Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Kazerad posted:

I probably won't be getting much more sensitive about it. I've probably said this elsewhere in the thread, but I kind of like playing with fire. I personally think the slut-shaming is an important part of her character, and I've found a certain percentage of people really respect that I leave it in (rather than creating a character who is messed up in more socially acceptable ways).
It's a fine aspect of the character, I don't think it should just abruptly never mentioned again or anything, but there's a lot of different ways of discussing it that carry different messages, even within the context of a second-person story with a biased narrator. Honestly I'd be happy if just "Katia got drunk and raped" wasn't a punchline again.

Also for what it's worth I think it's mitigated to a great degree by how sympathetic and likable you've made the character, so, you know, props for that :unsmith:

Kazerad posted:

I think it's a mistake to single out the slut-shaming on its own, though. The way I see it, one of Katia's major character flaws is that she bases her entire self-opinion off the views of others: the smallest compliment overjoys her and harsh words devastate her because she takes them both as objective measures of he self-worth. As far as she's concerned, someone saying she's a worthless slut means she that's what is, and her character is presumably shaped by years of that.
I think this is a great take on it and the more this idea comes through in the comic the better. A lot of it's gonna depend on how things resolve--the ending is your thematic capstone

Kazerad posted:

Personally I think the racism aspects are darker than the slut-shaming ones. It's easy to disregard when dealing with elves and cat people, but the way she casually drops terms like "hideous catlike fingers" or describes herself with words like "subhuman" shows a certain degree of racism against herself. While it's mostly used for humor like everything else, it plays into that whole somewhat saddening central theme that Katia has let everyone else's opinions shape who she is.
Yeah, it's darker if you live in Tamriel, but for readers who live on Earth, cat people don't exist. It'd be different if it was some Tolkienian stand-in style racism where Khajiits clearly represented some real-life ethnic group, but it's not really. Meanwhile women do exist and all the poo poo Katia catches for being a woman is exactly the same as in real life.

Incidentally, I thought the "hideous catlike fingers" line was hilarious, but interestingly it's a good example of those situations where it can be tough to distinguish between character voice and author voice--I read it as you poking fun at the inherent ridiculousness of cat-people (and maybe at the portion of readers who like her a little too much yadadamean) rather than Katia being self-hating.

Kazerad posted:

I know you're mostly just concerned for any readers who will be alienated or upset by the undertones, but I don't think you have to worry about it. From my extensive reader-monitoring I get the impression that most people do make that connection that it's an aspect of her character. A kind of unsettling one, but some people like that.
I'm alienated and upset by the undertones, and at least a few other people in this thread have mentioned it too, reader-monitoring notwithstanding. Obviously it's not a dealbreaker or anything, and like I said the real skeezy stuff is mostly around the beginning, but it's several people who've brought it up at this point (even if I end up hemorrhaging text about it every time someone does haha).

Good luck getting the site back online!

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kazerad posted:

Everything's cool; apparently even with the CDN the site was generating too much traffic for my host to handle. We've optimized it some and it should be back up as soon as they peruse our optimizations and hit the button to re-enable public access.

People were always saying that you'd know how prequel had to end if you'd played oblivion for more than five minutes, and they were right. It ended by randomly crashing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you join just to take that name and avatar? :golfclap:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Oh my God...

Katia sets things on fire with a cat burn. Thematic.

She knocks things over with puns. She makes them do flop takes.

:ughh:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Factory Factory posted:

Oh my God...

Once she gets a bit better at the telekinesis, she'll be able to punt things.

:rimshot:

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Cryophage posted:

Ahem.

Ohhh, right. Poor spider.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Glad to see the site is back. Also just wanted to say I absolutely adore the writing when Nah is in the driver's seat.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Factory Factory posted:

Oh my God...

It's like a crossover between Prequel and Condorito.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Oh my God...

So, she can only conjure magelight by making light of bad situations?

Thankfully, that's pretty much always!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Normal Adult Human posted:

People were always saying that you'd know how prequel had to end if you'd played oblivion for more than five minutes, and they were right. It ended by randomly crashing.

Zing!

On my end, I understand that the self-abuse end of her personality is one of the character flaws that she's trying to overcome.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So this just got reviewed by RockPaperShotgun:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/13/lord-of-the-cringe-oblivions-prequel-adventure

Is this what broke the server?

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
RPS is a good site, but I feel like they could have gone for more varied art samples than "Katia making a face with no context." Also it's interesting how a couple of the commenters have a big hate-on for MSPA.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Megazver posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/13/lord-of-the-cringe-oblivions-prequel-adventure

Now I want a Nondrick/Katia team-up.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Megazver posted:

Erm... My fault! I bumped the comic over to Richard and suggested he write something about it... Sorry?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Snollygoster posted:

RPS is a good site, but I feel like they could have gone for more varied art samples than "Katia making a face with no context." Also it's interesting how a couple of the commenters have a big hate-on for MSPA.

A lot of peeps on the internet have recently developed a hate-on for MSPA on account of its surging popularity. It's pretty reactionary I think, there rarely seems to be a good reason for it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
You know, something else I've been thinking about. Katia approaches life like an addict. Which shouldn't really be surprising.

See, a lot of people who are addicts (or even people who are stuck in other kinds of lovely situations), think that there's some magical point at which they can stop being addicted if they do the right things. Like, one day they will wake up and not want alcohol or heroin or whatever and everything will be right with the world. And the fact that that day never comes just means they aren't doing it right. Katia does that, too, only with her whole life. She keeps on saying "hey, THIS time everything is going to be awesome, forever", because one big event is obviously going to change everything and once things are awesome they will just stay awesome.

In real life, the only people who get out of their addictions are people who realize that they will have to deal with them every day, for the rest of their lives. I wonder if this character will realize the same thing about her life?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

idonotlikepeas posted:

You know, something else I've been thinking about. Katia approaches life like an addict. Which shouldn't really be surprising.

See, a lot of people who are addicts (or even people who are stuck in other kinds of lovely situations), think that there's some magical point at which they can stop being addicted if they do the right things. Like, one day they will wake up and not want alcohol or heroin or whatever and everything will be right with the world. And the fact that that day never comes just means they aren't doing it right. Katia does that, too, only with her whole life. She keeps on saying "hey, THIS time everything is going to be awesome, forever", because one big event is obviously going to change everything and once things are awesome they will just stay awesome.

In real life, the only people who get out of their addictions are people who realize that they will have to deal with them every day, for the rest of their lives. I wonder if this character will realize the same thing about her life?

So she's addicted to failure? I'm not sure I understand. She's obviously got a drinking problems but I think there's more to her than that...

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Volmarias posted:

So she's addicted to failure? I'm not sure I understand. She's obviously got a drinking problems but I think there's more to her than that...

I mean she thinks of her life as something that can be solved. Like, now that she can join the mage's guild everything will be fine. When in reality your life tends to veer between good and lovely pretty much all the time and you have to exert continual effort to keep it on an even keel. The first way is the way addicts think about their addiction, and the second way is the way people in recovery do.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

It will be interesting to see how this ends, although that's up in part to Kaz and in part to the players.
As you said, being addicted to something means that you will have to struggle with it forever: it is like a deep well, and even if you climb out it takes little to fall back in again.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

ok I'm dumb what did the vampire want us to say?

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Krinkle posted:

ok I'm dumb what did the vampire want us to say?

Thanks for patching up my wounds.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

but we said that

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Krinkle posted:

but we said that

Katia doesn't even recognize the cleaning of wounds and bandaging as healing, though. It's just this weird thing that vampires do (probably) - everyone knows that if you're hurt or sick, you drink a potion or get a healing mage to patch you up!

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Krinkle posted:

but we said that

Katia said "Thanks for covering me in spongey tape, for some reason." She doesn't realize that Nah was trying to heal her, since people just use potions to heal their injuries.
She's mad because people don't respect her healing technique.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

"Thanks for covering me in spongy tape for some reason?" is not the acknowledgement of her medical skill she was looking for.

That perfectly normal adult human was griping to herself earlier about people relying on potions and magic to the exclusion of old-fashioned medicine, and Katia literally does not know what bandages are.

e: sup bros ^

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Hahaha I just noticed this:

quote:

Her knees are a bit shaky, but you’ve got her bandaged up so she should heal and refill quickly.
I love how it just slips in there to remind us how Nah sees everyone as a blood container. Awesome.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Nah is a fun and complete character who is charming and funny and totally normal. I hope we see more of her.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Liquid Penguins posted:

Nah is a fun and complete character who is charming and funny and totally normal. I hope we see more of her.

I love all the gimmick names in this comic. Nah, Asotil, Gro-upp, etc.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Anybody else suspicious why a vampire would be grocery shopping? She had a whole bag, not just the jelly for her ploy.

I bet she was buying them for someone else~

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Piedmon Sama posted:

Anybody else suspicious why a vampire would be grocery shopping? She had a whole bag, not just the jelly for her ploy.

Going shopping is a normal human thing to do. So is keeping a well-stocked pantry. Unfortunately, all the food seems to go bad before she gets a chance to eat it, for some reason, so she has to go out and buy more.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I made a Khajit named Katia in Oblivion a while ago, and promptly forgot about it. I've been coming back to it the past few days, and just found out how to steal effectively (I've really new at this) and join the Thieves Guild. Since then, I went on a rampage and halfway through it realized that I was breaking into people's homes and stealing nothing but alcohol. I am the Robin Hood of wine. :buddy:

So thanks for getting me into Elder Scrolls games, Kaz. Please keep making Prequel forever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Piedmon Sama posted:

Are you suggesting that vampires do not need or even want to buy things? That once you consume only human blood, the nature of your consumerism is irrevocably changed?

You can't suck clothes, Piedmon Sama. You can't suck furniture.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just because she's a vampire doesn't mean she doesn't have friends over for dinner.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Cant Bethesda vampires eat normal food anyway?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

prahanormal posted:

Cant Bethesda vampires eat normal food anyway?

Yes, but it's better just to mush it all up into a potion of restore fatigue.

Speaking of which, Kazerad, is Katia going to dabble in alchemy at all? A few restore magicka potions could make her atronach sign a lot less of a disadvantage.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Daktar posted:

Yes, but it's better just to mush it all up into a potion of restore fatigue.

Speaking of which, Kazerad, is Katia going to dabble in alchemy at all? A few restore magicka potions could make her atronach sign a lot less of a disadvantage.

That would imply some level of skill and competency that just isn't present yet.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Kaz, did you ever read the old Boxdog threads by Weaver (and I guess the comic? I never read the webcomic that comes up whenever you google Boxdog and honestly don't know whether Weaver did that too)?

Like Prequel, it featured a down-on-her-luck female protagonist with few skills, none of which are particularly profitable. However, it's significantly more depressing. This might be part of the reason why I've never really felt like Katia has ever really had it that bad.

Related to that, I recall you being asked this at some point but I forgot the answer, have you read anything by Weaver? Like, Ruby Quest or something?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Kaz, did you ever read the old Boxdog threads by Weaver (and I guess the comic? I never read the webcomic that comes up whenever you google Boxdog and honestly don't know whether Weaver did that too)?

Like Prequel, it featured a down-on-her-luck female protagonist with few skills, none of which are particularly profitable. However, it's significantly more depressing. This might be part of the reason why I've never really felt like Katia has ever really had it that bad.

Related to that, I recall you being asked this at some point but I forgot the answer, have you read anything by Weaver? Like, Ruby Quest or something?

When Kazerad got fanart from Weaver on the MSPA thread, he said that he was his inspiration.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Looks like an update. The last panel is adorable, almost makes me sad for what's probably next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

raverrn posted:

Looks like an update. The last panel is adorable, almost makes me sad for what's probably next.

A long, fulfilling career at the Kvatch Mage's Guild? Why would that make you sad? You're weird.

• Locked thread