Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

leica posted:

If the car has a back seat, a child seat will work.

This, if a human fits back there (even uncomfortably), a baby seat will too. A baby seat takes up less room than an adult with no legs, which is where most of the discomfort in a 2+2 rear seat is.

e: Also, the BRZ at least has LATCH/ISOFIX points:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

emoltra posted:

I could have swore I saw that they were going to sell a booster seat that strapped into the middle on ft86club, but I can't seem to find anything.

edit: found it

It's from this accessory catalog.

This rules.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Baby seats aren't going to work in the back seat of one of these until the kid is old enough to forward face. In Canada that is legally required until age one and strongly recommended until at least age two. Not sure what the laws in the US are regarding this, but you don't want a newborn baby forward facing even if it is legal. Even a low speed collision can kill an infant due to the head mass to neck strength ratio.

Don't buy this car to haul a baby around.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Thankfully they offer a TRD Baby HANS device.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

You have to figure that mothers willing to sign off on their child being transported in one of these cars are very few and far between

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

EgonSpengler posted:

Baby seats aren't going to work in the back seat of one of these until the kid is old enough to forward face. In Canada that is legally required until age one and strongly recommended until at least age two. Not sure what the laws in the US are regarding this, but you don't want a newborn baby forward facing even if it is legal. Even a low speed collision can kill an infant due to the head mass to neck strength ratio.

Don't buy this car to haul a baby around.

If it has child seat anchors it will work as long as you don't have a crappy walmart seat and actually spend the money on a good one. It really depends more on the child seat, if you have a quality seat and the car has a backseat with anchors it will be fine, all it will take is moving the front seat forward more to accomodate a rear facing child seat.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

leica posted:

If it has child seat anchors it will work as long as you don't have a crappy walmart seat and actually spend the money on a good one. It really depends more on the child seat, if you have a quality seat and the car has a backseat with anchors it will be fine, all it will take is moving the front seat forward more to accomodate a rear facing child seat.

Which there is definitely enough room for.

Dave Inc. posted:

I... uh... that might actually be a good idea. HMMMMM :signings:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you stick with an MPV or something to start with, then buy one of these when the kid is, say, two or three, you should probably avoid them growing up with a lingering sense of shame at their lame-rear end parents. But is it worth the risk?

A modern childseat in a Toyobaru is going to be a drat sight safer than anything anyone posting here was transported around in as a sprog, and we're all here to tell the tale.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

leica posted:

Babies just poo poo and piss all over everything?......They have these things called diapers ya know :ssh:

If the car has a back seat, a child seat will work. Besides, the wife should have the baby hauler, so the cool car should only be used if the baby hauler can't.

This is AI 101 people :eng101:
Diapers won't do poo poo when they puke while you're drifting them home :colbert:

Dave Inc. posted:

Get one of those mini football helmets and run some straps through the face mask back to the seat headrest.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

japtor posted:

Diapers won't do poo poo when they puke while you're drifting them home :colbert:

Not enough diapers. :ninja:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

Babies just poo poo and piss all over everything?......They have these things called diapers ya know :ssh:

If the car has a back seat, a child seat will work. Besides, the wife should have the baby hauler, so the cool car should only be used if the baby hauler can't.

This is AI 101 people :eng101:

She has a Civic sedan so I'm not expecting to have to do anything - this is a few years off and I know jack about child care, but just want to make sure I have the capability if it comes to that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Worst case scenario, you can get a roof-mounted cargo pod and cut airholes. One of those long Yakima ones will probably be good up to about 14 years old depending on the size of the kid, and at that point they're big enough you can just give them a old Miata or RX-7 and push them out of the nest car.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

blk posted:

She has a Civic sedan so I'm not expecting to have to do anything - this is a few years off and I know jack about child care, but just want to make sure I have the capability if it comes to that.

I'm in the same boat with baby right over the horizon. Wife has a fiesta which will be primary baby hauler, and part of my justification on the brz/frs is that its far safer compared to my jeep XJ or my NA miata. I'm sure it will fit with no one in the passenger seat, and that's all most of us need. I don't think the jeep (98) has any sort of modern tie down for a baby seat, and while the miata lacks an air bag, it apparently still isn't proper to put a baby in the front.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
In a Jeep you just lash the baby to the roll cage.

Seriously, though, in the Miata, if there's no airbag the baby is fine up front (still needs to be facing backwards). That's one of the major reasons for the "Disable Passenger Airbag" switch that more and more modern vehicles have, along with pregnant ladies. lovely fact: a passenger airbag will gently caress up a late-stage pregnant woman pretty bad.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Good luck convincing most women a 21 year old roadster is child safe. :bang:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

beatdown posted:

It's quite unfortunate how over-protective some people can be with the first-born child. Alas, the safety argument might very well secure yourself a new BRZ/FRS ;)

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I did it, the safest accident is the one you avoid. (my household = 2 miatas)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

beatdown posted:

But think, people like me get cheap sports cars from the now newly made family man!

Actually that sounds like a great way to get a cheaper BRZ, wait for the poo poo the wife got pregnant and demanded a MPV sales :D

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I did it, the safest accident is the one you avoid. (my household = 2 miatas)

My focus and I learned that this isn't always possible this weekend :v:

I don't think it's totaled which is good because I'm not quite ready to buy a new car and these aren't out to check out yet.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

But think, people like me get cheap sports cars from the now newly made family man!

Hey, the miata isn't going anywhere! Nor the jeep. Now just need to get more creative with parking arrangements.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Which there is definitely enough room for.

I... uh... that might actually be a good idea. HMMMMM :signings:

You don't want to put a car type helmet on a baby, but a baby neck/leatte brace could work. You could have a built in bib on it for when they barf everywhere :3:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

InitialDave posted:

A modern childseat in a Toyobaru is going to be a drat sight safer than anything anyone posting here was transported around in as a sprog, and we're all here to tell the tale.

That's a completely specious point. The children who died due to less-safe child seats aren't here to weigh in on this because they're dead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dick Burglar posted:

That's a completely specious point. The children who died due to less-safe child seats aren't here to weigh in on this because they're dead.
:ssh: Stop ruining my Fox News approach to the argument.

Seriously, though, why do people assume that a sporty car is unsafe? Yes, it might be awkward to get the baby seat into the back, but that's a separate argument.

It feels like "small car unsafe, big car safe" logic, which is utter bollocks, and the kind of thing that saw people buy Chrysler Voyagers, a car so wonderful it scored zero stars in NCAP testing. If the car has isofix mounts, a good childseat design, and tests reasonably, I can't see why people would be any less willing to put their kids in it than the kind of Focus-sized hatchback that is the usual transport for thousands of families.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
I hadn't seen that picture before and I think it's answered my one question about this car. I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my STI betting on the fact that I'd be able to put my son in the back (can't do that in a miata or s2k). He's already 2.5 years and forward facing so I was pretty confident he'd fit(I can put his car seat in the back "seats" of my parents' extended cab Colorado) and the picture that was posted at least confirms that some kind of car seat will fit. I'm not so sure about a rear facing seat though. They take up a lot more room than forward facing seats even if they're smaller because they stick out so far forward up high making them hit the seat in front requiring it to be moved forward a good amount. It may work if that's all your carrying but it could may put the seat at a very uncomfortable position for a front passenger. Also, it will be really hard to get the kid in unless you have a baby seat that snaps into a base that stays in the car (highly recommended when the kid is small enough to just carry around in the seat). I don't know how you would even put a kid straight into a rear facing seat in the back of a 2 door, that just doesn't seem like it would work very well. For my situation, I just need to have the ability to carry my son in the car occasionally, if we all go somewhere we can just take my wife's car. Right now my son loves riding in my car, if we go anywhere he always wants to ride in "dada's car." Hopefully he'll appreciate the next one as much as I hope to, I know he will if it has a turbo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Automotive Insanity > baby chat thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Laserface posted:

It is quite the reminder that the demographic of SA has changed quite a bit since the first time I lurked/registered approximately 10 years ago. It's nice. I feel like I'm part of the trend :q:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

Nah, its just typical bland Toyota chat... "but how many babies can fit in it?"

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Rabble posted:

If you're okay with stuffing the babies inside of the tires, you should be able to carry five.

What helmet should I get for my baby for autox events?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Lazor posted:

I don't know how you would even put a kid straight into a rear facing seat in the back of a 2 door, that just doesn't seem like it would work very well.

Well, if it was a :argh: HATCHBACK :argh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lazor posted:

I hadn't seen that picture before and I think it's answered my one question about this car. I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my STI betting on the fact that I'd be able to put my son in the back (can't do that in a miata or s2k). He's already 2.5 years and forward facing so I was pretty confident he'd fit(I can put his car seat in the back "seats" of my parents' extended cab Colorado) and the picture that was posted at least confirms that some kind of car seat will fit. I'm not so sure about a rear facing seat though. They take up a lot more room than forward facing seats even if they're smaller because they stick out so far forward up high making them hit the seat in front requiring it to be moved forward a good amount. It may work if that's all your carrying but it could may put the seat at a very uncomfortable position for a front passenger. Also, it will be really hard to get the kid in unless you have a baby seat that snaps into a base that stays in the car (highly recommended when the kid is small enough to just carry around in the seat). I don't know how you would even put a kid straight into a rear facing seat in the back of a 2 door, that just doesn't seem like it would work very well. For my situation, I just need to have the ability to carry my son in the car occasionally, if we all go somewhere we can just take my wife's car. Right now my son loves riding in my car, if we go anywhere he always wants to ride in "dada's car." Hopefully he'll appreciate the next one as much as I hope to, I know he will if it has a turbo.

Gen Coupe can do it. But it's a bigger car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's nice to be able to do it when absolutely necessary but I really wouldn't feel comfortable taking my kid to daycare that way every day - I know it's quite safe relatively speaking but it would be at best annoyingly cramped to get the lil fucker in and out of it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It is quite the reminder that the demographic of SA has changed quite a bit since the first time I lurked/registered approximately 10 years ago. It's nice. I feel like I'm part of the trend :q:
I'm still as single as I was when I started back over 10 years ago.

Thus why I'll probably get this car, eat it childhavers :smug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dude don't get me wrong I have 0 children which I acknowledge and I plan to keep it that way for a while.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Just put the baby in the truck...

Speaking of which, how many dead hookers can I put in the boot? What is the hooker to tire conversion ratio?

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

emoltra posted:

I could have swore I saw that they were going to sell a booster seat that strapped into the middle on ft86club, but I can't seem to find anything.

edit: found it

It's from this accessory catalog.

I feel like that photo should have a baby in a full fire suit and helmet/microphone, possibly with a HANS device. On that note, you can be guaranteed the Subaru version will come with car seat mounts - even the STi has car seat indicators on both sides in the rear seats (I can't wait to strap a future child in back there...need to get a baby HANS).

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 14, 2012

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

You Am I posted:

I'm going to buy two - one for me, one for my also-non-child-having wife. :smugdog: :hf: :smug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

You've been drinking alone again, haven't you

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rabble posted:

Why am I getting the urge to post dead baby jokes?

What's red, sits in the corner and grows smaller?

(Baby in the corner shaving itself with a potato peeler)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Drinking alone while imagining drifting your brand new rwd jap box is the only way to drink imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress babies/girlfriends smoke tires every day.

(well and truly tied down by my girlfriend who wants baby in a year or so)

• Locked thread