Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
So there's this thing:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/08/kia-trackster-concept-chicago-2012/

AutoBlog posted:

The idea for the Track'ster is to run what your brung, so while the car itself carries everything you need to race, it also needs to move with enough hustle that you're not embarrassed behind the wheel. To that end, Kia has fitted the concept with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder producing 250 horsepower that gets dissected by a six-speed short throw manual transmission and further divided among all four 19-inch wheels by an all-wheel-drive system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well it was posted twice last page but I hadn't seen that particular photo of it. The more I look at it the more it just feels weird having those two grilles.

Edit: if I block out the upper grille with my thumb, it looks really mean and aggressive, but if i block the lower on it looks happy and derpy.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 9, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hell, you could even just go for an SS Sportwagon and still stomp anything short of a unicorn AMG/M/RS wagon, and put the saving from the HSV towards a blower.

Or one that's a couple of years old (if you're not worried about warranty then why not make that savage initial depreciation work for you)

Mighty Horse posted:

Wait..They sell the cruze in Europe? Its not a Vauxhaul something or other?

Don't you remember the Chevrolet Lacetti from previous seasons of Top Gear? The Cruze is essentially a bigger and slightly cheaper alternative to the Vauxhall Astra

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I never thought I'd say this, but the new Astra is a gorgeous, very tidy car. Even the 5 door looks pretty drat good.

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

I have the weirdest boner right now. :psyduck:

I really cant figure out if all the good things: 250hp, AWD, short throw shifter; can really outweigh the fact that it looks like a koopa troopa.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

This thing looks like a loving transformer from the headlights

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Thwomp posted:

Because we're still haunted by the boxy cars of the 80s and nice looking, non-overpriced hatches (GOLF :bahgawd:) are only just now coming onto the market.

How is boxy a bad thing? The one thing I can't stand about modern wagons is that they taper way too much, which cuts into usable cargo room and looks lame.

All I want is a modernized 70s Chevy Caprice wagon with a swing out tailgate. Is that so much to ask for?

extra: I found this photoshop while google image searching for a suitable caprice wagon pic:

loving :awesome:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

extra: I found this photoshop while google image searching for a suitable caprice wagon pic:

Return of the Roadmaster. Return of the Roadmaster :flashfap:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream_Filling posted:

Holy poo poo it's a Challenger wagon.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cream_Filling posted:

I would buy this tomorrow, minus the wood paneling. Put the new 6.0 V8 in that bad boy and you'd have a fun to drive, stylish wagon. On that same note, put the new Caprice into widespread release.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I would buy this tomorrow, minus the wood paneling. Put the new 6.0 V8 in that bad boy and you'd have a fun to drive, stylish wagon. On that same note, put the new Caprice into widespread release.
That kink on the rear door... unf. Slap a Chevelle badge on that fucker and I'd do whatever it takes to buy one. Keep the vinyl woodgrain. Classy as gently caress.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cream_Filling posted:

How is boxy a bad thing? The one thing I can't stand about modern wagons is that they taper way too much, which cuts into usable cargo room and looks lame.

Word, my dads 2010 avensis wagon its substantially bigger than my 1999 volvo, yet can't physically carry 3m stock, it's a breeze in mine.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That'd explain why you had to upgrade the power steering cooler for sure. What did you do for braking, uprated pads on the stock Brembo calipers and solid rotors?

Carbotech XP10 pads front and rear, stock calipers and rotors (the fronts are beefy 14.2" slotted rotors so the only advantage to different rotors would be to shed unsprung weight). I also had spindle ducts on the front brakes feeding from the stock brake ducting on the front fascia to provide additional cooling.

With some motul 600 brake fluid I legitimately never had any significant brake fading over the course of a 30 minute session.

The only issue I ever really had was after a number of track days the front calipers would invariably start to have issues with stuck pistons, but since refurbed calipers were something like $150 each after the core charge it was easy enough to just have an extra set on hand and replace as needed instead of blowing a ton of money on a set of stoptechs or something.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

I don't see any reason they couldn't bring back the Magnum as exactly that. V6 with the 8 speed auto, my daily driver for a good 10 years easy. No wood, black paint on the pillars and roof, tinted windows.

Edit: and different wheels

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Sounds like Kia's finally going to get its own RWD sedan based on the Genesis.

Rumors indicate either the 5.0 V8 rated at 429 hp or possibly a twin-turbo 3.3L V6 (which in a concept car was rated at 390 hp) as the top engine, using their new new 8-speed automatic transmission.

Interior spy pics follow (click thumbs for full):

Additional spy shots here also seem to show some sort of weird square shaped LED headlight elements.
http://thekoreancarblog.com/tag/kia-k9/

Sounds pretty cool. Now give us a proper sports sedan version Kia :orks:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 11, 2012

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Or give us ANYTHING with a worthwhile engine and three pedals.

the chic in psychic
Jun 18, 2005
U r Stinky Mcbutt mkay?
Im still kinda confused why im suddenly lusting after a Hyundai / Kia, and starting to feel disgusted by VW

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

the chic in psychic posted:

Im still kinda confused why im suddenly lusting after a Hyundai / Kia, and starting to feel disgusted by VW

The power of branding.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

the chic in psychic posted:

Because one's trying to take itself downmarket (see: the new US Jetta) and the other's trying to move upmarket?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 12, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because Motley Crue can sell anything .

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I have to admit I stopped at the Kia dealer on the way home Friday with a tape measure just to see if my gear would fit in it. It looks like it will so technically it's on my list of possible cars.

Of course what'll probably happen is I'll just cave before next summer and pay to fix my car's A/C instead. It'll buy me time to see if anything good is coming in 2013. I know Ford is ditching that godawful Fusion grille.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Some renderings of Infiniti's EMERG-E mid-engined hybrid sports car concept were leaked over the weekend.

It's going to be revealed at the Geneva Motor Show next month.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/infiniti-emerg-e-mid-engine-sports-car-concept-revealed-geneva-auto-show/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What makes the rear so Fisker Karma like? Lights and exhaust placement?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That 3/4 front render looks awful. Everything else is kind of nice though so maybe it's just perspective?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

What makes the rear so Fisker Karma like? Lights and exhaust placement?
It's an evolution of the Essence concept , but it's probably the narrower tail lights.

rscott posted:

That 3/4 front render looks awful. Everything else is kind of nice though so maybe it's just perspective?
Yeah, it's a CAD rendering and they don't show perspective very well.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
New m6. This car was pretty heavily telegraphed, but is still a pretty crazy car. 560hp, MPG improved by 30%.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/02/11/world-premiere-2013-bmw-m6-coupe/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ynotony posted:

New m6. This car was pretty heavily telegraphed, but is still a pretty crazy car. 560hp, MPG improved by 30%.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/02/11/world-premiere-2013-bmw-m6-coupe/

This is miles better than the old :( M6/6-Series. It's actually attractive now!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rscott posted:

I think it's because that's the only angle from which you get a good look at that horrible front grille.

Also, I take it the chances of this car making it to production are basically nil. It looks like a Mazda nagare concept from like 4 years ago. But then again, maybe this means that we'll see a volume version from Nissan on the same platform. (hahahahaha)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's an evolution of the Essence concept , but it's probably the narrower tail lights.

Yeah, it's a CAD rendering and they don't show perspective very well.

It looks like they have it set to show no perspective which is usually how you work because having it on in CAD programs while working is :psyduck:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys here's an actual car that's going to be produced and sold - The new Integra.

There's a base model 2.0l engine and a hybrid, who gives a poo poo. There's also a 2.4l with a 6 speed that puts out 201 hp, which is all right I guess if they're harkening back to the old Integra, but didn't the RSX have 210hp out of a 2.0l engine? Yes it was more rev happy but that was sort of the point. I guess they're trying to dial it down a bit to increase mass appeal, but it's a bit disappointing. Also the fuel economy for the 2.4l is 20/29, which seems pretty dismal for what's essentially a Honda Civic with a 2.4l engine and a 6 speed. By comparison, in the same rpess release they mention the new V6 RDX gets 20/28 in FWD and 19/27 with AWD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can basically consider the ILX 2.4 a Civic Si Sedan with more sound deadening and weight. The Civic Si Sedan is EPA rated at 22/31.

One of the consistent criticisms of the RSX-S and Civic Si 2.0 was that There Arent Enough Torks and now that they put in a KA24 or whatever to get some more torque now They Killed Its Soul. I get the complaints but it's like a no-win situation for Honda.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the people complaining about torque are wrong. :colbert:

The Si starts at $22k, if they price this at $24-$26k it might be all right.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Hey look, another boring Honda. Ho hum. Didn't the CEO just complain and admit to the media that all their cars are uninspired and boring? So they went out and plunked another one in the market, good job.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is it going to be called the Integra in NA again?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the people complaining about torque are wrong. :colbert:

The Si starts at $22k, if they price this at $24-$26k it might be all right.

That poo poo's going to start at 26 for the 2.4 I guarantee you. Then a 3 grand Tech package which is sun roof and fancy electronic bits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Is it going to be called the Integra in NA again?

Why would they do that, they're in love with their three letter naming convention and it's already called the ILX?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why would they do that, they're in love with their three letter naming convention and it's already called the ILX?

Throatwobbler called it the new Integra which is why I asked.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How the hell is this Integra ILX different than the TSX?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well at least it's a little attractive and generally non-hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Keyser S0ze posted:

How the hell is this Integra ILX different than the TSX?

It's going to be made and the TSX is being killed off? Also it's a Civic and the TSX is an Accord.