Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Red vs. Blue, it's Rock 'em Sock 'em Faeries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And then Annie just says "Your name is blue" and they love each other again.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

DarklyDreaming posted:

And then Annie just says "Your name is blue" and they love each other again.

She's going to name her Green or Yellow and it's going to be like one of those visual tests where the word is different from the color.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I want the 'Blue gets a name' chapter now. With more ppppphhhhhbbbbttttthhhh etc.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Those faces are amazing. I also love that the teacher is encouraging the fight - the fairies are completely insane.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nondevor posted:

Those faces are amazing. I also love that the teacher is encouraging the fight - the fairies are completely insane.

Or maybe they are the sanest of us all. Seriously.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Oneiros posted:

You know, this whole thing with the fairies reminds me of a bit in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell when the differences between Man and Fairie Kind are being discussed. Roughly, it was said that Man was gifted with reason and deficient in magical ability, while with the Fairie it was reversed.

Ha, that's about what these guys are--the gradeschool version of the Fairies in that book. Blue wants Red to be her friend because her hair goes up, while the gentleman with the thistledown hair wants to make Stephen Black the king of England because he is handsome.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
After hearing so much about this comic I bit the bullet and finally marathonned the gently caress out of this. Some of my favorite parts are the artful scenes with Coyote, I love how the etheric realm is like trippy acid land while not being totally indecipherable. They're really some of the most beautiful panels I've seen. :)

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
So, on a random reread, I noted on this page that Elgamore was training to (ostensibly) protect Surma. I wonder what that's all about? I hope we get a flashback chapter soon. I'm a big fan of seeing the Court history.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Everytime I get linked and reread a page(and by page I mean chapter) I realize something new about this world. Like Elagamore punching the father of a certain boy in love with Zimmy.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!
...Just started & got up to the current page of this comic.
Seriously, wow.

Lupus Rufus posted:

After hearing so much about this comic I bit the bullet and finally marathonned the gently caress out of this. Some of my favorite parts are the artful scenes with Coyote, I love how the etheric realm is like trippy acid land while not being totally indecipherable. They're really some of the most beautiful panels I've seen. :)

The artistic amalgamation that this web-comic takes up as it progresses is nothing if not amazing. It sttikes my imagination in ways I never thought of.

Or maybe that is because I didn't sleep to read it. I don't know.

I like all the different oddities in humor and the cultural mishmashing. It really is quite astonishing, and in my mind I can vilify not a single character.

It's as if Gunnercrigg Court were a whirlwind of grey-shading a pastel rainbow.

Edit: The last panels, I don't know whether to laugh or stare blankly in confusion.

TOAST7312 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 12, 2012

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Fecha posted:

So, on a random reread, I noted on this page that Elgamore was training to (ostensibly) protect Surma. I wonder what that's all about? I hope we get a flashback chapter soon. I'm a big fan of seeing the Court history.

Hmm... I had originally read that as Surma missing Carver - but then it's shown that he's not close with anyone. I'd love to see how Surma ended up with him instead of Eglamore.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Huh, now that I think about it, I'm wondering if this is Shadow 2's origin story. Especially panel 4.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Last night it snowed, so I put on a fire and read all three print volumes late into the night. It wasn't until I got to the final chapter, Fire Spike, that I realized the significance of reading Gunnerkrigg Court in front of a roaring fire.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Hmm... I had originally read that as Surma missing Carver - but then it's shown that he's not close with anyone. I'd love to see how Surma ended up with him instead of Eglamore.
Also, they mention Jim, aka Uncle Jimmy (that guy is Elgamore)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Here's some advice for the next comic Annie..Don't Stop Running!

Also, the last panel, pretty good representation of pulling your spirit back to your body really fast.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
It's the swarm of the fairies! I like how the two art styles are merged together in the last panel.

Now it's back to normally drawn land. I'll miss you ether pages, but too many at once would spoil us I think.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Is it weird that the last page made me think immediately of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx_0xqYZal8

It probably is. Antimony Carver Superstar.

Sheogorath
Mar 29, 2007

Haha I was in the process of trying to format that same video when I saw you posted that.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Ironic Twist posted:

Is it weird that the last page made me think immediately of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx_0xqYZal8

It probably is. Antimony Carver Superstar.

"NAME YOURSELVES!"

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Man, fairies are obnoxious.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Naming fairies in class is like chewing gum - if you're going to do it, make sure you've brought enough for everyone.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

So... will Wednesday's comic be the 1000th page uploaded? (Was looking at the address bar while flipping through the latest chapter.)

If so, that's quite the achievement!

Mahler fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 13, 2012

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So... why can't they name each other?

Hmmmmm...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

That'd be breaking the rules!

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Hmmmmm...

Because they would all be named Fatty and Crumbum.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think naming only works in the ether, as well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elftor posted:

Because they would all be named Fatty and Crumbum.

(I don't see any problem with that, and you can bet they wouldn't either...)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Hmmmmm...

For the same reason they can't kill themselves to get the new body. Whatever that is.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

The Walker posted:

For the same reason they can't kill themselves to get the new body. Whatever that is.

Humans don't ask to be born, and they do not get to name themselves (initially).

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Dodgeball posted:

Humans don't ask to be born, and they do not get to name themselves (initially).

That seems fairly likely. Very interesting idea.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
They can't name each other because they don't have names yet. Simple.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I would love the comic a million times more if all the fairies were suddenly named Fatty, Crumbum, Jabroni, and Dat Fish Guy.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I think we're about to see Annie making a slow look over her shoulder, seeing the entire classroom frozen mid-type, staring with shark-like intensity, faces split into voracious grins. A whole room of Zimmys.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Bussamove posted:

Dat Fish Guy.

I move that his name be "Gillbert"

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

BrainWeasel posted:

Or "Seamor"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gillbert Seamor Squidsworth.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.
Oh man you guys, I finally got my copy of Volume 3 and everything is so pretty. Gunnerkrigg is so awesome in book format (go buy one!).

I cannot wait until Volume 2 is back up on Topatoco so I can buy it up asap and then my collection will be complete.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

BrainWeasel posted:

HI, GILL!

(you have to yell, he's hard of herring) :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Olivia42 posted:

They can't name each other because they don't have names yet. Simple.

This has unsettling implications for the rest of the class, seeing as Red now has a name.