Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Revenant Threshold posted:

They do do some re-shoots that i've noticed - occasionally they do the obvious things like POV shots that straight-up can't be done at the time, and sometimes the members mention something funny that happened in a first take of their opening bit, but I don't believe they often re-shoot something and present it as the original footage except for the aforementioned POV shots and things like feet ominously walking down hallways, etc. Editing, on the other hand, I should think there's some amount of re-jiggering of shots to imply a more direct link, or to suggest that certain things are happening at the same time (or in different orders), if only for pacing and humour's sake. But I don't think there's enough time to do that all that often.

Ahhh, well that just means Kwang Soo really is awesome. On a related note, I'm torn between making Saint Agnes and HaHa's Pororo sound bytes as my ringtone for my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I made St Agnes into a death theme for APB. Haven't found any RM fans there yet.

Crack up whenever I hear it, I just need to think about that those five six seconds and I start giggling.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Bunch of great episodes coming up. 28 has what is by FAR the funniest karaoke segment in the entire show's run, and I believe 27-31 are the One Chance episodes which are all awesome.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh man, I'm watching episode 7, and Johng-kook telling the blue team how scared they'll be when he comes up to them and all they can hear are bells? Awesome.

Jong-Kook is so dreamy. :allears:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvTJaJjO3f8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_JyT_EpFTM

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

How can you forget one of their biggest hits Twist King!

http://youtu.be/ZvGkLaxMPDg

Selane
May 19, 2006

Even better when Haha is doing it just to annoy KJK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ggPXxjN1MCQ#t=29s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QRDoVcfhRbs#t=180s

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

So what is the deal with Shin Bong Sun? It seems like you're supposed to see her as being short and fat, because they seem to goof on that in a round about way, but she's not fat and is actually pretty drat cute in her appearances on Running Man. Also, she's pretty god drat funny.

I guess there is just something missing in translation.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

DFu4ever posted:

So what is the deal with Shin Bong Sun? It seems like you're supposed to see her as being short and fat, because they seem to goof on that in a round about way, but she's not fat and is actually pretty drat cute in her appearances on Running Man. Also, she's pretty god drat funny.

She's a gagwoman. That means their appearance always gets made fun of on variety shows, regardless of how they actually look. Basically anything for a laugh. Same with Song Eunee from Ep 24, who's not bad looking either.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

DFu4ever posted:

She's more than cute.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Watching episode 58 of Family Outing and Ji-hyo is the guest! It's like some alternative timeline Running Man.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Just finished watching episode 80. Fantastic episode, loved the guests, especially Ahra, who I never remembered liking too much in her appearances on other shows I've seen (may have just been happy together).

The biggest thing I noticed is the preview of the next episode with Gary in London. I saw about it on certain news sites after the fact, if I had found out about it earlier, I could have sought him out and BEEN ON RUNNING MAN.

:argh: STRESS :argh:

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 11, 2012

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

As someone who doesn't know or care all that much about Asian/Korean culture, I watched this show fully expecting to hate it. I figured it was just some hipster-style thing a handful of nerds latched onto just to feel unique or different. I was completely wrong, and I now count this show right up there with Top Gear as one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

The first episode was kind of difficult to watch, but I think that's because I really had no familiarity with the format or the players. If it weren't for my long-time desire to run wild in an empty mall I probably wouldn't have made it through the whole thing. By the third episode I was completely hooked, and I've now watched almost 70 episodes in the last two months or so.

I love pretty much the entire cast, though sometimes I wish HaHa would just shut up and go away. Also (40s episodes spoilers) I was happy when Joong Ki left because he was utterly worthless in challenges and I don't think he ever once said anything I laughed at. The only time I found him amusing was when everyone else was telling him just how worthless he is, but Kwang Soo is much much better for that anyway. Also Lizzie was pointless and I hardly noticed when she stopped showing up.

Kim Jong Kook is the man. I love how so much of the show's humor is derived by just how terrified everyone else in the cast is of him and his ability to appear seemingly from nowhere. I also love how 90% of the treachery targets him as well. I really think the show revolves around him as much as it does Jae Suk.

Song Ji Hyo too is a downright awesome competitor. Also she is so disgustingly adorable that it's physically painful to watch her, and I generally don't find Asian girls very attractive.

Jae Suk is great. The first appearance of Yoo Hyuk might be the hardest I've ever laughed at anything in my life. Also that moment in one of the earliest hide & seeks when he's in the elevator and the doors open to the sight of KJK savagely tearing someone's tag off, and he just freaks the gently caress out, was almost as good.

I love how Kwang Soo and Suk Jin are both loveable losers, but in completely different styles of incompetence. I do wish Suk Jin got more screen time, but that's probably because he's always eliminated first.

I'm curious as to how long these variety shows last though. They seemed to make a big deal about their one year anniversary, and I kind of got the sense that most of these shows don't last that long. I can see how it would be hard to keep up the quality when there's a new episode every week, but if anything Running Man only seems to get better the further you get into it.

edit: also, this show has made me seriously consider taking a vacation to South Korea. It looks like a really cool place.

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 11, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I just finished ep 42 and I'd have to rank it right below Die Hard and 1st Spy as the best hide and seek segment ever. This one is a classic from top to bottom.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Lyer posted:

I just finished ep 42 and I'd have to rank it right below Die Hard and 1st Spy as the best hide and seek segment ever. This one is a classic from top to bottom.

If you think that, wait until you get to the sequel episode! Ep 74 and EVERYONE HAS SUPERPOWERS.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 27:
Guests: Max Chang-Min, U-Know Yun-Ho (both TVXQ)

This is another really great episode; it’s always nice when you have a show in which there are no missteps. Also, attractive guests!

We start off where we left off, with the unpunished members waiting around for the punished. What the hell is Haha wearing? First up is another “Find the Guests” mission, only this time rather than a public place with regular people going about their business, it’s a closed location with many confederates. As we’ll see here and in future episodes, this gives a much greater ability for guests to strategize with the others to accomplish their mission, as well as allow the confederates to be fake guests and lead off the members on a merry chase. We also have the new trick that is the mission; the guests have to find member’s name stamped Running Balls; if they do, those named members are out, effectively moving the time-based failure out of the hands of the guests and onto the members. I have to say, I really like this format.

One of the joys of it is that the members are incredibly confused by the whole thing, especially when they get out for seemingly no reason at all. This is also the start of Suk-Jin unmasking attractive women just to get a look at them, something he ends up doing basically whenever he has the chance. The choir intimidating Jae-Suk with their singing was great, as was him then discounting a real guest from about a metre away. If you’re wondering, Dong Band Shin Ki is the TVXQ’s Korean name. Ji-Hyo rejecting Suk-Jin’s shoes even as a better fit is pretty hilarious.

Next up is the Chain Drawing game which crops up basically in every Asian variety show ever at some point, and for good reason, as it’s a fun one, and certainly so here. Joong-Ki should get a refund for those classes. And I’m pretty sure that rhinoceros is the worst of a bad lot, seriously. And the various recognizable drawings of Gary were hilarious.

Last up is another new type of game, the One Chance challenge. The entire group together have a single chance to correctly perform some task without failing, in order to earn total immunity from punishment; on failure, all those without Running Balls are punished (and, in this case, they get to take one of the others down with them). This time it’s a dance task, and Gee really does go disturbingly well with Abba. And of course, we can’t have a dance task without Yoo-Know-Who showing up to show off his skills.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I have nothing to add except TVXQ can dance very well and really are good looking. We're finally starting to see Joong-Ki fall into his role here.

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose
I also have nothing to add except I'm gay as hell for Yunho.

jagidrok
Sep 23, 2010
DBSK is just attractive people

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Yeah, plus the venue itself is pretty awesome. Oh, and Phantom of the Opera is one of my favorite musicals. Coupled with the awesome guests, that makes it one of my personal favorites.

Side note: Just watched last week's episode. OH MY GOD Go Ah-ra IS SO BLOODY BEAUTIFUL HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THIS BEFORE :bang:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm caught up after having to take a break while transitioning to a new computer.

Episode 23: Hyung-Rae was a hilarious guest and anyone who is down on this episode is dumb. :mad: With so many episodes, I'm perfectly OK with a guest that steals the show every now and then, especially when they do it so well. Slapstick can get a pretty bad wrap, but that was easily some of the best physical humor I've ever seen and I laughed every time he did anything. Brilliant entertainer.

Episode 24: Nice to see Euni again, and Kyung-Shil was a very strong guest who was amazingly awesome. Loved the heart rate face-off challenge, and I loved the kids being so excited for Jae-Suk. That man is just a global treasure.

Episode 25: A whole museum dedicated to Korean comics is damned amazing. I loved the cosplay intro (they should have stayed in costume the whole episode), and Bo-Young is super loving adorable and tiny. She was wearing high-heeled boots and she was still the shortest person in the group. Best moment was Kwangsoo's what-the-gently caress when he realized Ji-Hyo was standing right behind him in costume.

Episode 26: Though Lizzy's presence sort of waned over time, I do miss her. Having two female cast members helped to round things out a bit more. I liked the new take on the hide-and-seek, and Jin-Young was pretty good at both being sneaky and being a Latin singer. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought sitting down and eating was part of his mission, not him being cocky.

Episode 27: The whole Phantom of the Opera mission was goddamned amazing and executed perfectly. Once again, the editing team does an awesome job of setting up the finish. The drawing game made me hurt my throat from laughing so hard when I saw that loving rhinoceros. The musical bit wasn't really anything special, but it worked well enough due to stepping on hands and Ji-Hyo's miscues.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Episode 81 seemed pretty fun but I just have to mention the ending.

He did it! He did it! Gwangsoo won an episode of Running Man all by himself!!!! AWESOME!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

qbert posted:

He did it! He did it! Gwangsoo won an episode of Running Man all by himself!!!! AWESOME!
Ladies and gentlemen, the dream has come true.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Go Ah Ra is awesomely beautiful.

Also awesomely beautiful is what's mentioned in the spoilers. That's a drat sign of the apocalypse.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

qbert posted:

Episode 81 seemed pretty fun but I just have to mention the ending.

If there is a reason to binge through the rest of the series, it's this.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 28:
Guests: Kim Byung-Man

1 2 3 4

From the name of the location and guest, I had no idea which episode this was. And then it started, and I was like “Ah, it’s this one”. First up this week is the same as last week, with the members hunting for the unknown guest with him being able to get them out. This is the first appearance of the maknae FD, whose job it becomes to wear a wig and act as suspiciously as possible during these segments and waste time, a job at which he’s pretty successful. That little kid innocently giving Byung-Man away was hilarious, as were Haha’s attempts at pandering to get the info out of her. And I liked Gary singlehandedly ensuring the game went on for longer than it could have.

Straight into the next bit, with the musical cue transforming into Ji-Hyo singing the same song, which I can’t say I would have known if not for the annotations – everyone else immediately stopping her from having another go was pretty great. Anyway, this is Diet Karaoke, where the microphones are strapped to various gym equipment which the members have to use in order to sing, with the goal to win and not be forced to eat food, as the winners will be the ones who gain the least weight. This seems rather slanted in favour of Jong-Kook, given his athleticism and having a great voice, but he does have Ji-Hyo so it’s pretty balanced. Speaking of, it’s a weight challenge, so there are the inevitable jokes about how much she weighs. I loved poor Gwang-Soo being bent more and more double as the song went on. The way that Ji-Hyo announces the song they’re going to do is seriously adorable. And it all descends via mocking Jong-Kook into random dance shenanigans, which are entirely awesome.

After all that, the next game is themed around the guest. It’s disturbing how much that hairclip makes Joong-Ki look cute. This is another Once Chance game, with the simple winning result being to beat Byung-Man. And “there will be a serious problem” is probably my favorite euphemism ever. And finally, Joong-Ki’s talent is discovered; it’s just a shame that the ability to suck isn’t at all useful in the field of showbusiness. And to finish off, the revelation that Gary is in fact Bruce Lee reincarnated.

The next episode is one of those I’d consider among the best. So look forward to it (unless you’ve seen it already).

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 13, 2012

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Oh my god Ji Hyo singing. I love how it seems like an outtake, something they filmed while they were testing the equipment or something. I thought i'd skipped a part how it just cuts straight into it, without context or announcement of the next segment starting. But there it was, existing bare as like some wish fulfillment - the greatest thing i've ever seen in my life. The crew knew this as well and knew they must put it to air. The most entertaining thing in an already typically entertaining shoot and the world must see it regardless of its place in the show. Man... The passion. That high note. She puts Ha Ha to shame. And then she wants to try again! What makes it even more incredible is i kinda expected her to be able to sing.

Selane
May 19, 2006

I think the whole musical part in the sauna might be my single favorite mini-segment in the entire show's run. There's so much hilarious poo poo in there I wouldn't even know where to begin listing it.

- Jihyo's 'singing'
- Sukjin rapping
- Jihyo's dance during Twist King
- Sukjin getting hit in the balls with the giant rubber band
- Saranghae, saranghae, SARANGHAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEE
- Sukjin belting out his lines at the wrong time by himself

Actually the whole time the yellow team was singing was funny. "Jaesuk why did you pick this loving song?" "I DON'T KNOW!"

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
With all this Jihyo talk, I had to include this from the show Family Outing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0-lkpYJ9lM

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I love the Meet the Master sketches, so I was very happy to see Byung-Man in this episode. He really is a master, and totally did everything to perfection. If only that little poo poo of a kid didn't sell him out, he would have completed his mission.

I loving loved that the Diet Karaoke game just devolved into regular karaoke and everyone just having fun and goofing off. You just can't stop these people from having a good time.

Also I was too amused by the One Chance mission when they were like "There still isn't anything for Ji-Hyo to do!" and then the next task on the list was "SUCKING". My mind is always in the gutter, so.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maknae PD really did his job so well this episode though I'm kinda concerned about him constantly dressing up as women.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

General question about Korea, what's up with Busan? They mention it a *ton*, is there some sort of stigma about that place or the people there?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Is this really the first appearance of Dong Wan? It's kinda weird seeing him as he was then compared to his pretty much expected appearances now.

Byung Man has to be one of the greatest guests. Very funny, very active during the opening sections and introduced a great premise for the one chance section.

Lyer posted:

General question about Korea, what's up with Busan? They mention it a *ton*, is there some sort of stigma about that place or the people there?

It seems to just be like one of the go to holiday destinations, kinda like Blackpool in England. I never noticed any stigma or mocking of the place or the people. One thing that may be true though is that they have a funny accent that people like to laugh at.

EDIT: I've posted about this on the Invincible youth 2 thread too, but I think I may have noticed someone in the new episode. I may be wrong, but is this the most photogenic man?

He's an audio producer there too. Kinda crazy to see him show up there if I'm right.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 13, 2012

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Lyer posted:

I figure it's just 'the other big city', next to Seoul. Like New York and Los Angeles.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

reflir posted:

I figure it's just 'the other big city', next to Seoul. Like New York and Los Angeles.

Yup. 2nd biggest city in Korea. People from Busan have a noticeable accent (not really looked down upon, per say, but a kind of "Oh, you're from Busan, right?"), it's a decent holiday destination because it's a big city but also near the sea (holy jesus seafood is great there).

Don't really notice a "stigma" or something like that about Busan (I live in Seoul), but you might get teased a bit about your accent. Older people might have the whole regional differences thing (imagine a old Southerner hating on them Yankees or sth).

A stereotype exists of Busan men being: tough (no aegyo, very manly), slightly less cultured (ie: less sophisticated in areas like language than a Seoul dude, but not necessarily in a bad way), not speaking much (related to the tough image). Oh, and they're supposed to be crazy for women from Seoul (ie: without accents).

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
That "they want our women!" bit seems to crop up in basically every stereotype by nearby others, ever.

Episode 29:
Guests: None.

1 2 3 4 5

A very different episode today, at least to start with. There are no guests, to start with, though that’s not unique, and it’s a pretty awesome episode, though that’s not unique either. This time around we’ve got the first of what I’d call the roaming challenges – the members drive around Seoul (usually) or some other area and stop to perform tasks along the way. This time round, it’s a competition between Jae-Suk and Jong-Kook as to who is the most leaderly, by collecting more of the others. It’s an excellent idea if only because it means we get to see Jong-Kook being beguiling, and both the leaders here lying, cheating, and backstabbing to try and get the other on-side. I feel the need to say I figured out the riddle as soon as they read it out. :smug: I loved the fact that Gwang-Soo is so happy about the idea to start off with, and then gradually gets the normal reality shoved in his face (not to mention the frequent cutbacks to the poor guy). Frankly basically every minute of this bit is hilarious, and I could easily mention every drat thing that happens, so I’ll refrain. It’s just entirely excellent.

When they finally get to the location, the first mission is to create profiles for all the members, by taking a photo of the sea creature which looks most like them. That mannequin really did look a lot like Gary. And then we have the expected height/weight lies when it comes to the actual profiles, although we skip Gwang-Soo, which seems oddly appropriate. Last up, another One (well, ten) Chance mission, but this is the first time that the members really get into it and find themselves determined to succeed. Their task is to stand on a balancing beam above a tank of water, and pass the right-most person along to the far left. The way that Suk-Jin frantically waves his arms about when the others are “helping” him with his cramp is randomly hilarious. What I like most about these segments when it works like this is that you’re there hoping they’ll succeed, too, so when Jong-Kook has his idea it turns pretty- well, not serious, but certainly suspenseful.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Best part of this ep was seeing Gary get kidnapped from his restaurant and shoved in the trunk.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I really enjoy all the 'One Chance' challenges. It's not often all the cast members actually work together, unless they're getting chased and eliminated, and there's something awesome about seeing them work as a team to overcome things like this.

There's one coming up in a couple of episodes that's my favorite of the bunch!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I loved the "collect the cast members" segment they start off with here. There is always a lot of lying, backstabbing, and plain cheating going that makes it all so wonderful. I really have to hand it to these guys, being totally wet and suspended over a pool of water at 2-3 in the morning probably isn't pleasant at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Didn't they also edit out Sukjin's profile as well? I don't remember seeing it when I watched the episode for the first time.