Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Schmeev posted:

2. Dr. Strangelove - Metal Gear Solid 3 told me about this and who am I to question my favorite game, especially about black comedies?

I assume you are in a lighter state of mind? (It's a MSG3 joke)

Cobra Verde is amazing, it has everything you want from a Herzog film. Bizarre actors, twisted nature, haunting cinematography, crazy African Kings and one incredible ending. Quite beautiful and wonderful in it's own strange Herzog way, it's a bit messy and rough around the edges but wouldn't want it any other way. I'm only missing Nosferatu from the Herzog-Kinski vault, but Cobra Verde might be my second favourite from this partnership, behind Aguirre. A lot loving better than Woyzeck, I'm still not sure what the hell that one was about.

Also knocked out two others from the list.

Richard III which is a great adaptation of the play, with Sir Ian Mckellen having way way to much fun playing the villainous role of Richard. Whole cast is nice but it's Mckellen show, the man is unforgettable especially when he breaks the fourth wall. The "updated" aesthetics to the play give it a whole different kind of visual feel, the nazi imagery slowly creeping into the image was a nice and creepy touch, and how WW2 warfare changed the dynamics in the last battle, and of course the "My horse" line, which was quite funny inserted.

L'Âge d'or is a bit too long, even if it's just 60 minutes. Doesn't really have the same energy or weird of Un Chien Andalou, but once you get past some of the most boring moments it gets quite funny, and the venom towards organized religion and upper class still has some bite. It's good and I'll see if I can get around to watch more Bunuel.

SHAME:

The Dead The last film John Huston made.

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Keeping up with the physical comedy hour.

Samurai Rebellion Want to watch more Kobayashi before getting around to The Human Condition.

Dersu Uzala Kurosawa goes Soviet.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America Road trip!

The Age of Innocence Romantic Scorsese?

The Man Who Knew Too Much Alfred Hitchcock remakes Alfred Hitchcock.

The Red Shoes Ballet with The Archers.

Hannah and Her Sisters Roger Ebert calls it the best movie Woody Allen ever made.

The Outlaw Josey Wales The Clint Eastwood The Western and The 70's.

Have watched so far 65 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Electronico, go with The Outlaw Josey Wales.

So my feelings for Black Narcissus are mixed. The photography is astounding. The lighting is both beautiful and often frightening, the shots are done perfectly. The only other film I've seen by either Powell or Pressburger is Peeping Tom, and I can definitely see that visual style in both films and I love it. The story however does lack some. The cinematography can only carry the film so far, and it really drags in the middle. The last twenty minutes make up for some of the slower moments though. Also, if Criterion has one of their "Three Reasons" videos for this film, David Farrar's shorts better be one of them.

I also watched A Woman is a Woman, and I was sadly disappointed. Once again, amazing visuals, but a weak plot with annoying characters. That's not to say there's not great moments, but it also can drag for long stretches. After the initial shock of the editing (which I loved) it starts to become the norm and the story doesn't carry itself too well (at least not for me). It's also a bit sexist, it seemed like Godard was saying women are shameless and just want babies and nothing else. If this was satire and it went over my head, please someone tell me, because it really hurt my opinion of the film and Godard, and I love Breathless.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - Got this as a blind buy, mostly because The RZA praised it. It's been sitting around for a few months now.

Clash of the Titans - The original 1981 film. Another one that I dug out of the bargain bin and have left sitting around.

The Cow - Watched a Dariush Mehrjui film in my Film & Gender class last semester and have been wanting to check out some of his other stuff. This seems interesting.

A Hard Day's Night - As a Beatles fan I should really see this.

On The Waterfront - I should really expand my Brando horizons. I'm not too familiar with his early roles.

3 Women - Never seen any Altman.

Duck Soup - I have not actually seen anything by the Marx Brothers. Ever.

Le Doulos - Since it came first, I'll watch this before Le Samourai or Le Cercle Rouge.

Buffalo '66 - From what I've read about Vincent Gallo he seems like a bit of an rear end. But I've never seen a film by him and maybe he'll impress me.

Scarface - De Palma's. After countless imitations and Tony Montana becoming a cultural icon, I should probably give this a go. I wonder when the next time I'll have 3 hours is though.

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Gojira; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 13, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

I also watched A Woman is a Woman, and I was sadly disappointed. Once again, amazing visuals, but a weak plot with annoying characters. That's not to say there's not great moments, but it also can drag for long stretches. After the initial shock of the editing (which I loved) it starts to become the norm and the story doesn't carry itself too well (at least not for me). It's also a bit sexist, it seemed like Godard was saying women are shameless and just want babies and nothing else. If this was satire and it went over my head, please someone tell me, because it really hurt my opinion of the film and Godard, and I love Breathless.
I don't think anything went over your head, it's an irreverent sex comedy. I disagree that he's saying ALL women want babies, but I did get the vibe that both sides in a relationship can be stubborn and childish, but because women have charms the guy will always lose.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Go for more P&P - I suggest Red Shoes, A Matter Of Life And Death, and The Small Back Room.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Go for more P&P - I suggest Red Shoes, A Matter Of Life And Death, and The Small Back Room.

I'll keep a good look out for them. My university library has a small but solid collection, a good amount of Criterions too, but I'm mostly limited to Netflix Instant at the moment. Although typing this it dawns on me that if I'm willing to wait, I can pretty much request any movie I want as an inter-library loan, so I should really start taking advantage of that.

On an unrelated note, I'm intrigued by Pier Paolo Pasolini but I've never seen a film of his. Where's a good starting point? (Although I really don't know if I'm ready to watch Salo any time soon. :ohdear:)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

A Hard Day's Night - As a Beatles fan I should really see this.

Yup!

The Outlaw Josey Wales is a great fun western if maybe 15 minutes too long. By the time he goes meet Ten Bears I completely forgot about the other dudes chasing him. Still is very fun, with some gorgeous cinematography to fill the eye. And of course Clint Eastwood playing a badass gunslinger, though he almost gets completely out shined by the supporting cast, mainly the Indian Chief and the girl. "Guess I'm not so old eh? :smug:" You can see a lot of ideas on this film that would later be expanded/reworked in Unforgiven, the characters of Josey Wales and Bill Muny make an interesting comparison as too how both deal with their violent behaviour and past.

SHAME:

Samurai Rebellion Want to watch more Kobayashi before getting around to The Human Condition.

The Age of Innocence Romantic Scorsese?

The Red Shoes Ballet with the Archers.

Hannah and Her Sisters Roger Ebert calls it the best movie Woody Allen ever made.

Short Cuts Not sure what this one is about other than it is an Altman film and lasts for three hours.

Have watched so far 66 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
We watched a little of The Age of Innocence in our European History class in high school. I'm... honestly not sure why, I think maybe the teacher just wanted a day off. Maybe there was a sub. All I remember is that it was Scorsese and Day-Lewis, but that's more than enough for a recommendation.

I love you, Kenneth Branagh. Hamlet was excellent. Like I said, I’ve never seen or read Hamlet before, so most of the story was new to me. Of course, there were parts where I couldn’t follow the dialect, but even when I missed some words, the acting and direction was so good that I got the feel and basics of what was happening. For instance, Ophelia is talking about her relationship with Hamlet, and it’s a little hard to follow, but then there’s a cut to them in bed and you understand how close they are. Branagh makes good use of the medium. When filming a play, it’s easy to simply set the camera down and let the actors read the lines as though you were watching a stage performance, but if you’re going to make a movie, take advantage. Early on, Hamlet is running to meet the ghost in the woods, and he gives his entire soliloquy, but the camera doesn’t stay on him but instead rushes through the woods, helping build suspense. There’s a lot of quick camera motions to keep the action moving (including one very Scooby Doo/Benny Hill chase scene through the mirrored doors), and sometimes there’ll be a montage of action juxtaposed with voiceover dialogue to match it. My favorite scene, though, was probably Billy Crystal’s gravedigger, who sank into the role while still being genuinely hilarious. And my wife, who has studied fencing, says the fencing scene at the end was surprisingly convincing for a movie. This was an excellent introduction to one of the world’s most famous plays.

Rating: 4/4

P.S. The movie was on two discs, and for some reason Netflix listed the runtime as the number of minutes on the first disc only. Rest assured, this was the full four hour version. The person who originally told me to watch it should hunt down the uncut film.

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

24. The Great Dictator- I think this Chaplin kid may be going somewhere. Maybe I should take a look at one of his movies.

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

29. Gandhi- Bald Ben Kingsley takes on the British Empire. P.S. Ben Kingsley is British. Sure, why not.

30. Platoon- "Hey, dad, I made a Vietnam movie, too!" "That's nice, Charlie." "Ah, screw you! I'm gonna go snort coke off a hooker's rear end." Also the Green Goblin is in this.

36. My Dinner with Andre- This stars Wallace Shawn. I liked the movie where he kidnapped princesses with Andre, but he died in that one... I assume this is a prequel?

37. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- The fall's gonna kill you, and something about the Bolivian Army :confused: in the end. That's all I know about this one. William Goldman talked about writing this in the introduction to Princess Bride- sounded good.

38. Easy Rider- I think this is about Jack Nicholson getting high? Well, I know it's the forefront of the American New Wave/Indie movement, so I'm sure it's worth seeing.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 14, 2012

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I have to ask. Why are you calling Scorsese a clown? He's the most charming director alive.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

csidle posted:

I have to ask. Why are you calling Scorsese a clown? He's the most charming director alive.

I love Scorsese. It's a joke. It was mainly because I had three different Scorsese's on my original list, so it was sort of like "oh, you're on here again... sigh." Actually, I think it was something the Nostalgia Chick said once, but I can't remember in what context, so it doesn't really make sense.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I seem to have killed the thread. Random observations until I get a recommendation:

What's Robin Williams doing in my Shakespeare? I mean, he plays the part well, but pretty much the whole time I was thinking "that's Robin Williams." Towards the end, with all the action going on, I was able to get over it.

George Lucas clearly saw Yojimbo. A scene early on where a few thugs brag about how they're wanted fugitives was almost identical to the Mos Eisley "he doesn't like you" scene.

Just trying to keep things alive.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 15, 2012

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

9. The Aviator -

By the power vested me in me I now decree that you may finish off your original list.

The French Connection - I'd heard many good things about this but was underwhelmed. It was easy to get through but the way things transpired didn't make sense (especially on the train). The train sequence bothered me because a cop gets shot and then you have the workers going up obliviously to the front acting confused as to why the train didn't make its stop. I guess they could've been farther up the train sequence but the way it was edited didn't make sense. Also, the scenes when Doyle goes into the bar and turns it upside down seemed ridiculous.

They took all the worst attributes of Dirty Harry and amplified them.

I see that there's a sequel.

IMDb list:

#194 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#219 Drive - Another now out on DVD. The general public won't stop talking about this one. 2/7/12

#247 3 Idiots - Read some reviews but that's all. 1/17/12

#256 Before Sunrise - Relatively recent and I haven't even heard of it. 12/29/11

#264 Duck Soup - I haven't seen a Marx brothers film. Another one of those SHAMEFUL oversights. 2/1/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1985 Out of Africa - Can't say I know anything about it. 12/29/11

1980 Ordinary People - Heard of it but haven't seen it. 2/1/12

1968 Oliver! - I'm a little familiar with the story. 2/7/12

1967 In the Heat of the Night - I remember the TV series vaguely. Not sure if it's related to the film at all. 2/10/12

new 1966 A Man for All Seasons - Know nothing about this one. 2/14/12

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zogo posted:

#219 Drive - Another now out on DVD. The general public won't stop talking about this one. 2/7/12

So you won't feel left out.

The Age of Innocence is a tricky one, it seems Scorsese wasn't very invested in the whole romance aspect of the film, it hits it's stride when it gets to talk about the New York society of the 19th Century and all of it's dark secrets, and strange rules of conduct. All the inner gossip between the families and how people should and should not behave, all that was quite catching but the romance between Newland and Olesnka that compromises the rest of the film seems to be a burden and after awhile an excuse to have lavish dinner scenes and a big park set, though very nice production values. I would call it good, if only very flawed.

SHAME:

Short Cuts Not sure what this one is about other than it is an Altman film and lasts for three hours.

The Seven Year Itch The one with Marilyn Monroe and a subway grate.

Have watched so far 67 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Electronico6 posted:

Take a trip with Monsieur Hulot.

L'Avventura simultaneously met and upended my expectations. I had known that the ostensible plot to find a missing girl would remain unresolved by film's end, but it surprised me how Anna's disappearance cast a pall over the proceedings, how it drove the momentum of the narrative, how it led the two main characters to a deeper understanding of what they wanted out of a relationship. It's a really disorienting film as well, with the camera constantly breaking the 180° rule and all those complex mirror shots; Antonioni also does that thing Leone does where the camera focuses on a faraway landscape and then suddenly, a character is panned to/steps from the side of the frame as if they were there the whole time. The landscape itself was gorgeously photographed and absolutely reflects the psychologies of its two main characters: Claudia is affiliated with raw nature (she is able to successfully rebuff Sandro on the island and is always looking out the window), while Sandro is affiliated with man-made construction (he successfully seduces Claudia after the film leaves the island & sticks to towns and is revealed to be an architect himself), leading to the meaningful, yet ambiguous shot that closes the film. Still not my favorite Antonioni (I think the ending to L'Eclisse is even better), but certainly a worthwhile film in its own right.

3 Women - More Altman that's available to me, hooray

Ace in the Hole - Vicious Billy Wilder satire? Sign me up!

An Autumn Afternoon - I've burned through nearly all of the single Ozu releases, as well as the Silent and Late Ozu boxsets. Let's finish up what I have (until I inevitably buy that combo-pack of The Only Son/There Was a Father).

Cutter's Way - A critic I enjoy reading said this was his favorite film of the 80s. I probably won't agree with him, but it's obscurity intrigues me and hey, Jeff Bridges.

La Dolce Vita - I guess this is one of the two big Fellinis I have to see, so I'll just put this here.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Welles is always worth a watch, even if compromised.
My Dinner with Andre - I blind-bought this before the Community episode. :smug:

Rashomon - I really haven't seen much of major Kurosawa.

The Thin Red Line - I'll have technically seen all of Malick's features once I see this.

Wooden Crosses - I blind-bought the Bernard Eclipse set on the basis that this obscure French film about WWI was some kind of hidden gem. Now, I'll be motivated to see if this was true or not.

Shameless: Days of Heaven, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Sansho the Bailiff, Ikiru

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 15, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
La Dolce Vita

I didn't care for this when I first saw it, probably because seventeen-year-olds have questionable taste. Certainly it's not as intoxicating as 8 1/2, and, in some ways, not as deep, but it's so loaded with stuff, it's three hours of stuff, that you could spend a year sifting through everything it suggests, alludes to, and illustrates. What flew over my head as a teenager was how melancholy a film it is. I remember getting a cathartic kick out of Marcello's rant at the end, and then being disappointed that it doesn't really come to any dramatic climax, but that wouldn't fit the film. It's appropriate that everyone else sort of rejects him, because how could they do otherwise? The sequence that hit me the strongest, surprising to me, was with his father when they visit the nightclub. He seems so out of place and time, desperately clinging to the stallion he used to be, dragging laughs out of his mouth and pretending not to know that everyone knows what age has made him.

One viewing is not enough.

10/10

Also, my goodness, that girl on the beach at the end was gorgeous. Fellini couldn't have found a more perfect face for that scene. It says everything.

SHAAAAAAME

1) Au revoir les enfants - Yeah I watched like fifteen minutes of this and then turned it off I dunno.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) L'Atalante - I honestly don't know anything about this but man, number 14 on TSPDT must mean something.

4) I Know Where I'm Going! - gently caress me, I've rented this like four times and for some reason I never watch it, which is retarded because I love Powell and Pressburger.

5) Safety Last! - That's probably not a great idea, I hope Harold Lloyd has insurance.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Princess Bride - I do not think this quote means what I think it means.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10, Rashomon 9/10, The Godfather: Part II 10/10, La Dolce Vita 10/10 (total: 47)

a radii hike in the desert with 3 Women...

Schmeev
Jun 3, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

9) The Princess Bride - I do not think this quote means what I think it means.

The only one I've seen on your list, and it's fantastic.

Dr. Strangelove - This was one hell of a movie. Basically the idea is that a general goes nuts and orders the nuking of Russia, who has a doomsday device that will be activated when they're attacked and can't be deactivated. Serious situation? Yes. Serious movie? God, no. The actors portray their characters amazingly, and everything is exaggerated to an incredible degree. Possibly my favorite thing is the casual way the politicians act in the face of mass destruction. Excellent satire of the politician-public detachment and such. 5/5 from me, although the ending may have cracked my brain quite a bit.

1. Black Hawk Down - My entire family has seen this and I vaguely remember one scene from it because it was so long ago, then I found it somewhere really cheap.

2. The Great Escape - As far as break out movies go, I hear this is a particularly excellent one. Also, I understand Steve McQueen is a pretty cool dude.

3. Any Sean Connery Bond Movie - The collection showed up for Christmas, and I've only ever seen Casino Royale (good) and Quantum of Solace (disappointing).

4. A Fistful of Dollars - I've seen bits and pieces of probably every Eastwood western ever thanks to my dad, but never an entire one. Watching this will probably lead to me watching the entire Man With No Name Trilogy.

5. The Grudge - I love horror in just about every form, I was freaked out by The Ring way back when it was just released on DVD, and like with everything, I've heard mixed reviews on this one in particular.

6. Fern Gully - I saw Avatar back when it was in theaters, and now years later my friends tell me this is pretty much the same thing, but with fairies. I feel the need to pay my respects at some point to the source of a movie I liked.

Dr. Strangelove - 5/5

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

As much as I loved Strangelove, I always had one major problem with the ending. I like the idea that, even in the face of armageddon, these politicians and generals are still obsessed with their petty rivalries ("mine shaft gap" is hilarious all on its own). However, Strangelove's plan is to hide thousands of people and the resources to support them underground for a century. That's within the realm of plausibility, except that he proposes it after the first bomb has gone off. It seems like a project of that magnitude would take years. Maybe they could push it to a few months by focusing all their resources on it, but I thought the Doomsday Device was supposed to activate immediately. Strangelove makes it clear that he expects the people to go underground not even knowing that the world is being destroyed- do they really have that long before the Doomsday Device kills everyone?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

As much as I loved Strangelove, I always had one major problem with the ending. I like the idea that, even in the face of armageddon, these politicians and generals are still obsessed with their petty rivalries ("mine shaft gap" is hilarious all on its own). However, Strangelove's plan is to hide thousands of people and the resources to support them underground for a century. That's within the realm of plausibility, except that he proposes it after the first bomb has gone off. It seems like a project of that magnitude would take years. Maybe they could push it to a few months by focusing all their resources on it, but I thought the Doomsday Device was supposed to activate immediately. Strangelove makes it clear that he expects the people to go underground not even knowing that the world is being destroyed- do they really have that long before the Doomsday Device kills everyone?

I think you're putting more thought in that particular aspect, than the actual film. Like the other two parties, Dr. Strangelove is more interested in getting his own plans and paranoia through, than actually preventing the apocalypse. Part of the joke, is that he is a Nazi, and he managed to get the Soviets and the Americans to accept a program to select only a few (perfect) individuals and leave the rest of the world to die in nuclear holocaust. It's the master race and the final solution in global scale. Communism and democracy failed, Nazi and fascist ideals prevail in the face of unpending doom. In the end Dr. Strangelove gets all giddy about it, he rises fully erect from his chair and the film closes up with an orgasm(here portrayed by nuclear explosions). It's a sort of moral victory for him.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 15, 2012

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Schmeev, get started on the Dollars trilogy with A Fistful of Dollars.

I always forget to write up the movies that I watch for this thread. I saw Taste of Cherry a few weeks ago. I unfortunately had the ending "spoiled" for me before, and it was always in the front of my thoughts during the viewing. It took me a long time after the film was over to understand the significance of the crew showing up, though eventually it made perfect sense. Kiarostami had been distancing us emotionally from Badii through the whole film. We don't know his circumstances, and he refuses to tell us. We are even physically distanced from him with long shots, although the conversation is always in the foreground. We are dropped hints along the way that he will not really go through with the suicide, so some of the suspense is lifted. Finally, at the climax, when we might feel the most emotion towards Badii, Kiarostami cuts and reminds us not to, that we are only watching a film, that he is just an actor. It is so simple yet so effective. Unfortunately, at 95 minutes, it wears out its welcome by repeating itself too often. 4/5

I also watched Underground, and was completely blown away by it's energy. Miki Manojlovic has one of the msot expressive faces I've seen, and this is one of the few times I've been annoyed by subtitles, because I wanted to look at his expressions the whole time. The movie was also wildly funny, and I loved the magical realism it used. Unfortunately, knowing about zero European history made it difficult for me to read some of the political allegory that was clearly there. It doesn't matter though, because this is one of the most entertaining and exciting movies I've seen for this thread so far. 5/5

Kes
Don't know anything about this.
Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Another recent Palme d'Or winner.
Cabaret
On the most iCM lists. Also next on the AFI list. ehh.
The Freshman
Only seen Safety Last! from Lloyd.
Cookie's Fortune
Another hidden Altman gem?
Raise The Red Lantern
I haven't seen too much Chinese cinema.
The Mirror
Next on TSPDT. I'm going to love one of these Tarkovskys eventually!
A Man Escaped
Want to keep up with the Filmspotting Bresson marathon.
Life of Brian
I've been underwhelmed by Monty Python in the past.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives 3.5/5, Shane 3.5/5, The World of Apu 4.5/5, 3 Women 5/5, Do The Right Thing 5/5, A Short Film About Killing 3/5, Au Hasard Balthazar 4.5/5, Withnail & I 3.5/5, Le Trou 4.5/5, The Conformist 3.5/5, West Side Story 2.5/5, Titanic 3/5, Taste of Cherry 4/5, Underground 5/5

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
TenShadesBeTrump, check out Life of Brian. Hopefully you won't be too underwhelmed by it!

All the President's Men was okay. The performances were excellent, and that long shot of Woodward on the phone where the camera just slowly tracks in on his face was incredible. There's a definite sense of paranoia that permeates the film, which isn't surprising considering it was directed by Alan Paluka. That Washington Post set was so well put together and detailed, but overall I had trouble getting invested in what was happening. Perhaps this was because the story of Watergate is so well known now? Another memorable aspect was Gordon Willis' cinematography. That final shot of the TV in the foreground with Woodward and Bernstein in the background is astonishing. In any event, solid performances, great set design, but left me a little cold.

7/10

Updated list!

1. Mandabi - I've enjoyed all the Ousmane Sembene I've watched, and this one's on instant queue.

2. Hour of the Wolf - Loved The Seventh Seal and Persona, so I think it's about time for some more Bergman.

3. High Noon - Big western fan, but somehow this has slipped under my radar.

4. Matinee - As a William Castle fan, this sounds right up my alley.

5. Butch Cassidy and the Sunday Kid - Watched The Sting a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Paul Newman and Robert Redford can't be beat!

6. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - Always been interested in this.

7. Alice - I'm always down for a spin on Alice In Wonderland. Little Otik was okay, but this looks like it focuses more on the stop motion element.

8. Barfly - I've enjoyed the Bukowski that I've read, and it's been sitting on my hard drive for a while.

9. All the President's Men 42nd Street - I haven't seen any Busby Berkeley, and this seems like a good place to start.

10. The Driver - Heard this movie was a huge inspiration for Drive, which I loved.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

3. High Noon - Big western fan, but somehow this has slipped under my radar.

Watch that movie!

Electronico6 posted:

Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.

A Clockwork Orange was really quite wonderful. It was unsettling, but I never felt too uncomfortable to keep watching. I also found it seriously entertaining, which I thought was impressive. When tackling serious issues regading free will and justice on a backdrop of ultraviolence and rape, I think one would run a high risk of a movie being exhausting. I never really felt exhausted.

The commentary comes from the fact that, instead of good police and/or real correction, society just tries to make it impossible for Alex to make bad choices anymore. I found the ridiculous pomp and conformity of the prison and the impersonal pretentious attitude of the scientists quite funny in a tragic, dark way. It's as if there's this false hope that the world is good and Alex is bad, and the world will make him better. And once the viewer sees him to through the corrections process combined with his relationship with his parents, we see that Alex's world isn't that good at all, and they don't really know how to fix Alex.

All in all I thought it was a very well acted movie, well written, well directed. It was an honest satire without being too heavy handed, and included a fair bit of dark comedy without sacrificing its message.

As an aside, I've never read the book. The American publishing of the book didn't include the final chapter, where Alex decides to be good. Maybe this makes me a stereotypical American or something, but I feel like I prefer the darker ending. Admittedly, Alex deciding to be good at the end would deliver a pretty scary message - that the brainwashing worked. Maybe that's more powerful, I'm not sure. But I enjoyed that the theme/tone of the movie was consistent. Having Alex become good might tempt the audience into thinking it was a "happily ever after" scenario... which isn't really true, even if Alex does decide to change his ways.

Note: I happened to also see Raging Bull last weekend, which was going to be one of the next movies on my list. Holy poo poo that movie is amazing. I put it on my list because I probably wouldn't have seen it if not for this thread. The last De Niro movie I saw was Stone, which I sort of hated a lot. So this movie put De Niro back in my good graces, which I'm sure is very exciting for him.

Updated list of shame:

1.) Schindler's List. This is a movie I've always meant to watch but I don't think I've ever seen it on TV or anything. I assume it's pretty depressing and sometimes it's hard to get people excited to watch something like that. I expect to like this movie.

2.) Citizen Kane. Lauded by so many as one of the best movies ever, I've only ever seen snippets of it. "Rosebud" and the gif of Orson Welles clapping are really the only things I know about this movie.

3.) New! Full Metal Jacket. My next Kubrick film. I've seen Dr. Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining so I figure Full Metal Jacket is good to be next. I know it's a war movie, I'm 90% sure that it's about Vietnam. I often get this movie confused with Apocalypse Now.

4.) Casablanca. A classic favorite and I don't think I've ever seen a minute of it. Something about a war, a piano, and a hill of beans. The hill of beans might have been from Gone With the Wind, which I've also never seen, someone says hill of beans in one of those movies.

5.) North by Northwest. I don't think I've ever seen a Hitchcock movie all the way through and I've always wanted to. I don't know the plot of this movie but I'm pretty sure it involves Mount Rushmore at some point.

6.) The Incredibles. This is the only non-Cars Pixar movie I've never seen. When it was new I was in a phase where I thought family movies were stupid. Pixar proved me wrong a few years later but I have yet to remedy this.

7.) The Godfather Part III. Now, I don't expect this movie to be great, just because of all the poo poo people have talked about it. That being said, I put it on the list anyway, because I've been meaning to watch it for so long. The first two Godfather movies are two of my favorite movies of all time, so I figure I need to bite the bullet and go through with this.

8.) Sixth Sense. I know the plot, I know the twist, I know all that stuff. I've never seen a lick of this movie or any other M. Night movie. I hear this is his best one, so I'd like to see it. I'm just not big on horror movies.

9.) To Kill a Mockingbird. I read the book in middle school, and we might have even watched the movie but I don't remember it so I'm putting it on the list. I'm familiar with the story, and AFI lists this as their #1 courtroom drama.

10.) Magnolia. The only PTA movie I've seen is Punch Drunk Love, and that was a long time ago. This movie comes highly recommended.

List of shameless: Seven Samurai (4.5/5), Goodfellas(4/5), Reservoir Dogs(5/5), Yojimbo(3.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4/5), Raging Bull(5/5)

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Seaniqua posted:

1.) Schindler's List.

This is your task. I was able to appreciate it when I saw it in my mid-teens. It's certainly not enjoyable to watch, but it is definitely a good movie.

Wow, Fargo was great. The acting was superb (you betcha!) and the story and its parallel editing were both seamless in their deliveries. I love how the only way anyone can describe Steve Buscemi is “iuno, he was just funny lookin’ is all.” I found myself laughing way much more than I thought I should have. I then went to its Wikipedia page and found that it actually was supposed to be funny in a very dark way. :haw: I can’t find anything wrong with this movie as even the lovely plan getting blown to poo poo was very well-done so it has to get a 10/10 in my book.

1. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) – I saw this streaming on IMDB one day and started to watch it, then realized it was like 2 in the morning and I didn’t want to be super scared. :ohdear:

2. Se7en (1995) – Seeing the name immediately made it lose its appeal when I scanned through titles many years ago, however, it is apparently very good.

3. The Usual Suspects (1995) – I saw this many years ago and didn’t like it and I would like to give it another go, my head being clearer now than at the time I saw it.

4. Casablanca(1942) – As someone who hopes to eventually work in film (or TV) I should know the classics! :)

5. Memento (2000) – I never really heard of any of the actors, but I’m starting to like Mark Boone Junior and the scumbags he plays in Batman Begins and Sons of Anarchy.

6. Taxi Driver (1976) – I love Scorsese and can’t believe this has slipped past my radar for so long.

7. The Sting (1973) – I saw this twice when I was younger but I have no recollection of the plot besides the fact that there’s a sting. :downs:

8. Cinema Paradiso(1988) – I’m Italian and I’m taking a course on its cinema, but it doesn’t go much past neorealism and the 70s.

9. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) – Apparently older Simpsons episodes are riddled with references from Dr. Strangelove and I am missing out!

10. NEW Scarface (1983) – Pacino was great in Carlito’s Way and I’ve seen the original Hawks version, which is somehow rated lower than the remake, so why not?

CHALLENGES COMPLETED: M (1931): 8/10 Fargo: 10/10 (Grand total: 2)

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

gco posted:

Wow, Fargo was great. I found myself laughing way much more than I thought I should have. I then went to its Wikipedia page and found that it actually was supposed to be funny in a very dark way.
This film is just as much a comedy as it is a thriller, albeit a dark one. There's tons of laughs! I find this to be the case with a lot of Coen's films, such as True Grit, No Country and so forth (I haven't seen Barton Fink and I'm not counting their actual comedies).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Every Coen Brothers movie is a comedy on some level.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

gco posted:

6. Taxi Driver (1976) – I love Scorsese and can’t believe this has slipped past my radar for so long.

Watch this one.

Drive - This was pretty good. I guess it's a twist on the "no good deed goes unpunished" saying. I liked the evolution of the Driver (especially when he starts wearing the mask). Ryan Gosling may've been too understated at some points however.

Even doing subtle things like using an atypical font (and color) can add some flavor to a film. I was surprised by the amount of violence but shouldn't have been (I've seen the Pusher trilogy which surpasses the violence in this one easily).

IMDb list:

#194 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#247 3 Idiots - Read some reviews but that's all. 1/17/12

#256 Before Sunrise - Relatively recent and I haven't even heard of it. 12/29/11

#264 Duck Soup - I haven't seen a Marx brothers film. Another one of those SHAMEFUL oversights. 2/1/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1985 Out of Africa - Can't say I know anything about it. 12/29/11

1980 Ordinary People - Heard of it but haven't seen it. 2/1/12

1968 Oliver! - I'm a little familiar with the story. 2/7/12

1967 In the Heat of the Night - I remember the TV series vaguely. Not sure if it's related to the film at all. 2/10/12

1966 A Man for All Seasons - Know nothing about this one. 2/14/12

Over the years I've caught glimpses and heard things about hundreds of films but something has held me back from watching them..now is your chance to force me.
Procrastination list:

new The Prowler - Heard this was an overlooked classic slasher film. Zito directed Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (which is my favorite of the series). The poster is :waycool: too. 2/15/12

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Zogo posted:

Time to remedy this situation! Enjoy!

Just finished up Unforgiven and it was a good film. I wouldn't say it was exceptional, just a good movie. I remembered certain scenes from when I saw it as a kid, but the story was new to me. The book ends of the film, the scrolling text, were a nice touch, if not a bit heavy on the "MESSAGE!".

This film, while I don't think it's exceptional, did help in my growing appreciation of Westerns. I've long since avoided watching them before I came into this thread, and each one I've been assigned has been a pleasant surprise. Guess I can appreciate a Western after all.

My updated list:

1. Philadelphia Story - Another movie I have no idea about, but it keeps getting recommended in this thread.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. Tokyo Story. Another I know nothing about but it's been recommended and loved over and over in this thread.

5. Platoon. I get the feeling this is a wannabee Apocalypse Now. I hope it stands on it's own.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. La Dolce Vita. Have no idea what this is about at all. I'm not even very sure of who directs it. I hope it's good.

8. The Apartment No idea what it's about, but from what I've seen other people say, it's a comedy?

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. The Lives of Others. This looked interesting when I saw the previews when it first came out, but I've never gotten around to seeing it. I hope it really is as good as others make it out to be.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal; Singing in the Rain; Barton Fink; Sunset Boulevard; The Gold Rush; The Deer Hunter; My Neighbor Totoro; The Crying Game; Unforgiven

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Time to remedy this situation! Enjoy!

Just finished up Unforgiven and it was a good film. I wouldn't say it was exceptional, just a good movie. I remembered certain scenes from when I saw it as a kid, but the story was new to me. The book ends of the film, the scrolling text, were a nice touch, if not a bit heavy on the "MESSAGE!".

This film, while I don't think it's exceptional, did help in my growing appreciation of Westerns. I've long since avoided watching them before I came into this thread, and each one I've been assigned has been a pleasant surprise. Guess I can appreciate a Western after all.

It helps to think of the opening/closing text as excerpts from W . W. Beauchamp's inevitable highly-fictionalized biography of William Munny.

Seems like all the qesterns you've been assigned are Eastwoods. You should check out, say, Little Big Man or My Darling Clementine to see the breadth of the genre.

gco
May 8, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

7. La Dolce Vita. Have no idea what this is about at all. I'm not even very sure of who directs it. I hope it's good.

It's by Federico Fellini, who did Rome, Open City and 8 1/2. Figuring as you've seen the latter, you're familiar with the director. Even though 8 1/2 is much more... strange.

PS, in case you didn't get the message, watch La Dolce Vita. :)

Well, Taxi Driver was really fun. It started off slow, but interesting, and didn’t turn into what I was expecting at all, having never read or heard anything about its plot. Although after watching it, I did a ton of internet research about a why a certain character went to a certain rally and did something but I am still not completely convinced on the reasoning behind it. I’d add more, but I watched 3 movies today and am super tired, so I’m calling it at a 9/10

1. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) – I saw this streaming on IMDB one day and started to watch it, then realized it was like 2 in the morning and I didn’t want to be super scared. :ohdear:

2. Se7en (1995) – Seeing the name immediately made it lose its appeal when I scanned through titles many years ago because I thought it looked stupid. However, it is apparently very good.

3. The Usual Suspects (1995) – I saw this many years ago and didn’t like it and I would like to give it another go, my head being clearer now than at the time I saw it.

4. Casablanca(1942) – As someone who hopes to eventually work in film (or TV) I should know the classics! :)

5. Memento (2000) – I never really heard of any of the actors, but I’m starting to like Mark Boone Junior and the scumbags he plays in Batman Begins and Sons of Anarchy.

6. NEW A Fistful of Dollars (1964) – The first of three parts that leads to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, #5 on the IMDB top list. I haven’t seen any of them, so I figured I’d work my way up, even if they can be seen out of context.

7. The Sting (1973) – I saw this twice when I was younger but I have no recollection of the plot besides the fact that there’s a sting. :downs:

8. Cinema Paradiso(1988) – I’m Italian and I’m taking a course on its cinema, but it doesn’t go much past neorealism and the 70s.

9. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) – Apparently older Simpsons episodes are riddled with references from Dr. Strangelove and I am missing out!

10. Scarface (1983) – Pacino was great in Carlito’s Way and I’ve seen the original Hawks version, which is somehow rated lower than the remake, so why not?

CHALLENGES COMPLETED: M (1931): 8/10 Fargo: 10/10 Taxi Driver: 9/10 (Grand total: 3)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

gco posted:

It's by Federico Fellini, who did Rome, Open City
Only if by "did" you mean helped write the script. Roberto Rossellini directed the Rome, Open City.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

penismightier posted:

It helps to think of the opening/closing text as excerpts from W . W. Beauchamp's inevitable highly-fictionalized biography of William Munny.

Seems like all the qesterns you've been assigned are Eastwoods. You should check out, say, Little Big Man or My Darling Clementine to see the breadth of the genre.

Whoa. I actually didn't think about that and that makes it pretty drat awesome!

I've actually seen Little Big Man and I love it, although I never really thought of it as a Western. More as a profile of a mans life and historical.

I've got other Westerns coming on the list. I don't want to over-saturate myself with them all at once, but I'll eventually get to them. One of them is Shane...

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I've actually seen Little Big Man and I love it, although I never really thought of it as a Western. More as a profile of a mans life and historical.

Set during the Indian Wars!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
gco check out The Sting, it's a lot of fun.

Now High Noon, that's the definition of a classic. Masterfully shot, acted and edited, I loved this movie. I was shocked at how modern it felt, and it gets pretty dark in some places. The score was excellent and gave me the appropriate feeling of dread, and Gary Cooper was, of course, fantastic. Great movie, and one of the archetypical westerns.

9/10

Updated list!

1. Mandabi - I've enjoyed all the Ousmane Sembene I've watched, and this one's on instant queue.

2. Hour of the Wolf - Loved The Seventh Seal and Persona, so I think it's about time for some more Bergman.

3. High Noon Maniac! - I've heard this is a slasher classic, and I find Joe Spinell to be one of the creepiest actors ever.

4. Matinee - As a William Castle fan, this sounds right up my alley.

5. Butch Cassidy and the Sunday Kid - Watched The Sting a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Paul Newman and Robert Redford can't be beat!

6. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - Always been interested in this.

7. Alice - I'm always down for a spin on Alice In Wonderland. Little Otik was okay, but this looks like it focuses more on the stop motion element.

8. Barfly - I've enjoyed the Bukowski that I've read, and it's been sitting on my hard drive for a while.

9. 42nd Street - I haven't seen any Busby Berkeley, and this seems like a good place to start.

10. The Driver - Heard this movie was a huge inspiration for Drive, which I loved.

Schmeev
Jun 3, 2011

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

You sniped the other guy off me, and I don't know anything you have there, so watch this. I played Driver a lot, so I feel I'm certified to suggest this movie.

A Fistful of Dollars - Excited the hell out of me for the next 2 movies, each of which extends viewing time by a half hour, but more time with Clint Eastwood being a badass is time well spent. A very good mix between the smugness of a well laid plan and the tense moments before all hell breaks loose. Here and there I'd notice some continuity or audio sync problems, but I was too busy loving what was going on to care. 5/5 (note that my review scores are pretty binary. I may as well just go 1-3 for the few times I find something merely ok, but I like to pretend I'm professional or something)

1. Black Hawk Down - My entire family has seen this and I vaguely remember one scene from it because it was so long ago, then I found it somewhere really cheap.

2. The Great Escape - As far as break out movies go, I hear this is a particularly excellent one. Also, I understand Steve McQueen is a pretty cool dude.

3. Any Sean Connery Bond Movie - The collection showed up for Christmas, and I've only ever seen Casino Royale (good) and Quantum of Solace (disappointing).

4. Who Framed Roger Rabbit - I've known about this for a while, I've been meaning to watch it for a while, and after taking longer than it should have to track it down (Seriously, best buy? This is a classic, so I'm told.), it just sorta sits there begging to be watched.

5. The Grudge - I love horror in just about every form, I was freaked out by The Ring way back when it was just released on DVD, and like with everything, I've heard mixed reviews on this one in particular.

6. Fern Gully - I saw Avatar back when it was in theaters, and now years later my friends tell me this is pretty much the same thing, but with fairies. I feel the need to pay my respects at some point to the source of a movie I liked.

Dr. Strangelove - 5/5, A Fistful of Dollars - 5/5

thomas kingo
Apr 6, 2008
If it's not to late to do this, I'd like to join. I apologize for the occasional bad english, since it's my second language.

1. 12 Angry Men - This has been on my to-do list for so long. I love courtroom dramas and for some reason I've never seen af Sidney Lumet movie.

2. Manhattan - I've only seen Annie Hall out of Woodys 70's-ouevre, and I absolutely adore it, so I guess Manhattan's the next logical step.

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I need to see more iconic westerns.

4. Rope - The premise and the execution sounds very interesting, and I've been out of the Hitchcock loop for years now, so maybe Rope will rekindle my interest in Hitch.

5. The Treasure of Sierra Madre - I love Bogie and Huston, but never got around to this.

6. The Apartment - Might be my most shameful entry, since... it'll be my first Billy Wilder.

7. Sunset Boulevard - See above.

8. Double Indemnity - Been meaning to get more in to classic film noir. I've seen The Maltese Falcon and the amazing and strange Detour (which I really loved).

9. Paths of Glory- I've never seen a 50's Kubrick.

10. Singin' in the Rain - If you don't know a whole lot about musicals, why not start with the most iconic of the genre?

thomas kingo fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 18, 2012

Schmeev
Jun 3, 2011

thomas kingo posted:

If it's not to late to do this, I'd like to join. I apologize for the occasional bad english, since it's my second language.

It's never too late, just need to suggest the movie for the previous poster (me in this case)

thomas kingo
Apr 6, 2008

Schmeev posted:

It's never too late, just need to suggest the movie for the previous poster (me in this case)
Oops, sorry! Well, in that case enjoy Who framed Roger Rabbit?. It's a flawed movie in some ways, but very unique, interesting and entertaining.

gco
May 8, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Only if by "did" you mean helped write the script. Roberto Rossellini directed the Rome, Open City.

Durf. His writer credits were the first on IMDB. :doh: Disregard anything I say after midnight.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
thomas kingo, watch Sunset Boulevard. It's my favorite on your list, so a good start.

The Lady Eve was alright. I wasn't blown away by it since it's basically exactly what I expected. Barbara Stanwyck was at her most charming but I really didn't like Henry Fonda for the most part until he suddenly was into physical humor mode. The was pretty solid. Unfortunately this genre and time period are starting to becoming boring and all movies are blending into one for me.

Ten new ones since the last one apparently bored me away from movies for months:

1. The Truman Show- I'm always surprised when I see how highly rated this is. I always like Jim Carey so it sounds worth watching at least.

2. Raising Arizona- Will it be the Nicholas Cage I love or the one I hate?

3. Dial M For Murder- I've watched most of Hitchcock's movies but somehow this and, until recently, Strangers on a Train have eluded me.

4. The Last Picture Show- Working my way through America Lost and Found set. Not loving the movies so much but I am far more impressed with Jack Nicholson than I was before

5. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead- MODERN Lumet.

6. Giant- James Dean movie I haven't seen.

7. Gomorrah- Italian crime movie that's apparently looking good.

8. Kiss Me Deadly- Criterion noir of some sort.

9. Made in USA- Godard. You know, I may have seen this one, I just get it confused with a couple of other misc. Godards laying around. I get a free "pick something else on my list" if I start watching and have already seen it.

10. Ride with the Devil- No idea.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Brian Fellows posted:

3. Dial M For Murder- I've watched most of Hitchcock's movies but somehow this and, until recently, Strangers on a Train have eluded me.

Murder!

I really enjoyed Mr. Hulot's Holiday, it's almost like taking a real holiday! Very relaxing, charming and entertaining. Has a lot more in common with the silent comedies of Chaplin and Keaton, than the more satirical focused Play Time, which is the other Tati I watched so far, I liked this one better as I found myself laughing a lot more.(Also I need to re watch Play Time, wasn't really expecting that type of film) Either way, Mr. Hulot's Holiday has plenty of slapstick and the fun mayhem created by Mr.Hulot is a pleasure to watch, the whole film is a blast really. The postcard was a lovely touch.

SHAME:

The Seven Year Itch The one with Marilyn Monroe and a subway grate.

Shoot the Piano Player Shoot him down!

Have watched so far 68 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Frankenstein - IT'S ALIVE!! Much better than Dracula. Karloff was pretty good as the monster. Loved the cinematography during the creation scene. Really impressive given the time it was made.

My List:
A Christmas Carol(1951) - This is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I've heard it is as good as the George C. Scott version, which I liked.

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysterical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Modern Times - I've never seen a silent movie.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Only Monty Python movie I've seen is The Holy Grail. I am very interested in seeing the other ones.

Cars - This and Cars2 are the only Pixar movies that I haven't seen.

Kagemusha - My next Kurosawa film.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

The Mummy - Working my way through the classic Universal horror movies.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein

Electronic06, My turn to recommend a Kurosawa film. Never saw Dersu Uzala before, but I haven't been disappointed by Kurosawa yet.

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeev
Jun 3, 2011

Dmitri Russkie posted:

The Mummy - Working my way through the classic Universal horror movies.

I'm sure you'll get a kick out of this, based on the assumption that...well, I did.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - This movie is just outright fun, no other way to put it. It's probably the only time you'll ever see such a huge collection of toons from different companies, and the animation mixed with live actors/settings was amazing. The story is engaging, the jokes are that great mix between what adults get and downright bonkers (yes, bonkers). Also, Christopher Lloyd is an amazing villain. 5/5

4. Breakfast at Tiffany's - I've always found the Deep Blue Something song to be absolutely ridiculous and laughable (I love it), but who knows? Maybe mutual liking of this movie IS something to base a relationship on.

Dr. Strangelove - 5/5, A Fistful of Dollars - 5/5, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - 5/5