Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I asked in the Steam thread, but I figured I'd ask here too: I bought GTA 3-SA on Steam a long time ago during a sale, and as has been said, they just went up for Mac with SteamPlay today. But they aren't showing up on my Mac's game list. Do I have to rebuy them or something, or is something just weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm fairly certain they perfected their "putting your loving hat back on" tech with Red Dead Redemption, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Lost my hat? Oh this guy knocked my hat off? Kill his friends, shoot him in the god drat face, get my hat back. :clint:

A British Nerd posted:

That's a drat good fix, that poncho was badass! Rivalled the feeling I got from donning a Perseus tux and shades in GTA IV.

Too bad it covered up your awesome bandoleer :(

All this talk of improvements and changes/fixes we might see, I really hope the radio is improved. San Andreas had the best radio selection out of the lot :(

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Knightmare posted:

Mexico would like a word with you

Mexico was awesome, sorry dude! I never at any point felt like I was playing RDR just for the sake of getting to the end, unlike GTA4.

I guess the other thing with RDR is that all the side-missions, random occurrences and other general busywork tasks fit perfectly within the world. It fits that you help out on the farm, hunt wild animals and clear out the local bandito hideouts.

Vice City and San Andreas all had side-stuff that made sense thematically, so hopefully they can get back to that with GTA5.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
In the same line of thinking, I actually think the best part about RDR was that getting from place to place was never a chore. It's the only game I keep booting up just to ride or walk around in the world, watch the animals and the sunsets and the beautiful scenery pass by, the noises of the desert so well reproduced.

Assuming games keep getting better at the same rate, RDR is the game that makes me giddy about what the future will hold. The immersion in that game is so good I sometimes think we already have holodecks.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I would be all for Rockstar San Diego developing GTAV instead of North, but it won't happen.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
I've played the first few missions in Gay tony and I think that is great, Already had a shoot out in a golf course and had my mother screaming at me. I think I'll enjoy this game even more. But need to finish Red dead that I started before GTA, I'm in Mexico at the moment and just waiting for my character to take out one of the guys I'm working for.

I haven't started Lost yet because I REALLY suck at riding motorbikes, but the story sounds great from what I read on the back cover.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
TLAD's motorcycle controls are much better than IV's and you tend to fall off less.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Also you might not want to play it because the ballad is so fun.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I'd play TLAD through before doing Gay Tony. Each iteration builds on the previous one, so if you play them out of order you'll hate that stuff is missing.

Although I'd recommend completing Red Dead Redemption before either of them, because it's honestly a better game. And seriously - don't read forums about RDR before you finish it, because you'll inevitably spoil the ending for yourself.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.

webmeister posted:

Yeah I'd play TLAD through before doing Gay Tony. Each iteration builds on the previous one, so if you play them out of order you'll hate that stuff is missing.

Although I'd recommend completing Red Dead Redemption before either of them, because it's honestly a better game. And seriously - don't read forums about RDR before you finish it, because you'll inevitably spoil the ending for yourself.

Thanks for the tips!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I found Lost really interesting, made me really feel like a biker. Ballad has a protagonist that is hard to identify with. He's not enough of a "loser". He already has a job, he's just doing somebody else's bidding. I don't feel like I'm in the game. Im not that far into it yet though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I found Lost really interesting, made me really feel like a biker. Ballad has a protagonist that is hard to identify with. He's not enough of a "loser". He already has a job, he's just doing somebody else's bidding. I don't feel like I'm in the game. Im not that far into it yet though.

Nothing in TLaD made me feel like a loser biker more than the act of walking into a lovely rear end gloomy room complete with a loving lousy dirty mattress and sitting down on it to save rather than going to sleep.

That little element makes that expansion feel way more hardcore than the gritty color filter that is placed over the entire game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
TLAD is probably the best written GTA. I don't get the hate. The missions are extremely varied, it has a great plot, great characters, it's fun, sometimes even emotional, and it never overstays its welcome. Fantastic from beginning to end. It's the gritty, realistic GTA that GTAIV tried to be but couldn't live up to.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie

Himuro posted:

TLAD is probably the best written GTA. I don't get the hate. The missions are extremely varied, it has a great plot, great characters, it's fun, sometimes even emotional, and it never overstays its welcome. Fantastic from beginning to end. It's the gritty, realistic GTA that GTAIV tried to be but couldn't live up to.

I don't think many people really hate or even don't like Lost and the Damned, it's just that Ballad of Gay Tony was so much better. When I played TLAD I liked it way more than GTAIV, then I played BOGT and was blown away. TLAD just gets kind of forgotten.

Also, the safehouse being right in the middle of the third island is a pain in the rear end. :colbert:
Then the second safehouse is further south, in an even worse location. Rockstar better give us some convenient safehouses in GTAV.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Safehouses never annoyed me because I pretty much used a cab whenever possible. Missions and all

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I think Gay Tony is considerably worse. Almost every character is annoying and the only characters I liked were Luis and Tony. The mission variety was really bad, there are at least 5 helicopter missions and there are 20 or so missions in the whole game. The writers turning up the comedy angle created a striking dissonance as I played it, particularly due to the "realistic" physics, character models and all. The end result is a game that seemingly felt even more existential than GTAIV; a product that doesn't know what it wants.

One minute you have Luis tending to his mother and it's so serious and poo poo, the next minute you're doing small time crap like peddling drugs when you've got a high end crib in the games version of Manhattan. This dude isn't poor, so why the gently caress is he doing all this? Then there's the whole comedy angle. It'll try to be serious for a moment and then the next you've got a middle eastern dude in underwear telling you steal a copter just to prove to his father he's not a total failure. Gay Tony felt juvenile in an extremely wrong manner. I think when I beat it I questioned whether or not I grew out of GTA games.

That Saudi Arabian guy was beyond obnoxious.

I'll admit Gay Tony had a couple of banger missions the train roof mission being the best example but the rest really didn't jive well with me. I still enjoyed it more than IV, though.

Gay Tony feels like GTA fans getting excited about GTA being silly again, while ignoring the actual qualities of the game itself, which is slightly above average. I'd probably like Gay Tony more if the characters had a more cartoon-ish aesthetic, in a Vice City/GTA3 way. Instead, it still has IV's grit while trying to go back to its roots. You can't mix these two styles up and expect a good result, one style has to give: either gritty realism (TLAD) or balls to the wall cartoon fest (Vice City). There is no in-between.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 14, 2012

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Himuro posted:

One minute you have Luis tending to his mother and it's so serious and poo poo, the next minute you're doing small time crap like peddling drugs when you've got a high end crib in the games version of Manhattan. This dude isn't poor, so why the gently caress is he doing all this? Then there's the whole comedy angle. It'll try to be serious for a moment and then the next you've got a middle eastern dude in underwear telling you steal a copter just to prove to his father he's not a total failure. Gay Tony felt juvenile in an extremely wrong manner. I think when I beat it I questioned whether or not I grew out of GTA games.

That Saudi Arabian guy was beyond obnoxious.

I wont stand idly by while you talk that way about Yusuf Amir and his Arab Money. :colbert:

Regarding the drug peddling: The reason why Luis keeps getting into all those drug war side-missions with Armando and Henrique had more to do with his childhood relationship with both of them than anything. Luis ultimately feels obligated to help them out from time to time since Luis hooked up with Tony and got propelled into the highlife while A&H struggled to make ends meet since they were both just a couple of hood rats.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

GTAIV and all of its expansions are complete satires on NYC and the assholes that inhabit it. The game looks so much like the real city its amazing, and all the characters are hilariously reflective of personalities that exist in the city. The Dominicans in uptown, the hasidic jews in brooklyn, the suits downtown, etc. All the dialogue you hear on the streets is hilarious too. If you live/have spent time there you can appreciate that game so much more. I think thats where the game really shines, like they werent so concerned about the plot as much as just making NYC the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I have visited and lived in NYC for a spell, and to that I give the game some credit. But if we're evaluating the game, as in the total sum of its parts, I don't see how that point is even relevant.

AndyElusive posted:

I wont stand idly by while you talk that way about Yusuf Amir and his Arab Money. :colbert:

Regarding the drug peddling: The reason why Luis keeps getting into all those drug war side-missions with Armando and Henrique had more to do with his childhood relationship with both of them than anything. Luis ultimately feels obligated to help them out from time to time since Luis hooked up with Tony and got propelled into the highlife while A&H struggled to make ends meet since they were both just a couple of hood rats.

That doesn't really change the fact that Luis is stealing copters and doing inane poo poo for Bruce/his brother/Yusuf.

I guess he does it for Tony and the fact the club is bankrupt but still.

I kinda got tired doing petty stuff for a bunch of losers when I have a high end apartment in the good part of town, especially after TLAD where I was in charge of a biker gang.

As for Yusuf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYWUUCoUfyY How can you not hate him? Haha.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 14, 2012

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
I am glad that this thread was bumped to the front page again... I can't wait for GTA V. I've found myself re-watching the trailer once every few weeks, is that pathetic? A couple of things I've been thinking about, but what is the likelihood that we'll see multiple protagonists in GTA V? I think it would be really cool if the story forced you to play as different characters at different points in the game, maybe even at the end of the story all of the characters could be un-lockable.

It is strange to think of whatever mechanism would allow you to choose between characters since it seems so bizarre have a feature like that in GTA game. The original GTA did allow you to choose between different characters at the beginning of each city, but it was nothing more than just a different sprite.

I just think back to the differences between playing as Luis, Johnny and Nico. It really did feel like you were inside of their worlds although their stories took place inside of the same city. It is like the city seemed so different from each of their perspectives and I think that was really the greatest success with that expansions. I'm just trying to imagine a feature like that being implemented into GTA V and how exciting it could be, especially since the theme of the game seems to be disparity between rich and poor. Perhaps one of the playable characters could be wealthy and the others could be not so well off? Not sure how much fun it would be to play as a poor person but I'm hoping that ultimately it would make Los Santos feel much different depending on what character you're playing as at the time.

LA attack fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 14, 2012

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
All I am saying, I hope GTAV, after this long dev cycle, really pushes the bar. As, like with GTA4 (after the initial hype), many people were let down. (hey only stating the truth here)

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I don't want GTA V to 'push the bar', just be a little closer to SA than GTA IV. Just with checkpoints and no repetitive gang territory stuff. I just finished SA for the second time and loved it. After having played IV and the expansions, the less realistic vehicle physics that make travel easier, the variety in missions, the open landscape, the more oddball missions (jet packs, jump jets, etc), story that isn't so far up its own rear end and so on really stand out when you go back to them.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

GTA 4 is, to me, one of the greatest games I've played. The world design in particular is mindblowing, but the game as a whole, too is very well done; to specify further I'd point out the amazing sound-design, physics engine, car physics/driving model and realistic urban combat gameplay--though the cover system is flawed. I quite enjoy these aspects, and they don't really come anywhere else in a free roam game; the closest you get would be the Saints Row games, which are just poo poo. The story goes on for a bit too long, and it is clear to me that the game is written for the story and not the other way around, which has a negative impact. That said, the same 'wannabe-Hollywood'-aspect that somebody threw out in here, has the consequence that the cutscenes tend to have pretty beautiful photography and direction in them.

The main flaws of the game lie in the massive disconnect between the protagonist as a story character and then as a gameplay character. This is also the problem that plagues Red Dead Redemption -- the whole "gently caress I hate killing so much" *murders entire village of crying children as a favour.* Based on the trailer for GTA V, I get the impression that the protagonist of that game is more along the lines of Tommy Vercetti, in that he doesn't mind a bit of violence and he won't whine about it.

The other flaw is in the monotony of the world. Now, I find the world design of GTA 4 to be completely amazing, and the level of detail and life in that world is stunning. I have spent literally hundreds of hours simply driving around the city with no particular goal. That said, one of my favourite aspects of San Andreas was the countryside, which provided you with an alternative to the urban environment, as well as being on its own a very interesting location to drive about in. I'm fairly confident that GTA V will improve on this aspect judging by the trailer.

I am hopeful for GTA V. It's basically confirmed that there will be a countryside, and we can only hope that they sort out the protagonist as well.

Cliff Racer posted:

10 means perfect, if the game has deep flaws that means it should get a 9 or 8.
This is a ridiculous - and wrong - statement. Perfection is completely elusive. Not a single game or film is, per definition, perfect -- assigning the 10/10 rating to signify "perfection" is ludicrous, which is what a lot of gaming magazines wrote when they reviewed the game. No one is going to claim that 10/10 games such as Portal 2, Half Life 2, GTA 4, etc are without flaws -- 10/10 simply means that the game fulfills in every department to the point where it is completely satisfying, even if it has flaws. You are right in that a game that has deep flaws probably isn't a 10/10 game, but then this is a completely different argument than the one surrounding the meaning of the grade 10/10. The fact that one may disagree with certain games being completely satisfying is a completely different manner; I do not find GTA 4 to have deep flaws.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
I got really excited when I saw all the new posts, but then I clicked on the thread and realized that there were no new GTA V updates. :(

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

Droopy Goines posted:

I got really excited when I saw all the new posts, but then I clicked on the thread and realized that there were no new GTA V updates. :(

Sorry to say but as of today Rockstar was quoted in their "Asked & Answered" section, saying that we shouldn't be expecting any sort of GTA V news anytime soon.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/20351/asked-answered-max-payne-3-and-more.html

Rockstar Games posted:

First of all, we’d like to again thank you and everyone out there for the amazing response to the debut Grand Theft Auto V trailer. We know that there are a ton of questions you all have about the game, including release date and lots else.

Right now, we are very hard at work on the game and are excited as well to show and tell you more as development progresses - expect that we'll be talking much more about GTAV starting at some point in a few months’ time.

Please hang tight until then and thank you all for your patience and support!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have a feeling that the lack of news and hype for GTA V is for the sake of Max Payne 3. Starting the eventual media blitz now might overshadow the less sure success. We probably won't hear much till around E3. I just hope that it's a holiday release and we're not waiting till next year.

Hopefully the GTAForums will stop trying to interpret random numbers in the first trailer to figure out when news is going to come about.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
That confirms that the only reason they released that trailer at that time was to steal SR3's thunder. Ahahaha, awesome marketing tactics.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

LA attack posted:

Sorry to say but as of today Rockstar was quoted in their "Asked & Answered" section, saying that we shouldn't be expecting any sort of GTA V news anytime soon.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/20351/asked-answered-max-payne-3-and-more.html

If they won't even be talking about it for a few months I'd guess we won't see it in stores until late summer or fall maybe?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I have a feeling that the lack of news and hype for GTA V is for the sake of Max Payne 3. Starting the eventual media blitz now might overshadow the less sure success. We probably won't hear much till around E3. I just hope that it's a holiday release and we're not waiting till next year.

Hopefully the GTAForums will stop trying to interpret random numbers in the first trailer to figure out when news is going to come about.

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. They won't say anything about GTA until Max Payne has been released. At least with Rockstar, you know that once they start cranking up the hype machine a release isn't far away!

I'm still hopeful we'll see it this year :kiddo:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
To be honest, I could not care less about Max Payne. Does the new one even still have bullet time? Bullet time in 2012? Yeah right.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Himuro posted:

To be honest, I could not care less about Max Payne. Does the new one even still have bullet time? Bullet time in 2012? Yeah right.
It looks awesome.

Edit: Also I'm really glad Rockstar still likes L.A. Noire. I was worried the IP would be more or less dead after Team Bondi went tits up.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 15, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I do have to say that I was rolling my eyes and naysaying Max Payne 3 until I saw that gameplay trailer, and it pretty much blew me away. Speaking as somebody who completely wrote the game off at first, I'd encourage you to check out that gameplay trailer, as it really is pretty impressive and has a lot of great ideas and technology.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'll check it out.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Yeah, I was completely turned off MP3 at at first -- having LOVED the first two -- but the trailers completely changed that. Definitely buying it.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I completely agree, I wrote off MP3 when it was announced but after seeing some of the gameplay & tech trailers....holy poo poo!

I only hope they don't try and turn it into a 40 hour open-world epic...

But if they somehow manage to squeeze some of that tech into GTAV it'll blow Saints Row 3 out of the water*

And yeah I don't think we'll be hearing any more about V until they've got Max Payne 3 out of the door, I don't think they want to inadvertantly steal its thunder.

*...he says without having played MP3 of course..

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Why did none of you have hope for MP3 until the gameplay trailer? MP1 was awesome, MP2 was even better and theyre getting the same voice actor again.

edit: NM. This is the GTA thread.

If youre bored of GTA4 I recommend checking out the ultimate vehicle pack. The current version replaces probably 95% of the cars, (if you have the episodes itll even replace 95% of the new cars), gives you options in the installer to include some smaller mods, and adds an entire island for you to drive and gently caress around in. Super easy to uninstall, it'll be listed in your add/remove programs in the control panel.

http://gta4uvp.gamesave-manager.com/

Yes that race track has like 80 different routes.

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 16, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
For one, Max's redesign is atrocious. Also, when I saw a trailer, it didn't really seem like Max Payne. When I think of Max Payne, I think of skyscrapers, window glass, and dark alleys and city streets not brightly lit places close to the equator.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, everything about it just seemed decidedly non-Max Payne to me. For a long while all we knew of the game was that it was in Rio or whatever and that Max was now a fat bald guy and the initial reaction was "this is so not Max Payne at all". It wasn't until the gameplay trailer that I saw that a lot of care and love and know-how was going into the game, that it wasn't just gonna be a lovely licensed TPS, and they also managed to show enough of the game that you can see that Max's fat baldness is the end result of a long journey; he starts off as regular leather jacket Max and goes through enough hell that he ends up as Bald Max, and I ended up finding myself curious as to how that journey goes.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Cage posted:

Why did none of you have hope for MP3 until the gameplay trailer? MP1 was awesome, MP2 was even better and theyre getting the same voice actor again.
Because it's set in Rio - the New York atmosphere was key for the previous two games, and furthermore, to be honest, I don't feel like I need more of the series. The previous games were so good that I'm fine with them. That said, I'm pretty psyched now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo, just watched the Max Payne 3 gameplay trailer and if they use this stuff in GTA5...:aaaaa: :allears:

• Locked thread