Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AJ_Impy posted:

Luthien is in the biggest southward Hell's Horses spike.

Ah. For some reason I always thought it was further "south" than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Nevets posted:

Nope, you can buy one yourself, it's actually cheaper that way. https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/titlechange.php

If I buy you a $10 gift card, you can apply it to your account and spend $5.00 on a custom avatar / title, and have $5.00 left over if you want to change it later on when you get bored of zoibergian mechscapades.

Good point! Might as well send it to my email. wakhon at hotmail dot com

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Voting A because I want to see the gauss boats the new feddies field

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Second wave of the Clans is going to go right though Skye to Terra.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The time-skip presents some interesting situations. The Clans have Luthien and the Commonwealth is fragmented, but now they find themselves facing Hanse Davion and Frederick Steiner, two of the most competent leaders in canon. Tor Miraborg at the helm of a surprisingly active ComStar is another wrinkle. Add to this the fact that the LCAF, ComGuard, and AFDS (DSMS?) have had time to prepare...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clans start suffering the occasional defeat soon. It definitely won't be as easy as it has been.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I like AFDS better than DSMS, for what it's worth.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

raverrn posted:

Voting A because I want to see the gauss boats the new feddies field

At last the JagerMech will have its revenge.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Edit: Herp Derp. Sorry about that. Thanks, TildeATH.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 14, 2012

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
A - I have faith that the Capellans can piss everyone off and get curb stomped without our help. E would be my second option, if only because I suspect PTN of having a hidden objective to push giant robots onto important characters and/or heads of state ah lah Robot Jox.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I admit, I'm starting to feel the heat on the Solaris option. If we don't take Solaris this time that does mean the next time we see it it'll be the finals, possibly the more moving option - we don't necessarily want to get all hyped up about Solaris now and then see the finals later next to some other sweet options.

Also putting money down that the Syrtis thing is a gamble on Hanse's part (you just THINK he didn't want them to secede!) to keep the Capellans occupied while he secures his new realm and beats the clans. Once he's done with the clans he'll activate Super Deep Cover agent Allard and seize the Confederation, then choke out Syrtis between them.

At least, that might possibly be what the plan looks like in his head.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 13, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Artificer posted:

Yup.

Switching vote to option A

Let's see some Blue on Red war games shenanigans.

This isn't oriented at you or to be a dick, but let's keep in mind that PTN had a pretty strict "No changing your vote" policy in the OP.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nevets posted:

Nope, you can buy one yourself, it's actually cheaper that way.
I think he meant that you have to have your first one bought for you as a matter of tradition rather than any technical reasoning. TBH he's earned it either way.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Voting E because I want to see a Dwarf Arena style throwdown.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Voting A to see our fine mechwarriors display the value of teamwork and mutual cooperation in these trying times.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Dolash posted:

I admit, I'm starting to feel the heat on the Solaris option. If we don't take Solaris this time that does mean the next time we see it it'll be the finals, possibly the more moving option - we don't necessarily want to get all hyped up about Solaris now and then see the finals later next to some other sweet options.

Also putting money down that the Syrtis thing is a gamble on Hanse's part (you just THINK he didn't want them to secede!) to keep the Capellans occupied while he secures his new realm and beats the clans. Once he's done with the clans he'll activate Super Deep Cover agent Allard and seize the Confederation, then choke out Syrtis between them.

At least, that might possibly be what the plan looks like in his head.

Or he's just perfectly happy to have a buffer state in the short term that is no longer his problem and that he feels that he can easily retake later, regardless of Allard's status.

The main losses from losing the Capellan March are Kathil and Talon/Wernke. Kathil actually makes surprisingly little at this time from what I can tell, fortunately, but Talon makes a lot of poo poo for the AFFS: Rifleman/Jagermechs, Griffins, Shadow Hawks and Enforcers. A lot of those are produced elsewhere, though. There's also Axton, which is one of the primary aerospace production facilities in the FS along with Panpour (which is fortunately not in the Capellan March).

There's a lot gained from the integration of the FS and DC, though, from the FS's perspective: the aero factory on Chatham alone (to say nothing of, say, Dover) probably makes up for the loss of Axton, and Al Na'ir and Marduk combined easily make up for Talon and Kathil in terms of military production. Everything else on top of that is just gravy.

So even if he doesn't have another plan ready to re-integrate the Capellan March/Duchy of New Syrtis, Hanse still pretty much had to do it - the losses are far outweighed by the gains, and the Duchy is unlikely to be aggressive towards the FS, so he gets a buffer state out of the deal. With the Lyrans also focused on the Clans (and Skye), the DC and FS both now can fight a one-front war for the first time in centuries.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, I'd go through and count the votes just to see who's actually winning at this point, but... :effort:

My gut says that E is still ahead, though.

What the hell happened to Quintus, anyway? Was he actually with the Highlanders trying to get them to defect? Why the hell would he stick around if he knew that Max Liao himself was en route? Unless he was there to meet Max for some under the table negotiations or something? Is he even actually dead? The only word we have of his death is from a Capellan news broadcast, and you drat well know that ain't exactly scoring high on the Fact-O-Meter!

Man, I'd like to see all this written out in a novel!

Justin Xiang-Allard as a double agent in this world too? That'd be a wicked twist indeed!

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
E because it needs to happen sometime.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Sent DWM his gift card, if anyone has any suggestions of an avatar / title post them before he picks something he'll regret!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

W.T. Fits posted:

Behold what your votes and actions in battle have wrought, Goons.

Hey, Rolling Thunder stopped the CC dead in its tracks, as we can see.

KnoxZone posted:

The time-skip presents some interesting situations. The Clans have Luthien and the Commonwealth is fragmented, but now they find themselves facing Hanse Davion and Frederick Steiner, two of the most competent leaders in canon. Tor Miraborg at the helm of a surprisingly active ComStar is another wrinkle. Add to this the fact that the LCAF, ComGuard, and AFDS (DSMS?) have had time to prepare...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clans start suffering the occasional defeat soon. It definitely won't be as easy as it has been.

Also, Caesar has been somewhat successful in convincing the Vipers that Steiner Rules Dueling is, yes, really a real thing, really, and to do it even though IS and Clan machines are completely even when it comes to melee combat. This, of course, assumes that the Vipers will continue fighting the LC.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 13, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Fraction Jackson posted:

With the Lyrans also focused on the Clans (and Skye), the DC and FS both now can fight a one-front war for the first time in centuries.

Actually that's probably the most interesting point. Only having one front is a huge deal strategically, and they'll be nominally fighting alongside the Lyrans (literally, as in they are on different sides of a border getting rolled up from the edge) which means the Inner Sphere as a whole is really starting to weigh in against the clans in a significant way.

Fantasy scenario - since the Davions and the Steiners haven't had much (relative) bad blood and the Davions are the superior partner in the Draconis Suns, those three factions will finally be getting along. Have Allard as a puppet refocus Capellan attention on Syrtis and team up with them to beat them down when the time comes to help cool relations off with the Capellans, and everyone just ignores/shits on the Free Worlders like usual. Bam, potential roadmap for an Inner Sphere U.N.-style Star League like there was in the actual timeline.

Now go ahead and knock it down with your precious 'common sense'.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
A

As cool as a Solaris battle would be, this has plenty of opportunities for horrible things to happen in.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Defiance Industries posted:

Also, Caesar has been somewhat successful in convincing the Vipers that Steiner Rules Dueling is, yes, really a real thing, really, and to do it even though IS and Clan machines are completely even when it comes to melee combat. This, of course, assumes that the Vipers will continue fighting the LC.

As long as they don't go overboard it'll be a huge benefit reducing or eliminating their melee penalty and using it when appropriate though.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting A. I want to see some goddamn friction between mortal enemies suddenly turned lance mates and the crazy new rides they stomp around in while teaming up to beat on their homes best regiments.

Also, in an effort to find a new combined nickname for Hanse I googled "dragon fox." Don't make my mistake. That's a rabbit hole nobody needs to go down.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
You know, of all the things from this thread, Steiner Rules dueling still has got to be one of the best ones.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

cwDeici posted:

As long as they don't go overboard it'll be a huge benefit reducing or eliminating their melee penalty and using it when appropriate though.

Well, removing the melee penalty just puts them on even footing. Consider how much more damage you can kick out with a Clan machine versus an IS machine of a similar size using weapons instead. Just being even is bad for them.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Save Solaris for the finals. Let's have a mismatched buddy comedy instead. Acted out by thirty foot robots. With lasers.

A

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

E because robots running around a factory shooting each other is like BattleTech meets Robo Rally and clearly nothing can be bad about the combination of those two things.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Also Takashi Ian Kurita-Davion, First Lord of the Star League has a nice ring to it :black101:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Man, I figured I'd be so drat far behind after not touching this thread for two months, but here we are!

voting E cause we need our own version of the Superbowl going on here, and I want to see how things shake out a bit more.

Also, can we have a Cannon vs LP comparison? I want to know exactly how badly/awesomely we've screwed over history here.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I think we should point out that we're probably never going to play the Finals, because that would seem to be a one-on-one match against Philip Capet. The Semi-Finals seem to be some kind of free-for-all to see who gets to go mano a mano with Capet.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Voting A for the Draconis Suns - may they last a million years.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Malek Deneith posted:

Voting A for the Draconis Suns - may they last a million years.

This is Battletech, they'll be lucky if they last five under the best conditions. :v:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Defiance Industries posted:

:hf:

Putting in a vote for E, it's been put off long enough and you just know some mysterious option or something with an awesome name will show up next vote and people will decide they don't want to see any of it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

jng2058 posted:

I think we should point out that we're probably never going to play the Finals, because that would seem to be a one-on-one match against Philip Capet. The Semi-Finals seem to be some kind of free-for-all to see who gets to go mano a mano with Capet.

Nothing to stop one of PTN's new fluff constructs from throwing their own tourny if people want it that bad.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
A.

Really no reason to do Solaris right now. It'd just be more fun to save it for the Finals, even if it means a 1v1 match.

...Actually, you know what? Especially if it means a 1v1 match. Not only would that be a short and sweet scenario, it would also be an amazing opportunity to display the rules of Edge and such, and possibly even indulge in a little mechbuilding if PTN would be open to letting us customize the challenger, within reason. Sure, it means only one person gets to play, but that person will be playing for everybody and as mentioned above, it won't take all that long.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

jng2058 posted:

You know, I'd go through and count the votes just to see who's actually winning at this point, but... :effort:

A - 28
B - 2
C - 5
D - 14
E - 42 (+1 conditional else A)

It's a quick skim so there are errors possible, and I may have missed a vote or two if they weren't bolded.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A - 28
B - 2
C - 5
D - 14
E - 42 (+1 conditional else A)

It's a quick skim so there are errors possible, and I may have missed a vote or two if they weren't bolded.

About what I figured. So, presuming we don't one of those crazy runs like we got on the Luthien-Regulan votes, we get to do the arena match but the Draconis Sun training exercise is the one that gets the most love of the ones we don't see.

I can live with that.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009
So does this mean we get to see Panthers and Dragons integrated with Enforcers and JagerMechs? Cause that would be pretty alright.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I think Syria got all the jägermechs.

This does finally put the question "which successor state does the victor belong to?" to rest, though.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still all for a free-for-all, in the MW4:Mercs vein. Those were the best thing about that game. I wonder if Duncan Fisher is going to be one of the pilots on the field. Or if we'll be getting under-the-table "temporary alliances" in the middle of battle.

jng2058 posted:

You know, looking at that map again, if I'm the Outworlds Alliance, I'm getting really nervous right about now.

This is just an idle thought, but just because we know the Falcons will be taking CHH's place doesn't mean we know exactly where the Jade Falcon advance will be coming from.

• Locked thread