Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Olivia42 posted:

Well, you thought I was bluffing, but I did it. I gave up knitting and took up the trombone. Music contest here I come.

It's about Dad.

Yes, no longer will I spend weeks carefully considering color and shape, fretting over designs and trying over and over to get the yarn to go just right, spending an embarrassing amount of effort on something that's mediocre at best that will in all likelihood never be seen by anyone but me and a couple of goons on SA, where the same thing can be made certainly more efficiently and probably of better quality by machines or maybe little sweatshop kids in China. No, I've moved on to spending weeks practicing, trying to remember techniques from back when I was good, recording and rerecording, spending an obscene amount of effort on something that's mediocre at best that will in all likelihood never be heard by anyone but me and a couple of goons on SA, where the same thing could be created certainly more efficiently and probably of better quality with computers.

I hate everything. :smithicide:

It's actually pretty good for a one-instrument piece :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I kept the demo open as long as I could. I even started putting the computer into hibernation instead of shutting it down but after a day or so the internet stopped working properly, the sound started stuttering and small fires broke out, none of which made working on a song easier.

This is what I got out of FL Studio before it started threatening my personal safety:

It is a song some music about an Auto-Responder. I found a synthesised whistle and thought that a computer pretending to be a person would be a good metaphor for a computer pretending to be a person. My song is not very deep I will admit.

I am learning though I think that's important!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
This thread is getting so musical all of a sudden! :glomp: If I had a new song to post I'd post it, but I'm too busy biting my nails about the music contest (which ends, gasp, tomorrow at 11:59 PM) to work on music.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Olivia42 posted:

Well, you thought I was bluffing, but I did it. I gave up knitting and took up the trombone. Music contest here I come.

It's about Dad.

Yes, no longer will I spend weeks carefully considering color and shape, fretting over designs and trying over and over to get the yarn to go just right, spending an embarrassing amount of effort on something that's mediocre at best that will in all likelihood never be seen by anyone but me and a couple of goons on SA, where the same thing can be made certainly more efficiently and probably of better quality by machines or maybe little sweatshop kids in China. No, I've moved on to spending weeks practicing, trying to remember techniques from back when I was good, recording and rerecording, spending an obscene amount of effort on something that's mediocre at best that will in all likelihood never be heard by anyone but me and a couple of goons on SA, where the same thing could be created certainly more efficiently and probably of better quality with computers.

Man this has just been the most magical night on the forums.

Please keep posting forever tia :allears:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Some Strange Flea posted:

I kept the demo open as long as I could. I even started putting the computer into hibernation instead of shutting it down but after a day or so the internet stopped working properly, the sound started stuttering and small fires broke out, none of which made working on a song easier.

This is what I got out of FL Studio before it started threatening my personal safety:

It is a song some music about an Auto-Responder. I found a synthesised whistle and thought that a computer pretending to be a person would be a good metaphor for a computer pretending to be a person. My song is not very deep I will admit.

I am learning though I think that's important!

I liiiike it. It's simple but really Dave/Dirk-y.

Edit: I mean Dave/Dirk-y in combination with the computery feeling~

Jewel fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 13, 2012

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Olivia42 posted:

where the same thing could be created certainly more efficiently and probably of better quality with computers.

Do you mean this in a "synthesized through computer software" sort of way? Or in a "cleaned up in post-production for crisper, clearer sound" sort of way? If it's the former, then you're wrong. Computers just don't do real instruments as well as a person with said instrument in hand.

The entry is excellent and you shouldn't sell yourself short. The community needs more classic musicians with actual instruments.

e: Olivia: Play haunting trombone refrain

Mr. D Bewildering fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 13, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
You guys make me wish I could find my cello :(

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Well he is was the Hier of Void :). But yeah, Hussie really likes making callbacks to his older works, Humanimals in particular for some reason.

Well if I was an artist id probably like to make callbacks to my magnum opus as well.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Olivia42 posted:

It's about Dad.

This is cool, and I'd like to see more stuff like it. Here's a few suggestions as you practice:

1) Check your 2nd position - some of your Es were almost Fs. 2nd is never as close to your face as you think it needs to be.

2) This one's a bit more esoteric, but when you're dealing with live instruments it will really give your music a polished sound - especially when you're overdubbing yourself. Since you're holding a big tuning slide, trombone is really, really good at being able to tune chords. Check out this chart. The long and short of it is that to really tune a chord properly, you've got to raise or lower certain notes from where they'd usually be. The root of the chord stays where it is, the fifth gets raised slightly, and the third gets raised or lowered depending on whether it's a major or minor third. So with your piece:

When the second voice comes in on an A and the first moves up to the C, according to the chart to really tune that A minor chord you'll want to raise the C by about 16 cents. Next bar, the E functions as the fifth of the same A minor chord, so it gets raised by about 2 cents. Next you've got Bb and F, so the F gets raised by 2 cents. Next is a G and a C, which the ear is going to hear as a C major chord, so the G gets raised 2 cents. Then Bb and D create a Bb major chord, and so the D will get lowered 14 cents. Then back to the A minor with the C being raised 16 cents like before.

Of course, you also have to factor in the tuning tendencies of the instrument. On trombone, the 3rd and 6th partials are sharp, and the 7th is flat. So your E above the A probably won't need to be raised at all, since it's naturally sharp to begin with, and might even need to be lowered slightly.

That's a whole lot of words that may or may not be helpful, but the gist of it is that every note in a chord will have a sweet spot where it will be perfectly in tune with the root. It you mess around, like record yourself playing one long tone and then play it back while playing various notes above it, you'll be able to hear when you're in the right place.

3) Keep it up! Don't get hung up on how you compare to other people with their playing or composing. If you just focus on where you're at, every day you practice is a day you get better and so a day that you've already won.

4) Keep on knitting. It gives you a good break from practicing.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

You guys make me wish I could find my cello :(

How the hell did you lose a cello. Did you put it a room and then forget where you lived?

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

Olivia42 posted:

It's about Dad.

I actually like this quite a lot, and I wish I had the actual musical talent to break out the real instruments instead of just swearing at garage band because it doesn't have the exact sound font I wanted. I would agree with the guy who actually knows poo poo about trombones that sometimes your tuning was a little funky, but I would really like to see some version of this submitted. It sounded very dignified and classical, which fits the hell out of Dad, and I loved the minor/dominant/whatever non-resolution at the end, too.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Well, I too managed to hack together a song just before the deadline. It's a strife theme for Sollux.

I have no talent with any real instruments, so this was made with software instruments in GarageBand. It took a long time because I kept fiddling with the instrumentation and relatives volumes to try to get a sound I liked. I'm not really happy with the drum line because I generally have no idea what to do with drums, but I'm still fairly proud of it.
I am very new at putting music together on a computer. Any tips on how to improve would be appreciated.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I've only been writing music for a few months, so clearly the right thing to do was enter a contest that's going to have professional musicians in it.

I did three, and sent them in a couple of days ago because my continual fiddling stopped improving them.

Hephaestus:

http://soundcloud.com/idonotlikepeas/hs-1

Cetus:

http://soundcloud.com/idonotlikepeas/hs-2

Typhaeus:

http://soundcloud.com/idonotlikepeas/hs-3

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Olivia42 posted:

It's about Dad.

Knit a trombone, then use it to play synth jazz. Let's see Chinese sweatshop computers do that :colbert:

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've only been writing music for a few months, so clearly the right thing to do was enter a contest that's going to have professional musicians in it.

I did three, and sent them in a couple of days ago because my continual fiddling stopped improving them.

Hephaestus:

http://soundcloud.com/idonotlikepeas/hs-1

Cetus:

http://soundcloud.com/idonotlikepeas/hs-2

Typhaeus:

http://soundcloud.com/idonotlikepeas/hs-3

I like the Typheus one the best. It reminds me of Molgera from Wind Waker (who is indeed a bigass flying snake) but calmer, more contemplative.. Which is good because the confrontation with Typheus is more about the choice than a fight.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Fagtastic posted:

How the hell did you lose a cello. Did you put it a room and then forget where you lived?

I played it a few years ago, we moved, and maybe we didn't get it out of the basement. Who knows.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I played it a few years ago, we moved, and maybe we didn't get it out of the basement. Who knows.

I still play mine all the time. Maybe I'll do something? Hmmmm??

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh you guys are so nice!

Loden Taylor, thank you so much for such effort in your critique. I'm blown away. I'm a wee bit tone deaf, (the kiss of death for a trombonist, which is partially why I gave up and went to law school) and I've always needed someone to tell me "your [x] is sharp, your [y] is flat," so thank you for that. I think I understand what you said about chords. It is a little advanced for me, but I'll try it out if I record another song, which I guess I'll have to do now in order to take advantage of your wonderful advice.

The reason I made it was really because we need some kind of representation for the fuddy-duddies. I do hope I'm not the only one to submit a traditional instrument recording, because that would be a pretty poor representation, but at least it's better than nothing. I don't stand much of a chance getting on the final album, but maybe there's a good clarinetist with the same idea, or a string quartet or something other than digital mixes, which are really cool, but a little overrepresented.

OOOH! Just now typing this I decided someone needs to write a Peter and the Wolf style composition depicting the events of Homestuck where every character is represented by a different instrument. You know, piano for John, violin for Rose, I think Radiation said tuba was Karkat's instrument, and assign everyone else a similarly fitting instrument to achieve full orchestration. Of course we'd need a bunch of people who together can play about forty different instruments... I'm beginning to see a flaw in my plan.

EDIT: Also, I was kidding about giving up knitting. I have, like, four projects in the works, including a pair of Derse pajamas.

Torgover fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 14, 2012

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Olivia42 posted:

Oh you guys are so nice!

Loden Taylor, thank you so much for such effort in your critique. I'm blown away. I'm a wee bit tone deaf, (the kiss of death for a trombonist, which is partially why I gave up and went to law school) and I've always needed someone to tell me "your [x] is sharp, your [y] is flat," so thank you for that. I think I understand what you said about chords. It is a little advanced for me, but I'll try it out if I record another song, which I guess I'll have to do now in order to take advantage of your wonderful advice.

The reason I made it was really because we need some kind of representation for the fuddy-duddies. I do hope I'm not the only one to submit a traditional instrument recording, because that would be a pretty poor representation, but at least it's better than nothing. I don't stand much of a chance getting on the final album, but maybe there's a good clarinetist with the same idea, or a string quartet or something other than digital mixes, which are really cool, but a little overrepresented.

OOOH! Just now typing this I decided someone needs to write a Peter and the Wolf style composition depicting the events of Homestuck where every character is represented by a different instrument. You know, piano for John, violin for Rose, I think Radiation said tuba was Karkat's instrument, and assign everyone else a similarly fitting instrument to achieve full orchestration. Of course we'd need a bunch of people who together can play about forty different instruments... I'm beginning to see a flaw in my plan.

Dammit, with your song and then Peter and the Wolf, you're really making me miss playing bassoon. I've never really had a head for composition, but if I get back in the the swing of things, I bet I can still sound vaguely decent on most instruments.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So I'm thinking that the universe UU lives in is going to be created when the post-scratch kids have a pre-scratch Troll-esque half-win.

I know that the most popular theory is that UU is a pre-Scatch troll, and some are speculating that they appear nice but will turn out destructive, like Calmasis, as an inversion of Karkat's initial hostility. But Doc Scratch suggested they may not have been cuthroat enoughfor the whole sinister manipulation thing, and if they saw it necessary to cause a scratch, what would they be doing in a lab in the Veil?

Maybe UU is the type of cosplayer who likes weird, obscure costumes, like a character from a story-within-a-story written by a character in her favorite fandom?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I thought the most popular theory was that UU - if genuine - lives in universe C, to be created by the ongoing session. Also, unless she's lying she's not in a Veil lab - her own group's session is just beginning.

Of course there's the deeply depressing possibility that C == A1, but I don't think so.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Of course there's the deeply depressing possibility that C == A1, but I don't think so.

please no Homestuck don't go all Dark Tower on us :(

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I thought the most popular theory was that UU - if genuine - lives in universe C, to be created by the ongoing session. Also, unless she's lying she's not in a Veil lab - her own group's session is just beginning.

OK then. I just sort of skim the thread intermittedently, mostly got focused on the discussion of UU as the personification of the fandom, and probably didn't see it. :shobon:

With everything being a callback to everything else, I think there is plenty of precedence for a Double Moebius Reach Around multiverse. There's still the possibility of more Weird Time poo poo to keep everything from completely Dark Tower-ing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Dark Grapefruit posted:

I like the Typheus one the best. It reminds me of Molgera from Wind Waker (who is indeed a bigass flying snake) but calmer, more contemplative.. Which is good because the confrontation with Typheus is more about the choice than a fight.

Thanks! I like yours too. It reminds me a bit of the music from the megaman games for some reason.

Olivia42 posted:

I've been poking tumblr and youtube and such to see what other people have posted for the past few weeks, and I recall a few other traditional works in progress. Definitely in the minority, though. I thought about laying down a clarinet track on one of mine, but I can't play it right now. (Err, physically. Long story, not worth getting into.)

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Olivia42 posted:

OOOH! Just now typing this I decided someone needs to write a Peter and the Wolf style composition depicting the events of Homestuck where every character is represented by a different instrument. You know, piano for John, violin for Rose, I think Radiation said tuba was Karkat's instrument, and assign everyone else a similarly fitting instrument to achieve full orchestration.

Which reminds me: we have no idea if the new kids play any instruments yet. :( I really hope they do.

I'm also really curious as to what the significance of the instruments will ultimately be. We already saw some strange organ/keyboard thing in beta John's memories.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

Which reminds me: we have no idea if the new kids play any instruments yet. :( I really hope they do.

I'm also really curious as to what the significance of the instruments will ultimately be. We already saw some strange organ/keyboard thing in beta John's memories.

We saw Jane play the piano in the intro flash for Act 6.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
We saw Jade play the piano in the act 6 opening flash, Dirk has all manner of turntables and related machinery (and has done some half-hearted rapping) and Roxy has Rose's violin on a shelf in her room. We haven't seen her play that and we don't know if Jake has any instruments, though, unless I missed something.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

We saw Jane play the piano in the intro flash for Act 6.

Oh right. Well that's one down, at least.
Maybe Dirk's rapping is his "instrument". Or his voice in general.

e: or, as mentioned above, the turntables and stuff.
So maybe their instruments will be the same as the other kids?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Roxy does have a violin on her shelf.

Speaking of music:

Something for Vriska. Maybe a battle theme? You decide.

Edit: I should mention it's meant to be looped, so that's why it just sorta ends.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 14, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Speaking of music:

Edit: I should mention it's meant to be looped, so that's why it just sorta ends.

Hmh, since I don't see too many people making simple chiptunes 'round here I might as well ask (Also you don't have IM or PM).

What do you find the best way (and/or how you did this piece) to compose chiptunes/music? Do you start off picking a scale, working from there? Do you just mess around with notes? How do you harmonize things (in a chiptune sense; it's a little harder because there's no "instruments" that just work together)? I'm always interested at looking into the minds of people who make music~

Edit: Also forgot to mention; but rad song.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jewel posted:

Hmh, since I don't see too many people making simple chiptunes 'round here I might as well ask (Also you don't have IM or PM).

What do you find the best way (and/or how you did this piece) to compose chiptunes/music? Do you start off picking a scale, working from there? Do you just mess around with notes? How do you harmonize things (in a chiptune sense; it's a little harder because there's no "instruments" that just work together)? I'm always interested at looking into the minds of people who make music~

Edit: Also forgot to mention; but rad song.

Sometimes I pick a scale and work from there, but sometimes I just mess around until something starts to form. I don't do chiptunes often. This like, my second one, but all I did was use an NES soundfont in FLStudio.

For harmonizing chiptunes, I just did it the same way I harmonized anything. A bit of tweaking was involved. That and just accepting that you're going to get some dissonance, but you have to make it work for you.

This was probably a lovely answer and I could probably answer better if I was less dumb, but there you go.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Snollygoster posted:

please no Homestuck don't go all Dark Tower on us :(

Just hope Andrew Hussie doesn't get hit by a van or something.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Sometimes I pick a scale and work from there, but sometimes I just mess around until something starts to form. I don't do chiptunes often. This like, my second one, but all I did was use an NES soundfont in FLStudio.

For harmonizing chiptunes, I just did it the same way I harmonized anything. A bit of tweaking was involved. That and just accepting that you're going to get some dissonance, but you have to make it work for you.

This was probably a lovely answer and I could probably answer better if I was less dumb, but there you go.

Better question then (trying not to ask too many :T).

In what way'd you learn to make music? Books, self taught, lessons~? If books, recommend me some again :toot:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jewel posted:

Better question then (trying not to ask too many :T).

In what way'd you learn to make music? Books, self taught, lessons~? If books, recommend me some again :toot:

As far as making the music goes, I'm self-taught, but I have played instruments before, so that certainly helped.

If you want to take this away from the thread I set my AIM username in profile so you can reach me there.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

Thanks! I like yours too. It reminds me a bit of the music from the megaman games for some reason.

Well thank you! And I was pretty heavily inspired by Megaman classic and X games, they're pretty much my favourite video game tunes. I even directly referenced the song for (what else) Gemini Man.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Well, I too managed to hack together a song just before the deadline. It's a strife theme for Sollux.

I don't really know the first thing about music composition, but I like this song a whole hell of a lot. Sollux has my favorite music out of all the trolls and I think this fits well with what's been established as his 'sound'. It'd probably sound even more awesome with non-garage-band instrumentation.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Psipolar felt very Trollcops to me for some reason I can't really back up :3:

Olivia42 posted:

It's about Dad.

Aw, a trombone choir is not what I was expecting here, but it fits Dad really well :unsmith: man, I really need to pick music back up, I graduated and all my instruments started gathering dust

Starmaker posted:

Knit a trombone, then use it to play synth jazz. Let's see Chinese sweatshop computers do that :colbert:

*~Synth jazz~* Am I knitting or is this stupid?

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Speaking of music:

This is pretty awesome, and (I feel like an unqualified douchebag offering criticism despite not having written anything more involved than a marching band arrangement since high school, but) I kinda think it'd go really well with a more prominent percussion track. A driving beat to keep your head nodding, knaamean?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, the official word from Radiation is "a number higher than 700" submissions to the music contest. Jesus gently caress.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

YggiDee posted:

Well, the official word from Radiation is "a number higher than 700" submissions to the music contest. Jesus gently caress.

Given how prolific this fandom is, I am not the least bit surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

YggiDee posted:

"If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say there were about 1000 submissions. But there are definitely more than 700."

Jeez I feel sorry for Andrew having to listen to each and every single song and pick out only a handful for the album.