Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
That's kind of what I was thinking. The expiration date on my carton was like 6 days ago but it still smells and looks exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Would any of you guys have any advice on good cookbooks? I'm soon to leave my parents' basement, as it were, and will have to fend for myself in making meals. Something to offer advice and generate ideas so that I'm not just eating cereal, ham sandwiches and pasta for each meal?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

LashLightning posted:

Would any of you guys have any advice on good cookbooks? I'm soon to leave my parents' basement, as it were, and will have to fend for myself in making meals. Something to offer advice and generate ideas so that I'm not just eating cereal, ham sandwiches and pasta for each meal?
Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

mahill
Dec 29, 2006
So...I want to make Filet Mignon for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day. Should I pair it with broccolini or asparagus? I bought both from the market, but I feel that broccolini would probably be more in season in my area (Ohio) and more flavorful.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

mahill posted:

So...I want to make Filet Mignon for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day. Should I pair it with broccolini or asparagus? I bought both from the market, but I feel that broccolini would probably be more in season in my area (Ohio) and more flavorful.

Yes broccolini is more in season and more flavorful, but that flavor is going to overpower the filet. Also Id say filet and asparagus is more "classic" steakhouse kind of stuff.

But asparagus makes things smell funny so if youre looking to get lucky you may want to skip it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

London Broil means different things in different places. Take a picture of it.

It was a big hunk of flank. I just did it on the cast iron. Tasted pretty good, even if it wasn't the most tender thing in the world.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Mach420 posted:

I could almost swear that Alton Brown had mentioned on a show (lasagna?) that having salt crystals in the dough is a recipe for disaster because of holes. Maybe it has something to do with that?

This was pretty spot on. Had a lot more success today doing this

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Susical posted:

I've got a shitload of pulled pork I made the other day, but for some weird reason, I haven't been in the mood to eat plain pork.

What are some good soups/stews I could make with it? I'm thinking of throwing a bunch of stuff in my crockpot and making a sort of spicy tortilla soup with pork. But what's a good tortilla soup recipe? I've tried making a few of the basic ones I've found online, but they were pretty plain. Anyone got anything?

1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large yellow or sweet onion, thinly sliced
Couple cups of pulled pork
Soy sauce
sriracha
hoisin
sesame seeds
green onion
cilantro
rice

In a wok or very large skillet, fry the pork in a little oil until warm and crispy in spots. Set aside. Now saute the onion with a little oil until translucent and maybe a little brown in spots. Add the cabbage, and cook until starting to wilt. Add the pork, mix well, and add soy sauce, sriracha, and hoisin to taste. Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds, green onions, and cilantro. Shovel into your greedy maw because goddamn if that isn't delicious and stupid easy.

Also, carnitas. Tortilla, radish, cilantro, onion, hot sauce, maybe avocado if you're feeling frisky.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

LashLightning posted:

The Cooks Illustrated book is good starter book - http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Illustrated-Cookbook-Americas-Magazine/dp/1933615893/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329116688&sr=1-1 Lots of tips on technique and explaining how the recipes work.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The Cooks Illustrated book is good starter book - http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Illustrated-Cookbook-Americas-Magazine/dp/1933615893/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329116688&sr=1-1 Lots of tips on technique and explaining how the recipes work.

I'll second that as someone who is probably a lot less experienced that you and most anyone who is kindly answering questions in this thread. Heck, anything by America's Test Kitchen is decent. They have a Slow-Cooker book that's excellent and appropriate for someone who would like to concentrate on ingredient combinations without risking ruining a dish by actually cooking it with a stove. This is like learning how to play music by buying Rocksmith as opposed to just getting a guitar.

I picture that the Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen gang are all a bunch of clones of Alton Brown, only with slight genetic variations and while wearing corny bow ties. This is much like their process for perfecting recipes, which involves doing the same dish 50 different ways and refining the recipes with scientific precision.

hokiehokiehokiehigh
Aug 3, 2007
tech tech vpi
I bought a bag of 44 uncooked tortillas from costco the other day. besides chicken fajitas, what can i make with this many tortillas? Breakfast burritos?

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

I'm really in the mood to make Turkish UK takeaway style lamb shish kebabs, but in my kitchen. Anyone who lives here knows what I mean - big, tender chunks of marinated lamb cooked on a hot grill.

Does anyone know of a good receipe for that marinade? I've had a couple of looks on Google and I've found a couple, but I'm not sure how, er, authentic they are to the proper UK shish kebab experience. The good kind.

Dache fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 13, 2012

SEC
Nov 14, 2005
Hey GWS! I'm looking for an old fashioned southern fried chicken recipe. Most recipes I'm seeing is basically flour and spices to coat the chicken and then frying them in lard. Just wondering if anyone has some tricks/tips for me! Thanks!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

SEC posted:

Hey GWS! I'm looking for an old fashioned southern fried chicken recipe. Most recipes I'm seeing is basically flour and spices to coat the chicken and then frying them in lard. Just wondering if anyone has some tricks/tips for me! Thanks!

Use a cast iron skillet if you can so you can get that nice caramelization/whatever it's called on the crust when you first put them in skin side down.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Soak the chicken in buttermilk onion parsley and spices for a day prior to frying .

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Dache posted:

I'm really in the mood to make Turkish UK takeaway style lamb shish kebabs, but in my kitchen. Anyone who lives here knows what I mean - big, tender chunks of marinated lamb cooked on a hot grill.

Does anyone know of a good receipe for that marinade? I've had a couple of looks on Google and I've found a couple, but I'm not sure how, er, authentic they are to the proper UK shish kebab experience. The good kind.

I don't know a good recipe for this, but I hope you find out and tell us how it goes. I would love to make some shish like I had in Turkey.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SEC posted:

Just made fried chicken last night. 2nd-ing cast iron and buttermilk soak. Go for a shallow fry, where the chicken is only covered halfway in oil.

You need a good frying thermometer to make sure your oil is not too cold (food will get super greasy) or too hot (food will burn, oil will get funky)

Also, make sure the spices are under the flour dredge.

LashLightning posted:

How to Cook Everything is a popular one (got it for x-mas, haven't really gone over it yet).

Personally I got Ratio and fell in love. If you learn how to do these basics, you can make almost anything.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

But asparagus makes things smell funny so if youre looking to get lucky you may want to skip it.

I think that effect takes more then a few hours to kick in. Maybe being wary the next morning.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

bunnielab posted:

I think that effect takes more then a few hours to kick in. Maybe being wary the next morning.

I don't know about other bodily secretions, but asparagus can change the smell of urine within an hour or two.

Awesomesauce
Nov 13, 2006

6 parts robot
1 part turtle
Salt and pepper to taste
Does anyone have an idea why egg is such a staple ingredient in fried rice? Why not just have all the other ingredients, rice and skip the egg? What does the egg add?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Awesomesauce posted:

Does anyone have an idea why egg is such a staple ingredient in fried rice? Why not just have all the other ingredients, rice and skip the egg? What does the egg add?

Cheap protein, you have to remember that most fried rice in America is actually really dumb. Fried rice is what you do with leftovers in various Asian countries. If you have leftover rice but no leftover meats and you still want protein, an egg is the cheapest way to add that. Cooking raw meat just for the sake of fried rice is a very western thing.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 13, 2012

SEC
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks for the chicken help everyone!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I'm trying to bake something with chicken thighs over rice and would like some help figuring out what to put in it :shobon:

I was thinking of putting red wine (or a red wine vinegar), butter, shallots, chicken stock, and maybe garlic in the rice. Is there anything else I should put into a dish like that? I'm also trying to figure out what kind of wine to use, or if I should be using a malt vinegar instead. My instinct would tell me something dry and tangy but I don't know anything

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 13, 2012

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Thanks for all the help earlier guys.
Last weekend I got a big bundle of broccoli from the farmer's market. I can't seem to find a good recipe to cook it in, what do you guys suggest? I was thinking something to do with chicken.

On that note: I have a bag of uncooked brown rice that also needs to be cooked. I don't have a rice cooker or the funds to get one. How do you guys cook your rice on the stove? I followed the directions and it still came out bad.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Roargasm posted:

I'm trying to bake something with chicken thighs over rice and would like some help figuring out what to put in it :shobon:

I was thinking of putting red wine (or a red wine vinegar), butter, shallots, chicken stock, and maybe garlic in the rice. Is there anything else I should put into a dish like that? I'm also trying to figure out what kind of wine to use, or if I should be using a malt vinegar instead. My instinct would tell me something dry and tangy but I don't know anything

That sounds fine but it needs more spices, you could throw in some cracked peppercorns (or green ones if you have any), make the sauce separately and thicken it, then pour over chicken and rice

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Use some thyme in there, also.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

hokiehokiehokiehigh posted:

I bought a bag of 44 uncooked tortillas from costco the other day. besides chicken fajitas, what can i make with this many tortillas? Breakfast burritos?

Breakfast burritos for sure but also enchiladas, quesadillas, regular burritos, chimichangas, sopapillas (fry in oil till they puff and drizzle with cinnamon and sugar and a bit of honey), use for sandwich wraps or fry them up and make some seriously greasy (and wonderful) tacos.

44 tortillas? That's a good start.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cheap protein, you have to remember that most fried rice in America is actually really dumb. Fried rice is what you do with leftovers in various Asian countries. If you have leftover rice but no leftover meats and you still want protein, an egg is the cheapest way to add that. Cooking raw meat just for the sake of fried rice is a very western thing.

Yeah -- it's kind of a big deal to get chicken.. it's like they're sacrificing their egg supply to honor you. Well.. I mean not anymore really, but you get the idea.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I have a bluefish!

I'm probably going to do the butter, herbs and foil thing, but do any of you have other awesome ideas? I remember having bluefish with a balsamic sauce, that was fun.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Does anyone have a pra ram recipe?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

This recipe calls for something called Hing, which wikipedia tells me is another name for asafoetida. Since I've never seen either of those in stores where I live (although I've also not looked that hard), what could work as a substitute for a chutney like this? Wikie says it is similar to leeks, I was thinking that or some onion powder (:rolleye:) might fit.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Chard posted:

This recipe calls for something called Hing, which wikipedia tells me is another name for asafoetida. Since I've never seen either of those in stores where I live (although I've also not looked that hard), what could work as a substitute for a chutney like this? Wikie says it is similar to leeks, I was thinking that or some onion powder (:rolleye:) might fit.

It took me forever to find a store that sells hing. That said, it smells/tastes vile as poo poo and even though most recipes call for a teeny tiny bit, I've left it out ever since the first mistake of adding a tad too much in and I haven't missed it.

Awesomesauce
Nov 13, 2006

6 parts robot
1 part turtle
Salt and pepper to taste

GrAviTy84 posted:

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah -- it's kind of a big deal to get chicken.. it's like they're sacrificing their egg supply to honor you. Well.. I mean not anymore really, but you get the idea.

Cool, that makes perfect sense. Thanks guys.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

hokiehokiehokiehigh posted:

Corn tortillas ? Fry them up in some oil until they are crispy and have a tostada party. Heat them up in oven to make them extra crispy. Get two big giant cans of pinto beans and cook them until they start to fall apart (about 45 minutes) with bacon grease, salt, pepper, and a little chili powder. Mash them and then put a big rear end spoonful on each crunchy tortilla, then top with cheese followed by lettuce, tomato, avocado, hot sauce...

Just set a potato masher on top of the tortilla so it stays flat while you fry it. And if you have any chorizo, cook it up and mix it in with the beans for an extra greasy treat.

Don't put hamburger or chicken on them, it's supposed to be all about the beans. Don't put sour cream on them either, poor mexicans don't eat sour cream.

Serve with Coca-cola, it usually turns into a contest between my brother and I to see who can eat ten first.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

So I bought a steamed lobster, to prepare tomorrow for Valentine's day, but I'm not sure what to do with it. My SO recently told me she's never had lobster so that's my motivation. On the one hand, I'd like to let it stand on its own, with lemon and butter over a bed of greens. On the other hand, she can be a picky eater, so I'm also considering "disguising" it a bit with lobster ravioli. Any other suggestions? Something in between these extremes maybe?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

theDoubleH posted:

So I bought a steamed lobster, to prepare tomorrow for Valentine's day, but I'm not sure what to do with it. My SO recently told me she's never had lobster so that's my motivation. On the one hand, I'd like to let it stand on its own, with lemon and butter over a bed of greens. On the other hand, she can be a picky eater, so I'm also considering "disguising" it a bit with lobster ravioli. Any other suggestions? Something in between these extremes maybe?

Let it shine and have a backup plan unless she doesn't like it? It's already steamed and you bought it not the day of? Hmmm, well hopefully its ok

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

theDoubleH posted:

when was it steamed and is it fresh or frozen? It's probably out of season and therefore hard shelled and a bit flavorless but with lots of meat. Is it whole or just a tail/claws?

Don't mean to be obnoxious, but I can say that I'm a subject matter expert when it comes to lobster. I want to help.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 14, 2012

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It was steamed fresh in the supermarket a few hours ago (been in the fridge since I got home). It was an impulse buy as it was fairly cheap for lobster (and I was in a supermarket that won't be feasible to return to tomorrow); if I really shouldn't eat it the next day I could prepare it tonight - I haven't started on dinner yet. It's whole.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

theDoubleH posted:

It was steamed fresh in the supermarket a few hours ago (been in the fridge since I got home). It was an impulse buy as it was fairly cheap for lobster; if I really shouldn't eat it the next day I could prepare it tonight - I haven't started on dinner yet. It's whole.

Cool. if it's a whole steamed lobster eat it tonight! reheat it gently in the oven. You can reheat it tomorrow but it won't be as good. Assuming it's whole the guts and entrails are included, which causes the lobster to get gross, fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

Cool. if it's a whole steamed lobster eat it tonight! reheat it gently in the oven. You can reheat it tomorrow but it won't be as good. Assuming it's whole the guts and entrails are included, which causes the lobster to get gross, fast.

OK, thanks for the tip! We'll eat it tonight.