Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
I could be wrong, but don’t the majority of jobs that require you to take a drug test involve working with heavy machinery? It’s not because “if you’re a drug addict, you don’t deserve your money”, it’s simply a way to make sure no one is under the effects of drugs or intoxication while using dangerous equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
It's kinda bullshit presuppose that if someone smokes pot or drinks on the weekends or in their free time that they're going to come to work obliterated and kill a bunch of people.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Incorrect Username posted:

I could be wrong, but don’t the majority of jobs that require you to take a drug test involve working with heavy machinery? It’s not because “if you’re a drug addict, you don’t deserve your money”, it’s simply a way to make sure no one is under the effects of drugs or intoxication while using dangerous equipment.

No, I had to do it to get a job as a cashier. I actually thought it was more of an insurance thing.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
Really? The only time I've heard of it here (Australia) is in mining jobs.

I agree Loving Life Partner, it is bullshit that someone can get fired from their job for smoking a joint a few days ago. Unfortunatly it carries that whole stigma of "only the guilty should be against it".

Workplaces can easily say "we don't want anyone to come to work under the influence for safety reasons" and if you're caught for something in your system last week, they can come back with "well it's illegal so you shouldn't be doing it anyway".

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

I agree Loving Life Partner, it is bullshit that someone can get fired from their job for smoking a joint a few days ago. Unfortunatly it carries that whole stigma of "only the guilty should be against it".

Workplaces can easily say "we don't want anyone to come to work under the influence for safety reasons" and if you're caught for something in your system last week, they can come back with "well it's illegal so you shouldn't be doing it anyway".

I just decided to google "jobs that require a drug test" and the first link is an article from 2007 stating that 84% of all jobs require a drug test.

quote:

A 2006 survey by the Society for Human Resource Management found that 84 percent of employers required new hires to pass drug screenings, and 39 percent randomly tested employees after they were hired. In addition, 73 percent tested workers when drug use was suspected and 58 percent required testing after accidents on the job.

And this is why I recommend coke, meth, and heroin*, as they pass through the body quickly.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sarion posted:

No, I had to do it to get a job as a cashier. I actually thought it was more of an insurance thing.

I had to get one when I worked as a salesperson at Best Buy. They're all over the loving place.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
I had to take one to get a job as a nurse. I also had to take on when I was in school before clinical. They do random drug tests too, but mostly only if they suspect you are doing drugs. Not only the nurses are tested, all employees from kitchen to housekeeping. As if it really affects their job if they smoke a little pot on their days off.

And every job I have ever heard of makes you take drug tests if you get hurt on the job in order to collect workman's comp. My husband used to manage fast food restaurants and said that there were some employees that would refuse to go to the doctor right away because they knew they would fail the piss test.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Are we in fact the only country that does drug testing on that huge a level? That's what I always heard, but it's generally been from other Americans.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To get any kind of job at a school, licensed teaching or not, you have to have a drug test and background check. Education's a pretty big sector of the economy so that's a lot of people right there.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Amused to Death posted:

Are we in fact the only country that does drug testing on that huge a level? That's what I always heard, but it's generally been from other Americans.

I've never been drug tested for a job here in the UK, and for my current job in the insurance industry I had to submit to a criminal records search along with a credit check to ensure that I didn't have a history of bad debt that might make me suceptible to bribes or the commission of identity fraud. As far as I'm concerned drug tests are something athletes get.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I'm a drat criminal defense attorney, (county employee) and they made me piss in a drat cup.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's all thanks to The War On Drugs, or "Keeping anyone that's not rich down"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The real kicker is that you have to pay for your own, or at least I did. Yeah sure, just let me, a person who was unemployed for 7 months prior to landing this part time job, drive 20 miles both ways and pay $30-50 to have my privacy invaded. I've literally never even taken an illegal drug and it's still loving stupid.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm an attorney that's worked at medium-large to large firms my entire career up until a few months ago and I've never pissed in a cup, and neither has anyone else I've ever worked with (or at least I've never heard of it). I think there's quite a bit to the whole "keeping the poor down" aspect of it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I was "randomly selected" for a drug test when I worked at Circuit City but never at a real job since then. And never for any job outside of America.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Countblanc posted:

The real kicker is that you have to pay for your own, or at least I did.

Drug testing is lovely in every way, but this is the first time I've ever heard of someone having to pay for their own test (besides the welfare recipients in Florida). Let's hope it doesn't become a trend.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Amused to Death posted:

Isn't it for insurance reasons? Most developed countries have UHC so that's probably one of the reasons why peeing in a cup is a uniquely American past-time.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

The Rokstar posted:

I think there's quite a bit to the whole "keeping the poor down" aspect of it.

This is the absolute truth. It's another scare factor and hurdle meant to act as a control mechanism on people in low-wage, low-security jobs who come from disadvantaged backgrounds. In the food service jobs I had, the ones which didn't test were a kind of security blanket for people who relied on marijuana or other drugs to dull the shittiness of their lives. One of the reasons they rarely left for other, better jobs was because of fear of testing, and at the jobs I had where they did test, the sword of damocles was often on people's mind.

However, once I got out of food service, tests were uncommon at best. No one was harried or worried about the prospect of a lifestyle audit, and their decision to stay in their workplace was guided by whether or not it was actually a good place to work.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

The Rokstar posted:

I'm an attorney that's worked at medium-large to large firms my entire career up until a few months ago and I've never pissed in a cup, and neither has anyone else I've ever worked with (or at least I've never heard of it). I think there's quite a bit to the whole "keeping the poor down" aspect of it.

Yeah, I had to pee in a cup to work as a cashier for $7 an hour; but when I got my job at IBM and then Intel, nope, no piss test.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

PTBrennan posted:

If you support Obama this year, please drive with your headlights off at night so you get into a crash and die.
Unironically supporting this 100%.

JakBauer
Nov 13, 2003

BAH BAH BAH
Big fan of the ever popular "Why are people discussing death of famous person X when ARE TROOPS are dying in the Middle East?? Why arent people on Facebook posting about them?" and other similar items for events like celebrations for champion sports teams or awards shows.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Is it crass to respond with "because the general population literally has never or will ever give a flying gently caress about soldiers ever"?

I mean the general response to seeing a soldier missing a limb while out and about is to avoid eye contact. Nobody wants to be in the presence of a monument to the lovely decisions we've made on foreign diplomacy.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't think we need to talk about ARE TROOPS 24 hours a day but I thought it was pretty gross that the news last night started off with talk of Whitney Houston. Surely there's something more important to talk about than her, ARE TROOPS or not.

But maybe it's just because I don't give a poo poo about her.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
More like, one death is a tragedy sort of thing.

Also, the same people who do ARE TROOPS are the ones who want us to stay in the war, go to war, ect.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

More like, one death is a tragedy sort of thing.

Also, the same people who do ARE TROOPS are the ones who want us to stay in the war, go to war, ect.

Yeah, that. I don't support the troops and I didn't support either war. They were the ones beating the war drums, now they want us to reflect on the tragedy of a soldier's death.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Amused to Death posted:

I've never been drugtested, and I know of noone who did in Belgium. As far as I know, the only jobs that could possibly require it are job like commercial pilots, train drivers, and military/police.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fishstick posted:

I've never been drugtested, and I know of noone who did in Belgium. As far as I know, the only jobs that could possibly require it are job like commercial pilots, train drivers, and military/police.

Don't you have testing for nurses and other medical personnel (who could, potentially, steal pills at work or forge prescriptions)?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

myron_cope posted:

I don't think we need to talk about ARE TROOPS 24 hours a day but I thought it was pretty gross that the news last night started off with talk of Whitney Houston. Surely there's something more important to talk about than her, ARE TROOPS or not.

Iunno, Whitney Houston was pretty important in mainstream acceptance of black pop musicians. That makes her newsworthy IMO.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

myron_cope posted:

I was flipping through the channels the other night and came across the Headline News Network. You'd assume they'd be talking about important poo poo, right? Nope, they were interviewing Kris Jenner and speculating on whether Kim Kardashian's divorce would be televised. That whole family needs to disappear for awhile.

Hezballer Status
Apr 8, 2010

by T. Mascis
Headline News is a news channel that focuses on the world of entertainment. They literally never focus on anything important.

During the previous administration, flagwavers were incensed every time the media focused on troop causalities, but now they're upset when the media doesn't. :wtc:

Hezballer Status fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 14, 2012

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

myron_cope posted:

The US military has been intervening in some foreign conflict pretty much constantly since WWII. "More US Soldiers die" sadly isn't a headline anymore. Whitney Houston is a celebrity and garners some attention, and will fade as the next big story comes up, but the next big story won't be what the military is up to, either.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Loving Life Partner posted:

Is it crass to respond with "because the general population literally has never or will ever give a flying gently caress about soldiers ever"?

I mean the general response to seeing a soldier missing a limb while out and about is to avoid eye contact. Nobody wants to be in the presence of a monument to the lovely decisions we've made on foreign diplomacy.

what the gently caress are you talking about people bend over backwards to shake soldier's hands and give them free poo poo and thank them for their service and never shut up about how much soldiers are amazing and better people than the rest of us

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Riptor posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about people bend over backwards to shake soldier's hands and give them free poo poo and thank them for their service and never shut up about how much soldiers are amazing and better people than the rest of us

Until they enter the voting booth.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Riptor posted:

Oh thank you soldier! Oh thank you so much! *shakes hand* *puts ribbon on his bumper*

People LOVE to thank veterans, to shake their hands, to *support* them in anyway that doesn't actually mean poo poo.

Want a job? gently caress you

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Riptor posted:

I'm sure Scott Olsen begs to differ.

GraveyTrain
Aug 30, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Don't you have testing for nurses and other medical personnel (who could, potentially, steal pills at work or forge prescriptions)?

Yes. I'm a pharmacist and have had pre-employment drug tests at each of my positions so far. I have also had to order a random drug test for all my staff after a box of morphine and several Duragesic patches went missing. It turned out one of my most trusted and tenured staff members came up highly positive for cocaine, and opioids. She admitted to pilfering cocaine and narcotics for years.

The sad thing is she was a pretty awesome employee.

Another life destroyed.

I couldn't sleep well for awhile after having to let her go and report her to the board of pharmacy.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Sam. posted:

Everybody knows gays and liberals don't count

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
I had to pass a drug test and the Finnish Security Intelligence Service's security check to get my current job. Most of what we do is covered by a bank-grade NDA and we have several important corporations and institutions as customers, so I guess it makes sense. But then again, I know a company that hosts official registry databases for a government department, and they didn't have any kind of overt screening. :confused:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

CellBlock posted:

The US military has been intervening in some foreign conflict pretty much constantly since WWII. "More US Soldiers die" sadly isn't a headline anymore. Whitney Houston is a celebrity and garners some attention, and will fade as the next big story comes up, but the next big story won't be what the military is up to, either.
Well I'm not even really saying talking about Whitney Houston isn't news, but I guess I just objected to leading off the nightly news talking about her. And not even reporting her death, this was two days later...the story was about her body going back to new jersey. I mean didn't Greece pass austerity measures? Didn't something happen in the presidential race? Didn't the actual president do something? It doesn't have to be the troops, I just don't see why a celebrity, really any celebrity needs to be the top story two days after his/her death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sam. posted:

What did he do?