Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

invision posted:

I hate firehouse politics.

It can really burn you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
Politics only seem to go away by going to a paid department, though even then they don't disappear.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

senor punk posted:

Politics only seem to go away by going to a paid department, though even then they don't disappear.

If anything, they get worse.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Crazy Dutchman posted:

If anything, they get worse.

Really? I mean there's always cliques, but it still feels not as bad as my old volley days.

edit: Happy to report that progress is coming along... slowly with the FDNY exam. Exam dates are set and I'll be taking it in about a month and a half.

senor punk fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 28, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I'm not superstitious or anything, but I hate it when I jinx poo poo.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

So, who here is their Department's white cloud or black cloud? Because I'm thinking I'm the black cloud between the vehicle entrapment, the car into the house's gas main and the guy puking up blood on my last 3 duty shifts.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So at the last training fire we had, I was a hose captain, with a new guy that was "on another department for like 3 years, i've totally been in house fires before man!" on the nozzle because he's such a badass.

We hit the bathroom, get it stopped, then move to the bedroom next to it. He gets it kind of knocked down, so I walk in ahead of him to check above the doorframe that is still on fire. I turn around to tell him to get it out and the motherfucker DISAPPEARED.

So here I am in a burning room, no hose, and no team. I manage to find my way back to the living room. Turns out the guy is sitting in the kitchen doing absolutely nothing. I pull his rear end back out to the living room so we can advance down a hallway with fire at the end, burning from the floor up. We get into the hallway, he straight streams it and rolls fire over the top of us, then runs back to the kitchen to sit and hang out and just kind of chill like there's no big rush to do anything. All the while I'm screaming "WHERE THE gently caress ARE YOU?". The kid is SITTING on the floor with the nozzle in his hand big chillin'. I called for them to retreat, and by the time we get out, the fire is up in the attic. We get out the door, I grab a few dudes that know what's up, and we go in and save the place.

Basically, if you don't know what you're doing, don't act like you know what the gently caress is up then get inside and freak out and act like a retard. If you're moving, let EVERYONE know what you're doing. I realize that as a line captain I'm supposed to know where my team is at all times, but if I tell you to hold on, that means don't loving run off without telling me or your teammates.

tl;dr, let a new guy who said he knows what's up on the nozzle. He then proceeds to just do whatever the gently caress he wants, panic, shut down, and come pretty close to getting us hurt. If you're gonna spaz out and shut down when it gets hot, then you don't belong on a hose, ever.

I mean, if he would've said "I've never been interior before" I would've held his hand more and put him second or third on the line. Lying to get on the nozzle is going to get someone hurt.

The guy hasn't been back to the firehouse since all of this happened.

With all of that said, I've got another training burn this weekend at a fire field about an hour away. My buddy whose going with me bought a helmet cam, and I'm gonna try out the GoPro. Hopefully I'll get some cool footage to share with you guys.

E: What's a good training scenario to work on communication skills with the new guys? We do SAR drills blacked out, and it kinda helps, but there's a definite need for the new guys to learn how to communicate while they're on the hose.

invision fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 15, 2012

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Wooo, elections were tonight, 2 hours of my life I'll never get back :toot: but we're getting a burn trailer for a month I guess? Life isn't all bad.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Okay you all need to watch this video. Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RhD_5T4F7aw

What in the gently caress?

blog posted:

It’s actually a compilation of videos of the Grant’s Pass Rural Fire Department in Josephine County Oregon which is in southwest OR along I-5 and the California border.
Grant’s Pass Rural Fire Department is one of three private fire departments competing for fire protection “contracts” for properties in the county. See if you share the myriad of emotions that others have when you see these “firefighters” in action at a residential structure fire.
One you are past the “Oh my God’s” and the “What the &%^#’s”, I’d like to challenge you to watch it a second time. Only this time, I want you to ask yourself, “if I’m watching this fire department floundering on video, how many other fire departments in the United States operate in similar ways, with no command structure, old equipment, no PPE, no money, and no clue?”
My guess is that there are quite a few.
Now, let’s take this a step further.
I’d like to pose a challenge to you, the firefighter: Put yourself into each of the following roles and think about what actions you would take based solely upon the information in the videos and what I have provided you in this article.
You have just been appointed as fire chief of the GPVF and you have just seen this video.
You are the fire chief of the Rural/Metro Fire Department, a neighboring combination department and you have just seen this video..
You are a resident considering with which department to contract your fire protection services: GPVFD at a very, very low cost (45 cents per thousand) , GPFR at a cost five times that of GPVFD, or elect to opt out entirely from any fire contract and you have just seen this video.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

invision posted:

Okay you all need to watch this video. Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RhD_5T4F7aw

What in the gently caress?

Not surprised departments like that exist. Ticking clock on waiting for one of those guys to die due to lack of leadership/training/PPE.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
The free market works!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Getting my GoPro tomorrow. Have a cottage fire training burn this saturday. Hopefully the camera doesn't melt then I get to show off to you guys on the internet how us Texas boys do things.

Unfortunately it's probably going to be burning hay and nothing exciting.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

Not surprised departments like that exist. Ticking clock on waiting for one of those guys to die due to lack of leadership/training/PPE.

That's some third world poo poo right there.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Just got back from a trailer house with smoke pouring out of the eaves.

Saved it.

:smug:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

New department policy... no roof ventilation...ever.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Ummm wow! That is retarded.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

invision posted:

You have to be kidding. Please be kidding? Somebody gonna lose a house :ohdear:

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Cage Kicker posted:

You have to be kidding. Please be kidding? Somebody gonna lose a house :ohdear:

Or someone is going to have a room flash on them?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That was my general line of thinking, but I was quick posting from a phone. Who came up with this, and why?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Volunteer FF/EMT since '08

I don't put stickers on my car/helmet and I don't wear shirts with stupid firefighting phrases on them.

invision posted:

Did that policy come out of nowhere or did someone get hurt? Vertical ventilation can make one hell of difference, so they must have had a reason.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Reminalt posted:

Volunteer FF/EMT since '08

I don't put stickers on my car/helmet and I don't wear shirts with stupid firefighting phrases on them.

The only firefighting shirts I have are my department shirt, one from A&M fire school, and a free shirt from a bar from a "support the firefighters" event they had.

I wear the department shirt when I'm at the station doing something, the A&M shirt when I'm loving off around the house, and the free bar shirt for an undershirt.

I'm not living up to the vollie standard :(

And as for the ventilation thing... All I'm gonna say is "Yep."

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I have my department shirt, my old academy shirt, and an MDA Jerry's Kids shirt for our yearly fund raiser.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

senor punk posted:

Really? I mean there's always cliques, but it still feels not as bad as my old volley days.

edit: Happy to report that progress is coming along... slowly with the FDNY exam. Exam dates are set and I'll be taking it in about a month and a half.

Been popping into this thread every now and then to see if anybody else was going for FDNY. I've been hearing fourteenth-hand watercooler chat that they're looking to pick up a lot of people this time around. Anyone else been hearing that? Because I did pretty well on the PANY/NJ PD test a couple years ago, but so did the twelve thousand other people going for 500 spots.

As for shirts, I have a closet full of uniforms and dept t-shirts. They just keep throwing them at us, every trip to the district office is like Christmas.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

ReebTop posted:

Been popping into this thread every now and then to see if anybody else was going for FDNY. I've been hearing fourteenth-hand watercooler chat that they're looking to pick up a lot of people this time around. Anyone else been hearing that? Because I did pretty well on the PANY/NJ PD test a couple years ago, but so did the twelve thousand other people going for 500 spots.

As for shirts, I have a closet full of uniforms and dept t-shirts. They just keep throwing them at us, every trip to the district office is like Christmas.

edit: Out of paranoia (and fear of being wrong) I'm going to be a bit more vague. I've heard they want to have the first class in before the end of the year, and they plan on having multiple classes back to back in order to get the head count back up to normal. A friend and I have also theorized once they get to that point and the massive overtime that senior FFs are getting dries up, the attrition rate will increase again like it did after 9/11, and they will likely have to continue to hire at a faster rate. You still need to get at least above a 95, and it would really help if you can claim city residency.

senor punk fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 3, 2012

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Small town fire department volunteer recruit checking in. I've passed all the EMT exams that we're required to take, and am waiting for the Department of Health to get around to sending me my license to practice. Other than that, I'm currently in our department's pre-academy phase of training (3.5-4 hours once a week to get accustomed to our equipment and standards and all). I start weekend fire academy on April 20th. It's every weekend from Friday at 6 pm to Sunday at 6 pm. Our department requires all members to have EMT and FF1 certifications, since we have about 25 full time members and about 40 volunteer members and a population of 25k in a relatively rural setting.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Well, I just became a volunteer firefighter tonight. Going to the smokehouse on Saturday but I don't know how much I can do there because I haven't had my 2 day course yet.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

My Spirit Otter posted:

Well, I just became a volunteer firefighter tonight. Going to the smokehouse on Saturday but I don't know how much I can do there because I haven't had my 2 day course yet.

In my own experience, as long as it's not a live-fire exercise, you'll probably get to play. Otherwise, attach yourself to someone knowledgeable and pick their brain.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Cage Kicker posted:

In my own experience, as long as it's not a live-fire exercise, you'll probably get to play. Otherwise, attach yourself to someone knowledgeable and pick their brain.

They said I would be doing some of the stuff, I don't know what limitations. Time to wait and see I guess. I am pretty excited about this, all of the other place's I lived in have had waiting lists to get onto the VFD.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

My Spirit Otter posted:

They said I would be doing some of the stuff, I don't know what limitations. Time to wait and see I guess. I am pretty excited about this, all of the other place's I lived in have had waiting lists to get onto the VFD.

It rules! Have you been through SCBA orientation?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Cage Kicker posted:

It rules! Have you been through SCBA orientation?

No, I haven't had any training at all. This is a small town fire department(600 people including the outlying population) and the next 2 day course which allows you to go out and fight fires isn't until mid-May. So they are taking me out on the training days to give me experience, I guess. Our station only has 6 SCBA's total, so I probably wont be using it for quite some time.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

My Spirit Otter posted:

No, I haven't had any training at all. This is a small town fire department(600 people including the outlying population) and the next 2 day course which allows you to go out and fight fires isn't until mid-May. So they are taking me out on the training days to give me experience, I guess. Our station only has 6 SCBA's total, so I probably wont be using it for quite some time.

6 SCBA for how many guys, out of curiosity?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Cage Kicker posted:

6 SCBA for how many guys, out of curiosity?

There are 22 people, including myself. I'm also the youngest at 22.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

Our station only has 6 SCBA's total

Well, at least SCBA inspection won't take too long.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

There are 22 people, including myself. I'm also the youngest at 22.

Some one needs to fill out some grants. SCBA and PPE are some of the easiest things to get grant money for.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

Crazy Dutchman posted:

Some one needs to fill out some grants. SCBA and PPE are some of the easiest things to get grant money for.

What do you need more SCBA's for if they only have 1 truck? They're working with a ratio that's comparable to most full-time departments. I'd go heavy on the PPE as you'll likely get more use out of that. I'd kill for a second set.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

smooth.operator posted:

What do you need more SCBA's for if they only have 1 truck? They're working with a ratio that's comparable to most full-time departments. I'd go heavy on the PPE as you'll likely get more use out of that. I'd kill for a second set.

I guess that depends on how many people they have show up for fires. If they usually have more than 6, it might be nice to have enough for everyone to get one. If they are a really small, poor dept, they are probably ancient SCBAs and the new ones are much nicer. Even one generation older than new are better than the old SCOTT low pressure SCBA by a large margin.
My experience working with small rural depts is that SCBA & PPE are usually the in the worst condition relative to anything else, and those are pretty easy to get grant money for.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Crazy Dutchman posted:

I guess that depends on how many people they have show up for fires. If they usually have more than 6, it might be nice to have enough for everyone to get one. If they are a really small, poor dept, they are probably ancient SCBAs and the new ones are much nicer. Even one generation older than new are better than the old SCOTT low pressure SCBA by a large margin.
My experience working with small rural depts is that SCBA & PPE are usually the in the worst condition relative to anything else, and those are pretty easy to get grant money for.
This department has 2 new scba's and 2 more on the way. The ppe gets replaced every 2-3 years they said. Just got brand new ones last summer apparently

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

This department has 2 new scba's and 2 more on the way. The ppe gets replaced every 2-3 years they said. Just got brand new ones last summer apparently

Well, thats better than a lot of small departments. When I was a volunteer (before I went paid), I was lucky to get on a dept that received money based on property taxes, so we had lots of good stuff and training. Most of the other FDs in the county were not so lucky, and got about $20k per year from the county and the rest they had to raise themselves. They loved us because we practically gave away 'old' stuff that was decades newer than the stuff they were running. Honestly, I wouldn't have been willing to use some of the stuff they used for PPE.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

We're a pretty small department, no tax money, etc etc, except we have two guys that are on the loving ball for grant money. New bunker gear + SCBA's rolling in constantly. I've got a new set of fancy schmancy european bunker gear coming in soon, im so pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

invision posted:

We're a pretty small department, no tax money, etc etc, except we have two guys that are on the loving ball for grant money. New bunker gear + SCBA's rolling in constantly. I've got a new set of fancy schmancy european bunker gear coming in soon, im so pumped.

It will come with designer flash hoods and a man purse. I am jealous.

• Locked thread