Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Youth with a Skull posted:

Ran into the same issue... MSE removes a trojan, resulting in the Launcher being totally broken. Help?
It appears to be a false positive from bad programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Install Gentoo posted:

What's the best Wolfenstein 3D source port/engine for modern Windows these days? I used to use NewWolf, but it hasn't updated in 6 years and was still buggy the last time I used it back at that time.

Wolf4SDL is pretty great. Nothing fancy added, just a few nice extra features like definable controls, multiple sound channels, and the ability to use any resolution. (Note: 16:9 can be set from the command line and the actual gameplay will display properly, but other assets aren't guaranteed to display properly.)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Thanks for the heads-up on DTWID folks. I've always preferred "Doom-ish" third-party maps rather than crazier experimental stuff, and DTWID is quality, solidly enjoyable stuff (at least up through the middle of episode 2 so far). I really dig the way the levels open up new pathways as you explore them. And the monster placement keeps me on my toes without being cheap. Maybe a little on the easy side on UV (unless you pistol-start each map) but eh, that's fine really. Basically, fun times. :)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Johnny Law posted:

Thanks for the heads-up on DTWID folks. I've always preferred "Doom-ish" third-party maps rather than crazier experimental stuff, and DTWID is quality, solidly enjoyable stuff (at least up through the middle of episode 2 so far). I really dig the way the levels open up new pathways as you explore them. And the monster placement keeps me on my toes without being cheap. Maybe a little on the easy side on UV (unless you pistol-start each map) but eh, that's fine really. Basically, fun times. :)

Pistol start? :raise:

Get thee to Brutal Doom!

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

The Kins posted:

It appears to be a false positive from bad programming.
Specifically, it's Microsoft deciding it doesn't like certain plug-ins I've used for Multimedia Builder (you can stop laughing now, I know). It's probably happened due to how they copy themselves out of the executable into temp folders on each runtime, but I needed them to be able to do things MMB originally doesn't support. Ugh. :(

I've tried to reach the maker of the plugins to see if there's a way to "clean them up" or talk to MS about it but no dice - and finding posts by the guy how he wants to sell the plugins ins't giving me any hope. :(

Sorry guys, not much I can do at this point. And the overhaul (aka not written in slow, awkward poo poo) is coming along slowly.

edit: The Kins, could you edit in a warning or, for the time being, remove the link? It kind of sucks when someone downloads it, it's hard to install AND your AV goes apeshit over it. I'd rather fix it up first.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 14, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tecman posted:

edit: The Kins, could you edit in a warning or, for the time being, remove the link? It kind of sucks when someone downloads it, it's hard to install AND your AV goes apeshit over it. I'd rather fix it up first.
Sure thing, I've added a warning to the link.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rather Dashing posted:

Out of interest does anyone know why the SVN builds of GZDoom haven't been updated since the end of December? It used to be the norm for at least one new version a day so such a long time to pass is very strange.
This is late, but it's still relevant and I have an answer now: The developers are waiting on a few more changes to ZDoom before they merge that codebase in for an update. I don't know why, but there you go. No drama or anything (for once!)

The gents at GOG have posted a list of recommendations for Thief 1 and 2 mods and maps. Worth a look!

Skulltag is now open-source if you want to see how not to implement netcode.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Kins posted:

The gents at GOG have posted a list of recommendations for Thief 1 and 2 mods and maps. Worth a look!

I hope everyone here that enjoyed Thief 2 plays Thief 2X, the 'unnofficial expansion'. It's utterly fantastic and on many ways on par with Thief 2 itself, one of the coolest things being entirely new voiced dialogue for everyone, to include wandering guards. Everything about it oozes quality, with the exception of a notably poor first level and somewhat bad voice acting (though the lines themselves are fine).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

Skulltag is now open-source if you want to see how not to implement netcode.

Holy poo poo I can't believe it finally happened. Maybe now people will implement features that gzDoom had 6 years ago.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I've kinda got a bug up my rear end about the design flaws in modern FPS games too, and I'd like to help fix it. The problem is, I have neither programming knowledge nor art knowledge.

How much of a laughingstock would I be if I dropped $30 on FPS Creator and a few model packs, slapped together a little 10-level or so tribute to this era of gaming with the stuff it comes with, and released it? It'd be ugly as sin, since I've played with the demo a little and jesus gently caress this thing looks worse than Quake 2 in practice, and it'd really obviously stink of game-maker software, but if I managed to make something fun to play would that override that?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Consider having a poke at Weland first. At the very least, you won't be paying money for scanny jank.

Aorta and ShapeFusion too, if you decide to get ritzy.

Ijuuin Enzan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 20, 2012

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just learn how to use Half Life 2 or even Half Life 1, it'll probably be easier and more people would actually want to play it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Alternately, just make a Doom map

You'll either get bored and quit without wasting any money, or you'll make a Doom map!

(subtext here: start small, urges tend to fizzle out, if its the real deal, you'll keep going)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah you're better off making a map for Half-Life 2. Compared to other modern FPSes, Hammer is pretty intuitive and you can make something decent fairly easily.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's a shame there are no good single player first person shooters that used the Unreal engine as I think that's probably the easiest of the modern editors to pick up and get into. It's just not the same making multiplayer only maps.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah you're better off making a map for Half-Life 2. Compared to other modern FPSes, Hammer is pretty intuitive and you can make something decent fairly easily.

Uh, have you used other modern FPS editors? Hammer is a loving nightmare straight out of 1996. It's probably the least intuitive modern map editor there is.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Agreeing with that. I never had the patience the wrap my head around it.

Come to think of it though, if you want to learn a really easy editor and make some single player content that's actually pretty fun, the Doom 3 editor is incredibly easy to get into and start building maps. Sure you'll be making content for Doom 3 for better or worse but at least it's something. And aren't they releasing the source code for that real soon?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Agreeing with that. I never had the patience the wrap my head around it.

Come to think of it though, if you want to learn a really easy editor and make some single player content that's actually pretty fun, the Doom 3 editor is incredibly easy to get into and start building maps. Sure you'll be making content for Doom 3 for better or worse but at least it's something. And aren't they releasing the source code for that real soon?

I believe it is finally released, at long last. Carmack provides.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

WickedIcon posted:

How much of a laughingstock would I be if I dropped $30 on FPS Creator and a few model packs, slapped together a little 10-level or so tribute to this era of gaming with the stuff it comes with, and released it? It'd be ugly as sin, since I've played with the demo a little and jesus gently caress this thing looks worse than Quake 2 in practice, and it'd really obviously stink of game-maker software, but if I managed to make something fun to play would that override that?

Having hosed around with the FPS Creator for several years on and off, I can say it's not worth it. I made 3 small-ish games with it, and from my experiences, it's only good for really low-key horror/adventure games. It's janky as hell and no matter what you do, the shooting will not be fun. It won't feel like Doom or Quake, it'll feel like that Valusoft made Lithtech shovelware WW2 game polluting the dollar bin - in 1999. Also, it has serious lag issues and the scripting engine for AI is so broken and inefficient that anything more complex than "stand around and shoot" will drop your frame rate to single digits even on a system that runs Crysis flawlessly.

Also, prepare for other assorted horrors, such as memory leaks, broken collision detection, endless crashes and frustration. Yes, I am bitter.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

And aren't they releasing the source code for that real soon?
It was released back in November.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

tooooooo bad posted:

Uh, have you used other modern FPS editors? Hammer is a loving nightmare straight out of 1996. It's probably the least intuitive modern map editor there is.

Not a lot of them, no, so I'll give you that one. I never had much trouble with Hammer though, but then, I didn't make a whole lot of stuff with it. But I'm a loser stuck in 1996, since I make Marathon maps, so what do I know.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

A couple years ago I tried using hammer for TF2 maps but I didn't get the editor. Back in Q3's heyday I used q3radiant a lot of was getting proficient in it. I didn't make anything that played well though. Doom3's built in editor is pretty much radiant except you need to read up on scripting to have things move such as machinery. I think my first experience was trying to make a map for Q2 and trying to use worldcraft.

Fishbus used to have tutorials for TF2 stuff, but I don't know if they were saved or streamed only.

Edit: Looking at level editors for Doom, Doombuilder looks pretty straight forward and an easy interface. Plus you don't have to worry too much about beveled surfaces or rooms on top of other rooms.

Edit 2: I used to really like this tutorial site called "The Gothic Revival" that was hosted on planetquake. The only way I can find it is using web.archive.org. This is for Q3 level editing.
http://web.archive.org/web/20041213042145/http://www.planetquake.com/gothic/

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 20, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

Alternately, just make a Doom map

You'll either get bored and quit without wasting any money, or you'll make a Doom map!

(subtext here: start small, urges tend to fizzle out, if its the real deal, you'll keep going)

Seconding this. Get some mapping in you. More complex engines (Doom -> Marathon -> Duke3d -> Descent -> Quake -> Half-Life -> etc) will let you do more stuff but also require you learn more to make a functioning map, in general. As an added bonus, releasing for pretty much any of these engines all but guarantees everyone will be able to play it without trouble on anything.

If/when you want to do more than you can accomplish with just maps, you can pick an engine that supports scripting of some sort (Marathon supports Lua these days, for example) and learn the scripting environment to implement your own weapons/enemies/whatever, or you can go right into the deep end, learn C or C++, and try either directly hacking on one of the open source engines such as Quake or writing a mod for something like Half-Life. (If you have no prior programming experience, though, the C family of languages is a pretty rough introduction.)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

(Marathon supports Lua these days, for example)

Marathon supports a very limited amount of Lua, because it still operates within the limitations of an engine that absolutely was not designed to support it or anything like it.

It's very good at somewhat adjusting things that the game can already do. Bottomless pits of death are easily programmable. The capture the flag script for multiplayer, after years of kludging, is somewhat functional. The Juggernauts-as-operable-vehicles script was hacky from the get-go.

Basically, if you want a game where you can script in special events, don't go with Marathon.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Marathon supports a very limited amount of Lua, because it still operates within the limitations of an engine that absolutely was not designed to support it or anything like it.

It's very good at somewhat adjusting things that the game can already do. Bottomless pits of death are easily programmable. The capture the flag script for multiplayer, after years of kludging, is somewhat functional. The Juggernauts-as-operable-vehicles script was hacky from the get-go.

Basically, if you want a game where you can script in special events, don't go with Marathon.

I stand corrected! I haven't actually done any Marathon development, I just remembered reading a "we have lua scripting support now, yay" announcement on A1 some time ago.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So that Half-Life mod, Cry of Fear, is supposed to come out today. Some people who donated have a multiplayer stream going right now if your interested in it. http://www.twitch.tv/snbplay

If you do watch the stream, be prepared for people who are really bad at this game dying constantly.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 22, 2012

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Any reason why Aleph One barely runs at 30 FPS? My computer can play the newest games at 60 FPS, so I'm not sure what's going on.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

WickedIcon posted:

So I've kinda got a bug up my rear end about the design flaws in modern FPS games too, and I'd like to help fix it. The problem is, I have neither programming knowledge nor art knowledge.

If your design flaws are level related, then pick your favorite FPS engine and learn to use the map editor. Anything more complex and you will have to learn how to program. FPSes especially depend a lot on fundamental poo poo like how the physics and shooting feels, and you won't get good fundamentals on cheap $30 game maker software.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mill Village posted:

Any reason why Aleph One barely runs at 30 FPS? My computer can play the newest games at 60 FPS, so I'm not sure what's going on.

If you go into Preferences -> Graphics, and your rendering mode is OpenGL (Shader), certain rendering options cause a massive amount of slowdown. My computer is the same; turning off bloom did the job for me.

Other than fiddling with rendering options there shouldn't be any issues if you're on a modern computer. I mean some user-made maps that are horribly overcomplicated might be at the root of the issue, but you basically have to go out of your way to find those so I'd attack the rendering options first.

Oh and if you still have trouble, change your renderer to OpenGL (Classic). It gets rid of the "true 3d" effect that Shader adds because the original renderer didn't have that z-axis vanishing point, so it's more authentic to the original game, but it should be significantly easier to run. I mean I've had old Mac computers that can handle OpenGL Classic just fine. Just don't run it in Software, that makes it look like poo poo.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 22, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Would anyone here be interested in me making a post about Daikatana's development history that's based on old development material (like betas)? It has a pretty interesting and somewhat tragic history, if things like the design docs are anything to go by.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
The weird things you can see on TCRF from the betas are really interesting; I'd love to read a full post on it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cobweb Heart posted:

The weird things you can see on TCRF from the betas are really interesting; I'd love to read a full post on it.

That reminds me; an old test level in an archive will let you bring up every model in the old Pre-Alpha. I should take screenshots of those models sometime, because there's some weird stuff in there, like a topless Harpy that doesn't look like a monster (:q:), early power up models, and models for Episode 4's gangsters that look kinda like the ones in the final game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

closeted republican posted:

Would anyone here be interested in me making a post about Daikatana's development history that's based on old development material (like betas)? It has a pretty interesting and somewhat tragic history, if things like the design docs are anything to go by.
Yes please! I know a good chunk of it, but it's nice to examine.

Speaking of, there's a pre-alpha of Daikatana from early 1997 that Romero put online years ago. You can check it out here or read a big documentation/dissection of it by The Cutting Room Floor here. There's some weird stuff in there, like The Infamous Arrow Texture...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Yes please! I know a good chunk of it, but it's nice to examine.

Speaking of, there's a pre-alpha of Daikatana from early 1997 that Romero put online years ago. You can check it out here or read a big documentation/dissection of it by The Cutting Room Floor here. There's some weird stuff in there, like The Infamous Arrow Texture...

John Romero decided to make a first-person shooter despite apparently not knowing even the most basic rules about holding a gun...

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
There's a really old, really long article on gamespot about Daikatana/Ion Storm that is pretty good:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070321014408/http://www.gamespot.com/features/btg-daikatana/index.html

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

John Romero decided to make a first-person shooter despite apparently not knowing even the most basic rules about holding a gun...
There's whole bits in the readme included with the pre-alpha of Romero making GBS threads on the graphics and his own management ability.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The Kins posted:

There's whole bits in the readme included with the pre-alpha of Romero making GBS threads on the graphics and his own management ability.

Why did he ever have to go on his own and make Daikatana...imagine how amazing Quake 2 would have been with him still on board with iD and on a leash?

Then again, it wouldn't be a SCI-FI shooter I guess.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Or which side of your typical torso the left arm is supposed to be attached to.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I think it's supposed to be a throwback to the Doom pistol, which was a right hand gun held by the left hand. When it's fired, it goes to the center of the screen, like where the Doom pistol is on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Mill Village posted:

I was under the impression that Aleph One runs at exactly 30 FPS. The game state and animations are at 30Hz (from the original Marathon design), and although it would be nice to allow player view to change at a higher framerate I don't believe that the Aleph One hackers have ever tackled that.