Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Jenner posted:

Pit Bulls :can:
No really, get a Pit Mutt, they're the sweetest most lovable and chill as gently caress ever as long as the mutt breed isn't anything too spastic.

Another chill as gently caress breed is a Weimaraner, a friend of mine had one and that dog would not bark at poo poo. She had a nine year old kid that just harassed this dog to no end and it just laid there and gave no fucks.
Is this a joke? Weimaraners are some of the most high energy dogs out there. They're a hunting breed. They are not a dog you put under the "chill as gently caress" category at all.

Pit mutts are always great dogs, but you have to be mindful of dog aggression. This means no dog parks and no leaving them alone with another dog without supervision at any point.

Also if you're interested in Greyhounds Aquatic Giraffe, (I'm assuming you have cats or another small pet that you have concerns over) most greyhound rescue programs have a good idea of whether their dogs are good with cats or not. Off leash time in an unfenced idea is generally discouraged with sighthounds though, since they tend to have lousy recall once they see something they want to chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

Is this a joke? Weimaraners are some of the most high energy dogs out there. They're a hunting breed. They are not a dog you put under the "chill as gently caress" category at all.

Pit mutts are always great dogs, but you have to be mindful of dog aggression. This means no dog parks and no leaving them alone with another dog without supervision at any point.

Also if you're interested in Greyhounds Aquatic Giraffe, (I'm assuming you have cats or another small pet that you have concerns over) most greyhound rescue programs have a good idea of whether their dogs are good with cats or not. Off leash time in an unfenced idea is generally discouraged with sighthounds though, since they tend to have lousy recall once they see something they want to chase.

Weimaraners creep me out. I think it was those commercials with them dressed up like people that did it.

Also I have heard greyhounds tend to be p.chill dogs. Might want to look into adopting a retired racing greyhound?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Jenner posted:

Pit Bulls :can:
No really, get a Pit Mutt, they're the sweetest most lovable and chill as gently caress ever as long as the mutt breed isn't anything too spastic.

If you do this, get one that's over about 5 years old and has been tested with everything under the sun and proven to be useless and boring. Also prepare for your apartment complex to poo poo an entire brick. Then don't let it around other dogs. And pray it happens to not be as high energy as it should be. You know what, no, don't go get a pit/anything as your first dog ever and stick it in an apartment. Just no. :psyduck:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

After asking my parents for a dog since I was 6 and not getting one, I'm finally in a position as a real-life self-sustaining adult to get myself a dawg this summer :dance:

I'm planning on getting a shelter dog or looking for a rescue. I don't want to shell out money for a puppy from a breeder and deal with puppy bullshit for my first dog (hence why this isn't puppy-thread material, and also money otherwise spent on a puppy can go to buying all the toys for my rescue dawg). I am also going to be living in an apartment for the foreseeable future, and I own a chinchilla. Since the chinchilla was here first, it's not fair to make him uncomfortable living with something that wants to eat him. The dog would be crated during the day, or the chinchilla closed off in his own room when I'm not home.

I wanted a corgi or a greyhound, but neither seem like they'd be a good fit (corgis bark at everything and my neighbors would hate me; greyhounds have a high prey drive from what I've read).

So basically what I'm asking is are there any sort of breeds that work well in apartments and don't have a high prey drive? Any ones I should avoid in particular?

Your average shelter mutt would probably be a good fit, especially if it's been fostered/cat-tested to give an idea about its prey drive.

How much exercise are you looking to give the dog? Corgis and greyhounds are pretty much opposite of the spectrum in terms of energy needs.

If you're in an apartment, unless you're willing to dedicate all of your time to the dog, I'd stay away from typical high energy breeds (terriers, herders, etc).

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

quote:

So basically what I'm asking is are there any sort of breeds that work well in apartments and don't have a high prey drive? Any ones I should avoid in particular?

Your local greyhound rescue can work with you to find you a grey that doesn't have a high prey drive...not all greyhounds do. I love the breed, and always head to my local Petsmart when they have an Greyhound adoption event so that I can hang out with the dogs and chat with the foster people and owners. At some point I want to own one myself, and as I have two under 4 lb chihuahuas, the whole prey drive thing was an issue for me. But I was assured that the drive is dog-specific...some never lose the high drive, and some, once they're off the track, don't give a poo poo.

So don't exclude greyhounds. They are also lazy, chill, and don't have the high energy that a terrier does.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I had heard greyhounds are pretty chill, but in my research I read that they aren't too good with smaller critters in the house because of their high prey drive (I have a chinchilla so this concerns me). I'd like one because I have an off-the-track thoroughbred horse so I have a soft spot for ex racing beasts. I'm definitely going with an older chilled-out dog.

I don't want a total couch potato but I also don't have several hours a day to dedicate to exercise since I'll be working full-time.

I'm not opposed to pit bulls, but a lot of apartment complexes consider them :byodame: OMG BABY EATERS :byodame: and it might make my life rough in the event that I have to move.

Shelter mutt is my #1 choice, I'm just doing some research to make sure I don't get a mix of breeds that would destroy my house and other pet.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I have a lab/American bulldog mix from a shelter and he is a seriously chilled dog, doesn't mess with other animals (especially not caged pets) and even though he's really chill in the house, he likes going for long walks. He's got some nervousness issues, but he's an older dog (older than 3 or 4 I mean) and had been at the shelter for a while, was already fixed and stuff too.

Best bet would probably just be to wander around shelters and interact with the dogs, just see which fits what you want best. :3:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I had heard greyhounds are pretty chill, but in my research I read that they aren't too good with smaller critters in the house because of their high prey drive (I have a chinchilla so this concerns me). I'd like one because I have an off-the-track thoroughbred horse so I have a soft spot for ex racing beasts. I'm definitely going with an older chilled-out dog.

I don't want a total couch potato but I also don't have several hours a day to dedicate to exercise since I'll be working full-time.

I'm not opposed to pit bulls, but a lot of apartment complexes consider them :byodame: OMG BABY EATERS :byodame: and it might make my life rough in the event that I have to move.

Shelter mutt is my #1 choice, I'm just doing some research to make sure I don't get a mix of breeds that would destroy my house and other pet.

Most generic toy mixes should be fine for you, if you're okay with having a small dog. You're going to want to avoid anything with too much terrier because of yappiness and prey drive, though. When I think apartment+no prey drive, I think shih tzu and dogs like that. If you want something a little more interesting, you could look at toy/miniature poodle/crosses. And yeah, whoever said to get a Weimeraner is out of her mind.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
If you're crating during the day and the chinchilla is never left unsupervised around the greyhound, there's not a lot to worry about, IMO.

I've fostered terriers with intense prey drive towards rats, and I have pet rats. It was never an issue because they never saw each other unless I was in the room, and the dog was either occupied with something else, or tethered.

A toy breed would also work well, a
don't discount them because some are dickishly yappy! Chihuahuas in particular are hugely variable in size and temperament these days due to overbreeding, so you have your choice of the spectrum, from tiny, barky and shivering, to sturdy, rambunctious and friendly. Check out the small dog thread if you're interested.

A Pom would also work, as long as you're adequately prepared for grooming and alarm barking, because a Pom gives no fucks about anything that is not their person.

ETA: Weimaraner/ pits are definitely not low energy what the gently caress

uptown
May 16, 2009
AUGH. I hate my neighbours. Remember how I posted about their cat going from nice to mean? Well, last time I checked on him (opened my door when he was crying like he was in horrible pain), he just attacked me and went away. Whatever, he wants to be aggressive, he doesn't get petted - Not that it's his fault that he's aggressive, I'm sure it's a question of bad owners. The lovely neighbours now have a Rottweiler puppy that escaped from their yard this morning. We live so close to a busy street... Gah. gently caress them. If you're not responsible enough to take proper care of a cat, do you really think a puppy is a good idea?
They used to have a dog when I first moved in a few months ago. He got out of their yard constantly and then one day disappeared, whether he was given away or got hit by a car I don't know. But, I know that this time, the second that dog is off their property and I see it, I'm doing something about it. Not sure what, because I don't want to call animal control, but... something.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My carpet just got shampooed. My cats are walking on it. And now they're licking their paws. Should I be worried?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

uptown posted:

AUGH. I hate my neighbours. Remember how I posted about their cat going from nice to mean? Well, last time I checked on him (opened my door when he was crying like he was in horrible pain), he just attacked me and went away. Whatever, he wants to be aggressive, he doesn't get petted - Not that it's his fault that he's aggressive, I'm sure it's a question of bad owners. The lovely neighbours now have a Rottweiler puppy that escaped from their yard this morning. We live so close to a busy street... Gah. gently caress them. If you're not responsible enough to take proper care of a cat, do you really think a puppy is a good idea?
They used to have a dog when I first moved in a few months ago. He got out of their yard constantly and then one day disappeared, whether he was given away or got hit by a car I don't know. But, I know that this time, the second that dog is off their property and I see it, I'm doing something about it. Not sure what, because I don't want to call animal control, but... something.

Frankly, calling AC is exactly what you should be doing.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I heard the neighbour's dog crying the other day while they weren't home, and went over to pat it a bit. I hadn't seen it up close before, but I saw that it had black tumors hanging off it, I counted like eight and I'm sure there were more but it wouldn't get up to let me check. The tumors were just sorta wobbly lumps, like really big moles, and my (limited) knowledge of tumors is that if they're like that, they aren't malignant. But I've never seen that many on an animal before, kinda shocked me.

I don't know the neighbours well enough to know if they're concerned about their dog, or if they'd check up on that kind of thing. Sometimes they seem like responsible caring people and other times seem trashy as gently caress. I haven't seen them in weeks (high fence, mutual erratic hours) so I haven't spoken about it.

I'm probably worrying too much, but ew, tumors. Was wondering if anyone knows much about pet tumours and can confirm/deny that they might be harmless.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
What kind of dog is it? Some breeds (labs are one, I think) are just prone to getting them. Obviously I can't say for certain one way or another, but tumors doesn't necessarily mean the dog isn't being cared for.

uptown
May 16, 2009

Invalid Octopus posted:

Frankly, calling AC is exactly what you should be doing.

I know, you're right :(

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but we'll see.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

uptown posted:

I know, you're right :(

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but we'll see.

I mean, seriously, what else could you do? If they're the kind of people who just let their dogs run out, I doubt they'd listen to you if you asked them to please keep their dog attended to. And you can't just...take it. Animal control isn't going to shoot it on site or anything, and they'll fine the owners.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Not trolling, just have limited experience. The SINGLE weimaraner I encountered must have been either a rare case, or an old dog then. It was a pure bred weimaraner (or so I was told) and was just chill. I didn't realize that wasn't how they are normally.

As far as pit mixes? Yes, apartment complexes flip the gently caress out at 'pit' anything. I've heard stories here about Goons helping other goons lie to get their pits settled because of all the negative press. If people hear pit, they immediately assume your dog is aggressive and any curiosity on his/her part is seen as OMG AGGRESSION.

Still, my first dog was a pit/choc lab and she was a sweetheart, again, I am a cat person with limited experience with dogs.

I do know from friends that Big Black Dogs have a Death Sentence, so yeah.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Invalid Octopus posted:

What kind of dog is it? Some breeds (labs are one, I think) are just prone to getting them. Obviously I can't say for certain one way or another, but tumors doesn't necessarily mean the dog isn't being cared for.

Some kind of mongrel breed, definitely some red cattle dog in there, dunno what the rest is... staffordshire terrier maybe? It's a very sweet dog.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
My approach would be to stick a note in their letterbox asking if they are doing any treatment om the animal and whether they would like you to keep an eye on the dog. This way it comes across as neighbourly and if they are good people, they'll say whether they've taken it to the vet, whether they're benign etc. If they go nuts at you and tell you it's none of your business, then I would call AC.

ETA Our last foster dog had many tumours, most of which were benign so were left on the dog. Some got in his way so they were removed. They may be saving up the money or just decided that it's not worth putting the dog through the surgery if it's quite old.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Jenner posted:

As for as pit mixes? Yes, apartment complexes flip the gently caress out at 'pit' anything. I've heard stories here about Goons helping other goons lie to get their pits settled because of all the negative press. If people hear pit, they immediately assume your dog is aggressive and any curiosity on his/her part is seen as OMG AGGRESSION.

Still, my first dog was a pit/choc lab and she was a sweetheart, again, I am a cat person with limited experience with dogs.

Don't tell a person who has never owned a dog and rents to go get a pit/mix basically, they're not My First Dog material even if some people do it

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

My approach would be to stick a note in their letterbox asking if they are doing any treatment om the animal and whether they would like you to keep an eye on the dog. This way it comes across as neighbourly and if they are good people, they'll say whether they've taken it to the vet, whether they're benign etc. If they go nuts at you and tell you it's none of your business, then I would call AC.

ETA Our last foster dog had many tumours, most of which were benign so were left on the dog. Some got in his way so they were removed. They may be saving up the money or just decided that it's not worth putting the dog through the surgery if it's quite old.

The note is the best idea, I think. I do want to mention that the wobbly lump = benign thing is not necessarily true - our Ben was diagnosed with squamous-cell carcinoma last year. He's nearly 12 so we decided to just keep an eye on his quality of life. At the moment, he's doing much better than predicted and his arthritis is having way more of an effect on him than the cancer, but he does have a few lumps which look pretty much exactly as you described.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

So my boyfriend has his heart set on getting a german shepherd, thankfully he's willing to compromise and get an older more chill one (there's a 10 year old one at the local german shepherd rescue that's even already got the name he'd picked out for his future dog, it was practically love at first internet sight). I've tried to talk him into looking at other dogs, but he's being pretty stubborn.

German shepherd + apartment + full time work = bad idea? Even if it's an older one?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

German shepherd + apartment + full time work = bad idea? Even if it's an older one?

I have two 1.5 year old GSDs. We have a 3-bedroom unit of a 4plex and no yard. Its doable :) Mine get at least 3 half-hour walks a day on a busy day when we have "no time for the dogs". On a normal day, its closer to 2.5 hours of walking total.

But an old dog shouldn't need that much walking! Post pics, I love old dogs :3:

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
Our old dog passed away last year and we are now ready to get a new one. I'd like a dog who could be a running companion - can anyone point me to some good resources on running with dogs?

I want to know how to pick a dog that can run at least 6 miles with me (we plan to get a mixed breed from a shelter/rescue agency), when is a dog old enough/mature enough to go running, what kind of leash to use, how to tell if it's dehydrated, how about coats for cold weather, booties for hard surfaces, etc..

I also posted this in the running thread.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Corridor posted:

I heard the neighbour's dog crying the other day while they weren't home, and went over to pat it a bit. I hadn't seen it up close before, but I saw that it had black tumors hanging off it, I counted like eight and I'm sure there were more but it wouldn't get up to let me check. The tumors were just sorta wobbly lumps, like really big moles, and my (limited) knowledge of tumors is that if they're like that, they aren't malignant. But I've never seen that many on an animal before, kinda shocked me.

I don't know the neighbours well enough to know if they're concerned about their dog, or if they'd check up on that kind of thing. Sometimes they seem like responsible caring people and other times seem trashy as gently caress. I haven't seen them in weeks (high fence, mutual erratic hours) so I haven't spoken about it.

I'm probably worrying too much, but ew, tumors. Was wondering if anyone knows much about pet tumours and can confirm/deny that they might be harmless.

As was said before, there are dogs that can get tons of benign lumps - usually lipomas - everywhere. I always cringe when 'body mapping' gets in the plan list. It means a dog turns into a pin cushion and I get to stare at 20+ slides for an hour, all the while worrying if the sample technique was bad/wrong location (OMG where's the cancer?!?!?!?), or if it really is all just fat on the slide (lipoma yay!).

That being said, there are not uncommon instances where a visibly benign and soft/squishy benign-like mass ends up being something bad. Mast cell tumors are known for that - I've seen a few pop up essentially inside a lipoma - soft tissue sarcomas can be squishy as well. Heck, lipomas can occasionally become malignant themselves, but that's pretty rare.

The black coloring to them sounded... odd...

Even so, if these 'benign' lumps are swaying around, hitting things, dragging on the ground, or otherwise being traumatized/hurting the dog, they are more likely in the 'remove now' category even though they are technically 'benign.'

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

adventure in the sandbox posted:

But an old dog shouldn't need that much walking! Post pics, I love old dogs :3:

The one he likes is Kaiser, about halfway down the page http://shepherdrescue.net/cgi-bin/dogs.asp?Type=1&page=2

I just got a job offer today so the one major barrier between me and a dawg is now gone, I just have to wait to get a new apartment!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Invader Zym posted:

Our old dog passed away last year and we are now ready to get a new one. I'd like a dog who could be a running companion - can anyone point me to some good resources on running with dogs?

I want to know how to pick a dog that can run at least 6 miles with me (we plan to get a mixed breed from a shelter/rescue agency), when is a dog old enough/mature enough to go running, what kind of leash to use, how to tell if it's dehydrated, how about coats for cold weather, booties for hard surfaces, etc..

I also posted this in the running thread.

Age-wise, you're going to want a dog at least a year old. It's not a good idea to run a puppy a lot (especially on harder surfaces) because it stresses their joints. As for what kind of leash, I'd avoid flexileashes and retractables.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

The black coloring to them sounded... odd...

Even so, if these 'benign' lumps are swaying around, hitting things, dragging on the ground, or otherwise being traumatized/hurting the dog, they are more likely in the 'remove now' category even though they are technically 'benign.'

I dunno about black exactly, just dark in colour, grey or brown or something. The dog's skin looks dark under the fur.

And oh god no, they weren't that big. Just like... marble-size, I guess. They stuck out because the dog's hair is very short. The dog seems okay. Howls a bit, but I suspect it may be deaf.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The one he likes is Kaiser, about halfway down the page http://shepherdrescue.net/cgi-bin/dogs.asp?Type=1&page=2

I just got a job offer today so the one major barrier between me and a dawg is now gone, I just have to wait to get a new apartment!

Kaiser looks very sweet. :3:

He's quite overweight though. How much thought have you given to how you're going to get that under control? Especially in an older dog, I imagine his joints are getting getting creaky with arthritis at the very least (they mention stairs being an issue) so getting his weight under control is even MORE important.

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."
My sister-in-law and her fiance are adopting a dog. Good for them, but not good for the dog. When I say they are lazy, I mean they will not clean, go outside, do anything but eat, sleep, and attempt to go to their jobs. They are both very much over-weight, and let me just reiterate how much they will NOT walk that poor dog. They live in a condo on the 2ns floor, so no yard, meaning they HAVE to walk their dog or take it to the park.... the park is next door to their home, but I can guarantee they aren't going.

Is this something I can call up animal control about? I know the dog won't be malnourished or beaten, but she will certainly not get any baths or ever go outside for more than five-minutes, if that.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

miseerin posted:

My sister-in-law and her fiance are adopting a dog. Good for them, but not good for the dog. When I say they are lazy, I mean they will not clean, go outside, do anything but eat, sleep, and attempt to go to their jobs. They are both very much over-weight, and let me just reiterate how much they will NOT walk that poor dog. They live in a condo on the 2ns floor, so no yard, meaning they HAVE to walk their dog or take it to the park.... the park is next door to their home, but I can guarantee they aren't going.

Is this something I can call up animal control about? I know the dog won't be malnourished or beaten, but she will certainly not get any baths or ever go outside for more than five-minutes, if that.

Unfortunately, being a lazy cow and not giving your dog enough attention is not illegal. :(

As long as it's fed, watered, UTD on shots, and not actively sitting in it's own filth there's probably not alot animal control can do, depending on the specifics of your local laws.

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."
Hm.... perhaps a tip to the landlord.... I wish there was something I could do... they have a cat that is happy enough... but it's a cat... not a dog that has to be let out and needs a different kind of attention. :( That dog is going to be so incredibly unhappy and unhealthy.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
If I were you, I'd just flat out ask them. 'Hey guys, I've never seen you willingly leave this apartment and you do know it's cruel not to walk a dog, right? So how's that going to work?'

That way if they get all defensive and say of course they'll walk it, you can be an obnoxious rear end in a top hat every time you come over.

Example: "Hey doggie! You're a cute doggie! Bet you'd like to go for a WALK, huh? Yeah you wanna WALK! Oh look, he got all excited, you guys should probably WALK him now, I'll wait, I don't mind." :D

I have a friend who is super defensive about her lovely pet care so I basically just cheerfully ignore her bad attitude and pretend like she's already done the walk and then pretend to be surprised when she admits she hasn't. Then she usually begrudgingly walks the dogs, both of us pretending that she does it normally, while I follow and cheerfully refuse to allow her back inside until a half hour has passed.

Harass your friends and loved ones into proper pet care!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Captain Foxy posted:

I have a friend who is super defensive about her lovely pet care so I basically just cheerfully ignore her bad attitude and pretend like she's already done the walk and then pretend to be surprised when she admits she hasn't. Then she usually begrudgingly walks the dogs, both of us pretending that she does it normally, while I follow and cheerfully refuse to allow her back inside until a half hour has passed.

See, this is why I don't have a dog. I don't want to walk it for 30 minutes or even 30 seconds, so I would never get a dog and just lie to myself about how things will be different.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Amberlyn posted:

Kaiser looks very sweet. :3:

He's quite overweight though. How much thought have you given to how you're going to get that under control? Especially in an older dog, I imagine his joints are getting getting creaky with arthritis at the very least (they mention stairs being an issue) so getting his weight under control is even MORE important.

If we got him we'd take him to a vet and go with what the vet recommends. There's a great veterinary teaching hospital here that we'd take him to.

El Jorge
Feb 26, 2006

A spiritus dominatus,
Domine, libra nos,
From the lighting and the tempest,
Our Emperor, deliver us.

A morte perpetua,
Domine, libra nos.
Hey y'all, I'm very worried about my kitty :(
She's about 8 and is a mixed breed of some flavor. Long hair with tuxedo coloration. It was a really cold winter here and her coat grew longer than I've ever seen it. It's warmed up considerably and she has been molting that excess fur off, most prominently in her ruff. Where the molts were the worst, she has patches of hair thin enough to see skin under. I asked my mom about it and she speculated that it was from the molts and I can see that but I am a very worried cat dad and booked an appointment with the vet regardless. She doesn't have FLV as of ~2 months ago, the skin I can see is healthy, her weight, appetite and activity levels are all normal to boot.
Do any you of have an idea what could be going on?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
e: ah, poo poo, didn't see you already had a vet appointment. Keep it and make sure shes okay :shobon:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 16, 2012

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Ive always used exo terra undertank heaters http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-under-tank-heaters/11442-107628/desert-heat-wave-terrarium-substrate-heater.html , but just purchased a zoomed one http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTherm%C2%AE-Under-Heater/dp/B0002AQCKA

its meant to be adhesified to the bottom of a tank which is super lame, SO. Can I not peel the paper off and use it? I've used the previous ones with no problem at all without raisers, on plastic/glass/wood/etc without problems.

Will I set my house on fire : ( Maybe I can remove the wax paper on the sticky side and stick it on some kind of safe flat material?

e: V thats the thing, i do not use a rheostat, the others dont get too hot and are perfect. ...I am wary about trying new products but I will keep an eye on it...

Malalol fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 16, 2012

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Malalol posted:

Ive always used exo terra undertank heaters http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-under-tank-heaters/11442-107628/desert-heat-wave-terrarium-substrate-heater.html , but just purchased a zoomed one http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTherm%C2%AE-Under-Heater/dp/B0002AQCKA

its meant to be adhesified to the bottom of a tank which is super lame, SO. Can I not peel the paper off and use it? I've used the previous ones with no problem at all without raisers, on plastic/glass/wood/etc without problems.

Will I set my house on fire : ( Maybe I can remove the wax paper on the sticky side and stick it on some kind of safe flat material?

As long as you are using it with some type of regulator to keep it from getting too hot, you will be fine. I always just tape them onto the bottom of the tank with packaging tape (and don't remove the paper).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
I'm fostering a a 15lb miniature poodle from a rescue and he got neutered today. The only thing is, the rescue doesn't have a lot of money and so they got him neutered at a very cheap place, and they didn't give him any pain meds. The little guy is obviously hurting and I feel awful. I have some Buprenex that was prescribed to my cat when he was attacked by a Rottweiler about two weeks ago... would that be effective on my dog? I know it's usually not a good idea to give a medicine to an animal that wasn't prescribed to it, but I hate seeing this poor dog in pain. I googled it for a couple minutes and it seems like Buprenex is normally given to cats... would it do anything for Oliver?