Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

theDoubleH posted:

OK, thanks for the tip! We'll eat it tonight.

drawn butter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chard posted:

This recipe calls for something called Hing, which wikipedia tells me is another name for asafoetida. Since I've never seen either of those in stores where I live (although I've also not looked that hard), what could work as a substitute for a chutney like this? Wikie says it is similar to leeks, I was thinking that or some onion powder (:rolleye:) might fit.

You can just throw in some scallions instead. It'll taste great.

For Broccoli person:

1 TB oil (canola, vegetable, peanut, olive) OR ¼ tsp oil/nonstick cooking spray rubbed into a nonstick pot
1 small onion, sliced thinly (white, yellow, scallions, or leeks work great)
4 boiling potatoes, diced (if using cooked, add at the end)
2 cups water
1 lb broccoli, chopped into florets (stems peeled and diced)
¼ cup coconut milk
⅛ tsp nutmeg
3 cups water, reserved
Salt & Pepper to taste

Add the onions and oil to a cold pot, and turn on the heat to medium high. Cover the lid of the pot, and allow the onions to cook gently, until they’re tender. This should take roughly 15 minutes. You don’t need the onions to get colour. Just let them soften.

When the onions are soft, add the diced potato (if using cooked potato, add with the broccoli). Add the water, and let the water come up to a full, rushing boil. Cover the lid, and drop down the heat to medium low. Let the potatoes cook for about 20 minutes, or until softened.

Add the broccoli, and turn off the heat. Do not stir. Slam on the lid, and let the whole contraption sit for five minutes (if using frozen broccoli, just thaw it separately, and skip the five minute steam bath). This is roughly how long the broccoli will take to steam with the residual heat. Stir the broccoli through the soup, and add the coconut milk and nutmeg. Using an immersion blender (or regular blender, if you don’t have the immersion kind), puree the soup until it’s finely blended. Add the reserved water to thin out the soup to your liking.

If you did not peel the stems of the broccoli, you will have to strain your soup, or else the tough fibres in the stems will stick in your throat, and be unpleasant. Add salt and pepper to your taste, and serve in warmed bowls with croutons.

RE: Brown Rice

You're going to have trouble with it on the stove UNLESS you soak it overnight. Just pour over it some hot tap water, and cover it in cling film. Let it soak overnight. The next morning, drain it off, and put it in your fridge to use for dinner or something. When you go to cook it, sautee it lightly in a bit of fat of your choosing, sprinkle on some salt, and pour in enough water that it comes up to about 2 cm above the surface of the rice. When the water comes to a full rushing boil, drop down the heat to low, and slam on the lid. Let it simmer for 20 minutes, and turn off the heat. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, and check for done-ness. You should be set. If you don't soak your brown rice, this will take freakishly longer, and half the grains will be undercooked and gross.

dino. fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 14, 2012

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

drawn butter!

It was a big hit! Thanks again.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 14, 2012

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Can anyone tell me the differences between different oils for cooking/frying/deep frying? As in when I want to use vegetable vs olive oil vs bacon grease vs butter, and what I should be considering when making this decision.

Thanks guys, you are always so helpful for a newbie cook such as myself.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

cereal eater posted:

Can anyone tell me the differences between different oils for cooking/frying/deep frying? As in when I want to use vegetable vs olive oil vs bacon grease vs butter, and what I should be considering when making this decision.

Your main concerns are smoke point and flavor. Generally speaking the more flavorful, the lower the smoking point. Safflower, grapeseed, and peanut oils are all good for high temperature cooking and deep frying. The other fats are more delicious but they require a bit more attention or else they may burn. Bacon grease, butter, duck fat, are basically entirely interchangeable, it just depends on what flavor profile you are going for.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 14, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Psychobabble posted:

Your main concerns are smoke point and flavor. Generally speaking the more flavorful, the lower the smoking point. Safflower, grapeseed, and peanut oils are all good for high temperature cooking and deep frying. The other fats are more delicious but they require a bit more attention or else they may burn. Bacon grease, butter, duck fat, are basically entirely interchangeable, it just depends on what flavor profile you are going for.

This is generally true but I'd say that unclarified butter's smoke point is very low, while bacon grease and duck fat you can generally get pretty hot.

edit: generally

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

cereal eater posted:

I wrote a blog entry about this:

http://altveg.blogspot.com/2009/01/downloadable-pdf-spreadsheet-i-got.html

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I've been reading up a bit about sous-vide cooking, but one thing I can't understand is why it is necessary to buy a 300$ regulator to essentially heat water.

Would a pot of water with an adequate thermometer suffice? What are the benefits of these expensive machines? Isn't it basically poaching Alton Brown style, except with steak in a vac bag?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

I've been reading up a bit about sous-vide cooking, but one thing I can't understand is why it is necessary to buy a 300$ regulator to essentially heat water.

Would a pot of water with an adequate thermometer suffice? What are the benefits of these expensive machines?

Precision of temperature control is the basic reason why they are expensive, and immersion circulators (the professional choice) are basically chemistry lab equipment. Just 3 degrees C can make a big difference when cooking eggs or fish. That said, you can roll your own sous vide with a ziplock, stovetop, and thermometer.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

baquerd posted:

Precision of temperature control is the basic reason why they are expensive, and immersion circulators (the professional choice) are basically chemistry lab equipment. Just 3 degrees C can make a big difference when cooking eggs or fish. That said, you can roll your own sous vide with a ziplock, stovetop, and thermometer.

I only really wanted to try it with steak. I have a home vac sealer, so I think I might give it a try.

On another note, do you think it would really be possible for someone who is not a "super-taster" to tell the difference between the home pot/thermometer method and the real sous-vide machines(with steak, I mean)?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

I only really wanted to try it with steak. I have a home vac sealer, so I think I might give it a try.

On another note, do you think it would really be possible for someone who is not a "super-taster" to tell the difference between the home pot/thermometer method and the real sous-vide machines(with steak, I mean)?

If you regulate the temperature with a couple of degrees the whole time and your thermometer is accurate, there's not really going to be any difference. It's a little tricky to do and very time consuming compared to the "fire and forget" action you'd get with a machine.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hobohemian posted:

Would a pot of water with an adequate thermometer suffice? What are the benefits of these expensive machines? Isn't it basically poaching Alton Brown style, except with steak in a vac bag?

As mentioned it's mostly in the accuracy and the time it can hold that accuracy. These machines can heat and hold water at temperature +-0.1 C indefinitely. The 'indefinite' part is the kicker. Sure you can cook eggs in a beer cooler at 64.4 C checked by a thermapen and hold them there for an hour, but longer can prove to be a problem. The real win for sous vide comes in the ability to braise at less than well done temperatures. This means that you can cook things like beef cheeks, heart, shanks, etc, and have them be fork tender while still being medium rare. The downside is that these take 36-72 hours. Doing this on the stovetop or in a beer cooler while maintaining +-0.1 C accuracy is impossible.

You can do other fun things, too. Basically anything requiring precise temperatures is fair game. Creme brulee? Hella easy. Pate? Hamburgers? Want to pasteurize eggs for "raw" things? Heat treat avocados so they don't brown due to oxidation? Or just heat and hold a dinner party's worth of steaks at temperature so that all you need to do is sear and serve. One could argue that sous vide is the crock pot for a new generation.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Thanks for the replies, it sounds really interesting. Someday I might make the jump to get the real thing and try something really creative. Looking forward to my next steak already.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hobohemian posted:

Thanks for the replies, it sounds really interesting. Someday I might make the jump to get the real thing and try something really creative. Looking forward to my next steak already.

if you're the DIY type, you can make one for less than 100bux

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is it possible for yogurt to ferment into being unsafe? I tried a batch with a 24 hour incubation in a warm water bath, it is sour as all hell. Which is cool with me but not if it's unsafe. I did scald it first so it should only have the bacteria from the starter, right?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Anyone have a pot roast recipe they're particularly fond of? I'd like to try something different than the last one I found on the net, and the one in the wiki calls for cream of mushroom soap and onion soup mix.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The SARS Volta posted:

Anyone have a pot roast recipe they're particularly fond of? I'd like to try something different than the last one I found on the net, and the one in the wiki calls for cream of mushroom soap and onion soup mix.

Mom does it pretty basic - salt+pepper the roast, sear it on both sides, and plop it into the oven, pour a cup of water with beef boullion in it. Toss in quartered potatoes and carrots and an onion and let it cook in the oven for 3 hours or so. Make the gravy with what's left, some people add flour at the beginning so you get gravy as it cooks but I'd just rather do it afterwards.

I always stole the onion as a kid and ate it (as well as the biggest pieces of fat before it was given to the dog), so now I chop the onion when I put it in, that way everyone can have some.

My mom never used a ton of spices in her food, and she certainly didn't dump in soy sauce, worchestshire sauce, ketchup, or french onion soup packets. I've tried a lot of recipes for roasts and usually go back to the plain and boring one.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

I'd say try the stock pot + candy thermometer method before buying a machine to see how much you like it. Steaks are pretty forgiving, so is duck breast. once you get into fancier stuff, temperature control is important enough that a machine is way more practical, plus babysitting your temp is a pain in the rear end. I use a cheap ziploc vacuum sealer and I find it easy to make perfect sous vide duck.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bob Morales posted:

Mom does it pretty basic - salt+pepper the roast, sear it on both sides, and plop it into the oven, pour a cup of water with beef boullion in it. Toss in quartered potatoes and carrots and an onion and let it cook in the oven for 3 hours or so. Make the gravy with what's left, some people add flour at the beginning so you get gravy as it cooks but I'd just rather do it afterwards.

This is pretty much the recipe I use (aka Mom's recipe), but I also add some chopped celery, a bay leaf and a few cloves of garlic.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can do other fun things, too. Basically anything requiring precise temperatures is fair game. Creme brulee? Hella easy. Pate? Hamburgers? Want to pasteurize eggs for "raw" things? Heat treat avocados so they don't brown due to oxidation? Or just heat and hold a dinner party's worth of steaks at temperature so that all you need to do is sear and serve. One could argue that sous vide is the crock pot for a new generation.

Tell me about using one of these for homebrewing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

About roasts, I find that cloves are a very good spice addition to a beef pot roast. Use them sparingly, though. One or two is all you'd need to have it be clovey. Chicken stock is also another good option for braising the meat in.

Would the potatoes pretty much disintegrate after 3 hours of cooking? When I make stews I just add them in 1 hour before completion so they're cooked.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Eeyo posted:

Would the potatoes pretty much disintegrate after 3 hours of cooking? When I make stews I just add them in 1 hour before completion so they're cooked.

You are right, they do get pretty mushy. Using whole potatoes makes that a little better, but the better way (non lazy way) is to add them towards the end.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Thanks guys.

As for potatoes, I think I'll just boil some separately and serve them mashed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The SARS Volta posted:

Thanks guys.

As for potatoes, I think I'll just boil some separately and serve them mashed.

I like roasting them, since the meat will be super-tender as will the carrots. Mixes it up a little.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I like to add a nice dark beer to the braising liquid when I do pot roasts, and lately I've been experimenting with adding tomato sauce as well. Both really tasty.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
So, GWS, I'm making my girl chocolate covered strawberries tonight and I must know which chocolate is better for this dessert: milk or semi-sweet?

I plan on fork drizzling some with white chocolate and coating some with crushed nuts, possibly hazelnut.

Also, depending on the type of chocolate, what variety of wine should I pair with?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Dark chocolate, get a ruby port for the wine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Milk chocolate just doesn't set up hard enough for chocolate dipped strawberries. Go with a semi.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Cooking for myself tonight, just had an idea. All I have out for meat that is thawed right now are some chicken breasts, and I also have a jar of pizza sauce, pepperonis and mozzarella cheese. I was thinking I'd put it all in a glass baking thing, put the sauce/cheese/pepperonis on top, add some foil and bake it all together. Sort of like a chicken breast pizza, or something.

Is this a good idea, or should I cook the chicken some first, then take it out, add the rest and put it back in?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Whats the best way to re-heat day old roasted vegetables (potatos, carrots, turnp, etc.) I was thinking of tossing them in a frying pan and heating over low heat.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

Tsurupettan posted:

Cooking for myself tonight, just had an idea. All I have out for meat that is thawed right now are some chicken breasts, and I also have a jar of pizza sauce, pepperonis and mozzarella cheese. I was thinking I'd put it all in a glass baking thing, put the sauce/cheese/pepperonis on top, add some foil and bake it all together. Sort of like a chicken breast pizza, or something.

Is this a good idea, or should I cook the chicken some first, then take it out, add the rest and put it back in?

I've done this before and it's INSANELY delicious. Here's how I did mine: cook chicken breasts to completion, either by baking or pan frying or whatever. Put toppings/sauce on chicken breasts, throw under broiler until appropriately crispy/brown/melty/delicious. :)

Edit: I coated the chicken breasts in parmesan cheese (yeah, the powder poo poo, so sue me; it works incredibly well as a breading) and italian seasoning/salt/pepper/garlic powder before baking, as well. Mmmm.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

noblesse posted:

I've done this before and it's INSANELY delicious. Here's how I did mine: cook chicken breasts to completion, either by baking or pan frying or whatever. Put toppings/sauce on chicken breasts, throw under broiler until appropriately crispy/brown/melty/delicious. :)

Thanks for the input! Should I be using foil for this or not? I don't really know when the 'right' time to use foil is, yet.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Whats the best way to re-heat day old roasted vegetables (potatos, carrots, turnp, etc.) I was thinking of tossing them in a frying pan and heating over low heat.
If you're married to them being reheated as such, go for it in the microwave for like 3 - 5 minutes, covered. Else, the stove over medium high heat will do the trick. However, I prefer day-old roasted veg in a soup. Just heat up your favourite bean (tinned is fine) or grain (pasta, rice, quinoa, etc), dump in the roasted veg, top with some herbs of your choice, splash in a bit of white wine, and add water to just cover it. Bring to a full boil, and serve hot. It's lovely.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks for the input! Should I be using foil for this or not? I don't really know when the 'right' time to use foil is, yet.

I do something similar frequently, toss the chicken in with pasta sauce and bake for 45-50 minutes. I use a loaf pan covered with foil. I don't cook the chicken first, it comes out quite tender this way.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My husband bought me a tub of methylcellulose powder as an anniversary gift. I put it on my wish list after seeing it mentioned on some cooking show, so I'm vaguely familiar with how it works, and I'm sure Google will help me out, but I'd love some input from any goons who've used the stuff. What are some awesome applications for it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_cellulose

quote:

Lubricant
Methyl cellulose is used as a variable viscosity personal lubricant; it is the main ingredient in K-Y Jelly.
Hmmm...

http://listverse.com/2008/12/15/top-10-unusual-cooking-concepts/

This one says you can make hot ice cream with it. That sounds so awesome I think I'm going to buy some too

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 15, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't you remember the Good Eats episode where AB made flavored lube?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I've been having a bunch of leftover rice lately, and rather than frying it for lunch, what else could I do with it? I could, technically, keep it in the rice cooker for a few days, but I don't eat rice every day (maybe I should???), and I don't trust my extremely lovely rice cooker to not gently caress something up.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
You could add some of it to a salad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've been having a bunch of leftover rice lately, and rather than frying it for lunch, what else could I do with it? I could, technically, keep it in the rice cooker for a few days, but I don't eat rice every day (maybe I should???), and I don't trust my extremely lovely rice cooker to not gently caress something up.
If it's long grain rice, the next day is the perfect time to cook off some veggies with some spices and fat, and then toss it with the cold rice (and warm the rice through on the stove) to make a sort of quickie pilaf deal. Cumin and coriander, and a bit of turmeric go a long way towards making next-day rice interesting again.

Or, you could cook it up with a tin of beans, a bit of garlic and scallion, a bit of thyme, and coconut milk for Jamaican Rice & Peas. It tastes awesome, and is wicked easy to make.