Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I'm hoping to get the BRZ when it comes out in 4ish months. I drive an '05 Legacy right now, so I'm not sure exactly how the size will compare. I've ridden in my friend's '01ish Miata and it wasn't bad. It should be similar to that, yes?

Edit: :synpa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Laserface posted:

(well and truly tied down by my girlfriend who wants baby in a year or so)
Go put the baby seat in the BRZ question to her.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Laserface posted:

gently caress babies/girlfriends smoke tires every day.

(well and truly tied down by my girlfriend who wants baby in a year or so)

I'm also a cyclist so we might not get babies. It's easier to take apart a bike for transport than dismembering my progeny anyways.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rabble posted:

Speaking of which, how many dead hookers can I put in the boot? What is the hooker to tire conversion ratio?

Shattered or unshattered joints?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

If you're okay with stuffing the babies inside of the tires, you should be able to carry five.

What helmet should I get for my baby for autox events?

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Muffinpox posted:

No, the engine is covered if the TRD part causes the failure. Manufacturers are required to have warranties (12mo/12kmi bein thr minimum iirc) and to replace whatever failure damage the item causes and generally "engine exploding right the gently caress up" isn't considered normal wear and tear unless you're Porsche.

Did I miss something like a TRD supercharger kit, complete with engine remap, bolstered bottom end, lowered compression ratio, intercooler, uprated valve seats and forged pistons being offered?

I mean this is quite a high end N/A engine, a 12.5 CR and a peak power at 7000 rpm. It's simply not the type of engine that will tolerate any kind of high intake pressures.

I can imagine a forced induction option of the FA motor coming out of the factory but there is no practical way to retrofit a supercharger and continue it's design life as intended. For the same reason you can't buy all the turbocharger bits for the EJ20 engine and turn it into an EJ20T.

(Well OK you could if you had an EJ20T and transplanted the bits into an EJ20 block but it wouldn't work in the FA case because the components don't exist)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It seems odd that they'd offer an official TRD supercharger if it was absolutely guaranteed to blow the motor up. Rather bad, press-wise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Any TRD parts maintain your OEM warranty. This is basically the whole point of buying TRD parts (other than if you are a fanboy) versus some sort of cheaper aftermarket equipment.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I showed my nearly-2-year-old kid the BEEZ & he shouted "WOW EE-AH CAR!" whilst vibrating excitedly. To translate, he thinks the car is a police vehicle (blue) & he has quite a high opinion of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

I showed my nearly-2-year-old kid the BEEZ & he shouted "WOW EE-AH CAR!" whilst vibrating excitedly. To translate, he thinks the car is a police vehicle (blue) & he has quite a high opinion of it.
Your son has good taste in cars and may also be Richard Hammond.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Only if he's had his (baby) teeth whitened.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

Only if he's had his (baby) teeth whitened.

Honestly should be mandatory for anyone in the UK. Just make it part of the NHS.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Internet Explorer posted:

Honestly should be mandatory for anyone in the UK. Just make it part of the NHS.

Hey, as a person of partial British descent. You're right. :smith:

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Shattered or unshattered joints?

I've oddly had this exact discussion with my sister who does evaluate cars on the "how many bodies can I fit in the trunk" criteria.

Assuming each dead hooker is about 150 lbs (68kilos->68 liters (people are mostly bags of water afterall) -> 2.4 cu ft/body) and that the Toyobaru has about 6.9 cu ft with the seats up...that's 'just' enough for two, slightly disjointed bodies.

You could probably get three meth'd out hookers, though. They're a bit scrawnier.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

But what if you folded the back seat down? (assuming you'd want to share the same compartment with a pile of dead hookers)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Jonny Quest posted:

I've oddly had this exact discussion with my sister who does evaluate cars on the "how many bodies can I fit in the trunk" criteria.

My first car was a 1987 Grand Marquis LS, so this was a pretty common discussion topic whenever the trunk opened. That thing could hold so loving much, for a while I was keeping a goddamned steamer trunk in it. It held over 20 full laundry basket, alternated Jenga-style.

My serious guess was 16 dead hookers (disjointed, non-meth).

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

emoltra posted:

But what if you folded the back seat down? (assuming you'd want to share the same compartment with a pile of dead hookers)

Thats no good. The rozzers would be able to see the dead hookers and arrest you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's nice to be able to do it when absolutely necessary but I really wouldn't feel comfortable taking my kid to daycare that way every day - I know it's quite safe relatively speaking but it would be at best annoyingly cramped to get the lil fucker in and out of it.

I mean for stuff like that just stick the thing in the passenger seat and make sure the airbag is off, right? Is it significantly worse in the front versus the back in a car that size?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

emoltra posted:

That's cheating. The Dead Hooker test must be done with the seats up and hookers not being able to be seen

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Is the roll-up boot cover that's found in station wagons and cars like the 944 acceptable for covering hookers? I only have wagons. :ohdear:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

leica posted:

You've been drinking alone again, haven't you

It's Valentine's Day and I am single, of course.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Ecstatic posted:

Did I miss something like a TRD supercharger kit, complete with engine remap, bolstered bottom end, lowered compression ratio, intercooler, uprated valve seats and forged pistons being offered?

I mean this is quite a high end N/A engine, a 12.5 CR and a peak power at 7000 rpm. It's simply not the type of engine that will tolerate any kind of high intake pressures.

I can imagine a forced induction option of the FA motor coming out of the factory but there is no practical way to retrofit a supercharger and continue it's design life as intended. For the same reason you can't buy all the turbocharger bits for the EJ20 engine and turn it into an EJ20T.

I thought I read somewhere that the next WRX would come with forged internals from the factory, but now I can't find the article. Maybe I made it up, but the fact that Subaru has been having issues with tuning and ring lands blowing with the current engine, it makes sense that the new one would be beefier from the get go. Plus Honda put forged internals in the S2k to deal with the high CR and sustained RPM, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them in the FA engine, especially with that 12.5 CR.

S2000s can push the 500hp mark on the stock bottom end with their 11:1 CR, so 300hp on the FA engine should be very doable if it comes with factory forged internals.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

You could have rods and pistons made from unobtanium and you'd still hit a wall pretty quickly at 12.5:1 on pump gas.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Is the roll-up boot cover that's found in station wagons and cars like the 944 acceptable for covering hookers? I only have wagons. :ohdear:

As long as dead hookers cant be seen and there are no lumps giving anything away under the cover, this is acceptible.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Piano posted:

You could have rods and pistons made from unobtanium and you'd still hit a wall pretty quickly at 12.5:1 on pump gas.

Which is why S2k guys replace their stock headgasket with 2-3mm thick ones that reduce the CR. That way they can hit 700hp on factory internals with a much more boost friendly ~9:1 CR.

Maybe Honda just makes their engines out of unobtanium.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

BoostCreep posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the next WRX would come with forged internals from the factory, but now I can't find the article. Maybe I made it up, but the fact that Subaru has been having issues with tuning and ring lands blowing with the current engine, it makes sense that the new one would be beefier from the get go

The higher compression ratio is probably going to help out with the ring land problems too. As I understand it, the primary issue is that the stock tune on the STI was really lean to ensure it met emissions requirements. With a higher CR, they *should* be able make the engine burn more cleanly while still feeding the engine enough fuel.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Talked to my respective Subaru and Scion sales managers today; they're both saying late summer.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

BoostCreep posted:

Which is why S2k guys replace their stock headgasket with 2-3mm thick ones that reduce the CR. That way they can hit 700hp on factory internals with a much more boost friendly ~9:1 CR.

What's the initial compression ratio? It's incredible that that would make so much difference.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Compression ratio is very important when going forced induction on a car. Too much and you're not going to be able to run any boost without ugly detonation

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MrSaturn posted:

What's the initial compression ratio? It's incredible that that would make so much difference.

11:1 in the US. If you divide the max volume per cylinder by the CR, your given how much volume the squish area is at top dead center. In the S2000s case it's .5L divided by 11, so the squish area is 45mL. Adding a 3mm head gasket adds 10mL volume to that (since the piston stroke hasn't changed, just the head height) giving you 55mL or a 9:1 CR.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BoostCreep posted:

Well they sure cost more than Miatas for a reason.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

aventari posted:

Compression ratio is very important when going forced induction on a car. Too much and you're not going to be able to run any boost without ugly detonation

In practical terms you *can* usually run forced-induction, but at a certain point the degree of ignition retardation needed to prevent detonation becomes self-defeating for power production

Generally this point is reached earlier the higher the static CR is, though there are lots of variables such as fuel, intake air temp and combustion chamber design

That F20C looks pretty solid, nice crank girdle

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ROFLBOT posted:

That F20C looks pretty solid, nice crank girdle

Is that the underside of the block? I assume crank girdle is the 3" deep section sandwiching the crank?

power
Nov 4, 2009
Checking in on this thread after getting 500+ posts behind. Hit last page figuring I may catch the latest news. Found dead hooker discussion. AI never disappoints.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Okay, 12:1 is very drat high to begin with for any forced induction, but back of the napkin maths supports a lo-blow supercharger on standard internals at that ratio - a WRX at max boost (11.5psi) has a working CR of 14:1 approx so if you say set 4psi for a supercharger, I can see it working extremely effectively. A turbo would have to be small and the maths doesnt support it, not without an extensive rebuild and E85.

Given the charateristics of the car as they are being reported, a lo-blo supercharger would work very well and match the chassis and power delivery of the NA motor, plus not add much weight or complexity. If you could wrangle say another 30Kw out of the engine without resorting to turbocharging, you would have one hell of an effective track car - the throttle response of a lo-blo supercharger is soooo much better than a turbo of any description. Altho I think what I would like to do is see if I could resonably cheaply get that extra 30Kw without forced induction. Probably not but the car weighs little enough that any improvement will make a good difference.

I wonder what the car would weigh if you stripped it down somewhat?

Edit - On the dead hooker thing, a WRX can only take three, however my Caprice we estimate can take 7 whole ones.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Yeh I can see a low pressure supercharger being added to the motor without too much of an engine rework but it would definitely have to be remapped. Which again adds to my view that if a supercharger is offered, it'll be as part of a new car not a kit.

The other thing this engine has going for it is DI, which is much more effective at dealing with the higher intake pressures and temps of forced induction. Nissan and Mclaren get pretty big power out of relatively small direct injection turbo engines.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ecstatic posted:

Yeh I can see a low pressure supercharger being added to the motor without too much of an engine rework but it would definitely have to be remapped. Which again adds to my view that if a supercharger is offered, it'll be as part of a new car not a kit.

Of course it'll need remapping. But that's frankly easy for say TRD / Subaru to do as part of a kit - known parts, known results, one known map required, 10 minutes and done.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The prius is 13:1 compression ratio. (the valves are open so what!) Beat that on 86 octane.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Elephanthead posted:

The prius is 13:1 compression ratio. (the valves are open so what!) Beat that on 86 octane.

I don't suspect anyone will because...prius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Elephanthead posted:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I don't suspect anyone will because...prius.

Mazda3 with SkyActiv. Requires 91 octane though, so I guess that argument is invalid anyway.

• Locked thread