Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Speaking of stuff going out of print, I was shocked to discover that the director's cut of zodiac is out of print and fetching ridiculous prices (at least in the minds of amazon marketplace sellers).

I was waiting for this for literally years in Ireland, it got delayed and delayed and then in the end it had an extremely limited release. drat shame, it's a fine film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

Speaking of stuff going out of print, I was shocked to discover that the director's cut of zodiac is out of print and fetching ridiculous prices (at least in the minds of amazon marketplace sellers).

Amazon sellers are the worst. They're really vulnerable to the idea that if something is "out of print" that means it's very rare and valuable.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If any of you have blockbusters near you, I encourage you to see if they're closing, because mine was and I got Animal Kingdom, Micmacs, The White Ribbon, The Illusionist (animated), A Single Man, An Education, Winter's Bone and The Kids Are All Right for $4 each this morning.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-Directors-Blu-ray-Mark-Ruffalo/dp/B0013BCWEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328942312&sr=8-2

This one lists it for 25, and Amazon claims it's all regions.

Or you could buy it for US$14.62 including shipping from Amazon UK.

It's not the same disc as the OOP Paramount one though, which had a better encode, lossless audio, and the extras on a second disc.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 11, 2012

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I ordered Synecdoche, New York from Amazon and they sent me the Canadian version. Any idea why they would do that? And any reason to assume there are difference from the American release?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

caiman posted:

So I ordered Synecdoche, New York from Amazon and they sent me the Canadian version. Any idea why they would do that? And any reason to assume there are difference from the American release?

Canadian and American releases tend to be the exact same, except the name of the movie and synopsis is written on the box in English and in French.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

codyclarke posted:

except the name of the movie and synopsis is written on the box in English and in French.

Luckily that's not the case here. The distribution companies are different though, which is what made me wonder if the content might be different. The US version is Sony Pictures Classics and this Canadian version is Maple Pictures.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

caiman posted:

Are you sure that you ordered directly from Amazon or did you purchase from a third-party through Amazon?

They have been listing others sellers first on certain items for some time.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

caiman posted:

Looking at the Amazon listing right now, it appears you ordered from InetVideo instead of Amazon themselves.

A lot of third party sellers, especially InetVideo, will price their listing just a few cents cheaper than the actual Amazon price. This causes the Amazon system to automatically prioritize the cheaper listing, resulting in people who don't look for this specifically to order from InetVideo instead of from Amazon. And InetVideo is a Canada-based company, so everything they ship out will be the Canadian version.

I like that Amazon will show third party prices when they are cheaper, but I don't like the system in its current implementation - there should be the clear message that you are in fact ordering from a third party, and that just isn't so now. And entities like InetVideo are clearly gaming the system due to this oversight.

To avoid this, always check who is actually selling the item. If it's not Amazon themselves, click the smaller button to see all "New" listings for the item, and scroll down to the actual Amazon listing and add to the cart from there.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

caiman posted:

Luckily that's not the case here. The distribution companies are different though, which is what made me wonder if the content might be different. The US version is Sony Pictures Classics and this Canadian version is Maple Pictures.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between the Canadian Maple and US Sony versions is that the Canadian is A-locked and the US is region free. They came out simultaneously.

Then again, you might want to double check, since they're still pulling poo poo like this.

codyclarke posted:

Canadian and American releases tend to be the exact same, except the name of the movie and synopsis is written on the box in English and in French.

There are quite a few that are not the same. Usually smaller fare, but a lot of New Line and Miramax/Weinstein stuff got poo poo out in Canada by Alliance Atlantis using 1080i HDTV masters, that sometimes aren't even in OAR. I know the Canadian editions of Se7en, The English Patient, Requiem for a Dream, Traffic and The Others are all terrible.

Pretty much anything with Maple or Alliance Atlantis written on it should be treated with caution.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 12, 2012

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-Directors-Blu-ray-Mark-Ruffalo/dp/B0013BCWEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328942312&sr=8-2

This one lists it for 25, and Amazon claims it's all regions.

That one looks kind of bootleggy to me--studio is listed as Warner Bros. UK--does that mean it's just a region-free version of the UK release burned by some third party? Although aren't at least some Warner blus region-free?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

frumpsnake posted:

There are quite a few that are not the same. Usually smaller fare, but a lot of New Line and Miramax/Weinstein stuff got poo poo out in Canada by Alliance Atlantis using 1080i HDTV masters, that sometimes aren't even in OAR. I know the Canadian editions of Se7en, The English Patient, Requiem for a Dream, Traffic and The Others are all terrible.

Pretty much anything with Maple or Alliance Atlantis written on it should be treated with caution.
This happened to me with Eternal Sunshine. Thankfully, Amazon has the best return policy I've ever utilized.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Jack Gladney posted:

That one looks kind of bootleggy to me--studio is listed as Warner Bros. UK--does that mean it's just a region-free version of the UK release burned by some third party? Although aren't at least some Warner blus region-free?

It's the region free UK Warner Bros disc sold by a retailer than imports them. Again, it's cheaper to just buy it from Amazon UK (and their international shipping is pretty drat fast/cheap).

And all Warners are region free.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Synapse Films gets burned by DVNR

Basically, they hired an unnamed company to perform the digital cleanup on a 16mm-sourced film (Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except). They just wanted it to be cleaner, but not eradicated of detail and noise. The video master is returned with Predator levels of cleanup. So, they send it to Reliance Mediaworks (Lowry Digital) and they did a perfect job. No name is mentioned for the original company, but it's obviously HTV (who ruined Patton and Predator on Blu).

edit: I misread the article

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 12, 2012

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Synapse Films gets burned by DVNR

Basically, they hired an unnamed company to perform the digital cleanup on a 16mm-sourced film (Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except). They just wanted it to be cleaner, but not eradicated of detail and noise. The video master is returned with Predator levels of cleanup. So, they get their money back and send it to Reliance Mediaworks (Lowry Digital) and they did a perfect job. No name is mentioned for the original company, but it's obviously HTV (who ruined Patton and Predator on Blu).

Good for them, and it's always nice to see a company who doesn't want to interfere with they picture at all unless necessary.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

So, they get their money back

Where does it say this?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The movie only versions of Final Destination 5 and Contagion dropped down to $9.99 each on Amazon. Both come with Ultraviolet copies and a free Amazon VOD rental of the movie (in case you can't wait the few days for it to show up before watching it)

Final Destination 5 = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005WFPAU8

Contagion = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005WFWVL4

- edit Also the Collector's Edition of the Looney Tunes Platinum Edition Volume 1 dropped to $34.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005DMHHKQ

$7 cheaper than the normal edition and this one is numbered plus

quote:

This collection is limited and includes the following:
- Character collectible glass featuring Bugs Bunny
- Souvenir tin sign magnet featuring an image of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck
- Framed litho-cel featuring your favorite Looney Tunes characters
- Certificate of authenticity!
- Digibook with rare images and cartoon guide by historian Jerry Beck (same digibook & disc as Blu-ray)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 12, 2012

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Was Contagion any good? I missed it in theaters.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Yeah, it's not amazing but it's very unique and certainly worth the price.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

It's definitely a "your mileage may vary" kind of movie. I thought it was mediocre but some people get a lot out of it.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I went to see it with three guy friends and one of them thought it was poo poo, the other two thought it was mediocre but they'd never watch it again, while myself I found it pretty intruiging. It's a really interesting film because it's a premise that I've never seen done before, and it's executed pretty well. That said, it's not really a thriller and there's no action in it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I personally don't think it's worth owning. It was a good story but there really isn't anything to go back to once done.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I like Contagion quite a bit, but it plays like a dramatization of a real-life event. It's more an interesting "what-if" than something more sensationalistic like Outbreak.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's also sort of an attack on people like Jenny McCarthy, if that sounds intriguing.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

It has some missteps, and you can tell a lot was cut out of it, but it's worth watching because of how realistically the science is portrayed, it doesn't get dumbed down for the audience.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That was the most interesting part for me (I get a kick out of watching people do things that they're really good at).

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Most of my enjoyment in that movie comes from the fact that half the action takes place in Minneapolis (where I live). I liked Jude Law's character.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It just made me want to turn off the movie and re-read The Hot Zone.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did Jude Law always have that big gap in the middle of his front teeth? Or was it just for the movie?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes, my roommate and her brother were watching that movie where he works at a morgue on Netflix the other night and it was there.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Artist - April 24th

Kind of light on extras, but the documentaries sound enticing. Too bad they didn't ask Jeffrey Wells to do a commentary.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

Some price drops at Amazon.

Evil Dead 2 (new edition) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005J9ZE5I
Cold Mountain - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0064MT1LM
Shakespeare In Love - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0064MT1U8

These dropped to $5.99

Also: The English Patient dropped to $7.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0064MT1QW

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
The screencaps at bluray.com are showing that The Deadly Spawn's 1080i transfer is inferior to the DVD.

gently caress. Wish I wouldn't have pre-ordered.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Wow, that's quite possibly the worst transfer I've ever seen. Certainly up there with Gullivers Travels.

http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/02/13/the-deadly-spawn-millennium-edition/

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sporadic posted:

Also the Collector's Edition of the Looney Tunes Platinum Edition Volume 1 dropped to $34.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005DMHHKQ

Does anyone know whether this is coming to the UK? Only the golden editions on DVD are available here.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

WB prepping 75th Anniversary Edition of Wizard of Oz

I've bought this movie three times already. I don't know how much better the transfer could be, or what extras they could possibly tack on, to get me to buy it again. But goddamnit, I'll probably buy it anyway. Unless it's only available in some ridiculous giant box with silly geegaws.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FitFortDanga posted:

I've bought this movie three times already. I don't know how much better the transfer could be, or what extras they could possibly tack on, to get me to buy it again. But goddamnit, I'll probably buy it anyway. Unless it's only available in some ridiculous giant box with silly geegaws.

Includes full membership in the Lollipop Guild.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Take Shelter came out today.

Incredible film where Michael Shannon got robbed for a Best Actor nomination. Amazon actually shipped this to me friday and came in the mail yesterday! :)Excited to watch this with the Shannon & director Jeff Nichols commentary.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

The 2009 Blu is from their state-of-the-art 4K restoration, which used 8K scans of the original camera negatives (and fine-grain positives for the sepia bookends). There's no reason to issue Oz on Blu again until a higher resolution system exists.

Seriously, Warner hasn't released a single silent to Blu while Paramount is already at #2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
How is the blu ray of Yojimbo & Sanjuro criterion? I'm assuming they look pretty drat good if it's CC, I just don't know if I can justify spending $52 on two movies right now...

• Locked thread