Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Over the past 5 or 6 years I've listened to the Ricky Gervais Show/Guide To/XFM shows probably a dozen times, and each time I'm more and more convinced that Karl isn't THAT stupid, he's just really good at frustrating Ricky.

Also, every time I hate Ricky more and more. He yells at Karl for pronouncing "tongue" as "tong" and then goes and says something like "Your-rih-inal" (urinal) The only one who speaks properly is Stephen. He's also a smug rear end in a top hat (anytime someone mentions religion he has to put it down or mention he's an atheist).

On the one where they're doing desert island discs, Ricky picks a book of art for his luxury item, and then spends the next 5 minutes saying how dumb Karl is for picking a dictionary as his book. Sure, his reasoning is dumb but a loving art book? :cmon:

But that's their act. That's like getting mad at the Stooges for hitting each other.

Ricky acts like a smug rear end in a top hat(and honestly probably is) and Karl acts like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

LesterGroans posted:

Ricky acts like a smug rear end in a top hat(and honestly probably is) and Karl acts like an idiot.
Yeah one of them is definitely playing it up a lot for the show but the other one obviously isn't at all due to ???

:rolleyes:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Ricky Gervais is an rear end in a top hat who is really good at making fun of a slightly different kind of rear end in a top hat.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

LesterGroans posted:

But that's their act. That's like getting mad at the Stooges for hitting each other.

Plus that's how Brits pronounce urinal (unless I'm missing something), so getting upset over that is weird.

ilysespieces fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 8, 2012

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Ricky is definitely one of those "love to hate" kind of guys for me, like Nick DiPaolo. Ricky's a funny but smug prick and completely overestimates his intelligence, and Nick is an amazing comic who's completely incapable of defending or explaining his goofy political leanings. They're both good for laughing with and at.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

completely overestimates his intelligence

lol, what in the world is this based on?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

indigi posted:

lol, what in the world is this based on?

His podcast? I know many times I've listened and cringed at his superficial (or flat-out incorrect) understanding of the things he's trying to educate Karl about. I'm not saying he's stupid, but he's definitely not as wise as he thinks he is. I suppose hanging around Karl gives you an inflated sense of your own intelligence.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I agree that Ricky seems to feel that he's above a lot of people, and especially Karl. He's very pedantic, and it gets on my nerves, and because of that, it gives me great joy to hear Karl just drive him absolutely insane.

One example I can think of was when Karls was talking about the brain, and who or what is in control. When asked to explain himself, he gives a pretty good, if simply worded, description of the conscious self and the unconscious self, saying that sometimes he thinks of something, and something in that thought triggers another thought he didn't know he had. He said it made him wonder whether he controlled his brain, if if it controlled him. It was pretty impressive for someone as uneducated as Karl, but Ricky just calls him stupid because "You are your brain" and such.

He also gets that smug, better-than-you attitude when anything regarding god comes up. I'm not religious or anything, but there's no reason to be rude to those that are, unprovoked, just because they hold a set of beliefs that you don't.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yes, he's pedantic and annoying on a radio show made for entertainment, you've never had dinner with him and Karl

FitFortDanga posted:

His podcast? I know many times I've listened and cringed at his superficial (or flat-out incorrect) understanding of the things he's trying to educate Karl about. I'm not saying he's stupid, but he's definitely not as wise as he thinks he is. I suppose hanging around Karl gives you an inflated sense of your own intelligence.

That's a fair point. I'd never think of this as "overestimating your intelligence" although I see how it could be interpreted that way.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Really, would it be any good if Ricky and Karl were any different than they are? It works so well because they're an aloof and well-intentioned man with weird ideas and a smug, puck-like joker.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
To be fair what kind of a cock writes op-ed pieces on Wall Street Journal disproving the existence of god.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

LesterGroans posted:

Really, would it be any good if Ricky and Karl were any different than they are? It works so well because they're an aloof and well-intentioned man with weird ideas and a smug, puck-like joker.

I does make for good entertainment, and most of the time he's not that bad. There are just points where Ricky stops listening to Karl, won't let him finish a thought, and just yells until he decides to give up. It's not entertaining at those points.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

SpacePig posted:

I does make for good entertainment, and most of the time he's not that bad. There are just points where Ricky stops listening to Karl, won't let him finish a thought, and just yells until he decides to give up. It's not entertaining at those points.

Which is true. It happens a lot more in later XFM shows(the early to mid XFM shows being the best stuff with the three of them) and I'll agree that it can get grating.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

This is why I'm a Steve fan.

So disappointed his appearance on Nerdist was cut short.

EDIT
Also, to dredge up something from a couple pages ago: I'm so loving done with Judge John Hodgman. I love the guy, but I could not give less of a poo poo about these loving whiteys and their goddamn dog.

Disco Godfather fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 9, 2012

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Disco Godfather posted:

This is why I'm a Steve fan.

So disappointed his appearance on Nerdist was cut short.

EDIT
Also, to dredge up something from a couple pages ago: I'm so loving done with Judge John Hodgman. I love the guy, but I could not give less of a poo poo about these loving whiteys and their goddamn dog.

This is what I meant about people getting way to worked up about guests. They're probably very innocuous people who tried to make a little joke and people freak out about it.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

This is what I meant about people getting way to worked up about guests. They're probably very innocuous people who tried to make a little joke and people freak out about it.

It was funny at first when everyone pretended to be serious about what was going on, but now the guests have this "LOLWERESOCUTE" attitude. Hodgman is the only one doing it right at this point.

It didn't enrage me like the waffle cone guy or the lazy unemployed wife, I just realized I had been listening to it for 20 minutes without paying attention.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
This is just fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq-4r_Ye-s

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Disco Godfather posted:

It was funny at first when everyone pretended to be serious about what was going on, but now the guests have this "LOLWERESOCUTE" attitude. Hodgman is the only one doing it right at this point.

It didn't enrage me like the waffle cone guy or the lazy unemployed wife, I just realized I had been listening to it for 20 minutes without paying attention.

You're right, if something ENRAGES you just listening to it, you probably shouldn't be listening anymore. Not the fault of the show though.

edit: Listened to the show today at work, and holy poo poo did you ever over react to it.

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 9, 2012

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007
I was on a conference call today with someone who sounded eerily like Bob Ducca and all I could think about was asking him to say "puffknuckle"

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Puffknuckle?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Puffnuckle.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

No Ticket posted:

I was on a conference call today with someone who sounded eerily like Bob Ducca and all I could think about was asking him to say "puffknuckle"

The funny thing is, he'll probably outlive all of you.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

dog poop n doritos posted:

Puffknuckle?

Dirtbelly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

dancehall posted:

Dirtbelly.

Parkinson's disease.

Parallel Parkinson's disease.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
More people should talk about Complete Guide To Everything (just a warning, no skits or celebrities).

If you want a recommended episode, get "Holiday Movies", the first 10-15 are the funniest thing I've heard, and I probably listened to that chunk of the episode more than any podcast ever.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I like TCGTE a lot but I don't feel like there's whole lot to discuss. Same with My Brother, My Brother and Me.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

New Lou Reads dropped on Saturday. I've been having major tech headaches with my gear. Mainly relating to finicky external HDDs crapping out on me mid recording. Very annoying.

Anyway, here goes. http://loureads.com/2012/02/11/lou-reads-from-orgasmanic-a-forum-about-general-sex-masturbation-chat/

I think the next episode is going to be GBS related... Good stuff happening in there lately!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just started listening to The Flop House, but so far I like it a lot more than We Hate Movies and How Did This Get Made.

None of them really warrant their own thread, but maybe someone should make a Movie/Comedy podcast thread.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Improv4humans is great, go listen to it.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

More people should talk about Complete Guide To Everything (just a warning, no skits or celebrities).

If you want a recommended episode, get "Holiday Movies", the first 10-15 are the funniest thing I've heard, and I probably listened to that chunk of the episode more than any podcast ever.

I tried listening to this the other day because of the recommendation from the UYD thread. It was alright, but I couldn't stop thinking about how that segment from UYD where Jah rips podcasts for having stupid loving "jingles" intermittent throughout their podcasts and It was just like nails on a chalkboard everytime they played that stupid loving song.

Oh I also got the feeling that the two hosts were like bitterly trying to talk over one another at times.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

King Lou posted:

New Lou Reads dropped on Saturday. I've been having major tech headaches with my gear. Mainly relating to finicky external HDDs crapping out on me mid recording. Very annoying.

Anyway, here goes. http://loureads.com/2012/02/11/lou-reads-from-orgasmanic-a-forum-about-general-sex-masturbation-chat/

I think the next episode is going to be GBS related... Good stuff happening in there lately!
Great episode, but the NWS picture for the show that came up on my mp3 player made me nervous to listen at my desk.

Maybe it's better that I don't listen to you talking about people oozing while I'm working anyway!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Thanks. I hadn't considered that people might have the podcast image visible to the public. Perhaps in the future I won't put up such a salacious, oozer inducing piece of art for the episode graphic. ;D

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

The Quake posted:

I tried listening to this the other day because of the recommendation from the UYD thread. It was alright, but I couldn't stop thinking about how that segment from UYD where Jah rips podcasts for having stupid loving "jingles" intermittent throughout their podcasts and It was just like nails on a chalkboard everytime they played that stupid loving song.

Oh I also got the feeling that the two hosts were like bitterly trying to talk over one another at times.

The abrupt cut to the music immediately after a punchline makes me laugh pretty consistently, but then again Stop Podcasting Yourself makes extensive use of stupid jingles and I like that show a lot!

The passive agression between the hosts is also a recurring bit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think the best moments of Complete Guide to Everything involve when someone says something terrible to the other and there's this second pause before the music. It's a short little stinger to make a joke funnier to me. But like above, I don't mind jingles and often enjoy them, so yea I can understand a dude who doesn't like them going 'agh this blows'.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Not everyone does the "abrupt cut to jungle" as well as You Look Nice Today.

Quite honestly, it's unfair to expect them to.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
If you love jingles and music stings before one-liners, you'll love The Todd Glass Show!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Nemo posted:

If you love jingles and music stings before one-liners, you'll love The Todd Glass Show!

And going to breaks, don't forget going to breaks.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Eltoasto posted:

And going to breaks, don't forget going to breaks.

Whenever I'm joking around with friends I so badly want to just turn to no one in particular and say "we'll take a break, we'll be right back", but none of them listen to the show so I'd just look insane.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
My favorite Complete Guide To Everything cutoff was when Tim suddenly interrupts with "Did you just loving wink at me" Tom "No..." *music*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

My favorite Complete Guide To Everything cutoff was when Tim suddenly interrupts with "Did you just loving wink at me" Tom "No..." *music*

It's that or the one where Tim goes "Well that'd be why you don't get invited anywhere" and you kinda hear Tom start to say something before *music*

• Locked thread