Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

If there was no money involved, there is something to be said for Chris G not picking his poo poo. He doesn't have a great excuse for not picking the Ryu team, but his Morrigan/Doom team is almost impossible to train for without playing him or counterpicking a particular team for easy anti-Morrigan tech. If he can keep that team in his pocket until Top 8s it's almost a free win for another couple of months since Marlin Pie is the only one who's had enough games to figure it out, right? Playing a guy who he sees at the Next Level tournies in a long exhibition might not be worth it when the team could win him money later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Fellblade posted:

Assuming you have Nova still alive just tag his ground bounce onto the end of your combo after otg shield slash instead of Charging Star and they will fall right into it.

I run Cap/Sent/Nova and use his wall bounce assist for just the situation, though it's only something I really do to disrespect people because his level 3 does about the same damage as Charging Star then DHC.

Do you have a video of this in action?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Do you have a video of this in action?

Afraid not, nothing to record with properly at the moment and the only tournament I played in (2nd :smug:) was the only one they didn't record. It might help to know that I don't do the advanced Cap combo because it does like 50k more damage and I have never seen a single person hit it reliably because it's too reliant on screen position, so if you are trying to get it on the end of that I wouldn't know how.

Edit:

Ok, just went in game to test it:

My basic combo is L M H S, j.M H d+H S, land, QCF+L dash H S, j.M H d+H S, Hyper Charging Star for 705k. DHC into Plasa Storm makes it 906k, DHC again into Nova Force makes it 1.1m.

For level 3 it's is L M H S, j.M H d+H S, land, QCF+L dash H S, j.M H d+H S, Assist, QCF+L, Level 3 for 918k.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 14, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I just picked this game up last week and I have a question... what do you look for when putting together a team? I see how the different characters and their assists can compliment each other, but I don't know what to look for. Wolverine/X23/Ghost Rider and Sentinel/Doom seem to be a good pairing (still trying to narrow down which of those players I prefer), but the third slot is a revolving door at the moment.

When putting together a team I first choose a point character. Pick someone you want to play. Almost any character can work on point, though a few are accepted as better when placed elsewhere. e.g. Frank West who generally goes second so that people can DHC into him and level him up or Phoenix who you put last so that she can get 5 meters. That's not to say you couldn't put either of those characters on point and be effective.

Once you've chosen a point character take a look at their weaknesses and choose assists to help cover those weaknesses up. Some characters have problems controlling the air, like Jill and Iron Fist. Some characters are good at controlling mid-screen but are bad at fullscreen, like Cap. Some characters need help comboing off of throws. Some characters need help to create mixups and 50/50's or to make their blockstrings safe.

Generally you'll want an assist to help in the neutral game and another assist to shore up a specific part of your point character's game. Something to help in the neutral game means something that can give you a bit of lockdown or space control so that you can force an advantageous situation at a time when neither you or your opponent has an advantage. Sentinel α (drones), any of Doctor Doom's assists, Akuma β (tatsu), Frank West α (shopping cart), and Taskmaster α (horizontal arrows) are all commonly used neutral game assists. There are plenty of others, those are just some common options. Some people really like Arthur's β (daggers), especially when powered up with gold armor.

An example of an assist to cover a point character's weakness is Dr. Doom with Strider γ (Vajra). Dr. Doom has a lot of trouble attacking characters who are in the air above him or super jumping up-back. Strider's Vajra assist teleports Strider directly above the opponent no matter where they are, then kicks them to the ground where Dr. Doom can pick them up and combo them. Even if they block Strider they'll get knocked back to the ground, shoring up one of Doom's weaknesses.

When selecting your second and third characters it helps if the third character's assist can work for the second character. No character is as good alone as with assists, so don't fret if your anchor isn't that amazing. Most characters can overcome the weaknesses that come with being alone by using x-factor. There are some anchors that people favor. Dark Wesker (lvl 3 xfactor Wesker w/ his glasses off for the extra speed boost), xfactor 3 Dark Phoenix (though not as much in Ultimate as in Vanilla), and xfactor 3 Strider with Ouroboros activated. Dark Wesker is really fast and hits like a truck, Dark Phoenix in xf3 is nigh unkillable and can run through a whole team in seconds, and xf3 Strider with orbs is fast and does a ton of chip, nearly guaranteeing a kill if your opponent doesn't have xfactor left.

There are, of course, other ways to construct teams. Justin Wong famously won a tournament with Iron Fist/Wolverine/Akuma, a team with two point characters (Iron Fist and Wolverine) and one assist (Akuma). You might want to run a marvel 2 style battery/user/assist team where the point does meterless damage to build meter for the second member, then dies or DHCs out.

The general goal of team construction is to enable a winning strategy. That could mean setting up for a point character beefed up with great assists, it could mean attempting to build meter for Dark Phoenix, or it could mean something in between. Figure out something that lets you use characters you like.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
There's some pretty ballin new shinkiro art up on the capcom blog:

now featuring Squinty Magneto

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I'm glad to see he's finally moving past his "Clooney" phase.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

AXE COP posted:

It's bizarre to me that they would save really good quality artwork like this until 4 months after release after drowning us in terrible Marvel interpretations of Zero and Morrigan

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I think that's the same artist who did the cover art. She-Hulk has that weird anime butterface look like Phoenix does on the cover.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AXE COP posted:

Oh my god Haggar is just so happy to be there. :haw:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Boxman posted:

Oh my god Haggar is just so happy to be there. :haw:

Somehow Ammy has the exact same expression.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

AXE COP posted:

I got this on a poster at the recent fight club thing they had for UMVC3 on the Vita here in Austin. It's also double sided, its pretty good!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think that's the same artist who did the cover art. She-Hulk has that weird anime butterface look like Phoenix does on the cover.
Yes, they're both by Toshiaki Mori/Shinkiro.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE20AlzYXHw#!&t=3m21

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Happy belated Valentine's Day, folks

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
Shouldn't that be X-23?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Chocolate America posted:

Shouldn't that be X-23?

They both say it. Vergil when he does the pizza slicer move.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
X-23 saying it still would have been funnier.

She's like the angriest chef in the world.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Hey speaking of Vergil, what's the mad damage DHC off a hard knockdown super again?

Nova Air Combo -> Hard Knockdown xx DHC Vergil Swords -> 623B, 623B

What do I do after the double 623Bs if I don't have the meter for another super?

My friends have already stopped falling for the 3C, C Teleport, super jump airthrow reset.

edit: found the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3H4Du33E0

Okay... I still need help transcribing the vergil part.

My guess (at work cant check):

Swords, 623B, 623B, Stinger, release round trip, 2C xx 214A, 2C xx 214A, 3C, Super?

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 16, 2012

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Huh, I just noticed that Galactus has square pupil lights.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That's true to the design in the comics...at least more recently.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Elephunk posted:

Hey speaking of Vergil, what's the mad damage DHC off a hard knockdown super again?

Nova Air Combo -> Hard Knockdown xx DHC Vergil Swords -> 623B, 623B

What do I do after the double 623Bs if I don't have the meter for another super?

My friends have already stopped falling for the 3C, C Teleport, super jump airthrow reset.

edit: found the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3H4Du33E0

Okay... I still need help transcribing the vergil part.

My guess (at work cant check):

Swords, 623B, 623B, Stinger, release round trip, 2C xx 214A, 2C xx 214A, 3C, Super?

You can add a 2C after the 2nd lunar.

So it should look like:
623AB (Hold A), 623B, 623B, 2C, 6C, rrt, 2C xx 236A, 2C xx 623B, 3C, 236BC

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't play this game, so I never know when poo poo is useful, but have a neat corner loop with X-Factor Doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHqwmuGTiOI&feature=youtu.be

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

GoodCleanFun posted:

You can add a 2C after the 2nd lunar.

So it should look like:
623AB (Hold A), 623B, 623B, 2C, 6C, rrt, 2C xx 236A, 2C xx 623B, 3C, 236BC

Nice. Big tournament this weekend and I've decided on thursday night to switch out Nova/Frank/Wesker for Nova/Vergil/Wesker.

Not that I havent played Vergil tons before, but I'm new to this DHC glitch-esque combo.

Hit that grind tonight!

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Dias posted:

I don't play this game, so I never know when poo poo is useful, but have a neat corner loop with X-Factor Doom.

Thanks! Gonna learn that.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dias posted:

It looks kind of like Magneto's x-factor hypergrav loop, good for styling on someone but there are better ways to do raw damage.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

The Rokstar posted:

It looks kind of like Magneto's x-factor hypergrav loop, good for styling on someone but there are better ways to do raw damage.

Might be a better meter builder though? Not that Doom has any trouble with that.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Hi guys.

Wouldn't you love to play a game exactly like Marvel 3, only with gems?

Yeah, I wouldn't either. Instead, here's this!

:siren: Goons Game Poorly Online Tournament on Wednesday (2/29): X-Men vs Street Fighter :siren:

Forward your ports before the tournament starts. Do it. If you don't and it takes you 20 minutes before you figure out whether you can receive/send challenges you will be DQ'd.

da gently caress is dis game

It's like Marvel vs Capcom, except awesome because IT HAS GEMSI lied it doesn't have gems.

how da gently caress do i lurn dis game

SRK has a wiki for it.

dis game is 2hard4me

Stop whining, you have two whole weeks to become the best XvSF player!

i didn't ask for dis!

YES YOU DID NOW SIGN UP

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 16, 2012

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

Hi guys.

Wouldn't you love to play a game exactly like Marvel 3, only with gems?

Yeah, I wouldn't either. Instead, here's this!

:siren: Goons Game Poorly Online Tournament on Wednesday (2/29): X-Men vs Street Fighter :siren:

Forward your ports before the tournament starts. Do it. If you don't and it takes you 20 minutes before you figure out whether you can receive/send challenges you will be DQ'd.

da gently caress is dis game

It's like Marvel vs Capcom, except awesome because IT HAS GEMS.

how da gently caress do i lurn dis game

SRK has a wiki for it.

dis game is 2hard4me

Stop whining, you have two whole weeks to become the best XvSF player!

i didn't ask for dis!

YES YOU DID NOW SIGN UP

XvSF doesnt have gems. That's MSH. You still picked the best game though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Elephunk posted:

XvSF doesnt have gems. That's MSH. You still picked the best game though.

Hell yeah thanks for picking wednesday which is basically the only weekday where I'm free at night. WE IN THERE.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did Hidden Missiles get a buff recently or something? 8 out of my last 10 fights have had Doom on assist with HM.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Heath posted:

Did Hidden Missiles get a buff recently or something? 8 out of my last 10 fights have had Doom on assist with HM.

Nope, it's just one of the best assists in the game.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Zero with hidden missiles assist is the stupidest poo poo I swear to god.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

hidden missiles assist is the stupidest poo poo I swear to god.

This totally isn't an emptyquote.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anybody with hidden missiles is the stupidest poo poo ever.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

Its not even a 50/50. Its more like a 90/10.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Jmcrofts posted:

Hell yeah thanks for picking wednesday which is basically the only weekday where I'm free at night. WE IN THERE.

Well poo poo, Wednesday night is the only night of the week that I can NOT make it. :mad:

Have fun everyone! Nobody will get to body my godlike Ken/Charlie team. :smug:

edit: Yes I know that team is trash but it's what I bodied everyone at my local arcade with back in the day. One of the reasons being that if you can land their team super it's one of the most damaging in the game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How the hell are you even supposed to counter it? It seems to be impossible to punish because you pretty much HAVE to guard the whole time.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Heath posted:

How the hell are you even supposed to counter it? It seems to be impossible to punish because you pretty much HAVE to guard the whole time.

Teleports and/or making good use of the time between the missiles hit you and when the assist is available to be called again.

Also once the missiles get up in the air they track you so if you can figure out the timing on when they're about to come down you can pushblock or whatever to give yourself some space and then call an assist and dash in so when the missiles come down they hit behind you.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Heath posted:

If you're a character whos bnb takes you a long distance horizontally like spider-man or taskmaster they'll fall harmlessly behind you. Or if you have a beam super or something just chill out and super whenever you hear him get called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Jmcrofts posted:

Why did they give my favorite character my least favorite assist...

• Locked thread