Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm not a big fan of him constantly having to cover his lies, that's pretty played out, but The Law Offices of Young and Not and the whole dinner with the cafe girl and her boyfriend were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I like to give new shows a trial period before I see if I'm into them. I've been through about five episodes of that show, and I'm just not feeling it. Which sucks because my girlfriend and I were looking for a new show to marathon and this one has GOB and TOBIAS in it!

On the other hand, we started watching Archer and she loving loves it, which confused the hell outta me at first because she couldn't stand Sealab or any of those other shows. So I looked it up and it has even MORE Arrested Development alumni.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Nosferatu Man posted:

[REC] is one of my favorite horror films ever but I thought [REC]2 was a pile of dung. Awkward dialog, camera movements, extraneous plot developments.. pretty much ever issue with "found footage" that [REC] managed to avoid.

My biggest complaint with [REC] was the fact I spent a few years in the news industry and I just wanted to poke my eyes out with a hot poker whenever she was acting like a reporter. It's not as bad midway through but at the beginning it was just awful.

Did anyone else have a bunch of the unavailable stuff from their DVD queue recently show up? I had about 30 DVDs in that saved section just show up about a week ago.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rough Lobster posted:

I like to give new shows a trial period before I see if I'm into them. I've been through about five episodes of that show, and I'm just not feeling it. Which sucks because my girlfriend and I were looking for a new show to marathon and this one has GOB and TOBIAS in it!

On the other hand, we started watching Archer and she loving loves it, which confused the hell outta me at first because she couldn't stand Sealab or any of those other shows. So I looked it up and it has even MORE Arrested Development alumni.
To be fair, Archer is a bit more... sane... than Sealab and Frisky Dingo. Well, maybe sane isn't the best way to put it. A bit less weird? More mainstream? One of those.

Not saying it's an inferior show (it's not, it's superior), but I'd say it definitely appeals to a larger audience.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'll second that, Sealab was pretty hit or miss for me, and I never really got into Frisky Dingo (only caught a couple episodes though). The first episode of Archer sold me on how brilliant it was. Oh H Jon Benjamin. :allears:

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Sealab was anchored almost entirely by Harry Goz as Captain Murphy - it's damned hard to get a role right that demands you be both a commanding presence and a childlike dimwit, but he pulled it off every single episode. Lifted the whole show off the Adult Swim noise floor.

Frisky Dingo was Archer's real dry run, structurally, and its ridiculous material fits in much more organically than Sealab. Worth seeing if you haven't.

Shadley Puffin fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 9, 2012

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Shadley Puffin posted:

Sealab was anchored almost entirely by Harry Goz as Captain Murphy - it's damned hard to get a role right that demands you be both a commanding presence and a childlike dimwit, but he pulled it off every single episode. Lifted the whole show off the Adult Swim noise floor.

Frisky Dingo was Archer's real dry run, structurally, and its ridiculous material fits in much more organically than Sealab. Worth seeing if you haven't.

Frisky Dingo is the best show to ever grace television.

I named my cat after Simone the angry prostitute/drug addict.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.
Hey just stopping by to say thanks to the thread for some great recommendations. Recently watched Timecrimes, Triangle, and both seasons of Party Down and loved all of them! I'm actually pretty bummed now that Party Down was cancelled. Some of the awkward moments reminded me of when I saw the first few seasons of The Office (in a good way).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

GonSmithe posted:

To be fair, Archer is a bit more... sane... than Sealab and Frisky Dingo. Well, maybe sane isn't the best way to put it. A bit less weird? More mainstream? One of those.

Not saying it's an inferior show (it's not, it's superior), but I'd say it definitely appeals to a larger audience.
Archer is structured and episodic. Sealab got almost totally random really fast and Frisky Dingo, while much more structured, was basically a movie broken into little chunks.

If you have a disc plan I strongly recommend Frisky Dingo. If only to get to (mild season 2 spoiler if only because you see who's currently alive):

http://video.adultswim.com/frisky-dingo/ballocaust.html

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Well, speak of the devil. Tonight's Archer had a very special Frisky Dingo crossover in it!

Now back to your regularly scheduled stuff that IS on streaming.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys, this is a general netflix question for those of you who have the DVD service:

Is there anyway to switch between the account profiles without having to log out?

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

So Netflix seems to down on the PS3 for me. Anyone else get this problem?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Opus125 posted:

Hey guys, this is a general netflix question for those of you who have the DVD service:

Is there anyway to switch between the account profiles without having to log out?
When you say account profiles, do you mean different accounts, or do you mean DVD queue vs Instant queue?

If the answer is option B, just use the tabs:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shadley Puffin posted:

There were some good late ones, like "Shrabster" and "Moby Sick".

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

idoliside posted:

So Netflix seems to down on the PS3 for me. Anyone else get this problem?

You probably need to update your software. There was a new version a day or two ago, and it broke the Netflix app until I updated.

madrappin
Dec 5, 2006

Solar, wind power, and knives! Green Team!

Harminoff posted:

Netflix's first original series Lilyhammer just went up. No idea what it's like, but pretty awesome that they put up all episodes at once.

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Lilyhammer/70221438

This is definitely not getting enough love. I watched the entire series in one sitting.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

madrappin posted:

This is definitely not getting enough love. I watched the entire series in one sitting.

Yeah I will third this. The whole thing just works for me, it probably helps that I don't mind subtitles. I feel like the series is a quote and gif material goldmine and I am suprised I haven't seen more talk about it here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone have any suggestions for future-themed science shows/documentaries? I want something that's about terraforming or living in space or similar.

e:This episode of NOVA is pretty good so far, but a bit lightweight.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 13, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for future-themed science shows/documentaries? I want something that's about terraforming or living in space or similar.
This is past-themed science doc but pretty good if you haven't seen it yet:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/When_We_Left_Earth_The_NASA_Missions/70218722?trkid=2361637

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I saw that I had Hard Target sitting in my instant que for whatever reason. I decided to give the Van Damme vehicle a try.

For those wondering, that is Wilford Brimley riding a horse away from an explosion, waving a bow in the air and screaming. This is more believable than the idea of him being Jean Claude Van Damme's uncle, and them both being born on the bayou. Movie had Lance Henriksen as the badguy and was pretty watchable. Not great, but there's some really cool camerawork out of pretty much nowhere thanks to John Woo. It's his first stateside release.

SRM fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 13, 2012

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SRM posted:

So I saw that I had Hard Target sitting in my instant que for whatever reason. I decided to give the Van Damme vehicle a try.

For those wondering, that is Wilford Brimley riding a horse away from an explosion, waving a bow in the air and screaming. This is more believable than the idea of him being Jean Claude Van Damme's uncle, and them both being born on the bayou. Movie had Lance Henriksen as the badguy and was pretty watchable. Not great, but there's some really cool camerawork out of pretty much nowhere thanks to John Woo. It's his first stateside release.

Yes, and for a movie set in the New Orleans area it featured the obligatory shootout sequence in a darkened warehouse full of Mardi Gras floats. What's not to like?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Zwabu posted:

Yes, and for a movie set in the New Orleans area it featured the obligatory shootout sequence in a darkened warehouse full of Mardi Gras floats. What's not to like?

And doves EVERYWHERE

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

QPZIL posted:

And doves EVERYWHERE

I'm pretty sure we talked about this earlier in the thread, but I cannot stress enough how incredibly this shootout ends. Easily the defining moment of Lance Henriksen's career.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have been watching Monarchy (U.K.) for the past few nights when I am about to go to bed.

It's essentially historical about the rise and fall of the monarchy in the UK. As and American, its pretty interesting- but only as a chill way to wind down after a long day (and it helps me fall asleep).

The narrator (historian) takes some getting used to. He's not your usual "oh hey, here's these things that happened". He's more of a "THIS. THIS IS. SERIOUS." kind of narrator.

I'm on the second season currently, and the style has changed. The narrator is less "I AM SO loving SERIOUS ABOUT THIS poo poo" and the actors (the people who portray people in the past and poo poo) stare into the camera for long periods of time while sitting on the throne and it is freaking me out.

I'd still recommend it if you're interested in random history and want to go to sleep.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

SRM posted:

Sam Raimi was also constantly on set because Universal were worried that Woo would prove to be a liability in his début. As far as I know he didn't need to step in, but Woo's initial cut was rejected and Van Damme took over. I know waaaaaaay too much about the films of Van Damme.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

I have been watching Monarchy (U.K.) for the past few nights when I am about to go to bed.

It's essentially historical about the rise and fall of the monarchy in the UK. As and American, its pretty interesting- but only as a chill way to wind down after a long day (and it helps me fall asleep).

The narrator (historian) takes some getting used to. He's not your usual "oh hey, here's these things that happened". He's more of a "THIS. THIS IS. SERIOUS." kind of narrator.

I'm on the second season currently, and the style has changed. The narrator is less "I AM SO loving SERIOUS ABOUT THIS poo poo" and the actors (the people who portray people in the past and poo poo) stare into the camera for long periods of time while sitting on the throne and it is freaking me out.

I'd still recommend it if you're interested in random history and want to go to sleep.

Haha, holy poo poo the narrator is so animated. The way he jerks his head when he's talking cracks me up.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 13, 2012

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Flippycunt posted:

Haha, holy poo poo the narrator is so animated. The way he jerks his head when he's talking cracks me up.

If you think listening to him with visual stimulation is bad, try getting one of his audio books so you're essentially just listening to him drone on. I mean, David Starkey writes some great history books but he shouldn't be talking.

That said, if you can get past (or used to) him talking Monarchy UK is absolutely fantastic.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm about to finish The Larry Sanders Show. It was a comedy series on HBO in the 90's starring Gary Shandling as a late-night talk show host. A small bit of each episode takes place on "The Larry Sanders" talk show, but most of it is the behind-the-scenes shenanigans.

Light comedy, some seriousness the last couple seasons, overall a quality show. Be prepared for Bill Clinton and OJ Simpson jokes in the pretend monologues.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

GORDON posted:

I'm about to finish The Larry Sanders Show. It was a comedy series on HBO in the 90's starring Gary Shandling as a late-night talk show host. A small bit of each episode takes place on "The Larry Sanders" talk show, but most of it is the behind-the-scenes shenanigans.

Light comedy, some seriousness the last couple seasons, overall a quality show. Be prepared for Bill Clinton and OJ Simpson jokes in the pretend monologues.

I watched the show last year and loved every minute of it. Not only is it a hilarious show with interesting characters, it's also a fun blast back in time to the early 90's. If you like Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm or similar shows you have to check this out.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Went on a mini documentary spree this weekend. Watched The Rock-afire Explosion and The Wild and Wonderful Whites. Both were interesting but depressing.

I also watched, and I don't think I've seen this mentioned before, Crips and Bloods: Made in America. It's by the director of Dogtown and the Z-Boys, and it looks at the history and causes of the Crips and Bloods war, a conflict which has claimed more lives than the North Ireland conflict. The only criticism I have is that the director seems to believe that no one will pay attention unless he has a jumpcut or visual effect or some other distracting thing every two seconds. But the meat of the documentary is very worth watching, about the rise of the black power movements and the subsequent targeted assassination and jailing campaign by the government that left a huge community of organized black men with no leaders and no hope for the future.

It also has one of the most arresting and visually interesting opening shots I've seen in awhile.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 14, 2012

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
The Rock-afire Explosion is basically Depressing: The Movie.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

foodfight posted:

The Rock-afire Explosion is basically Depressing: The Movie.

when he's talking about only drinking mountain dew, I noticed that he was drinking out of a Showbiz Pizza glass. And then the next shot they panned past his sink where he had about a hundred identical Showbiz Pizza glasses stacked up and I wanted to go take a warm shower.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
The creator of the Rock-a-Fire, Aaron, is a huge rear end in a top hat. He's tried suing fan sites numerous times, he pressured the director of the documentary to edit out the people he didn't like, despite these people reviving his stupid little robot animals.

Also if anyone wants an exercise in "how long can I go without rolling my eyes?" check out "Dive!" in which dirty hippies justify feeding their children food literally taken from a dumpster and go on a crusade against Trader Joe;s.

Mustached5thGrader fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 14, 2012

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Something tells me you might like Portlandia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuD1oDth6es

The first season is on streaming!

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Mustached5thGrader posted:

The creator of the Rock-a-Fire, Aaron, is a huge rear end in a top hat. He's tried suing fan sites numerous times, he pressured the director of the documentary to edit out the people he didn't like, despite these people reviving his stupid little robot animals.

That is not surprising. Even though the fans have some serious issues, at least they seemed be living productive lives in their own broken ways. The Mountain Dew guy is the Mountain Dew guy, but he was married and held down honest work. Aaron the inventor seems like a sad lonely person in his old worn down animatronics factory, surrounded by decay, hoping for the day that America turns back to animatronic entertainment.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

foodfight posted:

That is not surprising. Even though the fans have some serious issues, at least they seemed be living productive lives in their own broken ways. The Mountain Dew guy is the Mountain Dew guy, but he was married and held down honest work. Aaron the inventor seems like a sad lonely person in his old worn down animatronics factory, surrounded by decay, hoping for the day that America turns back to animatronic entertainment.

Let's not forget that he's married to someone half his age who is, as impossible as this seems, an animatronic children's band groupie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If nothing else, those beautiful insane people brought us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUXkUSJkhTc

And for that we should thank them. We should also be very afraid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Rock-A-Fire Explosion is everything I Think We're Alone Now wants to be, in both a bad way and a good way.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Rock-A-Fire Explosion is everything I Think We're Alone Now wants to be, in both a bad way and a good way.

should i watch ITWAN i want to but i cant bring myself to be as uncomfortable as I was during Guys and Dolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but if you like beer you should check out Beer Wars, a documentary about the beer industry. I saw it a year or two ago then it disappeared off of Netflix and now its back on there.

Its a look into the beer industry and the politics and bureaucracy involved in it. It really makes you want to cheer for the craft breweries when you realize how anti-competitive the big 3 are (well, big two now, since Miller bought Coors). That's if you weren't already.

The narrator is pretty annoying, but I think largely there's a lot of good info in the doc.

• Locked thread