Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Not an Anthem posted:

If anyone has a copy on them, can they scan or take a picture of Jeff Miller's article in Fine Woodworking in the current issue?

The one on router bases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

If anyone has a copy on them, can they scan or take a picture of Jeff Miller's article in Fine Woodworking in the current issue?

I posted a quasi-hack on how to get articles for free from that magazine, in this thread, a while back. basically:

- find title of article
- google search article title in quotes, put PDF fine woodworking at the end of it
- second link will most likely be to the PDF
- click on "quick view" in google (below the link) and you can print to PDF from there.

here's a sample

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 11, 2012

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I am wanting to get in to plant pressing and want to build a plant press instead of paying $60 or more for one. Problem is that there is not anywhere around here to get good wood since I live in a small West Texas town. Is there somewhere online I can get a small amount of oak or other wood to build the frame? Does anyone have any suggestions for wood besides oak?

This is what it looks like and mine will be very similar except probably with a few more cross pieces. It is going to be 12"x18".

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

A while back someone posted a link to a list of allergy/irritant woods. I've found a few lists just google searching but they seem inconsistent with each other.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for wood besides oak?

If you don't care how it looks just use 3/4" plywood or mdf.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
Unless you want the press it's self to be a presentation piece you could use boards off an old pallet or what ever you find lying in a field. You never know, You might find some sun dried wood with a lot more charactor than store bought stuff.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A couple cutting boards, a good heavy dictionary, and some old newspapers. I did it precisely that way and it worked great, now I have nice fall leaves in the light fixture in my kitchen.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
or a cople of sheets of plywood soaked in a bucket of water then bowed in with a bowling ball in the center and 4 Bolts, 4 Wing nuts 8 washers to apply the pressure to flatten your Poison Ivy leaves.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I do want it to look nice since it will be on my shelf with my books. Maybe I will just build one out of scraps that my dad has and then build a nicer one later. I have done it with just cardboard and heavy books, but this one needs to be mobile so I can take it in my truck when I travel. I think the problem is that I am 4 hours away from my dads tools so I have to much time to think in between projects.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bad Munki posted:

A couple cutting boards, a good heavy dictionary, and some old newspapers. I did it precisely that way and it worked great, now I have nice fall leaves in the light fixture in my kitchen.

Gotta have some pictures of this! I've been thinking of some way to integrate leaves into decorating for a while now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Blistex posted:

Gotta have some pictures of this! I've been thinking of some way to integrate leaves into decorating for a while now.

Here's a lovely pic of the lovely light fixture, but I think you can tell what's going on here. It looks nice in person. All I did was pop open the cover, lay some leaves on it, and then close it back up again.

e: pressed leaves, of course. If you don't press them well and get them good and dry, the heat from the lights will cause them to curl up a bit. Even with proper pressing, there may still be some curling anyhow. I think if your work place allowed it, you could also do this with those big flat panels they put over the lights in hung ceilings, and you could do it all over the place, so it'd be like you're standing under a pond or something. :3:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 13, 2012

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Elston Gunn posted:

The one on router bases?

No on the benchcrafted leg vice and wagon vice. Don't have it so I don't know whats in it.

Guitarchitect posted:

I posted a quasi-hack on how to get articles for free from that magazine, in this thread, a while back. basically:

- find title of article
- google search article title in quotes, put PDF fine woodworking at the end of it
- second link will most likely be to the PDF
- click on "quick view" in google (below the link) and you can print to PDF from there.

here's a sample

Agh its not really a full featured article its a review or something. Its this: http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=34587

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 13, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Circus Pies! posted:

...you could use boards off an old pallet...

That was exactly my first thought but he didn't mention owning any tools and he would need to plane the boards.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
The wood really isn't anything load or stress bearing. You could use literally anything. However even in west texas I'm 99% sure you can buy some form of dimensional lumber, how the hell do people build things, clearly they don't all have home mills.

Look for a big box store like home depot, lowes, etc. You won't find pre-cut hardwood strips in those sizes so unless you have access to tools I'd just buy cheap strips of pre-cut wood for whatever applications they sell them and glue them together.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

wormil posted:

That was exactly my first thought but he didn't mention owning any tools and he would need to plane the boards.

I don't own poo poo for woodworking tools, but my father has tools and space to work. I know he got a plane a little while back, but I don't know the condition of the blades or the machine since it is an old model. I will have to ask him.

Not an Anthem posted:

The wood really isn't anything load or stress bearing. You could use literally anything. However even in west texas I'm 99% sure you can buy some form of dimensional lumber, how the hell do people build things, clearly they don't all have home mills.

The problem is that the wood they do have is usually lovely wood. Lots of warped boards and stuff like that. Most people doing big building projects have the wood shipped in from out of town. The nearest place my dad and I have found decent wood is an hour away.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 13, 2012

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

The problem is that the wood they do have is usually lovely wood. Lots of warped boards and stuff like that. Most people doing big building projects have the wood shipped in from out of town. The nearest place my dad and I have found decent wood is an hour away.

Chris Schwarz and lots of FWW editors made the recent flux of moxon benches out of home depot southern yellow pine. If you look through it you will find straight pieces. Just don't buy cupped/warped pieces. If you want to use nicer wood buy dimensional lumber and rip strips off an edge after jointing. What you're making doesn't need anything complex, although you could certainly make it complex for the sake of having fun.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

although you could certainly make it complex for the sake of having fun.

That is kind of why I am making and not buying. I will check the local lumber yard since there are no Lowes or Home Depots out here. I know a guy who works there so I can probably get in the back and dig through all the wood.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Not an Anthem posted:

No on the benchcrafted leg vice and wagon vice. Don't have it so I don't know whats in it.

Agh its not really a full featured article its a review or something. Its this: http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=34587

Here's that article, it doesn't say much more than Benchcrafted has on their website.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

wormil posted:

I thought about that after posting and realized that if he had no tools I might as well have told him to grow some trees to make the lumber or use some magic.

The cheap o method that I remember from grade school is to put your leaves or flowers in a book with 10 to 20 pages between each specimen then putting every other book you have on top of the first one.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

That is kind of why I am making and not buying. I will check the local lumber yard since there are no Lowes or Home Depots out here. I know a guy who works there so I can probably get in the back and dig through all the wood.

My local lumber yard charges a very small fee to hand-pick your lumber from the piles, so it's at least worth asking.

I was going to suggest some landscape stakes, but if you don't have a HD or Lowes nearby then they might be a little harder to find. HD has 12? packs of them in 1, 2 or 3 feet I think and they're only $4-6 oer pack. Cut the points off and with a little bit of sanding they would work.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Atticus_1354 posted:

There are places from which you can mail order lumber. I have never done it and the only place I have any familiarity with is Wall Lumber in North Carolina, only because it was recommended to me often enough.

http://www.walllumber.com

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Elston Gunn posted:

Here's that article, it doesn't say much more than Benchcrafted has on their website.

I just wanted it because that's me :ssh:

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Does anyone have any recommendations for wood filler?
I have a large number of small nail holes in some 3/4 oak plywood I want to fill. I do not intend to stain it, but I do plan to poly it. I found some Elmers wood filler that is supposed to be color matched, but the reviews on that stuff are overwhelmingly negative.

I may end up doing the sawdust + wood glue method, but my experience is that usually ends up a lot darker and I was hoping to better match the color of the wood.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I've found a blonde/super blonde shellac to work better for me with the dust/glue method.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Got the 4-piece Narex chisel set in from Highland woodworking in today. Looking forward to getting these things sharp! These are the first set of chisels I haven't rescued from the bottom of a toolbox. Got some of the long rolls of 3m sandpaper to finally lap the bottoms of my #4 and #5 planes too.

What are the go-to 14" bandsaws in the less than a grand range? I think I've decided a bandsaw would make more sense than a tablesaw in a basement shop. The kinds of cuts I keep wanting to do but have issue doing with a circular saw right now are rip cuts. I also have access to a forest, so free logs sound pretty good too.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I think you can still get a Polar Grizzly 17" for less than or right at a grand delivered. If you can swing it, you should go for the 17". If considerably less than a grand the GO555X is a nice 14".

Got my turquoise in a bit ago, but nothing was quite dry yet. This hackberry bowl was close enough to a stable weight that I went for it. I like how it turned out. Right when I finished sanding it and was walking with it from the shop to the house to grab the Ren wax someone stopping by saw it in my hand and claimed it. Has a low satin sheen but the camera wasn't picking it up today.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

swampface posted:

Got the 4-piece Narex chisel set in from Highland woodworking in today. Looking forward to getting these things sharp! These are the first set of chisels I haven't rescued from the bottom of a toolbox. Got some of the long rolls of 3m sandpaper to finally lap the bottoms of my #4 and #5 planes too.

What are the go-to 14" bandsaws in the less than a grand range? I think I've decided a bandsaw would make more sense than a tablesaw in a basement shop. The kinds of cuts I keep wanting to do but have issue doing with a circular saw right now are rip cuts. I also have access to a forest, so free logs sound pretty good too.

I got the same set and I like them so far. I havent' gotten around to working on the backs of them yet. The handles are hideous though.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I agree with the grizzly G0513p bandsaw suggestion. I love mine.

You'll need a jointer for the edges of anything you rip on it though. Or a hand plane at the bare minimum.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

I recently inherited some tools that belonged to my Great-Great-Great-Uncle who died in 1895. There's a smoothing plane, moulding plane, shoulder/rebate plane, drawer bottom plane, spokeshave, chisel, gouge, and a cool double marking gauge. The smoothing plane and moulding plane are missing the original wedges so I'm going to try and make new ones. The cool thing is he had the same initials and last name as me, so they're already marked.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
loving all the lathing that's happening =)

Wormil, we're near eachother we should try and hangout sometime.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Elston Gunn posted:

I got the same set and I like them so far. I havent' gotten around to working on the backs of them yet. The handles are hideous though.

I got them all flattened and sharp last night. Didn't take too much effort, I've definitely seen worse! Haven't gotten to use them in actual work yet though. Maybe I'll practice a bunch of dovetails this weekend to give them a go.

Thanks for the bandsaw suggestions. I like the looks of the G0513p. When it's warm out I have access to a jointer and planer in a garage shop, and when it's cold I'll hand plane stuff. Better that then not doing anything. Time to sell off some musical instruments to buy tools!

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Got some more inlay material in today.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ChaoticSeven posted:

Got some more inlay material in today.

would love to see some photo-documentation of your process, really curious to see how you go about crushing and inlaying these.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Nothing too scientific. Just a hammer and a steel plate in the bottom of a sterilite container to catch all the flying debris. I've only done the one, but you just smash up the material till you get pieces small enough to fit in the channel you create, then make some smaller pieces to fill in around the bigger pieces and finally some stuff closer to ground coffee and dust to fill the rest. CA glue is the binder I used.

Tried cutting the result with my Crown Pro PM gouge but it didn't do anything but dull the edge and start bumping off it. So I used sandpaper all the way down. I did get a MasterCarver flex shaft system today as well, and I'll try some diamond burrs to hog off the raised portion next time. It should work unless the CA gunks up the burrs or something.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ChaoticSeven posted:

Nothing too scientific. Just a hammer and a steel plate in the bottom of a sterilite container to catch all the flying debris. I've only done the one, but you just smash up the material till you get pieces small enough to fit in the channel you create, then make some smaller pieces to fill in around the bigger pieces and finally some stuff closer to ground coffee and dust to fill the rest. CA glue is the binder I used.

Tried cutting the result with my Crown Pro PM gouge but it didn't do anything but dull the edge and start bumping off it. So I used sandpaper all the way down. I did get a MasterCarver flex shaft system today as well, and I'll try some diamond burrs to hog off the raised portion next time. It should work unless the CA gunks up the burrs or something.

I just found this video which made it pretty clear, really rad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qPWU-96mY4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Not quite the same, but I've tried applying a file to CA glue on the lathe and you might not be too pleased with the results, as it does tend to gum up pretty quickly. The best advice I can give is to keep the speed extreeeeeeemely low and be gentle. As soon as any gets caught up, it just makes the rest so much worse. Of course, being that yours will be heavily infused with other stuff, you might find it not near as big a pain in the rear end as I did. :)

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

I know you guys know this but for anyone else CA glue will gently caress you up with prolonged use if you don't pay attention and wear some sort of mask. The accelerator even moreso. Also never use it with Nitrile gloves unless you want flaming hands. It really is the best though. I've been turning lots of weird punky wood and it's really helpful

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Yeah, a few years of using it unprotected and you can develop serious sensitivities to the vapors it puts off as it cures. Personally, I use a 3M mask with organic filters for finishing now. Never catch a wiff of odor unless my mask gets a little crooked and breaks seal.

This piece seemed to be done moving and losing weight so I reflattened the bottom and sanded/buffed/waxed it today. It went pretty oval on me. I think I'll turn more pieces this thin just because of how quick the turn around is. Persimmon.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's gotta be some remarkable bark to be able to have chunks hanging that far out without just getting knocked off by the gouge as they come around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Sharp gouge and sheer scraping go far. Found one of the funniest videos on Youtube today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is4uRNjGsb0