Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Stoptech does make good lines though. A coated line also lasts a lot longer.

I had a friend blow out a non-coated goodridge line, luckily it was going 2mph backing out of the shop, so he noticed right away and we changed it right there.

I should probably take a close look at my lines fairly soon, they're a couple years old and not coated.

Also, techna-fit makes good stuff in-house in torrace, and their lines tend to be less expensive than stoptech and goodridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

DOT legal stainless steel brake lines cannot be visually inspected as easily as plain old rubber/plastic brake lines. Therefore, you'll want to replace them outright every couple of years, which no one does.

For the low price I can live with that. Are they good otherwise? Safe and worth the money? I assume DOT approved means good enough. I don't track (yet) but do auto cross in hot dry weather. (11 STi btw)

Edit: Jamal, I think the ones I got are coated. I also think StopTech only makes one kit for the STi and RallySportDirect told me they were coated and what not.

If a DOT approved aftermarket line fails causing a car accident, will insurance gently caress me?

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 10, 2012

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What are the good places online for replacement OEM parts? Subarugenuineparts wants $12 to ship an air filter, and Rockauto doesn't seem to have OEM parts.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

I'll just go ahead and post the build link which has way more info and pics.

The guy is doing pretty well considering and I think it's going to look pretty rad.

Don't know why he's getting so much hate.

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/build-diaries/13634-zonda-replica-kitcar-build.html

You're probably not going to find free shipping from a discount online dealer, so just make your order is worthwhile to make the savings worth it.

Otherwise just buy one locally if it's cheaper than SubaruGenuine + $12.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Why would anyone want to buy an OEM air filter?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I had a straight cut 4.50 final drive gear in my Focus rally car, which I ended up daily driving for 5 months. It was so loud on the highway that I had to put the headphones on to keep from going deaf. Though, I'm sure half of that was having no interior.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Lord Gaga posted:

Why would anyone want to buy an OEM air filter?

yeah, go to pep-boys, get purolator filter.

or, if you want to spend $50 on a cosworth or whatever, let me know.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

yeah, go to pep-boys, get purolator filter.

or, if you want to spend $50 on a cosworth or whatever, let me know.

Please tell me there isn't a $50 cosworth air filter.
If there is please tell me no one has bought one.

edit: Goddammit
http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=52&idproduct=379

It looks like the OEM one but blue. Woooo.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is the K&N filter a good stock replacement? Looks like you can wash and reuse it. Some people say you need a tune on a GR, others don't.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

blargle posted:

Is the K&N filter a good stock replacement? Looks like you can wash and reuse it. Some people say you need a tune on a GR, others don't.

I like it in my 02. I got noticible gains versus a very dirty FRAM :haw:

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
I can't deduce what "N/A" stands for in Subaru motors and it's bothering me. Anyone?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Mark Kidd posted:

I can't deduce what "N/A" stands for in Subaru motors and it's bothering me. Anyone?

Naturally aspirated. It means non turbo, its not a Subaru specific term.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I stick with dry paper or cotton filters over oiled or foam.

AEM makes a dryflow drop in that you can clean and re-use. What's funny is that I'd suggest that over a K&N and they are the same company, just slightly different filters.

also one of my distributors has the aem filter in stock, they're around $40.

nm posted:

It looks like the OEM one but blue. Woooo.
K&N/AEM makes cosworth filters and intakes.
Stoptech makes cosworth brakes
arrow makes cosworth cranks
carillo, pankl, and one other place (starts with an S, can't remember) make cosworth rods
ACL makes cosworth bearings

shhhhh don't tell anyone.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 11, 2012

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

Naturally aspirated. It means non turbo, its not a Subaru specific term.

Figures, that's how I went wrong trying to get a definition. Thanks!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blargle posted:

Basically testing has shown that the K&N flows better but lets in more dirt. I think a lot more.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Basically testing has shown that the K&N flows better but lets in more dirt. I think a lot more.
There were also some issues locally with over-oiling fouling the MAF. Seems like it'd be a fine balance to hit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

I' m staring at that and wondering how the hell that's possible because K&N's do have a very good gravel rally reputation. Altho I tend to use OEM, never seen an issue with a K&N no matter how bad conditions got.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I ended up with the Purolator for like $12 on Amazon, since local dealers want $33 for the OEM filter.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Can someone verify the bleed sequence on a GR STis brakes?

PF-dr-df-pr is what I think, but I don't have a field service manual.

Also, do you bleed out the inner front or outer front first, or both at the same time?

I'll be using the motive power bleeder with the two catch bottles. I know that's a sucker thing to buy but I have no one to help and my gf has a 2010 obs so it should work on her car too.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

I' m staring at that and wondering how the hell that's possible because K&N's do have a very good gravel rally reputation. Altho I tend to use OEM, never seen an issue with a K&N no matter how bad conditions got.

Here is a test

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Can someone verify the bleed sequence on a GR STis brakes?

PF-dr-df-pr is what I think, but I don't have a field service manual.

Also, do you bleed out the inner front or outer front first, or both at the same time?

I'll be using the motive power bleeder with the two catch bottles. I know that's a sucker thing to buy but I have no one to help and my gf has a 2010 obs so it should work on her car too.

IIRC standard bleeding procedures call for you to bleed the brakes furthest from the reservoir first. So probably passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front. But I don't really think it'd cause catastrophic failure to do it in some other sequence.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Thats what I thought and have always done on other cars. Searching Google/nasioc it seems there is some method specific to the STi.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I feel like an rear end posting this among the WRX/STI chat, but anybody have tips for replacing the headlight bulbs on a 2004 Impreza TS? Both low beams went within a couple days of each other. I've got the battery out so I can get at it, but the drat bulb cover won't turn. Am I stuck driving in the daylight until I get it to the shop?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Nevermind.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 12, 2012

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Maybe the wire's supposed to be on the other side of the hose?

e: Originally I quoted your whole post ;)

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 12, 2012

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Yea i just unbolted the ABS pickup and dropped it on the other side. Awesome! :suicide:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just to double-check since I'm seeing weird contradictory information... the stock oil pressure galley plug and threads is 1/8" BSPT, right?

If so, I can't seem to find a tee for it on Summit.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's tax return Car parts shopping list time: I have an 02 WRX Wagon mostly Stage 2, intake pending.

So far sitting in the garage I have the following parts:
  • Whiteline Steering Rack Bushing Kit
  • Front control arm bushings
  • Front Sway Bar Bushings - 20mm
  • Rear Sway Bar Bushings - 20mm
  • Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
  • Manual transmission shifter stabilizer bushing
  • Two new engine mounts

I am ordering a set of KYB-GR2's since my stock shocks are at 120k+

Are one or two of the following worth tossing on for $20-40?
Options:
  • Whiteline Rear Subframe Bolt Kit for 02-07 WRX/STi
  • Whiteline Rear Differential Lock Kit for 02-07 WRX/STi

I'm also trying to find a stock SEDAN rear sway bar, or maybe a stock type 7 STi sway, or is that too stiff?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
If you dont mind spending the $$ replace both the front and rear sway bars with 24mm adjustable on different settings.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A 20mm rear bar will make a nice improvement. I like the kartboy subframe bolts over whiteline because they are slightly easier to install. How set are you on the gr2s? I would save that money and put it towards konis or something.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lord Gaga posted:

If you dont mind spending the $$ replace both the front and rear sway bars with 24mm adjustable on different settings.

jamal posted:

A 20mm rear bar will make a nice improvement. I like the kartboy subframe bolts over whiteline because they are slightly easier to install. How set are you on the gr2s? I would save that money and put it towards konis or something.

My budget for this round is about $500, I can get the GR2's for about $450, the AGX's are about $600, and how much for the konis?

It looks like thepartsbin has them for $480 for four.

This is a Daily Driver, so performance isn't HUGE, but better is always appreciated, until it becomes uncomfortable.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I assume he is referring to inserts which are around $700 for all 4.

EDIT: Hmm that The PartsBin seems like a good deal, are those the same adjustable ones?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lord Gaga posted:

I assume he is referring to inserts which are around $700 for all 4.

EDIT: Hmm that The PartsBin seems like a good deal, are those the same adjustable ones?

Don't know, and will those fit in the rears too, since wagons are Special?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

toplitzin posted:

My budget for this round is about $500, I can get the GR2's for about $450, the AGX's are about $600, and how much for the konis?

It looks like thepartsbin has them for $480 for four.

This is a Daily Driver, so performance isn't HUGE, but better is always appreciated, until it becomes uncomfortable.

yeah, they're about $700 a set.

You may want to contact them I'm fairly certain that's the pricing for one individual insert.
Front 8610-1350
rear 8610-1408

wagon/sedan doesn't matter because you're only replacing the damper and keep the stock strut housing. 02-03 and 04-07 are different in the rear though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 14, 2012

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

yeah, they're about $700 a set.

You may want to contact them I'm fairly certain that's the pricing for one individual insert.
Front 8610-1350
rear 8610-1408

wagon/sedan doesn't matter because you're only replacing the damper and keep the stock strut housing. 02-03 and 04-07 are different in the rear though.

According to the description that price is for a set of 2.
Edit: Nevermind reseller ratings has them at 1/5, nobody seems to get the right parts, etc. etc. I'll ask josh over at importimage race if he can get them.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 14, 2012

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Tire replacement question.

I'm needing to replace the tires on my '04 Forester XT with the stock 16" wheels. I live in Florida so snow handling is not a concern. I don't do autocross or anything other than daily driving with it.

From my stupid research via Tire Rack and other sources, I pretty much find that the following conditions exist:

- Cheap
- Quiet
- Last a decent amount of time
Now pick two.

Anyway, what is the popular tire these days that is a fair balance of the three? I'd like to stay under $600 out the door if humanly possible.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DAT RAM posted:

Tire replacement question.

I'm needing to replace the tires on my '04 Forester XT with the stock 16" wheels. I live in Florida so snow handling is not a concern. I don't do autocross or anything other than daily driving with it.

From my stupid research via Tire Rack and other sources, I pretty much find that the following conditions exist:

- Cheap
- Quiet
- Last a decent amount of time
Now pick two.

Anyway, what is the popular tire these days that is a fair balance of the three? I'd like to stay under $600 out the door if humanly possible.

I've got a set of Yokohama YK520's and they are nice and progressive about how they lose grip, rated for 60k miles and under $600 installed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

toplitzin posted:

According to the description that price is for a set of 2.
Edit: Nevermind reseller ratings has them at 1/5, nobody seems to get the right parts, etc. etc. I'll ask josh over at importimage race if he can get them.

In stock at my distributor btw.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

toplitzin posted:

I've got a set of Yokohama YK520's and they are nice and progressive about how they lose grip, rated for 60k miles and under $600 installed.

I found these:

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk580

Discount Tire has them for $121 each which seems reasonable. I found somewhere on a message board that this tire replaced the YK520 but can't confirm that beyond a message board posting. the 580 is supposed to last longer from what I found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearFusi0n
Apr 16, 2003
Uhhhhhmmmmmm
My '98 Legacy is slowly dripping large puddles of coolant all over my driveway. Can anybody help me diagnose this? It's dripping near the thermostat housing, but not from it. Jamal, I'd love to hear your input. :)

Video: http://youtu.be/KY_zo2IBbmY

Sorry about the vertical orientation, I edited the video in YouTube but it's taking its sweet time updating.