Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Boner Buffet posted:

graph used to be really mad but couldn't keep it up because he's probably a fine chum irl

im not angry at this thread yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

well going on romantic vacation time to catch up on my reading

*fumbles with stack of PADDs*

*gets tried as a war criminal*

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

why do they even bother pew-pewing with photon torpedoes and phasers?

send a huge barrage to take out the shield, then beam away the warp core and all weapons into space, or just beam in a bigass bomb.

if they can fit a bomb that kills several Klingons in a 6mm side cube, then welp.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ridgely_Fan posted:

the computers are made of bio neural gel packs

i think theyre spread all over the ship and take up a lot of mass and space

and sometimes they burn out and have to be replaced, or they get infected with space diseases

except when bob kelso needed a giant 'core' to shoot at so the computer had that for an episode

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

axolotl farmer posted:

send a huge barrage to take out the shield, then beam away the warp core and all weapons into space, or just beam in a bigass bomb.

if they can fit a bomb that kills several Klingons in a 6mm side cube, then welp.

eugh we've been over this it's the khitomer accords

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if there ever is actual space war it's going to be so boring, thousands of fist-sized spherical robots shooting sand traveling at relativistic speeds at each other or maybe invisible beams

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420578&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=128

that and the next page are the proest two pages of this thread

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

if there ever is actual space war it's going to be so boring, thousands of fist-sized spherical robots shooting sand traveling at relativistic speeds at each other or maybe invisible beams

there'll also be future WMDs that are just big asteroids with big-rear end engines parked light years away and if you don't comply we won't change their course

(this is the plot of charlie stross's "iron sunrise")

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also of the first mass effect dlc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and a favored weapon of the Dwellers, although they go all fractal with it and accelerate a small planet orbited by several small moons orbited by several small asteroids orbited by rocky debris orbited by smaller rocks orbited by gravel orbited by sand to 0.99999c towards your home world.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh so also in that episode with superslut troi, she cancels a session with an ensign janeway. i like to think this was katherine janeway, and by missing that session, she became a terrible captain.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

thats pretty awesome though. I heard some guy talking about this poo poo awhile ago, and he was saying poo poo about little robots that would zip over and spray epoxy or whatever onto spy satellite optics and junk.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

they could've done an episode of ds9 where sisko wants to do that but everyone tells him it's a horrible war crime but he just says gently caress you and does it anyway, and then all the fans would declare it the best episode ever and circlejerk about it constantly.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

SmokaDustbowl posted:

thats pretty awesome though. I heard some guy talking about this poo poo awhile ago, and he was saying poo poo about little robots that would zip over and spray epoxy or whatever onto spy satellite optics and junk.

that would be hella bad rear end

or a class of satelites that are cheap to build and launch that just grapple onto an enemy spy satelite, reverse thrust, and drag them back into the atmosphere

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

maniacdevnull posted:

that would be hella bad rear end

or a class of satelites that are cheap to build and launch that just grapple onto an enemy spy satelite, reverse thrust, and drag them back into the atmosphere

or just smash into them and keep going

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yes tiny battlebots in space would be way more badass than this

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

BonzoESC posted:

Nah man, that'd create so much garbage zipping around that could damage your own satellites

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

BonzoESC posted:

grapple onto one, smash into a second, if youve still got fuel left / arent completely broken go for a few more

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Nah man, that'd create so much garbage zipping around that could damage your own satellites

maybe if you're coming at them from the side instead of up (cya later shitlord welcome to deep space) or down (agh it burns)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

maniacdevnull posted:

grapple onto one, smash into a second, if youve still got fuel left / arent completely broken go for a few more

move the fuel and delicate parts to some kind of craft that just fires dumb ballistic projectiles

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ridgely_Fan posted:

and sometimes they burn out and have to be replaced, or they get infected with space diseases

that was one of the best parts of the worst show

TNG had dual (one for each hull) FTL cores the size of houses

they never seemed use the fact that in order to operate they needed a stable warp field in the plots though

bio neural gel packs with space-cheese disease was pretty funny

also gave a better sense of distributed computing than giant Cray-1 looking towers of power

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Boner Buffet posted:

remember that sniper rifle in the last season of ds9 that would transport a fired round through walls?

that episode was so terrible

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

qirex posted:

yes tiny battlebots in space would be way more badass than this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

that episode was so terrible
the writers must have played too much perfect dark

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

the writers must have played too much perfect dark

the farsight was such a useless gun. i think i used it once ever.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

TNG had dual (one for each hull) FTL cores the size of houses

the saucer section didnt have a warp core and couldnt go FTL on its own, they always had to ditch it somewhere then fly off in the stardrive section

also the modelers got pissed about how long it took to animate the seperation scenes so they prety much gave up on them after the first two eps

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

the farsight was such a useless gun. i think i used it once ever.
heh look at this scrub

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

also lol at all the enemy ai in perfect dark

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

maniacdevnull posted:

the saucer section didnt have a warp core and couldnt go FTL on its own, they always had to ditch it somewhere then fly off in the stardrive section

also the modelers got pissed about how long it took to animate the seperation scenes so they prety much gave up on them after the first two eps

i meant that the actual computer cores had FTL fields, i'm not digging up/scanning my old TNG technical manual but the electrons in the cores were accelerated FTL

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_%28NCC-1701-D%29_library_computer

this dumb article gives me nothing but enjoy the green on black images of warbirds and such

ALF

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

i meant that the actual computer cores had FTL fields, i'm not digging up/scanning my old TNG technical manual but the electrons in the cores were accelerated FTL

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_%28NCC-1701-D%29_library_computer

this dumb article gives me nothing but enjoy the green on black images of warbirds and such

ALF

why not put the computers in hyperspace where physics doesn't limit things like that and just use the warp cores to talk with them like in "the cultures" by ian banks from england

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
FTL optical computers = causality violation built into the system = no more NP-Hard issues

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BonzoESC posted:

there'll also be future WMDs that are just big asteroids with big-rear end engines parked light years away and if you don't comply we won't change their course

(this is the plot of charlie stross's "iron sunrise")

The titular temporal WMD was pretty :raise: as well...

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
where can i get a desktop theme like star trek LCARS, i'm building a fort and i want to turn it into the delta flyer

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

where can i get a desktop theme like star trek LCARS, i'm building a fort and i want to turn it into the delta flyer

go into a dark room, look into a mirror, and say "tom paris" three times

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Also the best SF computer was the one from "Snake-Eyes" in the Mirrowshades anthology.

quote:

At the armored heart of Athena Station sat a nest of concentric spheres. The inmost sphere measured five meters in diameter, was filled with inert liquid fluorocarbon, and contained a black plastic two-meter cube that sprouted thick black cables from every surface. Inside the cube was a fluid series of hologrammatic waveforms, fluctuating from nanosecond to nanosecond in a play of knowledge and intention: Aleph. It is constituted by an infinite regress of awarenesses--any thought becomes the object of another, in a sequence terminated only by the limits of the machine’s will.

So strictly speaking there is no Aleph, thus no subject or verb in the sentences with which it expressed itself to itself. Paradox, to Aleph one of the most interesting ot intellectual forms--a paradox marked the limits of a position, even of a mode of being, and Aleph was very interested in limits.

Aleph had observed George Jordan’s arrival, his tossing on his bunk, his interview with Charley Hughes. It luxuriated in these observations, in the pity, compassion, and empathy they generated, as Aleph toresaw the sea change that George would endure, its ecstasies, passions, pains. At the same time it telt with detachment the necessity for his pain, even to the point ot death.

Compassion/detachment, death/life …

Several thousand voices within Aleph laughed. George would soon find out about limits and paradoxes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Deuterieux posted:

go into a dark room, look into a mirror, and say "tom paris" three times

honestly, why would you want to gently caress around with your desktop in TYOOL 2012?

probably try and see if you can get some stardock running on win7, yeah

ubnoooootu

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

honestly, why would you want to gently caress around with your desktop in TYOOL 2012?

probably try and see if you can get some stardock running on win7, yeah

ubnoooootu

please dont screencap my desktop w/o my permission

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Mind Spew posted:

quoting for ban

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Ridgely_Fan posted:

No I'm pretty sure it's isolinear chips, the bioneural gelpacks were some stupid voyager bullshit that's just better ignored like everything else in that ball tumor of a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

NINbuntu 64 posted:

that episode was so hot

• Locked thread