Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Thanks bros. Yeah it's a lot of work and it pretty much sucks butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, your BAH will be recalculated to be 80% of what you are currently getting (10/12=83%).

You have a calc class that's worth 5 credits? Holy poo poo.

For some reason my university precal was 5 hours, made no sense whatsoever because it shouldve been more condensed. He might be at a place where they do calc 1-3 in 2 classes instead

I literally cant muster the give a gently caress to care about diff eq again god plain rear end math is so boring and needlessly difficult considering literally only one of my engineering classes has it as a prereq

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you're registering for summer term, apparently 7 hours is considered full time. Noice.

(Not that it matters to me, I'm taking 18)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

moker posted:

For some reason my university precal was 5 hours, made no sense whatsoever because it shouldve been more condensed. He might be at a place where they do calc 1-3 in 2 classes instead

I literally cant muster the give a gently caress to care about diff eq again god plain rear end math is so boring and needlessly difficult considering literally only one of my engineering classes has it as a prereq

When I was an undergrad calc 1 and 2 were both 5 hour classes. (1998)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

hannibal posted:

When I was an undergrad calc 1 and 2 were both 5 hour classes. (1998)

I much prefer how they are at my school, 3 3 hour classes. 5 days a week of math is too much :(

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

GD_American posted:

If you're registering for summer term, apparently 7 hours is considered full time. Noice.

(Not that it matters to me, I'm taking 18)

My summer quarter is only 9 weeks, and I will still need to take 12 hours to be considered full time. :( And it is going to be the same amount of material as a normal quarter, squished into 9 weeks instead of 12.

My college is switching to semesters in the fall. Registration for spring has already been going on for 3 weeks. Summer registration starts on Feb 13th. Fall registration starts March 12th.

:supaburn:

This stupid anatomy class I'm taking is the make or break for the schedule for the rest of the year. 50% of students in class are re-taking it for a 2nd time, and I know of 1 person taking it for a 3rd. 2 more exams to go, I have an 89%. Oh and this class is one of the big determining factors for any medical/dental program. Squeaking by with a C can get you passed over.

The stress is still better than being constantly hosed with on active duty. I'm about to crack open a bottle and enjoy my 3 day weekend.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My university took the three levels of Calc and broke them up into 4/4/3 semester hours each. And stuck them into meeting 2/3 times a week at ~75 minutes a class. While it means a significantly easier time learning it (or so I'm told) it means you need at least 3 semesters to finish calc before you can move on. Thankfully they offer the three calc classes every spring/summer/fall, with the ability to do Calc I in the spring, Calc II in Summer A and Calc III in summer B.

We had a nuke take precalc over winter, calc I in the spring, calc II/III in conjunction with diff eq + linear + some other math poo poo I don't understand. His brain was pretty much cooked come the beginning of August and took nothing but university reqs in the fall.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I still have math for about a year and a half straight to fill my TAG requirement for the Comp science/engineering track, and I just finished my second straight semester of maths today. Luckily I can still knock out other areas of study and maintain a full load while I slowly chip away at it.

loving up those couple years in JC (before the military) really screwed me. Atleast I'm getting great grades now. I got my first college 'A' grade today, and it wasn't even a basket weaving class!

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

elite_garbage_man posted:

I still have math for about a year and a half straight to fill my TAG requirement for the Comp science/engineering track, and I just finished my second straight semester of maths today. Luckily I can still knock out other areas of study and maintain a full load while I slowly chip away at it.

loving up those couple years in JC (before the military) really screwed me. Atleast I'm getting great grades now. I got my first college 'A' grade today, and it wasn't even a basket weaving class!

I've had to retake all 3 math classes I've taken since calc III. Perhaps it is time to give a slight gently caress(yes I'm partially to blame but seriously math professors are all terrible just let people with masters that can actually teach do it!!!)

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I believe it, dude. I had a horrible teacher in my fall '11 math class. She was the most scatter brained, disorganized, and indecisive professor I have come across.

It was truly unbearable.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 10, 2012

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

elite_garbage_man posted:

I believe it, dude. I had a horrible teacher in my fall '11 math class. She was the most scatter brained, disorganized, and indecisive professor I have come across.

It was truly unbearable.

Yeah, my universities' department seems to have 2 kinds of math professor: person that can literally barely speak english(lol bigot) or old rear end tenured dudes that don't give a poo poo about teaching. Usually getting a TA is your best bet to actually learning in class which says quite a bit.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

moker posted:

Yeah, my universities' department seems to have 2 kinds of math professor: person that can literally barely speak english(lol bigot) or old rear end tenured dudes that don't give a poo poo about teaching. Usually getting a TA is your best bet to actually learning in class which says quite a bit.

I am enjoying my upper math education right now by a factor of about*1000 right now compared to PSU.

At this CC its like something important, where at PSU your math experience needed to be as horrifying and indecipherable as possible to weed out the riff raff. If these three classes serve as any representative sample size, I wish I could go back in time and do the 2 lovely years at CC. The learning experience would have been so much different :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I am enjoying my upper math education right now by a factor of about*1000 right now compared to PSU.

At this CC its like something important, where at PSU your math experience needed to be as horrifying and indecipherable as possible to weed out the riff raff. If these three classes serve as any representative sample size, I wish I could go back in time and do the 2 lovely years at CC. The learning experience would have been so much different :(

Whats it like to have a junior level math course with less than 50 people in it?? I'd like to know :(

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

moker posted:

Whats it like to have a junior level math course with less than 50 people in it?? I'd like to know :(

Its pretty much awesome.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Squirrely, your old avatar was much much better.

I don't even know who you are anymore.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I plan on cramming my entire pre-calc poo poo into summer semester. After this last algebra class I just need pre-calc 1&2 instead of it being broken down into trig and geometry. Then I start the Calc and analytic geometry 1-3 cycle of doom.

Is it a dumb idea to cram that much pre-calc into 9 weeks? I get the feeling I'm going to hate life by mixing those with general chemistry and economics.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I plan on cramming my entire pre-calc poo poo into summer semester. After this last algebra class I just need pre-calc 1&2 instead of it being broken down into trig and geometry. Then I start the Calc and analytic geometry 1-3 cycle of doom.

Is it a dumb idea to cram that much pre-calc into 9 weeks? I get the feeling I'm going to hate life by mixing those with general chemistry and economics.

Nah dude, not trying to sound smug because my math isn't awesome but precal isn't too bad at all and IMO barely prepares you for calculus at all. As soon as you learn a lot of calc all you need to know is their rules and algebra. Some geometry is needed but not a great deal IMO, poo poo you'll be taught in precal anyways.

Why do you need algebra? Seriously not being a dick but if you can bypass them do, its just basic math.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Assuming you are doing all the algebra and pre-calc because of a placement exam. If that is the case, I would recommend getting a pre-calc problem book, one of the 1000 problem books and working through it in your free time, then doing the placement test again. Like moker said, it isn't super hard stuff. You just need to cram the rules into your dome so you can do the stuff in your sleep.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Let's just say my academic record sucks because I was a lovely student that didn't care. I got a GED early, averaged my way through a trade school, and intended on working on heavy equipment for the rest of my life, then discs started letting go in my back and I put an end to that.

So yeah, I need my basic algebras, but I'll have those wrapped up this semester, then it's pre-calc 1&2 in 9-10 weeks. I'm fortunate enough to be married to a high school math teacher so I need to really start getting some help from her when we have downtime. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a white board up in the garage.

I'm pretty comfortable with where I am right now, just reassuring myself that it's not a bad idea to take both pre-calcs in that short of a time frame.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Let's just say my academic record sucks because I was a lovely student that didn't care. I got a GED early, averaged my way through a trade school, and intended on working on heavy equipment for the rest of my life, then discs started letting go in my back and I put an end to that.

So yeah, I need my basic algebras, but I'll have those wrapped up this semester, then it's pre-calc 1&2 in 9-10 weeks. I'm fortunate enough to be married to a high school math teacher so I need to really start getting some help from her when we have downtime. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a white board up in the garage.

I'm pretty comfortable with where I am right now, just reassuring myself that it's not a bad idea to take both pre-calcs in that short of a time frame.

I think you'll be good dude, they arent too bad at all

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Squirrely, your old avatar was much much better.

I don't even know who you are anymore.

It would still be there if WSU had accepted me :cry:

e: And also I couldn't resist the AV. I had wipped it up on request for someone wanting a Haley AV like 2 years ago, so I just had to spend 15 minutes changing the colors when he got hired with the Steelers.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 11, 2012

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It would still be there if WSU had accepted me :cry:

Our old Qb saw me wearing WSU poo poo at the gun range :smug:

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
So, I plan on moving after this semester to a different state, but I plan on remaining enrolled at my current university and taking only online classes. Will my bah still change if I take a class in person in my new location along with the classes online?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

So, I plan on moving after this semester to a different state, but I plan on remaining enrolled at my current university and taking only online classes. Will my bah still change if I take a class in person in my new location along with the classes online?

That gets kinda complicated, but you should be receiving the standard rate for online learning (~674/mo) until you become full time at your new location, which will then change based on the zip of the new school.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
I decided to say gently caress it to TESC and am now enrolled with Excelsior to expedite obtaining my bachelors degree.

I have the credits already, so all I need to take are the capstone/technology class and then the graduation fees which I understand post 9/11 takes care of. I applied for the GI Bill like two weeks ago by VONAPP, I'm still active duty, and I attached an LES to my application. How long does it take the VA to get back to me, and how do they contact me?

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000
The VA hasn't paid out to my school cause I accidentally put 11/9/2012 on my request to transfer to Chapter 33, instead of 11/9/2011. I know I'm an idiot, but how screwed am I? I'm mailing a letter and faxing it to the VA requesting the date be changed, but I have no idea if that is going to work. Am i hosed?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

mhachtx posted:

The VA hasn't paid out to my school cause I accidentally put 11/9/2012 on my request to transfer to Chapter 33, instead of 11/9/2011. I know I'm an idiot, but how screwed am I? I'm mailing a letter and faxing it to the VA requesting the date be changed, but I have no idea if that is going to work. Am i hosed?

Until they correct that, yes. There is literally nothing that can be done, and I'm not even entirely sure that it can be corrected easily. Someone way up on high has to fix it, it sure isn't something that the rank and files can seem to handle.

I had a dude that inverted the months and did 6/3 instead of 3/6, mailed a letter in April, and by the time he got a response from the VA telling him to get hosed it was late May. Then he sat it out a few weeks and went from there, not getting paid for 2 days in June.

The problem with retroactive certs is that you still have to be eligible - if they don't change that eligibility date and you try to cert on 11/9/12 for this year retroactive, it won't work.

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000

Vasudus posted:

Until they correct that, yes. There is literally nothing that can be done, and I'm not even entirely sure that it can be corrected easily. Someone way up on high has to fix it, it sure isn't something that the rank and files can seem to handle.

I had a dude that inverted the months and did 6/3 instead of 3/6, mailed a letter in April, and by the time he got a response from the VA telling him to get hosed it was late May. Then he sat it out a few weeks and went from there, not getting paid for 2 days in June.

The problem with retroactive certs is that you still have to be eligible - if they don't change that eligibility date and you try to cert on 11/9/12 for this year retroactive, it won't work.

Thats what I figured. I am going to talk to my certification office today.

Is it possible for me to resubmit an application? I know when I submitted it the first time it took less than two weeks to get my COE.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

mhachtx posted:

Thats what I figured. I am going to talk to my certification office today.

Is it possible for me to resubmit an application? I know when I submitted it the first time it took less than two weeks to get my COE.

Call them (1-888-442-4551) and use 'Ask a Question' on eBenefits. Your certifying official sadly won't have any control over this. Someone at the VA above the rank and file claims people has to make the change; the rep will either tell you to get hosed or that they will forward your request up the chain.

I don't think a resubmit would do anything, but it's worth a try.

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000

Vasudus posted:

Call them (1-888-442-4551) and use 'Ask a Question' on eBenefits. Your certifying official sadly won't have any control over this. Someone at the VA above the rank and file claims people has to make the change; the rep will either tell you to get hosed or that they will forward your request up the chain.

I don't think a resubmit would do anything, but it's worth a try.
I mailed off a letter and faxed them one this morning. I called the hotline again today and the woman I spoke too said the VA should have mailed a letter asking if the application was correct since the transfer date was after the school start date. She seemed to think it would get ironed out within 45 days.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
When a class is dropped after the no-refund date, does the VA pay for the tuition forfeit? I'm getting charged twice for dropping the class. Once by the college and again by the VA. Why is the VA charging me?

Date Term Code Description Charges
01/03/12 12WICR TUIFT Tuition Forfeit 237.00

02/05/12 12WICR VCH33 VAPost9-11Tuition/fee 237.00

No where else on my account summary is a Tuition/fee from VA. And it happens to be the exact same amount as the class I dropped.

It's completely fine with me if I have to pocket the costs for the class (my pell grant was finally approved for this school year and it is slowly getting added into my account summary), but I don't think its right to be charged twice for dropping it.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
Huh, so I guess I'm going to have to start going to work again soon.

The whole 6 months of extra unemployment is going away after February, unless I qualified for it before like the 23rd or something. My 6 months runs out in March. I guess it's possible for it to be moved up again, but drat that sucks if not.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jaysus posted:

Huh, so I guess I'm going to have to start going to work again soon.

The whole 6 months of extra unemployment is going away after February, unless I qualified for it before like the 23rd or something. My 6 months runs out in March. I guess it's possible for it to be moved up again, but drat that sucks if not.

You mean the 6 on top of the original 6 right?

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You mean the 6 on top of the original 6 right?

Yeah, original 6 will always be there, but the 6 month extension that we usually get is on the line right now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sarah posted:

When a class is dropped after the no-refund date, does the VA pay for the tuition forfeit? I'm getting charged twice for dropping the class. Once by the college and again by the VA. Why is the VA charging me?

Date Term Code Description Charges
01/03/12 12WICR TUIFT Tuition Forfeit 237.00

02/05/12 12WICR VCH33 VAPost9-11Tuition/fee 237.00

No where else on my account summary is a Tuition/fee from VA. And it happens to be the exact same amount as the class I dropped.

It's completely fine with me if I have to pocket the costs for the class (my pell grant was finally approved for this school year and it is slowly getting added into my account summary), but I don't think its right to be charged twice for dropping it.

I'll have to go digging in the revised manual soon to find out - That might have possibly been a change they slipped in for 2012.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Vasudus posted:

I'll have to go digging in the revised manual soon to find out - That might have possibly been a change they slipped in for 2012.

I just got out of an Algebra class, so my brain is literally about to explode. Thinking about this only makes it worse. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that when a class is dropped the college not only keeps the original tuition payment, but charges again and the VA gets to charge for it as well. I am totally fine with paying the VA back, I accepted that might happen when I dropped the class. I don't understand how they can charge twice for a class that was dropped, then adding the VA charge eats up an entire quarter's pell grant.

In the end I have to fork over $711 for dropping this class.

Edit: Plus the BAH that I'm about to be overpaid because when I was in the office getting it adjusted, it would not let him enter me down to 80% BAH because VA Once or whatever the program is said it was past the last drop date, even though the last drop date isn't until Feb 16th. My name got put on a sticky note to be "fixed". :sigh:

Edit: Ok, so while I was sitting in class I didn't refresh my account summary. They changed my tuition on the summary to $817.50 from the original tuition of $1054.50. So I am not being charged three times now, just twice. It is typical for the school to charge me for the dropped class and then pass the money along to the VA? That still doesn't seem right to me.....

Sarah fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 15, 2012

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sarah posted:

I just got out of an Algebra class, so my brain is literally about to explode. Thinking about this only makes it worse. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that when a class is dropped the college not only keeps the original tuition payment, but charges again and the VA gets to charge for it as well. I am totally fine with paying the VA back, I accepted that might happen when I dropped the class. I don't understand how they can charge twice for a class that was dropped, then adding the VA charge eats up an entire quarter's pell grant.

In the end I have to fork over $711 for dropping this class.

Edit: Plus the BAH that I'm about to be overpaid because when I was in the office getting it adjusted, it would not let him enter me down to 80% BAH because VA Once or whatever the program is said it was past the last drop date, even though the last drop date isn't until Feb 16th. My name got put on a sticky note to be "fixed". :sigh:

Edit: Ok, so while I was sitting in class I didn't refresh my account summary. They changed my tuition on the summary to $817.50 from the original tuition of $1054.50. So I am not being charged three times now, just twice. It is typical for the school to charge me for the dropped class and then pass the money along to the VA? That still doesn't seem right to me.....

No, that's not normal. There is still some fuckery going on, I would contact your certifying official. It's possible they messed up on the cert.

You should have to pay the VA back the cost of the class at worst case. I've never heard of a school charging students money to drop classes, you're just supposed to be poo poo out of luck as far as getting money back. True story, my school (and likely many others) have a significant portion of revenue gained every semester from kids taking classes and either never attending or dropping them entirely.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sarah, how many hours are you taking after your dropped class? If it's still full time status they shouldn't be hitting you up for it anyhow, unless your college is one that still charges you for classes after you've hit full time anyhow.

Algebra was the monkey on my back with a terrible teacher and being my fifth class last semester. I started fooling around on khanacademy.org and have just been working my way up to where I'm at now, it's a great study aid and refresher if you just work your way through it from the start.

Also, if you have Pearson MyLab services/books for your class and have already used your code, then take note that it's only good for two semesters. I thought they were good for a year. Now I'm just happy that my teacher is only using MyLab as a source of sweet, sweet extra credit that I can't get without shelling out $82. Correction, shelling out $82 that the VA will reimburse me for in 6-8 weeks, assuming they remember to put the check in the envelope, unlike last semester.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I was taking 13 and dropped down to 10. The class I dropped was a stupid Psychology of Adjustment class, which was a required course in Dental Hygiene for Quarters, but now that we're switching to Semesters in the Fall, they changed it to Intro to Psychology. The entire class was discussing what the instructor taught in Intro, which was very annoying because Intro isn't required to take Adjustment. So I failed a test that was based off of knowledge you should know from a class that isn't required, I dropped it to not shatter my GPA. Honestly, I could have worked it up to an A but with the other two classes I'm taking, I would be fried and can't spread myself any thinner.

The anatomy class I'm taking is just too much on its own, then paired with condensed algebra, its just mind boggling. We also use the My Math Lab thing. It's good to know it is for two semesters, because the second part of this condensed course I'm taking uses the same book. I thought for sure I'd have to buy a new code for next quarter, because the code I used last quarter (for pre-algebra) wasn't any good anymore for this class.

Algebra is easy compared to this anatomy class. The grades are dependent on 4 exam scores. Homework is worth only 10 points for 10 pages of written answers. Even the instructor says it is ridiculous, but if you can't spend the 3 hours a night studying, you won't get into the program you're applying for if you squeeze by with a C. I was thinking if I can't manage a B I'll just change majors, but literally every thing I am interested requires this course to apply. :( Also, what could be more fun than sitting in class/lab 8 hours a week and only getting 5 credit hours?:saddowns:)

I would rather pay for this course dropped than stress myself to death over a dumb class. I just don't want to pay the school then get a letter from the VA a month from now demanding re-payment when I already "payed". Also, when I dropped the class, I was informed of the BAH being reduced but there was no mention of me being charged for it.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Ok... so I just finished sorting this out.

The school enters in GI Bill as financial aid. So whenever someone using the GI Bill drops a class, it automatically charges the student for whatever percentage is due. In my case, 100%. It assumes that since it is financial aid that the student owes.

It was finally credited back to me after 30 minutes of debate and now I just need to deal with the VA.

• Locked thread