Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Oh my god, that is the cutest gecko. Where is she coming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

OneTwentySix posted:

Pachytriton are really, really aggressive, so any other animals you add to the tank would be a bad idea, unless you didn't mind them getting eaten. I don't really recommend fish for food, though; they tend to carry parasites and diseases and newts don't really eat a lot of fish in the wild. With the aggression, I'd also advise against keeping them with other paddletails; breeding them is difficult because they tend to fight with each other. As long as you're happy with the one newt, though, she should do well.

Pachytriton are stream-dwelling newts, so they can tolerate more current from a filter than other animals. They don't require it, though. The setup looks pretty good, though you might add some larger rocks for cover, or use PVC pipe, clay flower pots, etc.

You may want to include some sort of floating platform. She shouldn't use it unless something is wrong, but that would be a tip off that it's too hot, the water quality is poor, or that it is otherwise sick.

This page may be useful to you, too:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

Thanks for the info! I actually made my decision to get this species from the caudata page and am trying to make my tank appropriate to its specifications. I'm planning on some drift wood and terra cotta pots to pretty the place up and provide some climbing/hides.

I am happy with just Ms. Newton in the tank, and I didn't plan to add any more of her species - the tank at the petstore was huge and they were all still climbing the walls to escape each other. You can see the healed notch in her tail as evidence of that.

Nesbit: Could you give me a brief reader's digest on why to avoid organic soil? I'm planning a layer of coconut fiber around the plants bases, and the rest should be covered with moss and boiled leaf litter.

Also, would eucalyptus work for leaf litter? My instincts say "probably not" but my laziness says "there is a ton of it everywhere that is easy to get"

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

OneTwentySix posted:

If you're ever in South Carolina for some reason and feel like going out for salamanders, feel free to message me. Or anyone else in the thread, really. I'm going out for four-toed salamanders in April, I'm hoping to go herping in the Francis Marion near Charleston in March if I can raise some money, and I'm overdue for a trip to the Congaree near Columbia for dwarf waterdogs and whatever other aquatics turn up.

Big Centipede posted:

I actually live in Savannah Ga, just over the bridge from SC. We may just need to go herping some time.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I plan on passing through SC in March to go camping. So if you make any plans to go herping, please tell me. I'd love to get in on that.

I'm in Columbia, totally down for being your Congaree expedition's photographer

Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011

Cassiope posted:

Oh my god, that is the cutest gecko. Where is she coming from?

The Czech Republic. I came across the website of a breeder with some gorgeous little geckos and then proceeded to spend the next couple of hours pouring over them and squealing until I just couldn't control myself. :allears: Pricey, but beautiful.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Big Centipede posted:

I actually live in Savannah Ga, just over the bridge from SC. We may just need to go herping some time.

the yeti posted:

I'm in Columbia, totally down for being your Congaree expedition's photographer

Yeah, that would be a blast. It's always great to herp with others.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I plan on passing through SC in March to go camping. So if you make any plans to go herping, please tell me. I'd love to get in on that.

Where in SC are you going?

I can generally get to Congaree/Columbia area without much trouble or too much notice, but for anything further I'd need to sell some animals for gas money. And almost anything in the NW part of the state I can go any time, but that's too long of a drive for what there'd be to see. Kind of ironic to be selling animals so I can go look for animals, but it works out nice. I was already planning a March camping trip to Francis Marion, so I could always alter plans around that a bit.

As far as herping sites go, I know a bunch in this part of the state, though nothing for anything all that impressive (except maybe four-toed salamanders; the site also has green salamanders (Aneides), but I haven't found any yet). Down by Columbia, I've got two aquatic salamander sites that are nearby, plus the Congaree obviously. Down near Charleston, the whole forest is generally pretty good from what I've seen, especially with road cruising, though it might be a bit early for anything impressive?

Anyway, I'd be up for whatever, wherever and whenever, assuming I've got enough notice to raise the money.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I can literally go anywhere. I'm finishing up applying to grad school for entomology this month, and then was planning on spending the next 3-4 months backpacking and camping out of my car.

Planning on going from PA down along the coast to FL because I need to see the everglades, then into GA and TX for more herps and inverts.

I'll try and get some more concrete plans soon.

her0n
Sep 13, 2006

hey look the world is covered in snail slime

hyperhazard posted:

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question...

When you use this bedding, do you transfer your snakes to a substrate-free tank when feeding them? I can't imagine ingesting any type of bedding is good for them, but if this doesn't have harmful ingredients, then it's probably better than aspen.

(I gave my sister my 10 gallon over x-mas, and am trying to decide whether or not to buy another separate feeding tank for my BP)

I do indeed move them at feeding time. I use Really Useful Boxes :)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Kijiro posted:

We need more beardies in this thread. Here's my baby chilling shortly after his day light went off for the night.

Heres my new little guy- Eastern Bearded named Spyro.

he's currently chilling in a tub with a heat lamp because im waiting to get a chance to get my brothers old turtle tank off him for a more permenant solution!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Shy Retirer posted:

This lovely little leopard gecko lady is arriving next Wednesday. I'm incredibly excited. Am I right in thinking that a three month quarantine and weighing at least 45-50g is recommended before introducing her to my male leopard gecko?

"Oh," I thought to myself, "I guess I can take a look at the site. It's 1am, but I'm not hugely into geckos, so I'll probably just skim it..."

Two hours later, and I was still going strong. Dammit, he has some beauties. (You definitely got the cutest one, though :)) He also has pictures of his latest red-tailed clutch which made me want to hold each and every one of them. Baby snakes are the cutest.

her0n posted:

I do indeed move them at feeding time. I use Really Useful Boxes :)
I use these for storing odds and ends for crafts, but that's a great idea. For some reason the thought of using clear containers never occurred to me. I can cover it with a blanket but still lift it periodically to check in on him. Sweet!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Speaking of Really Useful Boxes, I recently converted one into an extra tank. I'm going to eventually switch all my geckos over to bins, I think they look nice and are so much easier to move and clean. :)

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
EDIT: I read the rules. Sorry, I'm desperate

V!ntar fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 12, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I am steadily acquiring Sterilite bins like a madwoman. It helps to be prepared!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I never knew plastic bins were so useful until I got into reptiles.

I was looking at crested geckos the other night, getting all the morphs down and everything. I ended up dreaming that Balen had the eyebrows and pinstriping down his back with harlequin markings and a brightly colored tail.

Then he dropped it on me. :gonk:

I've got the two cresteds sort of trusting me (if I put my fingers in front of them a couple of times they'll climb up). Am I going about the right speed or am I not handling them enough?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

I handle mine whenever I go to mist, water plants, change paper towels or food cups, etc, but probably not for anything longer than a minute at a time. When I want to weigh them, or when I'm just feeling like looking at them ( :3: ) I take them out for like 5-10 minutes, max, so it's really not much handling and they're still all very curious and confident little things. I have one or two that will 'meep' and try to hide, but I just scoop 'em up and make them deal with it, and by the time I put them back, they're fine. I have a habit now of plopping my big yellow female on my arm or chest and reading a book or watching TV with her, but she's my favorite.

I have noticed they are much less likely to cooperate for handling if it's daytime or particularly bright out, though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Hooray! Despite being fourth on a list for only three red foot tortoise hatchlings, the pet store called me and said that one is now legal length, and I'm in fact up on the list next if I still want one! Should be a pretty exciting weekend.

edit: I've got about six care sheets across as many different websites, plus the one the pet store gave me when I reserved one last month. Regardless of that, if any turtle owners want to offer some red foot tortoise care advice, I'd welcome it.

5er fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 14, 2012

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...
Warm desert temps on Saturday brought forth the first two snakes of the herping year, coinciding with some terrific poppy blooms thanks to winter rains.

California King:

Sonoran Gopher, roadcruised at 7:30pm:

The earliest snake I saw last year was a juvenile diamondback on 3/6.

Several small earless and zebra-tailed lizards have been scurrying about the past week, staking their territorial claims.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Bobbaganoosh posted:

Warm desert temps on Saturday brought forth the first two snakes of the herping year, coinciding with some terrific poppy blooms thanks to winter rains.

California King:

Sonoran Gopher, roadcruised at 7:30pm:

The earliest snake I saw last year was a juvenile diamondback on 3/6.

Several small earless and zebra-tailed lizards have been scurrying about the past week, staking their territorial claims.

Very nice finds, but I'm seriously shocked I found a snake before you. I found a little redbelly snake in my yard almost a month ago, but that was when our temps were in the 70's.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Big Centipede posted:

Very nice finds, but I'm seriously shocked I found a snake before you. I found a little redbelly snake in my yard almost a month ago, but that was when our temps were in the 70's.

Very cool. The redbellied always eluded me back east. I found tons of northern browns, but never the redbellied.

It's been a weird winter. 2 snakes on Saturday, yet we got sleet, then snow flurries today.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn that is one skinny gopher snake.

Yay for Alice finally coming in to shed! And boo on all the balls and sand boas who want breeding season now and no food.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Just truckin' along with my trip report as I prepare to pick up my little red foot tortoise in a couple days.

For its starter habitat, I've secured a large Rubbermaid storage tub. It's big, a little shy of 2' wide, and about 3.5' long. This is for a youngster that's just legally hit its 4" length to sell, so I figure this is adequate. I lined the bottom with some outdoor green carpet, and I will be putting sphagnum moss on top of that. I hear it holds moisture well, and that keeping the turtle in good humidity is most important when they're young. I've got a lamp with a 100watt UV heat light ready to go for the warm end.

For a wading pool I picked up a plastic roller paint pan. I fashioned a little ramp for him out of some spare section of the outdoor carpet, and a couple pieces of wood it is affixed to, until the turtle's big enough to haul himself into the pan without trouble. I plan on making sure he gets one guaranteed soak a day, and I've got a mister bottle on hand already courtesy of the ball pythons I own.

For a hide, I've got a couple empty flowerpots kicking around that I could leave on its side. I've also got some spare, large half-logs I was once upon a time intending to use with my ball pythons, but I decided not to use them because python poo poo is very difficult to clean off of bark. So they've just been sitting around. A coworker suggested, why don't you just build it a castle out of Lego? I'm thinking that's not a shabby idea, and I could involve my 7 year old boy with the process. We've even got one of those Lego stores in the vicinity that let you pick out your own bricks that we could get pricegouged on for the endeavor.

On all the care sheets I've read about the red foot tortoise, their diet seems simple and inexpensive to maintain, but it's important to make sure they eat a varied diet, to make sure to break up the food options they get during the week. This seems like it may be OCD, but I am also figuring on getting a little calendar to keep by the turtle's habitat to keep track of what he's fed, to guarantee he gets a good variety, doesn't get too much fruit, and gets the very occasional meat that's a good idea for them on a 2 week interval. I already have a list of do's and don'ts for food I plan to post next to it, to remind me, and in case my girlfriend needs to feed it for me.

Eventually I figure he's going to outgrow the tub, but at 2" per year growth, which is to say probably not in a hurry. The long term plan is to build an actual turtle table, when he's big enough.

That's my plan for now! Again, I welcome any suggestions or concerns with going forward. While I've owned many healthy reptiles over the years, this is my first turtle, so it feels like new territory.

5er fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 16, 2012

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
So, whats a species you've always wanted to keep?

For me, Drymobius margaritiferus springs to mind. I'm never able to find them for sale, and the few times I have seen them, they've been bought before I could get them.

I've also always wanted to get some striped skaapstekers (Psammophylax tritaeniatus). Not sure what appeals to me about them so much, but I just like them.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Big Centipede posted:

Python curtus (Blood Pythons). I am in love with these little sausages. :)

There's something about the darker morphs that especially appeals to me, although the vibrant ones are also pretty easy on the eyes.

I don't have the resources to take care of a 35+ lb python right now, but maybe some day...

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Big Centipede posted:

Either of the Ommatotriton, banded newts. Males are really neat looking, and they've got an interesting ecology that's a bit different than other crested newts. Unfortunately, there aren't many in the US that I'm aware of.

Taricha rivularis, redbellied newt. They have a limited range (a few counties in California), and I'd have to know someone in the area. They can be kept, or even given away, but I don't believe they can be sold anymore (though they were never really sold, unlike the other Tarichas). I'd really love to get my hands on some eggs (or hell, even some T. torosa/sierrae/granulosa eggs - Taricha are really hard to find now), since that wouldn't require removing any adults, but short of going to California, it's not going to happen. Would really love to build an outdoor enclosure for some Taricha, though - they'd definitely breed like that, and I could get the species back in the hobby more securely.

I've got a weak spot for neotenic salamanders, especially mudpuppies and sirens. Two pairs of olms would be an absolute dream come true for me, but will never happen; they're protected as cave animals and for other reasons. They're Europe's cave-dwelling mudpuppy; they belong to the Proteidae like American Necturus.

Likewise, the American cave salamanders (not counting Eurycea lucifuga, the literally named Cave Salamander, which can be collected since it's not limited to caves), would be amazing to keep, but cave animals are always protected. Pictured above is Haideotriton wallacei, the Georgia blind salamander.

Grotto salamanders offer one exception; larvae occasionally get washed out of the caves and can be collected then. So maybe some day.

Andrias (top), the Japanese and Chinese giant salamanders, are another pipe dream, of course (size, endangered, etc.), but it would be really neat to have one. Likewise, the American version, the hellbender (bottom), would be another great salamander to own. They're protected in most of their range too, though, and even where they're not, their reproductive strategy means they're far too important in the wild to justify someone removing any. I'll settle on being within driving distance of a population so I can at least look for them.

Aneides aeneus, the green salamander, is another mostly protected animal. There are a few places where they could be collected, but again, their populations are too weak to justify removing them. (And even if that weren't the case, they are protected in South Carolina). I'd love to see one, though, so I'm going to work on that a bit this year.

Failing aeneus, Aneides lugubris is one that I could potentially obtain. They're more common, found on the west coast, but more importantly, a few people have managed to breed them and juveniles are occasionally offered for sale as captive bred. I've never had the money when they've been offered, though.

And lastly, the northern dwarf siren, Pseudotriton striatus. I keep southern dwarf sirens (P. axanthus), which aren't found in SC, and absolutely love the species, but P. striatus has it's own character, I've heard. There are three subspecies, but I couldn't legally keep P. s. striatus since it's protected in SC due to being at the edge of its range and habitat loss. I'll get some some day, though - probably after I move to Florida, if that ever happens.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

hyperhazard posted:

Python curtus (Blood Pythons). I am in love with these little sausages. :)

There's something about the darker morphs that especially appeals to me, although the vibrant ones are also pretty easy on the eyes.

I don't have the resources to take care of a 35+ lb python right now, but maybe some day...

I've had a few baby bloods a few times, but never kept any adults. If I'm not mistaken, the black bloods tend to stay in the 3-4 foot range. Might be up your alley.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

OneTwentySix posted:

salamander stuff

I have to admit, you do a good job selling me on the idea of keeping salamanders some day.

Could you legally keep hellbenders? I've always wanted to see one in the wild, but I have terrible luck with finding salamanders and newts.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Big Eyed Whip Snake; Ahaetulla mycterizan

King's rock monitor; Varanus kingorum

Golden tail gecko; S. taenicauda (the most realistic one for me)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

OneTwentySix posted:

Oh hey there, Andrias. Lookin' giant today! :hf:

I just lurk here, never likely to keep any amphibians or reptiles myself but I love all the pictures. Your post reminds me of a silly question that's bugged me for a while--what's the proper pronunciation for Taricha? TARRIka? TaREEka? TaREEcha?

Okay, actually, another less silly question: I don't often see Notophthalmus viridescens getting mentioned in a pet context. Are they particularly hard to care for? Just not a favorite?

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 17, 2012

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

You can keep benders in some states, but they're protected in most of their range; I don't remember which states they don't have protection in, but it's only one or two; so long as you live in those states or where they're not native and got your animals from those states, they're legal. The problem is, there's only two or three states that have populations that are moderately stable; the rest are in huge trouble, and they don't see signs of breeding in a lot of the populations anymore. There's some evidence that the removal of one individual can render an entire section of stream unsustainable in some areas, so collection is a huge risk. The Ozark hellbender just received federal protection last year in October, and it's probably time for the eastern bender to get it as well. They have a similar reproductive model with turtles; they live a long time (30-50+ years), and adults aren't supposed to die, for the most part. As a result, they're just not really capable of making up any losses of adults, especially in areas where they're not doing well to begin with.

Just had to mention that; you wouldn't believe the number of people that have e-mailed me about buying hellbenders when I used to run my salamander website, and that was before I'd ever even seen one in the wild! But yeah, benders are pretty amazing, and I'd like to keep a pair if history had gone differently and they were doing amazing.

As far as not finding salamanders, you're probably looking in the wrong spots if you're not finding any. Right now's actually a pretty great time to look for them; the Ambystomids would be breeding now in your area (mole, spotted*, and maybe even tigers). Just look for a nearby forested pond without large fish and you might find spotted salamander egg masses. Come back at night and you could see hundreds of them. I need to get out to my pond; it just rained tonight and they should start moving around here pretty soon.

*Edit: Went to look up the range on A. mabeei, and you might not even have spotteds in your area, which is a bit surprising. You should still have talps, though, but they lay eggs singly, so you won't find any masses.

Otherwise, flip logs in a forest stream and you should find red salamanders (though they're uncommon; you need to look for a few hours before finding one in most areas). There will be larvae in the streams, and you can always find tons of Desmognathus and Eurycea if you flip rocks and logs in and right next to streams. Slimy salamanders are pretty common, just flip forest logs, though you probably find them when looking for snakes and things already. As far as newts go, if the pond has them, there will be tons of them. Finding the right pond can be tricky, though, and it helps to go at night.

The thing about salamanders is that while they're awesome, it generally gets boring looking for most species because they're TOO easy to find. I can find ten slimies in a day without too much trouble, and I could find 30+ newts if I tried at it. Eurycea and Desmognathus are extremely abundant; I could possibly find over a hundred of either (especially Desmogs) if I really worked at it. Ambystomids are a group I really like, but you don't tend to find many of them outside of the breeding season or when they're coming out of the water. The breeding congregations are great to see though, since you see so many all at once. The harder to find groups are the best, though, or finding things you haven't found before. Red salamanders are always a nice surprise, since they're so brightly colored and you don't find so many of them, and sirens/amphiumas/waterdogs are always a blast because it's like a treasure hunt through mud. And there's always the larger mudpuppies and hellbenders, which are simply amazing.

If you ever want to see a bender in the wild though, let me know this summer and it's possible a trip could be arranged. You'd have to drive all the way to NC, though, which is pretty far from where you're at. I don't know if the herping group I go with is going to go again in April, and if they don't, I'd like to get out there since I don't know how much longer I'll be living here. I absolutely need to find Aneides, Plethodon yonahlossee, and Plethodon jordani before I move, and I'm even thinking I might want to try central NC for Necturus lewisi if I can spring the gas money.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Oh hey there, Andrias. Lookin' giant today! :hf:

I just lurk here, never likely to keep any amphibians or reptiles myself but I love all the pictures. Your post reminds me of a silly question that's bugged me for a while--what's the proper pronunciation for Taricha? TARRIka? TaREEka? TaREEcha?

Okay, actually, another less silly question: I don't often see Notophthalmus viridescens getting mentioned in a pet context. Are they particularly hard to care for? Just not a favorite?

Ha, nice username there!

Everyone pronounces it differently. I've heard all types, so say it however you want! I personally say "Tar-itch-ah."

Notos are great, but they're a bit overshadowed by the European species, since they're just kinda a dull green or brownish. I like them; I keep some peninsular newts (N. piaropicola) and was breeding them in my dwarf siren pool before my dad destroyed the pool one day and didn't bother telling me and I lost everything in it. The main problem with them is the eft stage, which is beautiful, but also extremely hard to raise. They need tons and tons of springtails before they can move on to larger food, like fruit flies. If you get them to stay aquatic, though, they do really well.

There are a number of people on caudata.org that keep them, though, and there's another forums member here that has had some N. v. dorsalis for something like 20 years, though she hasn't posted in the thread in a while. I need to get a few more piaropicola so I can have a breeding population (only found three small animals when I was in Florida last time), which are great because they almost always skip the eft stage, and frequently keep the gills, too. I'd also like to set out some egg traps this year and raise up a bunch of N. v. v. larvae, and then if I can get them large enough I'll look into selling some then. I haven't raised any efts since college, though; I had a couple N. v. louisianensis. I want to try raising four-toed salamander eggs this year, so I'd need the springtails anyways for them.

Four-toed salamanders are really cool. My site in SC is also a site that has Aneides, so I'm looking forward to looking for both when I go in April. Four-toed salamanders (Hemidactylium scutatum) are pretty hard to find most of the year, but in the spring, the females will lay their eggs in clumps of sphagnum moss and can be really easy to find; almost every good clump will have a female and eggs, or just the eggs. I raised some up in Wisconsin one year, but lost the ones that survived when I moved down here. I should probably get started on their enclosure now, actually; I'm going to need a lot of springtails.

Typical habitat, every one of those islands might have some inside.

Site has some pitcher plants, too, but last time I went, I didn't see any, when there used to be a whole field of them. I hope they recover; pitcher plants are awesome.

I also found this red salamander when I accidentally kicked a log on the trail. It was a small log so I wasn't even going to flip it. Red salamanders are really beautiful.

And since I was talking about spotted salamanders earlier, here's a really bad picture that was in that album of some spotteds in the breeding season. The white things are the spermatophors, the sperm packets that the males deposit for the females to pick up.

And a Stereochilus, for the hell of it. They're neat salamanders you can find when dipnetting for sirens, and they're often neotenic and keep their gills. They're crazy, though; if you put them in clean water, they die. You need to get really crappy water conditions for them to survive. I'd keep them if they were easier, but I'll leave that to a friend of mine, he's more into Stereos.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

OneTwentySix posted:

There are a number of people on caudata.org that keep them, though, and there's another forums member here that has had some N. v. dorsalis for something like 20 years, though she hasn't posted in the thread in a while.

Heh, that's me :) I still love my Eastern newts - they're pretty much the perfect pet for me: fully aquatic, eat well, extremely entertaining in my planted tanks. They're like little dogs that beg for food. They are a bitch to raise, though. I find the eft stage very tedious and boring. They get cuter as they get bigger, but the tiny efts are like little bugs that don't want to eat anything and randomly die - not the most ideal fun pet.

They definitely are not an instant-gratification breeding project: my three-year-olds are just now going back in the water as adults. The 'outdoor pond' method may be the best idea - I raised a bunch of larvae on my porch last year in a big tub pond and they all did well. I gave away all the efts because I just don't have time to feed so many little jerks. I'm in a bind right now because I moved to a state where I can't legally sell or give away this species, but my females are all full of eggs :(

Definitely appreciate your salamander posts! My husband's dream is to own a hellbender (will not be happening).

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Thanks for the Notophthalmus info! It's not like I'm ever planning on keeping them, I just think they're neat. I'm sorry to hear that efts are a pain in captivity--it's such an interesting life cycle. So much variation.

Newts. :3:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Big Centipede posted:

I've had a few baby bloods a few times, but never kept any adults. If I'm not mistaken, the black bloods tend to stay in the 3-4 foot range. Might be up your alley.
Ooh, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

OneTwentySix posted:

As far as not finding salamanders, you're probably looking in the wrong spots if you're not finding any. Right now's actually a pretty great time to look for them; the Ambystomids would be breeding now in your area (mole, spotted*, and maybe even tigers). Just look for a nearby forested pond without large fish and you might find spotted salamander egg masses. Come back at night and you could see hundreds of them. I need to get out to my pond; it just rained tonight and they should start moving around here pretty soon.

*Edit: Went to look up the range on A. mabeei, and you might not even have spotteds in your area, which is a bit surprising. You should still have talps, though, but they lay eggs singly, so you won't find any masses.

Otherwise, flip logs in a forest stream and you should find red salamanders (though they're uncommon; you need to look for a few hours before finding one in most areas). There will be larvae in the streams, and you can always find tons of Desmognathus and Eurycea if you flip rocks and logs in and right next to streams. Slimy salamanders are pretty common, just flip forest logs, though you probably find them when looking for snakes and things already. As far as newts go, if the pond has them, there will be tons of them. Finding the right pond can be tricky, though, and it helps to go at night.

The thing about salamanders is that while they're awesome, it generally gets boring looking for most species because they're TOO easy to find. I can find ten slimies in a day without too much trouble, and I could find 30+ newts if I tried at it. Eurycea and Desmognathus are extremely abundant; I could possibly find over a hundred of either (especially Desmogs) if I really worked at it. Ambystomids are a group I really like, but you don't tend to find many of them outside of the breeding season or when they're coming out of the water. The breeding congregations are great to see though, since you see so many all at once. The harder to find groups are the best, though, or finding things you haven't found before. Red salamanders are always a nice surprise, since they're so brightly colored and you don't find so many of them, and sirens/amphiumas/waterdogs are always a blast because it's like a treasure hunt through mud. And there's always the larger mudpuppies and hellbenders, which are simply amazing.

If you ever want to see a bender in the wild though, let me know this summer and it's possible a trip could be arranged. You'd have to drive all the way to NC, though, which is pretty far from where you're at. I don't know if the herping group I go with is going to go again in April, and if they don't, I'd like to get out there since I don't know how much longer I'll be living here. I absolutely need to find Aneides, Plethodon yonahlossee, and Plethodon jordani before I move, and I'm even thinking I might want to try central NC for Necturus lewisi if I can spring the gas money.

I've seen newts a few times while herping, but the only salamanders I ever seem to find are slimys and marbleds. Although, I went herping in the Apalachicola River basin once and found lots of these odd looking salamanders that I had never seen before. Sadly, I don't have pictures of them, but they were kinda pale tannish-green with stripes if I'm remembering them right.

Also found a Cuban treefrog the size of my fist.

If I end up heading through NC, I'll definitely hit you up on that offer.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

I've always liked geckos every since I was a kid and a friend of mine had like 4 of them that we loved to play with until his dad left them in their "sun room" one weekend (he figured they loved the sun lamp, why wouldn't they love direct sunlight in the middle of the summer intensified by the glass in a closed off room) while we were at lacrosse camp and they fried.

For reference: I have a lot of experience with animals, except for amphibians. Right now, I have a dog and a betta fish in my apartment and would love another pet.

I'm picking up a 20L (29gal) tank with a UHM (should I get a heat lamp as well?) and screen from someone on craigslist in a couple of hours (she’s getting rid of it for an even bigger one) and will probably be getting a gecko shortly after that - I really want a fat tailed gecko. However, before I do, I want to run by a couple of questions to make sure I don't do anything stupid or irresponsible because I don't want to hurt or kill the little guys.

Question one being this: I did some googling and the answers seem mixed - is it okay to have two in a cage of that size? I would love to get 2 if I could. Also, will PI hate me if I get them from PetCo? I'm afraid the shelters around me only have dogs, cats and other furry critters. Craigslist has nothing and freecycle only has chairs and bookshelves.

I'd also like to go all out on terrain. Any recommendations? What sort of flora would be best? What should I lay down for them to walk around on and admire? I know heating rocks are a no-no. Googling hasn't been much help. It's just turned up a bunch of websites I don't really trust unless I really should line my cage with paper towels, chunks of wood and a tupperware dish with water...

Looking through the thread it seems like it's a lot of experienced pet owners (which is great) but it's a bit intimidating, so any help would be greatly appreciated for the new guy.

I'm sorry that I breezed through the thread and missed some of the answers to the questions I asked because I’m picking up the cage and geckos soon but I promise to come back tonight and read it all and correct any of my mistakes and answer any unanswered questions tonight – I just wanted to ask them before I head out.

Thanks for your help.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

PetCo can be fine or extremely lovely, depending on your area/the competence of the employees and management. It's a toss up, and one usually best to avoid unless you like your odds. Most reptile people get their animals online from faunaclassifieds.com, kingsnake.com classfieds, or locally through reputable reptile specialty stores, expos or local breeders. Yes, it's totally fine and okay to ship reptiles; they arrive next day and most people here have their animals arrive alive, healthy and not bothered by being shipped. You just have to be sure the climate will allow for shipping and then you're good to go. You can get better, more impressive animals for less than retail this way, and it's pretty much how the hobby is done. :)

Paper towels, chunks of wood and basic setups really are the most recommended. I know it's weird, but it's the easiest and most idiot proof way to ensure your animals don't eat your substrate, fall off your intricately placed furniture, or otherwise find a way to kill themselves with something they shouldn't. As you evolve and grow in the hobby, you can totally experiment with natural settings and go nuts with setups; it's what makes terrariums so fun! But for beginners and advanced keepers alike, it's best to start simple and build from there.

Enjoy your geckos! Be sure you have the proper wattage of UVB for African Fat-Tails and always dust your crickets and feeder insects with calcium and 'gut load' them 24hrs prior with a specific diet, to ensure your pets don't get metabolic bone disease and stay healthy.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Question one being this: I did some googling and the answers seem mixed - is it okay to have two in a cage of that size? I would love to get 2 if I could.

Housing reptiles together is always for your benefit, not theirs. At best they will tolerate one another. At worst...well, at worst, a lot of things can go wrong.

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Also, will PI hate me if I get them from PetCo? I'm afraid the shelters around me only have dogs, cats and other furry critters. Craigslist has nothing and freecycle only has chairs and bookshelves.

PetCo and Craigslist are both excellent ways to end up with a sickly animal that has a shitton of parasites and a respiratory infection. Especially if you are a newbie, you can't always be sure what you're looking at. And internal parasites are invisible until the problem gets serious.

Yes, occasional individual chain pet stores and Craigslist sellers are good, but the odds are really not in your favor.

Go online and browse reviews of hobbyist breeders and dealers. The cost of having a sanely-priced reptile shipped overnight to your door is rarely more than the cost of picking one up at PetCo. My ball python was actually cheaper than the wheezing skeletal baby BPs PetCo had.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Just picked up a cage for cheap on Craigslist, so I'm posting this from my phone and will keep the reply short. Thanks for the quick responses. I'll look into those only breeders you mentioned. I've always had a stigma against chain stores valid or not and was hesitant to cave on this and thought I'd check with you guys, so thank you much for the advice!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Gecko!

I assume you're talking about an African Fat Tail gecko, and not a leopard gecko. A lot of people who see them think 'if the tail is fat, it is a fat tail' but leo's and AFT's both have plump tails- AFT's more so though.

I honestly never see any African fat tails in the petstores around my area, just leopard geckos. I only keep and prefer AFT's because I find them much more adorable- and they are slower moving.

If you do want an AFT though, two females would do just fine together in a 20gallon long. I highly recommend you don't purchase from a petstore, especially a chain one, because there is little to no chance the employee will know what is a female and what is a male. If you end up with two males, they will fight, and a male/female..well you could guess, and that would be very stressful on the female to be with him constantly

AFT's don't need special lighting as they are nocturnal. Just dust their crickets with a calcium supplement with D3. The best thing to do is get an undertank heater.

Definitely look to order your geckos online. A breeder will be able to hook you up with two normal females at a great price. They can also tell you if they are too small to be sexed if they have been incubated at temperatures to produce females, as they are a Temperature sex determined species.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

SA, as always, has the best advice. I ended up deciding on a crested gecko that I'm waiting on. I bought all the supplies, including a heat lamp, but, upon further reading, it seems as if a heat lamp isn't necessary. Is this true? I have an under tank heater, though. Will that be sufficient? My apartment is at a constant 70* or so. I have UTH placed on the opposite side of the water and food dishes. I have no problem leaving the lamp on occasionally to make sure they stay warm enough, but if it's necessary I might as well return it and spend it on other goodies.

As an aside, I'm a little annoyed with where I live right now. I used to live in a bit of a hippie mecca with organic pet stores this and all-natural that, and now I've moved to a place with a single PetCo thanks to my job, so I'm stuck with that and ordering online, but I'm taking your guys' advice as much as possible and really appreciate it.

One last thing, the PetCo was out of "crested gecko food" until later next week. She said she'd put their own stock in my bag for free, but never did. I should have checked before I left. It's not a big deal right now, but in regards to food, I read that they like pureed bananas and other fruits, baby food, and crickets. Is this true? Thanks again for all over your help!

mushroom_spore posted:

Go online and browse reviews of hobbyist breeders and dealers. The cost of having a sanely-priced reptile shipped overnight to your door is rarely more than the cost of picking one up at PetCo. My ball python was actually cheaper than the wheezing skeletal baby BPs PetCo had.

I should mention that I did this.

I Am Hydrogen fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Greycious posted:

I assume you're talking about an African Fat Tail gecko, and not a leopard gecko. A lot of people who see them think 'if the tail is fat, it is a fat tail' but leo's and AFT's both have plump tails- AFT's more so though.

I honestly never see any African fat tails in the petstores around my area, just leopard geckos. I only keep and prefer AFT's because I find them much more adorable- and they are slower moving.

If you do want an AFT though, two females would do just fine together in a 20gallon long. I highly recommend you don't purchase from a petstore, especially a chain one, because there is little to no chance the employee will know what is a female and what is a male. If you end up with two males, they will fight, and a male/female..well you could guess, and that would be very stressful on the female to be with him constantly

AFT's don't need special lighting as they are nocturnal. Just dust their crickets with a calcium supplement with D3. The best thing to do is get an undertank heater.

Definitely look to order your geckos online. A breeder will be able to hook you up with two normal females at a great price. They can also tell you if they are too small to be sexed if they have been incubated at temperatures to produce females, as they are a Temperature sex determined species.

I couldn't tell you which one it was, honestly, because they had sold it when I got there.

E: stopped by just to check because it's a minute drive from me and it was an African fat tail gecco and it was 50% off because "they had it forever and no one wanted it.."

I Am Hydrogen fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 18, 2012

• Locked thread