Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This episode didn't really do it for me, I'm afraid. The lying to collect the members seemed extremely forced and only hurt the chances of success, and the photography mission, while funny, wasn't really a game. I liked the One Chance mission, though.

Also, they're still trying to win running balls and avoid punishments, but the running balls and punishments are becoming less and less important, and the lottery is all but gone. It just feels like they're a little "lost" while they're restructuring the show, but hopefully it won't last too much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Didn't they also edit out Sukjin's profile as well? I don't remember seeing it when I watched the episode for the first time.
Yes, thinking about it you're right. I think I forgot about him since they did show some of the others taking photos of SJ-fish.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
I liked this episode a lot. Not so much for the content, as it was one of the lightest (because of the holidays?). Without guests, the whole thing felt like a celebration of the cast and their little experiment of a show and how far they've come. To have it end with them working together and succeeding - "this is what we can do together" - just summed it up perfectly.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

El Graplurado posted:

I liked this episode a lot. Not so much for the content, as it was one of the lightest (because of the holidays?). Without guests, the whole thing felt like a celebration of the cast and their little experiment of a show and how far they've come. To have it end with them working together and succeeding - "this is what we can do together" - just summed it up perfectly.

Yeah, the ending is pretty awesome -- when I first watched it, I was cheering KJK! KJK! along with the rest of the members. Now that I've rewatched it again, it just feels even more awesome knowing that they've won the title award of the SBS annual award ceremony from their rather shaky beginnings when ratings were low and people were wondering if RM was going to end up like FO Season 2. That kind of teamwork makes a show, and it shows even in challenges like this.

Side note: I have no issues with the translation of "COMMANDER" for KJK's 능력자 nickname; I think it conveys the idea well. But in case you guys didn't know, the actual Korean nickname literally translates to: "One with skill, competence", but carries a nuance of power/force that "Commander" does. I'm struggling to find any word that would be fitting to use as the translated English nickname for KJK that has the same ring as Commander, so props to the iSub team.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I really wish that Korean variety shows would come out on DVD instead of just becoming lost in the abyss of time. I would buy this one along with many many others if given the opportunity.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Just finished the post office episode. Goddamn, Kim Jong Kook doesn't like to lose.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Cizzo posted:

I really wish that Korean variety shows would come out on DVD instead of just becoming lost in the abyss of time. I would buy this one along with many many others if given the opportunity.

I agree so much. If Korea can make a boxset for drama series that span 50 + episodes, surely they can spare some dvds for Running Man.

..Though, maybe they don't make DVD sets for Variety shows because they feel like the humor won't translate well over time?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Yeah, I think Jong Kook, Haha, and Gary may be my favorites. They're awesome in that they, more than anyone else, seem to be a bunch of friends just having fun (even if Jong Kook berates them when they lose).

jagidrok
Sep 23, 2010
regarding episode 29: I was so hurt when Joongki and Ji Hyo abandoned MC Yoo

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, I think Jong Kook, Haha, and Gary may be my favorites. They're awesome in that they, more than anyone else, seem to be a bunch of friends just having fun (even if Jong Kook berates them when they lose).

A bunch of the cast have known each other for a really long time. Haha and Jae Suk have been doing shows together for nearly a decade, and the two of them have done hundreds of episodes of Infinity Challenge together. Another regular on Infinity Challenge is Gil, Gary's hip-hop partner in Leessang. Jae Suk and Jong Kook also worked on X-Man years ago, and then they were together for almost the entire run of Family Outing. So those 3 have been friends for at least 10 years.

Jae Suk and Suk Jin have been friends for 20 years, as pointed out on the show.

So basically going in everyone except Ji Hyo, Joong Ki, and Gwangsoo were really close friends.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

qbert posted:

A bunch of the cast have known each other for a really long time. Haha and Jae Suk have been doing shows together for nearly a decade, and the two of them have done hundreds of episodes of Infinity Challenge together. Another regular on Infinity Challenge is Gil, Gary's hip-hop partner in Leessang. Jae Suk and Jong Kook also worked on X-Man years ago, and then they were together for almost the entire run of Family Outing. So those 3 have been friends for at least 10 years.

Jae Suk and Suk Jin have been friends for 20 years, as pointed out on the show.

So basically going in everyone except Ji Hyo, Joong Ki, and Gwangsoo were really close friends.

I believe Joongki and Gwangsoo were friends with each other, but I'm not sure if it was pre-RM or post (I'm inclined to say before, or at least that's what I remember them saying).

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
It's in one of the first episodes, I think, though I wasn't sure if they meant 'friends' in the friends sense or 'friends' in the 'we're the same age' sense. By the way, can men use oppa/unnie as well, or do they have to use hyung/noona? Initially I thought those referred to older brothers/sisters than oppa/unnie, but then I don't think I've ever heard Jae Suk for example describe anyone as an oppa.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

reflir posted:

It's in one of the first episodes, I think, though I wasn't sure if they meant 'friends' in the friends sense or 'friends' in the 'we're the same age' sense. By the way, can men use oppa/unnie as well, or do they have to use hyung/noona? Initially I thought those referred to older brothers/sisters than oppa/unnie, but then I don't think I've ever heard Jae Suk for example describe anyone as an oppa.

Guys use hyung/noona to refer to older 'brother' and 'sister'. Girls use oppa/unnie.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Interestingly they also seem to be able to refer to themselves by the appropriate term on behalf of others. So for example, Ji-Hyo will refer to herself as noona when talking to younger men.

Archer2338 posted:

Side note: I have no issues with the translation of "COMMANDER" for KJK's 능력자 nickname; I think it conveys the idea well. But in case you guys didn't know, the actual Korean nickname literally translates to: "One with skill, competence", but carries a nuance of power/force that "Commander" does. I'm struggling to find any word that would be fitting to use as the translated English nickname for KJK that has the same ring as Commander, so props to the iSub team.
Occasionally, when it's more appropriate, they do refer to him as being the "competent" KJK or things along those lines, since Commander doesn't work entirely in all situations. But it's nice to know it's an effective translation; the only other term I can think of that might work would be "Master", but that seems to take things a bit too far (not to mention there's probably already a Korean word that is usually translated as that).

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

..Though, maybe they don't make DVD sets for Variety shows because they feel like the humor won't translate well over time?

Maybe because of music licensing issues? I've always wondered whether it's legal for them to use all the American songs / soundtracks that they do.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Archer2338 posted:

Revenant Threshold posted:

Occasionally, when it's more appropriate, they do refer to him as being the "competent" KJK or things along those lines, since Commander doesn't work entirely in all situations. But it's nice to know it's an effective translation; the only other term I can think of that might work would be "Master", but that seems to take things a bit too far (not to mention there's probably already a Korean word that is usually translated as that).

Yeah, sometimes he's "The capable one" and sometimes "That man", but I think the second one has more to do with one of his songs.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

sharktamer posted:

Yeah, sometimes he's "The capable one" and sometimes "That man", but I think the second one has more to do with one of his songs.

Yeah, the second one is from the title of one of his songs (한 남자) and the lyrics to it, which include "There is/exists a man....."

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'll never get tired of dramatic Jong-Kook reveals during hide and seek. :allears:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Episode 81

It's done by a new sub group/guy that seems to be just as fast as kshownow, if not faster, with better quality and more options for viewing.

Fantastic episode, great set up. Was awesome to see Gary in places I've actually been to. I didn't get to meet him, but at least I can find his signature on (G)Abbey Road next time I'm there. It was also nice to see the members co-operating with each other a lot more, even when it was obvious they didn't need to. A lot of great moments, especially the Ee-Yu-Ji ones.

So much to mention in this episode, but a small highlight for me was the coin block noise when Jaesuk knocked the hidden box off the light. Perfect placement.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

sharktamer posted:

Episode 81

It's done by a new sub group/guy that seems to be just as fast as kshownow, if not faster, with better quality and more options for viewing.

Ah, thanks for turning me onto this guy. I'll give his subs a shot for Ep 81. The best thing though is that he seems to be subbing Infinity Challenge as well! Now I don't have to wait presumably a year for DDD to finally get to it.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Not a spoiler but in ep. 45 Jong Kook has a Liverpool trackie top on and I did a loving fistpump when I saw that

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

T. Fine posted:

Not a spoiler but in ep. 45 Jong Kook has a Liverpool trackie top on and I did a loving fistpump when I saw that
Haha, I remember seeing that one and doing a literal double-take.

Edit: I found this video someone had mixed together of the Running Man crew winning at the most recent end-of-year awards. Not subbed, unfortunetly.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 14, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Haha, I remember seeing that one and doing a literal double-take.

Edit: I found this video someone had mixed together of the Running Man crew winning at the most recent end-of-year awards. Not subbed, unfortunetly.

I found subbed cuts of the RM cast starting here.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

sharktamer posted:

Episode 81

Fantastic episode, great set up. Was awesome to see Gary in places I've actually been to. I didn't get to meet him, but at least I can find his signature on (G)Abbey Road next time I'm there. It was also nice to see the members co-operating with each other a lot more, even when it was obvious they didn't need to. A lot of great moments, especially the Ee-Yu-Ji ones.

So much to mention in this episode, but a small highlight for me was the coin block noise when Jaesuk knocked the hidden box off the light. Perfect placement.

Hmm, sub quality and translations seem rather good - it seems to catch the nuances (or does translator notes) of what is being said better than kshownow and possibly even iSubs (will need some time to see about the latter).
Of course, formatting is somewhat off (one type of font, no colors, somewhat intrusive), and iSubs does that better, but I think this dude is more faithful to the original Korean dialogue/captions. If this guy could somehow do the actual content/translations while iSubs does the formatting and timing, it would be the best combo.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 14, 2012

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe ISUBS needs to consider hiring this person. Also Episode 81's winner...that was pretty satisfying.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Archer2338 posted:

Of course, formatting is somewhat off (one type of font, no colors, somewhat intrusive), and iSubs does that better, but I think this dude is more faithful to the original Korean dialogue/captions. If this guy could somehow do the actual content/translations while iSubs does the formatting and timing, it would be the best combo.

The guy acknowledged that the size of the translated captions is way too big, hopefully he does some work in the rest of the formatting it would be awesome.

TV Zombie posted:

Maybe ISUBS needs to consider hiring this person. Also Episode 81's winner...that was pretty satisfying.

iSubs doesn't really hire anyone, that's more kshownow's thing and is one of the reasons why their subs get done a lot faster. A partnership with iSubs would be awesome though.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
iSubs have partnered up with other subbing groups in the past, I believe, so it wouldn't be a first time either.

Episode 30:
Location: The National Centre for Korean Traditional Performing Arts
Guests: Seung-Ri (Idol, Big Bang)

1 2 3 4

After a couple of episodes of new things, to not have something to explain at the start is nice. This week the first mission is the same style as last week’s, with the Find the Guest segment. And it’s a pretty impressive location, not to mention the obfuscating volunteers. The guest swapping his jacket out was pretty clever, even if it was badly timed. And I liked Joong-Ki being revealed in that chair, only to be kidnapped by the volunteers. I just knew that Jong-Kook would come and interrupt the happily dancing members. Seung-Ri’s repeated escape attempts are pretty awesome, with him basically being captured each time.

Next up is a not-a-mission, with the team coming up with a random photography task. There’s a lot of humour in the members photos themselves (especially Gary, against his normal peaceful look), but the whole thing is entirely left in the dust by the repeated appearances of the Most Photogenic Man and the repeated failure to take a better photo than his. We also have the first example of Gwang-Soo’s anger eruptions. And we move straight onto the next actual task, with the traditional Korean instruments, and Jae-Suk managing to get his the wrong way round. I like the fact that Gwang-Soo’s initial idea of getting whacked with the drumstick snowballed so massively into becoming a regular part of the game. And when Haha went offscreen I honestly didn’t expect him to do what he did.

Lastly we have the Once Chance mission, which is that other Asian variety show staple, the skipping rope, with the memboos having to pass a gong along the line before a certain number of jumps. Unlike last week, however, this becomes less a reason for the team to band together and mostly causes them to descend into arguments and blaming each other for failure. This is also the first time we get to see that the crew actually test out the One Chance missions to see if they’re possible beforehand – something which will come to bite them in the rear end in a later show.

I have to say, I wasn’t hugely bothered by this episode. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great. Luckily, the next episode is pretty incredible.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 15, 2012

Selane
May 19, 2006

This is also the first time we get to see that the crew actually test out the Once Chance missions to see if they’re possible beforehand – something which will come to bite them in the rear end in a later show.

Yeah, they basically spent all morning trying it, then when they finally succeeded they checked how long it took them to do it and gave the cast less time and a limited number of attempts. Yet they still got it in a few tries. As a result the producers basically tried to rig next week's One Chance as hard as possible.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I had no idea when I was first saw this episode that Seungri was so young. He's only 21 now and I think he was actually 19 when the episode came out. Idols are usually the other way around in terms of looking their age, but Big bang is kinda a big manly man group.

The photograph section would have probably been edited out if it weren't for the most photogenic man. Gotta love the didgeridoo sounds every time it appeared. I can't give enough praises for the sound engineers on this show, looking forward to their appearance on the upcoming episode.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I liked this episode a lot more than the previous one. YG Family need to be on more variety shows, because they're all awesome. Running Man with 2NE1 please. :allears:

Seungri's attempts to conceal himself and keep escaping were loving wonderful, and I was so bummed that he got caught. If only he didn't get so cocky and get caught up with his victory celebration.

I'm loving the "catch the guest" missions so far, with the elaborate setups and the guests being so clever and elusive. I know it doesn't last forever, but I hope it lasts a good long while.

The "photography mission" was handled much better this time than the previous episode. It was just the cast goofing around and coming up with a game that they were all fully aware was bullshit and just for fun. Then they came across that picture and it skyrocketed to one of the funniest moments this show has ever had.

And the One Chance mission was great, both for Jong-Kook's attempts at a warmer approach and the reveal of the dejected crew. Their revenge... Their sweet revenge. I can't wait to see it.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

The Most Photogenic Man, and the sound that accompanied his photo, is truly one of the funniest things this show has ever produced. They really ran the joke into the ground during the segment, but it never stopped being funny.

Episode 46: There needs to be a gif of Kim Jong Kook's "Seriously, I'm such a genius!" moment in this episode. It had me cracking up.

EDIT: God drat that gif site has giffed EVERYTHING. http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp9l6ogvC01qk2u4ao2_500.gif

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 15, 2012

Selane
May 19, 2006

This is pretty cool(until Kwangsoo shows up, in which case it's just funny): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bLkbvvzbeNE!

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Selane posted:

This is pretty cool(until Kwangsoo shows up, in which case it's just funny): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bLkbvvzbeNE!

Gwang Soo's dance escalates that video from cool to awesome.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Something funny I just noticed about Ep 81 upon rewatch:

They play the theme from Avatar when Gwangsoo wins.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
^Uncanny.

Episode 31:
Guests: Hyun Young

1 2 3 4

I’ve got to be honest, I didn’t expect to see a pair of Groucho specs on this show. Anyway, it’s another interesting location – having what’s essentially a beach resort (even if it indoors) next to a ski resort sounds like an awesome idea. The members rushing through the rules and getting hit with the occasional freezing wind is pretty hilarious. Anyway, they’re finding the guest again this week. Hyun Young gets an advantage this week, as due to the location the male members all turn into Suk-Jin for this first task. And after that they all start getting carried away with going on all the slides, which, to be fair, I’d probably do too, and throughout the whole segment basically use the location as an opportunity to goof off. Also there’s a misattributed BGM song – the Blur one is actually just called Song 2. Once again the Maknae FD appears to cause trouble, and Ji-Hyo is once again really awesome at this type of task. I bet that model wandering into the men’s changing rooms fulfilled a lot of fantasies that day.

Next up we have more karaoke, and one of the better forms this game has taken, with them being in the pool meaning that we have water mics instead of the usual air blowing ones, and that there are very obvious (and very used) means of disruption. And it must be said that based on those snippets we get to see, those are some incredibly 90’s music videos. I loved the maroon team’s little choreographed starts, and I’m pretty sure there must be plenty of gifs of Gwang-Soo’s sexy dance about.

Finally, Once Chance, and it’s a brilliant one. Since the members did so well at past games, the crew have deliberately set them a difficult one this go around. They have to cross a rickety bridge over a pool, which would be difficult enough, except that the order that the members set off on the bridge is not the order that they must arrive in. And the steps are far apart, they only get one chance each to practice, they only get five chances to succeed overall… it’s really not a surprise that the crew are looking a bit smug when the trick is revealed. This is another time when there’s nothing really to pick out from an overall great segment, although Jong-Kook’s practice run is really quite something. It’s another time for these One Chance missions where you end up cheering them on and hoping they’ll succeed. And in the end….. they do.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Watching them all play and not care about the mission at all was funny as hell. You know they weren't even playing it up for TV too, dudes and gal just wanted to have fun. :v:

I loved, loved the utterly crushed looks on the production team after the cast members finished this challenge. What's funny is the production crew seems to have given up on trying to beat the cast members after this episode, they change formats from here on out. Does the one chance ever come back?

E: VVV Yeah I feel you on that one. Although I think eps 35+ is where it starts to pick back up, with 38 going back into full swing.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 15, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Yeah, Ep 31 has my favorite One Chance by far. And sadly it's the final One Chance in RM history (at least thus far). But what a challenge to go out on.

Everything about this episode is fun as heck. I kind of feel like after this one, the show goes on a tiny bit of a rut until we get to the ingenious Ep 38.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I think the one chance stuff stopped because the cast was just so successful at avoiding the penalty and filming the penalty is to the benefit of the production team.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I felt so bad for HaHa when he found out the girl he took a liking to was one of Hyun Young's helpers. Was also pretty funny when Ji-Hyo randomly opened a door and it unexpectedly led back outside.

Don't really have much else to say about this episode. It was just a solid, fun, episode filled with good times. Everything I could say about it is already in everyone else's mind, so let's just love this episode forever.

I also went ahead and watched the next episode last night, since it took place on Valentine's Day.