Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Yeah I've only flipped through and tweaked a few presets, but the more effects-y ones are really inspirational. Haven't tried it out as just a basic LP/BP/HP yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Saw 7 new posts and hoped, for the briefest moment, that there was news of Live 9. I'm happy with 8 and done with chasing toolsets, but there is a part of me that really wants some new scenery.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So I downloaded some .als file where Deadmau5 was loving around with some dub-steppy poo poo and I noticed he had this on his master track -

It seems he mixes everything at like -23db and then uses this set up to bump everything up. My question is, does mixing at that low a volume and then boosting this way contribute to a loss of "resolution" in your tracks? I'm guessing it doesn't since Mr. Mau5 seems to be doing it, I've just never seen so much poo poo on a master track before.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it should be OK, but what's good for him likely won't work for everyone. It's probably ok to try out and see for yourself.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
This SoundOnSound article recommends (for 24 bit recording) "the average signal level should hover [at -18dBFS] most of the time. Peaks can be way over that, of course, typically kicking up to around -10dBFS or so. Drums, being largely transient peaks, will be kicking up there regularly. If the material you are recording is well controlled and predictable in terms of its peak levels ... you could legitimately reduce the headroom safety margin if you really want to. But in practice there is little point."

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Where can I find said deadmau5 .als? I would nerd out over that for hours.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Thoogsby posted:

Where can I find said deadmau5 .als? I would nerd out over that for hours.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3cqypc6d7zx0n01

It's actually not that exciting because he bounced out the bass files to just one audio track so you can't see how he made them. I do like the sounds though and it's fun to play Audio Detective and try to figure out how the hell he did them

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Ok, here's a question. I know that when you warp a track it'll start to peak above 0 because of the file conversion it does or something. But then if I'm just editing a track by only cutting and rearranging parts of it and not affecting the sound at all, should I put a limiter on the master before exporting the result? And if I don't, will it clip horribly or will it just sound like the same volume as the original?

Lank
Sep 16, 2002

WHERE IS THE CHANCELLOR?!

Can anyone with Live 8 tell me what the upgrade to Suite costs? I'm taking the plunge soon upgrading my lite demo version I got from some hardware to either Live 8 or Live Suite.

If there's an additionally large leap to go from Live to Suite vs going straight to Suite right away, I might just go to Suite immediately to save potential money down the line.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Lank posted:

Can anyone with Live 8 tell me what the upgrade to Suite costs? I'm taking the plunge soon upgrading my lite demo version I got from some hardware to either Live 8 or Live Suite.

If there's an additionally large leap to go from Live to Suite vs going straight to Suite right away, I might just go to Suite immediately to save potential money down the line.

If you go to Ableton's site and log in it should tell you. It has the ability to query what you already own.

I think it's around $150 extra.

Lank
Sep 16, 2002

Mandals posted:

If you go to Ableton's site and log in it should tell you. It has the ability to query what you already own.

I think it's around $150 extra.

Yeah I don't have Live yet. That's what I meant, when I log in my upgrade from Lite to Live (download) right now is like $329 and the upgrade to Suite (download) is $579. I wanted to know what the jump from Live TO Suite would be if I just got Live now. If the combined total of both upgrades would be more than just going straight to Suite then I'd just bite the bullet and go to Suite right away since I think I might want it down the line.

And I'm guessing it's more than $150 or else it would be cheaper to go to Live first and then immediately upgrade again to Suite which doesn't make sense.

Lank fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 10, 2012

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Lank posted:

Yeah I don't have Live yet. That's what I meant, when I log in my upgrade from Lite to Live (download) right now is like $329 and the upgrade to Suite (download) is $579. I wanted to know what the jump from Live TO Suite [b]would[b] be if I just got Live now. If the combined total of both upgrades would be more than just going straight to Suite then I'd just bite the bullet and go to Suite right away since I think I might want it down the line.

And I'm guessing it's more than $150 or else it would be cheaper to go to Live first and then immediately upgrade again to Suite which doesn't make sense.

It's $259

Lank
Sep 16, 2002

Thoogsby posted:

It's $259

Thanks. Kudos to them for just splitting the difference.

vvvvv Sorry :saddowns:

Lank fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 10, 2012

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Dammit. Nothing for days then 5 posts - thought it was 9 related.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Has anyone encountered any good tutorials for Ableton's built-in reverb effect. As opposed to shelling out for some VST I'd rather just get a good handle on the ableton effect.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The way I got my head around it (or at least started to) was to dig into the presets it comes with (and the Racked versions under Audio Effect Racks). I'm not crazy about how it sounds for really long tails, but it's OK.

Does anyone have a good method for making the low end (sub 200hz or so) into mono? I can see there's M/S options in EQ8, but it's not really clear how they work. Is there a crash course on this kicking around?

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

dolphins are gay posted:

The way I got my head around it (or at least started to) was to dig into the presets it comes with (and the Racked versions under Audio Effect Racks). I'm not crazy about how it sounds for really long tails, but it's OK.

Does anyone have a good method for making the low end (sub 200hz or so) into mono? I can see there's M/S options in EQ8, but it's not really clear how they work. Is there a crash course on this kicking around?

If your question is just how to make a track mono, the way I always do it is with utility. There's a stock mono preset.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Thoogsby posted:

Has anyone encountered any good tutorials for Ableton's built-in reverb effect. As opposed to shelling out for some VST I'd rather just get a good handle on the ableton effect.
IMO, Live's native reverb is weak sauce. There's something about the timber of the reverb itself that's off to my ears. Maybe some people go for that digital sound, but it's not my flavor.

Your mileage may vary.

Something to keep in mind about the stuff that comes built into Live is that Live is really geared towards performing music on the fly. The plugins that are native to Live demonstrate this mentality. They try to use as little CPU as is reasonably possible, and give you all the basic controls up front. This is useful for live tweaking, but for professional grade studio results you're probably going to need to turn elsewhere.

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 12, 2012

jeffreyheart
Feb 13, 2012
Live's reverb is not really the best yea.

If you're using it on a send put an eq after it and you can pull some of that nasty harsh high end out of it. I realize it has the dampening and such but i find this method to be more effective.

no.op
Oct 27, 2007
Yeah, the Live reverb sucks.

ValhallaRoom is a cheap, great, versatile reverb. Bunch of different algorithms, sounds wonderful. UI is bare bones, everything else is lush as hell. Wish it had been around before I bought the other ones I don't use anymore (hardware and software). Best deal in a plugin you will find.

Reverb is one of those things were a good one makes a big difference. You can screw around with a crappy one for a long while and it will come out sounding okay. Slap a preset from a good one on and it immediately sounds great. Worth getting one good one (Live's isn't a good one)

Edit: all that said, a lot of my favorite records were made with reverbs a lot shittier than Live's, so use what you got. But a good reverb is easier and quicker to use, you use less of it, and it's an effect you use on almost everything in the mix so it's worth finding one you really like.

no.op fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 14, 2012

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Yeah I bought Valhallaroom last night after some quality Musician's Loungin' and immediately felt I had made a good purchase.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I downloaded the Valhallaroom demo. Haven't gotten a good chance to play with it but whoever thought it was a good idea to have all the presets default at 100% Dry/Wet is an rear end in a top hat.

no.op
Oct 27, 2007
Put reverb on a bus (unless it is a big special effect for just one part like a pad). Adjust the send to change the amount of reverb, the plugin itself should be at 100%. In general you want multiple parts feeding the same verb, even if some of them are doing so very subtly, because you're trying to get them to all sound like they're in the same place.

This also lets you change the pan, stereo spread, etc of just the reverb part separately. I do this with prominent delay parts too for exactly that reason, send the delay off to a bus where I can make just the delay part wider, or EQ it, or side chain it, instead of just slapping a delay on the insert and calling it a day.

Insert the standard "rules were made to be broken" disclaimer, etc.

Also be sure to check out the Dark modes in Valhalla, they're great.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Thoogsby posted:

I downloaded the Valhallaroom demo. Haven't gotten a good chance to play with it but whoever thought it was a good idea to have all the presets default at 100% Dry/Wet is an rear end in a top hat.
Send effect man.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
That is something that both AudioDamage and Valhalla do. They are big proponents of the old analog console workflow which consists of far less insert effects, and more send/return effects.

My Ableton templates all have a Valhalla reverb + UHE or AudioDamage delay on separate sends.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Thoogsby posted:

If you click or maybe shift-click the mix label it will lock the mix setting even when you change presets.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Or if you don't wanna use a return track, toss the plug into a rack device and make your own wet/dry control.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
"Ah, I'll shell out for Ableton Suite. That way I won't need to get anything else!"

"Well poo poo, I have to get studio monitors and headphones to use this program properly. But after that I'm good."

"Hmm.. Massive seems REALLY versatile. Fills some gaps that Operator can't. I'll buy that. After that, I won't need anything else!"

"Haha that Sausage Fattener video was hilarious. I'll buy it since it's only $25 and those guys seem cool. But after that, I'm pretty solid."

"Hmm.. the guys on the forums are saying Ableton's reverb sucks? Valhallaroom is only $50 and if it's amazing, I probably should have it. Reverb is super important."

Can everyone just stop inventing digital audio poo poo for awhile :qq:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/producer/komplete-8-ultimate/

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Anal Surgery posted:

"Ah, I'll shell out for Ableton Suite. That way I won't need to get anything else!"

"Well poo poo, I have to get studio monitors and headphones to use this program properly. But after that I'm good."

"Hmm.. Massive seems REALLY versatile. Fills some gaps that Operator can't. I'll buy that. After that, I won't need anything else!"

"Haha that Sausage Fattener video was hilarious. I'll buy it since it's only $25 and those guys seem cool. But after that, I'm pretty solid."

"Hmm.. the guys on the forums are saying Ableton's reverb sucks? Valhallaroom is only $50 and if it's amazing, I probably should have it. Reverb is super important."

At least you haven't gotten caught up in the world of hardware synths.

More like waves which sells a plug-in bundle with an MSRP of over $6000.

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=175

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 16, 2012

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anal Surgery posted:

I literally did all of this.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

I literally did all of this.

Yep. Same here. 'Chasing the toolset' is super dangerous in terms of distractions and usually almost always a waste of time. I've stopped buying anything software-related for that reason and have instead gone back to things I actually use, like guitars.

I was much more productive when I was limited by the analog toolset. Having too many options can lead to paralysis. I write quite a bit in Ableton, but increasingly I've gone back to my earlier mantra of "if it doesn't work in 4 tracks it won't work in 8, or 16, or 32."

EDIT - I'm still buying the gently caress out of Ableton 9 when it comes out. :smithicide:

Mandals fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 16, 2012

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

So I just got Ableton and am a complete beginner but I've figured out how to do a couple of basic things in the program. The way that I have learned best so far is through taking .asl and messing with them to get an idea what everything means in the program (like the dead-mau-5 one a page or 2 back).

I was wondering if there was a place to pick up files like these so I can see how to work them. If you have any that are Uk garage, purple, or Future garage I am really interested in seeing them.

I was also trying to figure out how to play sample clips using a normal keyboard and I would also really appreciate any tutorials on how to set this up. I have read a little bit of the manual and I'm probably gonna dig more into it but any links or advice would be great.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Tavistock posted:

I was also trying to figure out how to play sample clips using a normal keyboard and I would also really appreciate any tutorials on how to set this up. I have read a little bit of the manual and I'm probably gonna dig more into it but any links or advice would be great.

Here's the short version. To play one sample at different pitches, use a sampler or simpler device. To play different samples at each pitch, use a drum rack and drop your samples into the different slots, each of which corresponds to a single note.

And if by "a normal keyboard" you mean a computer keyboard, you can toggle on the small musical keyboard -looking icon on the top right and then you can use the asdfghjkl-keys (and a couple ones above them that represent the black keys on a piano) and play away! Remember to arm the track you want to play with: there's a button for it in the mixer area of the tracks in the arrangement/session views.

Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar
I've used Ableton for a few DJ sets (funnily enough with a name that abbreviates to SA). I love it except I continue to run into problems with Ableton correctly reading tracks I import.

Tracks will either import with a portion cut off or with an empty waveform, in both cases at the end of the track. Has anyone else experienced this issue and knows of a fix?

Afterlith fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 20, 2012

bobquartz
Jan 29, 2009

Mandals posted:

Yep. Same here. 'Chasing the toolset' is super dangerous in terms of distractions and usually almost always a waste of time. I've stopped buying anything software-related for that reason and have instead gone back to things I actually use, like guitars.

I was much more productive when I was limited by the analog toolset. Having too many options can lead to paralysis. I write quite a bit in Ableton, but increasingly I've gone back to my earlier mantra of "if it doesn't work in 4 tracks it won't work in 8, or 16, or 32."

EDIT - I'm still buying the gently caress out of Ableton 9 when it comes out. :smithicide:

Yeah I definitely agree with this statement. It's funny how long you can spend searching around for various sounds in plugins and presets. I always seem to do my best work when I use an analog tool and build it from the ground up rather than having a specific sound in mind.

jeffreyheart
Feb 13, 2012

Afterlith posted:

Tracks will either import with a portion cut off or with an empty waveform, in both cases at the end of the track. Has anyone else experienced this issue and knows of a fix?

Turn off auto warp long samples in pref pane.
Do not import mp3s. Live cannot playback mp3s, and will encode a new wav and place it in the decoding cache. You need to batch transcode any mp3s to wav or aiff and store then somewhere smart or you'll end up with a giant decoding cache full of transcoding improperly labeled "mp3's".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bobquartz posted:

It's funny how long you can spend searching around for various sounds in plugins and presets. I always seem to do my best work when I use an analog tool and build it from the ground up rather than having a specific sound in mind.
This is the curse of the gear-slut. I have worse GAS than every guitarist I know, and it tends to only hinder my productivity. Honestly, look at all the loving oscillators in Massive (for example), and then think about how many of them you use on a regular basis. I was just talking about this with some friends, but I think the #1 reason I have so much trouble finishing things is too many loving options to get a good timbre that still has pleasing movement. I now have two mantras: 'Keep It Simple, Stupid' as mentioned before, and the oft-important 'Don't gently caress Around'. When you're high, every oscillator/LFO/distortion combo sounds somewhat pleasing.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 23, 2012

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I actually have made patches using at least 75% of the OSCs in Massive since I got it a couple of weeks ago, but I do agree that limited options speed up the production process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar

jeffreyheart posted:

Turn off auto warp long samples in pref pane.
Do not import mp3s. Live cannot playback mp3s, and will encode a new wav and place it in the decoding cache. You need to batch transcode any mp3s to wav or aiff and store then somewhere smart or you'll end up with a giant decoding cache full of transcoding improperly labeled "mp3's".
Does this apply to FLACs too?