Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

SlayVus posted:

So why does each stylus I've seen all have large points? I've tried to find a fine point stylus, but the few I've seen have a fine pont that require you to attach a circular disc at the end.

Is there a TRUE fine point stylus out there? Like ones used on computer drawing tablets.
From what I understand, most tablets aren't made to detect small points, so you have to use the ones with the clear discs if you want something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

E2M2 posted:

720p playback is bad on all Tegra2 devices right? I think if you encode them a certain way they will play back better.

No, that is 1080p High Profile that won't work right.

720p should be fine unless you are trying to play a MKV file. MKV files get iffy. Best player I've found for my OG Transformer is Dice Player. I use ES File Explorer to connect to my media server on my network and open and stream it through Dice Player.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

donglelord posted:

No, that is 1080p High Profile that won't work right.

720p should be fine unless you are trying to play a MKV file. MKV files get iffy. Best player I've found for my OG Transformer is Dice Player. I use ES File Explorer to connect to my media server on my network and open and stream it through Dice Player.
720p high profile (and non-high profiles with certain encoding characteristics) don't work well on Tegra 2's in general. Tegra3 seems to handle it better though.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

SlayVus posted:

So why does each stylus I've seen all have large points? I've tried to find a fine point stylus, but the few I've seen have a fine pont that require you to attach a circular disc at the end.

Is there a TRUE fine point stylus out there? Like ones used on computer drawing tablets.

No. They are completely different technologies. Capacitive digitizers aren't any good for precision.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SlayVus posted:

Also, I sent my Prime in for RMA last week. The rma status page says they haven't received it yet. My delivery receipt said it would be delivered on saturday(USPS). How long should I wait until I contact asus to see if they received it?

Track the package and see if it was delivered.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Track the package and see if it was delivered.

I have no tracking code, but it was insured for $550. I still have the receipt and receipt of insurance.

I might go to the post office tomorrow after classes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Looking around, I think im just gonna pick up a XOOM on ebay. The going rate for a nice one on there seems to be ~320-350 and honestly I think that's totally reasonable.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looking around, I think im just gonna pick up a XOOM on ebay. The going rate for a nice one on there seems to be ~320-350 and honestly I think that's totally reasonable.

I'm sure you could get a Transformer or Iconia for around that used too.

Transformer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004U78J1G/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1329201043&sr=8-1&condition=used

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The Xoom really is a great tablet. I loved it even when it was on Honeycomb, so ICS was jaw-dropping for me.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

randyest posted:

720p high profile (and non-high profiles with certain encoding characteristics) don't work well on Tegra 2's in general. Tegra3 seems to handle it better though.

Yeah, I got into an inadvertent pissing match with a guy in the previous android thread about this.

Basically mkv playback on Tegra 2 is spotty unless you encode all your media with a very specific set of profile options. So for most people it's not a good mkv playback device unless you're planning on re-encoding your files or are running a transcoder to stream.

Teg 3 apparently has enough muscle to handle pretty much everything, although I still haven't seen an actual thorough test of that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

E2M2 posted:

I'm sure you could get a Transformer or Iconia for around that used too.

Transformer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004U78J1G/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1329201043&sr=8-1&condition=used

I really like Motorolas build quality on their products though. I've really only heard good things about the Xooms build quality also.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
When's the next Tegra3 coming out? Do we have any dates on that yet?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SlayVus posted:

I have no tracking code, but it was insured for $550. I still have the receipt and receipt of insurance.

I might go to the post office tomorrow after classes.

Speaking as a guy who ships stuff for a living, without a tracking number you're at the absolute mercy of the Postal Service. Tracking codes are the only defense.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I really like Motorolas build quality on their products though. I've really only heard good things about the Xooms build quality also.

Yeah, it's not exactly lightweight but it even feels like a solid product. My GNex is fantastic under the hood but it feels cheap, in comparison.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Frozen-Solid posted:

When's the next Tegra3 coming out? Do we have any dates on that yet?
MWC is the end of the month, there will probably be phone and tablet announcements then.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you do have to get a tablet right now, the original Transformer 16gb is $299 at circuitcity.com. Might be a decent bet for chocolateTHUNDER for a new refurbished (my bad, need to read good) tablet, but I think that's assuming it will get ICS soon. Otherwise, the Xoom for a little more, even used, is probably better.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Wait, at where? :zombie:

I wonder who owns that domain now?

e:\/\/\/ Oh, cool.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 14, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

Wait, at where? :zombie:

I wonder who owns that domain now?

Systemax, same guys behind Tiger Direct (who also bought the CompUSA.com trademark too).

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just noticed the developer settings on my Prime. Is there any point in turning forced GPU rendering for 2d apps? I only find the twitter clients to be kinda sluggish when it comes to UI lag.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Angry Spaniard posted:

I just noticed the developer settings on my Prime. Is there any point in turning forced GPU rendering for 2d apps? I only find the twitter clients to be kinda sluggish when it comes to UI lag.

It can improve performance of some things. It can also cause some apps to misbehave.

Devs can turn on the acceleration with a flag in their app and if they were built right they should all accelerate fine. That checkbox ignores the flag and just forces them to accelerate.

However, you can get graphical glitches (or crashing) on some apps if it is forced on.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Hey if anyone has a broken/useless Iconia (A500), I'm interested in buying it from you. PM me if interested.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Any news on the ASUS MeMo, other than it being a 7" Transformer Prime?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nothing since it was shown at CES.

MWC is the end of the month, there will probably be phone and tablet announcements then.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, ASUS has finally started working on my Prime. I am hopeful on getting it back by next week.

I sent it in for holes(possible pitting) in the aluminum back plate. I had waited for about two weeks before sending it in when another problem showed up. The tablet wouldn't charge any more and I could access it when connected to my PC by the USB cable. Right before I shipped it off, I decided to open it up and noticed I had a unit with a messed up WiFi antenna.

This is what it looks like, not mine, but looks just like it. Anyone see what the problem is?

http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachdl/2caf020a1939613689fd118601c4776d/4f3afe02/8/8/6/3/5/7/FlawedWIFIPCB.jpg

Between the copper contact and the copper antenna the circuitry does not connect
http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachdl/650c4b3cbf73b1fd0f49889ce82f6a76/4f3afdeb/8/8/6/3/5/8/FlawedWIFIPCB2.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Looks like some lovely QC from the Asus factories.

If you've read about Chinese factories at all its not that rare of an occurance.

Especially when a product like the Transformer Prime is rushed like it was.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Splizwarf posted:

Speaking as a guy who ships stuff for a living, without a tracking number you're at the absolute mercy of the Postal Service. Tracking codes are the only defense.

Do you use a shipping company or do you just hurl boxes across the continent?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Splizwarf posted:

Yea delivery conf is like 19c if you do your postage online. No reason not to do it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Yea delivery conf is like 19c if you do your postage online. No reason not to do it.

I've never encountered an issue with someone not receiving a delivery confirmation package, but I've always wondered...what do you do if (Asus) says they don't have it? Do you just read the delivery confirmation over and over and tell them "I KNOW IT'S THERE IT SAYS SO HERE."

Just curious if you have any recourse at all. I've always thought not...

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

hotsauce posted:

I've never encountered an issue with someone not receiving a delivery confirmation package, but I've always wondered...what do you do if (Asus) says they don't have it? Do you just read the delivery confirmation over and over and tell them "I KNOW IT'S THERE IT SAYS SO HERE."

Just curious if you have any recourse at all. I've always thought not...

I had a dispute years ago with newegg over some gear that I needed returns on. I got delivery confirmation on the stuff when it shipped, and after 3 weeks when I hadn't heard anything from newegg or gotten my charges reversed I called them up and they said they never received anything. I went and got all the delivery and tracking information, even the goddamned signature of the idiot at the warehouse that signed for it and they refused to believe that they had lost it somewhere in their warehouse. Went back and forth for another 2 weeks where they just wouldn't budge.

Finally I just said that I was going to take all of this to my CC company and they'll have no problem reversing the charges when I show them this mountain of evidence that you're trying to steal my money, you can deal with that shitshow while i get my money back and bow out. Not to mention let every single website that reviews online stores know how terribly you treat customers who have done nothing wrong and simply would like to return some items. 2 days later they capitulated and I got my money back.

And I've never used them since.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

You could look into this one and see if it fits your bill.
http://lepantab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81

Is there a reason why this thing is $279.99? because it seems like its too good to be true. I've been thinking about getting the nook tablet but I would spend a little more for a bigger screen.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Because designed and manufactured in China.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TontoCorazon posted:

Is there a reason why this thing is $279.99? because it seems like its too good to be true. I've been thinking about getting the nook tablet but I would spend a little more for a bigger screen.

No Apple/Samsung tax.

Plus, if the iPad 2's price gets dropped to $299, it'll be nicely competitive...

... for people who don't need the latest and greatest, bleeding-edge tech.
I bet my mother would like one. She's not great with PCs, yet she understands her phone just fine.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Seems the Acer A200 ICS story is more rumour than evidence. I went and found a store with one, upgraded the OS, and simply found myself on a newer version of Honeycomb. I looked online and nobody except the person who broke the story seems to be able to get the update.

I like the display and nearly bought one, but I know the moment I do a similar >$400 tablet will get ICS. I made this mistake buying a carrier Galaxy S II when the Nexus was being delayed, and I'm not about to do the same error twice.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Rastor posted:

Because designed and manufactured in China.

Does this make it a bad product? Like is it like a chinese knock off or is it legit product?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

TontoCorazon posted:

Does this make it a bad product? Like is it like a chinese knock off or is it legit product?

Here's issues to consider with almost any electronics manufacturer:

-Have you dealt with them before, or know someone who has?
-How is their build quality\phone support\RMA support?
-How often do they issue software updates? Do they stay up to date when new OS versions are released such as ICS, or are products quickly EOL?
-How often do their products have a major issue, and how quickly do address them?

I don't know enough to say LePan is bad, but China-based manufacturers (especially ones trying to undercut everyone else) have tended to have poor support in the past - once it is sold to the customer, they don't really care anymore. Having said that, it looks like it is sold at some local B&M stores, so if you can easily return it somewhere if you hate it or it has major issues, I guess the risks are minimal.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Internaut! posted:

Do you use a shipping company or do you just hurl boxes across the continent?

I can see your house from here. :chord:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TontoCorazon posted:

The issue is that companies like Asus, Samsung, etc, all have huge resources put into designing, sourcing parts, and servicing retailers/customers. And think of the horror stories we still get from them.

These no-name Chinese companies have a fraction of those resources, so their products are generally poorly built (both in part choices and quality), and there's no support. Saving ~$100 isn't worth the time and headaches vs. buying an original Transformer.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Another 10' Samsung tabl...woah, is that a pen?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

gently caress yeah! Nice catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Oh boy.

Manufacturers making more androids with a stylus just doesn't seem like a good trend.

If a majority of androids start coming with a stylus then I doubt any of the companies that make android devices will have enough sense to keep from designing UI elements around having a stylus.