Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey I just got through the first level of skating in my learning skating classes. My feet hurt after like 10 minutes too. Though, I'm damned certain that I got the best fit I could. Tried on two diff brands of skates at the hockey store, and the Bauers were the best fit. They're a little narrow feeling, but everything else is nice.

The whole bottom of my foot kills me. It stops almost immediately as soon as I sit down. I always figured it had something to do with the muscles at the bottom of my feet not being used for balance like that. After a while, I stop noticing it.

But in the last two classes, the following has started happening:

1. My ankles hurt.
But only one part of each ankle, and mostly the left ankle. Both is on the outside of the ankle, a little down and to the left of where the ankle sticks out. It hurts like a bitch only in that one area. I don't know if I'm straining it or what.

2. My right foot starts to wobble sometimes when I am gliding fast. I don't get unstable and fall down, though. I don't know what the hell.

The next skating session we're going to start to learn crossovers and that should be cool. One thing I haven't been able to get the confidence to do is lean into the turn on the inside foot.

Anything I should notice when a newbie likes myself needs to sharpen skates again? It's only been six classes for about an hour and 10 minutes each, but I am still new and I think i'm stepping on the skates way too hard when I try to get some momentum sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

1. My ankles hurt.
But only one part of each ankle, and mostly the left ankle. Both is on the outside of the ankle, a little down and to the left of where the ankle sticks out. It hurts like a bitch only in that one area. I don't know if I'm straining it or what.
The sore ankles could mean the skate is too loose. You should be able to lean into the boot without your ankle bending too much.. if they're too loose you'll be forcing your ankle to carry all the weight and get pain like you describe.

quote:

Anything I should notice when a newbie likes myself needs to sharpen skates again? It's only been six classes for about an hour and 10 minutes each, but I am still new and I think i'm stepping on the skates way too hard when I try to get some momentum sometimes.

You should be stepping hard.. make the ice your bitch. Push against those edges as hard as you need to, when you hear that crackling noise you know you're doing it right.

I sharpen mine about every 6 weeks, or 15-20 hours of skating. I'd like to sharpen more frequently, but I don't trust pro shops and the store I do trust is ~45 minutes away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

2. My right foot starts to wobble sometimes when I am gliding fast. I don't get unstable and fall down, though. I don't know what the hell.

This used to happen to me all the time when I started too. When I started truckin, my skates would start to wobble. This was especially lovely on a breakaway.

Anyway, I think this solves itself over time as you develop your technique. Probably something about developing ankle flexibility and strength.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Doctor Butts posted:

The whole bottom of my foot kills me. It stops almost immediately as soon as I sit down. I always figured it had something to do with the muscles at the bottom of my feet not being used for balance like that. After a while, I stop noticing it.

Superfeet insoles. In my old lovely Bauers I had that issue and superfeet solved it. Then I got nice, expensive Bauers and tried to use the stock insoles in those and my feet hurt again until I swapped in the superfeet and then it was perfect.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

sellouts posted:

If you think you are good (or even serviceable) at hockey and/or your strengths involve speed, accurate passing, or shooting, you should try playing in a pond hockey tournament. That'll knock you down a few pegs.

or

If you think you've got chemistry with some friends you play with, you should try playing in a pond hockey tournament. It'll be a good test and chemistry is easily the most important thing if you want to do well.

That being said it is really, really, really fun.

This is the truth. The guys who win these things are usually 45 years old and 50 pounds overweight. They barely skate and every play is pass-pass-pass-pass-goal.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'd like to do one of those one day, like that really large one held yearly up in Wisconsin.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All but locked up third place last night. We just need to beat the last-place team next week.

Yay for finally having a favorable playoff matchup :toot:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

sellouts posted:

If you think you are good (or even serviceable) at hockey and/or your strengths involve speed, accurate passing, or shooting, you should try playing in a pond hockey tournament. That'll knock you down a few pegs.

or

If you think you've got chemistry with some friends you play with, you should try playing in a pond hockey tournament. It'll be a good test and chemistry is easily the most important thing if you want to do well.

That being said it is really, really, really fun.

Was this the huge tourny up in Minny/Wisky? Jelly.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This used to happen to me all the time when I started too. When I started truckin, my skates would start to wobble. This was especially lovely on a breakaway.

Anyway, I think this solves itself over time as you develop your technique. Probably something about developing ankle flexibility and strength.

I've noticed that shifting my weight back onto my heels slightly stops the wobbling.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Awesome Animals posted:

Was this the huge tourny up in Minny/Wisky? Jelly.

Yeah, pond hockey championships up in Eagle River, WI. Something like 268 teams? bewbies and I played on a team that I put together from various leagues I've played in.

I'll post a few pictures once i get some more pictures from everyone.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
So, I'll be playing goalie for a Never-Ever team this Friday. I've been playing hockey for 14 years now as a forward, but the only goalie I've ever really played has been in ball hockey. I'm going to try to hit a few practice type things, but being that it's in a Never-Ever league... I'll be on a pretty good pace with everyone else in terms of skill of the position.

Are there any people on here who play both out and in net, or switched from playing out to playing goalie? I could use a couple pointers to make me less horrible at it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What does never-ever mean?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What does never-ever mean?
The newest of the new. Never-Ever as in like "never ever have I played." This is a bit of a loose definition, as not everyone in the league is fresh to the game. The skill level is still very low. It's the league for people who wake up at age 32 and decide they want to play hockey.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Vital Signs posted:

So, I'll be playing goalie for a Never-Ever team this Friday. I've been playing hockey for 14 years now as a forward, but the only goalie I've ever really played has been in ball hockey. I'm going to try to hit a few practice type things, but being that it's in a Never-Ever league... I'll be on a pretty good pace with everyone else in terms of skill of the position.

Are there any people on here who play both out and in net, or switched from playing out to playing goalie? I could use a couple pointers to make me less horrible at it.
Never-ever league where/with who/against who?

Get the most out of your skating strides. Your best bet in terms of skating is to get where you need to go with one push, not two. So, push all the way through and make sure you get your toe flick in.

When you b'fly, drive your knees to the ice, don't just fall.

Keep your hands out front.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

coldwind posted:

Never-ever league where/with who/against who?

Get the most out of your skating strides. Your best bet in terms of skating is to get where you need to go with one push, not two. So, push all the way through and make sure you get your toe flick in.

When you b'fly, drive your knees to the ice, don't just fall.

Keep your hands out front.
A2 never ever at the cube.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Vital Signs posted:

A2 never ever at the cube.

Who are you playing for?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Vital Signs posted:

The newest of the new. Never-Ever as in like "never ever have I played." This is a bit of a loose definition, as not everyone in the league is fresh to the game. The skill level is still very low. It's the league for people who wake up at age 32 and decide they want to play hockey.

Hey that's me except i'm 34 and learning how to skate :D

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

Ahh. Yeah this is pretty much my team. We all started 2 years ago and for the most part, are still together finishing up our 3rd season together.

But honestly, it's mostly a beer-drinking club, with an hour of hockey beforehand.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Do any of you guys that play at the cube play outside of Ann Arbor at all? If so, where? Just curious.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Gio posted:

Do any of you guys that play at the cube play outside of Ann Arbor at all? If so, where? Just curious.

When I visit home I'll go to drop in at Wings stadium. Otherwise I just play at the cube for the most part.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Vital Signs posted:

Just by playing hockey for 14 years you are a step ahead of them. You'll be more comfortable just being on the ice, even if it is in goal. You'll be fine. Goalie is a lot of fun even if you're normally a skater. Once you realize a slapshot doesn't actually hurt, you're fine.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

lizardking posted:

When I visit home I'll go to drop in at Wings stadium. Otherwise I just play at the cube for the most part.

With ya'll talking about the cube it makes me think of people playing hockey around the giant rotating cube behind the Union and how that should be in the middle of this make-believe rink. I'm sad I never played hockey while in A2.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Funkutron5000 posted:

With ya'll talking about the cube it makes me think of people playing hockey around the giant rotating cube behind the Union and how that should be in the middle of this make-believe rink. I'm sad I never played hockey while in A2.

I always think of Madison Cube Garden. :colbert:

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

lizardking posted:

Who are you playing for?
I play for Bull Schlitz in C league, I'll be playing for Lol-Fail in Never Ever.

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey that's me except i'm 34 and learning how to skate :D

That's nothing, my 60 year old father started ice skating a few years ago...a few months after I got my first pair as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think 34 is the point where you realize "holy poo poo I'm going to be old soon, I gotta do this stuff before my body goes completely to hell."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's like a 65-70 year old dude who plays in my league. 2 fake knees and he's still kickin' it. Balls of steel.

I'm always afraid to put a shoulder on the dude. Knocking him over would make me feel so :smith:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

SecretSquirrel posted:

That's nothing, my 60 year old father started ice skating a few years ago...a few months after I got my first pair as well.

My dad decided at age 65 that he wanted to (re)learn to ice skate. The last time he'd done it was 40 years ago. So he asked if I wanted to tag along and I said sure. It's his fault I play hockey. (As a side note, he does not.)

Also, holy crap do I love playing D. It's the most awesome loving position.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

My dad decided at age 65 that he wanted to (re)learn to ice skate. The last time he'd done it was 40 years ago. So he asked if I wanted to tag along and I said sure. It's his fault I play hockey. (As a side note, he does not.)

Also, holy crap do I love playing D. It's the most awesome loving position.

It really is

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Defense is legalized trolling, your job exists solely to ruin someone else's fun.

If it's a "never passes" toe dragging hotshot, all the better.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
My mom started playing at age 50 when she joined a "motherpuckers" team.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I played a period on D last game. The captain of my team has some interesting ideas about roster management and for some reason decided to put our worst player, who can barely skate forward never mind backwards, on D, so I volunteered to do it instead.

Anyway, I felt like I did OK in the offensive zone and defending rushes but I was totally lost when the other team got set up in our zone. What should I be doing when they've got sustained possession in my zone? I feel like it was complicated some by our centers being largely absent or ineffective on defense.

I did block like 6 shots though (I'm not crazy, people at my level have weak-rear end shots).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

What should I be doing when they've got sustained possession in my zone?

My experience as a forward says, "Crosscheck other forwards in the back constantly when within 25 feet of the crease."

You won't ever get called for a penalty.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thufir posted:

I played a period on D last game. The captain of my team has some interesting ideas about roster management and for some reason decided to put our worst player, who can barely skate forward never mind backwards, on D, so I volunteered to do it instead.

Anyway, I felt like I did OK in the offensive zone and defending rushes but I was totally lost when the other team got set up in our zone. What should I be doing when they've got sustained possession in my zone? I feel like it was complicated some by our centers being largely absent or ineffective on defense.

I did block like 6 shots though (I'm not crazy, people at my level have weak-rear end shots).
Play your side of the ice, pressure the puck carrier if he's on your side and cover the front of the net if it's not. (Be aware of guys trying to pinch in and/or sneak in the backdoor.) It's a bit of a careful balance between pressuring the puck carrier and positioning yourself to cut off a pass, which depends on the skill level of the puck carrier. If it's Datsyuk, he'll make you look stupid, so let him sit there idle in the corner. If it's Leino, try to take the puck off his stick/force him to make a dumb pass.

The worst thing that can happen is if that player gets around you and closer to the goal. Your goal is simple: keep the puck along the boards and away from the front of the net.

Gio fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 15, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you feel like the offense isn't getting any pressure, yell at your forwards. There should be at least two of them angling to make a move on the puck at all times. If they whine that they're tired tell them to get the puck sooner then they won't be tired. :v:

Defense does have an assignment to pressure, but the primary mission is keeping shots off the net. Don't charge the puck unless you're sure you're gonna win or you have backup.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Thufir posted:

This is actually something we've done (although the dude could at least skate backwards) and the reasoning behind is to shame somebody into volunteering to drop back. As in, we're short a D, no one is volunteering, the guys that always get forced back are sick of it, so you just say "Alright boys, so-and-so is playing D" and pray that somebody that normally wouldn't play D but is better than him will feel shame and volunteer.

Of course sometimes it backfires and you lose the game because no one volunteered and it's 3-0 after he takes 2 shifts, but what can ya do?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Minister Robathan posted:

This is actually something we've done (although the dude could at least skate backwards) and the reasoning behind is to shame somebody into volunteering to drop back. As in, we're short a D, no one is volunteering, the guys that always get forced back are sick of it, so you just say "Alright boys, so-and-so is playing D" and pray that somebody that normally wouldn't play D but is better than him will feel shame and volunteer.

Of course sometimes it backfires and you lose the game because no one volunteered and it's 3-0 after he takes 2 shifts, but what can ya do?

Yeah, that wasn't the deal with us though. We have several guys willing to play D but our captain thinks we need to score more goals so he sticks some of our better players overall (who normally play D) up at forward and then we lose 6-1.

Really wish we didn't have "can't skate guy" on our team though, we're essentially PKing every other shift since he can't even get anywhere fast enough to be in the way.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

One year in spring league I remember we had a really decent team, with one "can't skate guy"... who just happened to be the goalie. I'm pretty sure his SV% that spring was 50%.

We had some pretty high scoring games, to say the least.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

I'm so conditioned to blocking shots from long years of ice that I block them even when it doesn't make sense. Like going down to block shots in roller or dek. It's not like I could get seriously hurt really but that poo poo still stings with the minimal padding you wear in dek/roller if you get hit in the wrong spot.

I can't turn it off, though. Once you're a defenseman and you've played ice long enough it just becomes ingrained in your blood.

Of course I have a lot of horror stories too about trying to block shots and deflecting them into my own net. Ask T-Bone about the one time I tried to glove down a puck that was being shot at him only I failed to catch it and it tipped off my glove and into the net on him in a tournament in a game we were winning 2-1 no less :(.

It's ok though 99% of the time blocking shots is incredibly rewarding and fun if you do it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've blocked a few shots, I lack the speed or prediction powers at this point to properly anticipate the shot and get in front of it.

The last time I played defense was soccer back in high school. :smith: