Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
I agree with Lone Rogue 100% about how they should have had the Macho Man as a mole. That would have made up for how lovely turning him was. Especially considering all the bad blood between him and Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

bobkatt013 posted:

How does this make Hogan look good and everyone else bad?

Well, in theory you do give Hogan some ammo to make heelish claims that "Stinger stole that title, brother! He didn't earn it!"

But, yeah, I get your point. It's why 'Creative Control' is such a completely retarded idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

the_Vandal posted:

I agree with Lone Rogue 100% about how they should have had the Macho Man as a mole. That would have made up for how lovely turning him was. Especially considering all the bad blood between him and Hogan.

The trouble with this would be that Savage quite blatantly kept the belt on Hogan by (hilariously belatedly) hauling Hogan under the ropes about 3-4 seconds AFTER Piper had won the belt by putting Hogan to sleep, and the decision was overturned. If the aim was to get the belt off of Hogan, why would a mole Savage stopped him from losing it to Piper.

I do despair though that they didn't pick up on the idea of Sting putting together an army of trusty guys to combat the nWo - Sting, Savage, DDP, The Giant and even dumb ol' Lex Luger would have made for a formidable team.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I never understood why WCW never teamed up against the nWo. You'd have battle royals like WW3 where the nWo just sat there and did nothing while all the WCW guys fought each other.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

The trouble with this would be that Savage quite blatantly kept the belt on Hogan by (hilariously belatedly) hauling Hogan under the ropes about 3-4 seconds AFTER Piper had won the belt by putting Hogan to sleep, and the decision was overturned. If the aim was to get the belt off of Hogan, why would a mole Savage stopped him from losing it to Piper.

I do despair though that they didn't pick up on the idea of Sting putting together an army of trusty guys to combat the nWo - Sting, Savage, DDP, The Giant and even dumb ol' Lex Luger would have made for a formidable team.

They would still betray him. Maybe not to the NWO but they would betray him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh absolutely, that's a given. But for a little while, at least, he could have thought he had true friends :shobon:

Astro7x posted:

I never understood why WCW never teamed up against the nWo. You'd have battle royals like WW3 where the nWo just sat there and did nothing while all the WCW guys fought each other.

After going through the compilations of the nWo stuff recently, I can only come to the conclusion that the WCW roster was just flat out incredibly loving stupid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

the_Vandal posted:

This is by far the worst idea. They had him beat the living poo poo out of DDP and countless other WCW wrestlers, do all sorts of lovely things to be a mole and turn on Hogan in some match that was 9 months away? This is quite possibly the worst idea.

Sting beating off the nWo and Hogan getting a belt shot nearfall? Great. Some WCW guy turning? Sure. But a guy who had been in the nWo for 9 months and done so much heinous poo poo revealing himself to be a mole? Completely loving stupid. You could have him refuse to help Hogan and set up the Wolfpac angle, or get in some scuffle during the run ins with other nWo members, but a mole? Ugh.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
What if... Elizabeth were the mole!

:aaaaa:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bocc Kob posted:

What if... Elizabeth were the mole!

:aaaaa:

Something like that would actually work well. I'm not sure how you would work it, but that would work pretty well in doing an interesting swerve but not making it seem like the turn was the thing winning Elizabeth the title.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man
I guess it would have been best if Savage had never loving turned and stood by his true friend Sting. I think Luger is the only person that never turned on Sting regardless of his face/heel alignment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Luger was like the first guy who turned on Sting and he was the one who NWO Sting jumped, so he got the closest look. Then he became the Total Package and turned on Sting every couple weeks. :v:

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man
:nyoron: My reality is crumbling down around me. :(

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

What would work here is that Sting wanted guys he felt was "legitimate to WCW". He wanted guys who wouldn't club Sting in the back after provoked because they would realize what he was about.

In other words, have Piper cut a promo afterward where he blasts WCW for their lack of defending him and then have Sting do the bat chair confrontation. Sting circles the chair, smacks the bat, then hands Piper the bat. Piper acts like he isn't going to hit Sting, goes for the swing, Sting takes the bat away and beats him down. Piper then disappears for a few months.

Maybe this isn't using Piper to the best of his value but that'd at least explain why Savage would stop Piper from winning the title. He wasn't a guy that was going to lead WCW. He was only a guy who cared about his own legacy.

Or... the simple fact that Savage is never going to get in the good graces of the nWo unless he helps Hogan retain the World Title. Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette! It's just like Sting being fine with attacking members of the Four Horsemen. If Savage is going to infiltrate the nWo and destroy it from within, he's going to have to gain their trust.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

While everyone is doing this "What if..." stuff, in Bischoff's book (i think it was his) he said that "the third man" was going to be Sting if Hogan refused the idea at the last minute. Sting was even backstage ready to do the run in, if need be. This isn't too far fetched considering how Hogan was terribly nervous about what this heel turn could do to his character. Hell, you can even see how he looks nervous when he's heading down to the ring.

Now that is a massive What If?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Crow Hogan could have collapsed WCW years ahead of time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

While everyone is doing this "What if..." stuff, in Bischoff's book (i think it was his) he said that "the third man" was going to be Sting if Hogan refused the idea at the last minute. Sting was even backstage ready to do the run in, if need be. This isn't too far fetched considering how Hogan was terribly nervous about what this heel turn could do to his character. Hell, you can even see how he looks nervous when he's heading down to the ring.

Now that is a massive What If?

So he was going to turn in the middle of the match? He was on Team WCW.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

Crow Hogan could have collapsed WCW years ahead of time.

I've literally been loling at this. The thought of Hogan dropping from the ceiling and stalking someone from the shadows is loving hilarious.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Whoops my bad on that, it was right before the match where Sting had agreed to it if Hogan didn't, but Hogan wound up doing it.

EDIT - gently caress, it's been about a year since I read Bischoff's book. It went down like that somehow. I just remember him saying that Sting was ready to be the third man if Hogan wouldn't do it.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 14, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Whoops my bad on that, it was right before the match where Sting had agreed to it if Hogan didn't, but Hogan wound up doing it.

EDIT - gently caress, it's been about a year since I read Bischoff's book. It went down like that somehow. I just remember him saying that Sting was ready to be the third man if Hogan wouldn't do it.

Also Bischoff is always full of poo poo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wonder. If Sting had turned heel to join the Outsiders, would the Outsiders have stabbed him in the back and instantly turned face again?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

bobkatt013 posted:

The back up plan was if Hogan wouldn't do the spot that Sting would've been taken out of the match the same way that Luger was (in the spot that teased a Luger turn)and then turn at the end of the match. Something amusing to note is that the thinking was that they couldn't turn Luger because he had turned so many times it would've been meaningless, but at the same time because everyone expected him to turn it made for a great misdirection spot.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

The back up plan was if Hogan wouldn't do the spot that Sting would've been taken out of the match the same way that Luger was (in the spot that teased a Luger turn)and then turn at the end of the match. Something amusing to note is that the thinking was that they couldn't turn Luger because he had turned so many times it would've been meaningless, but at the same time because everyone expected him to turn it made for a great misdirection spot.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought I remembered Bischoff saying that he had plan in case Hogan got cold feet during the match.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

I've literally been loling at this. The thought of Hogan dropping from the ceiling and stalking someone from the shadows is loving hilarious.

So guess you, like 99.99999% of the wrestling audience completely forgot about "Darkside Hogan" from 1995 WCW...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhwHPiOKQyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9_QsD4ehdM

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I-I didn't watch wrestling in '95. :stare:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nothing changed about his character though other than that he wore black. He was the same ole Hulk Hogan, saying the same catch phrases and saying the same one liners.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Astro7x posted:

Nothing changed about his character though other than that he wore black. He was the same ole Hulk Hogan, saying the same catch phrases and saying the same one liners.

So John Cena "embracing the hate"?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Those promos remind of me of "Millionare's Club" Hardcore Hogan, where he kept trying to setup tables to put people through, but (accidentally) kept breaking them while trying to correctly unfold them. It was loving hilarious.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I stopped watching WCW right before Hogan joined and didn't start watching again until the NWO began. The clips I've see of Hogan's face run seemed very cartoonish. How was the WCW midcard during that time?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

He had a glimpse of how bad that would be; Warrior's 'supernatural' gimmick; a two-bit magic act with him appearing in mirrors and exiting the ring through a trap door shrouded in dry ice.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The best part of darkside hogan is the promo where him and Savage are hanging about on Venice beach with a couple of homeless people. It's one of the most surreal segments I've ever seen, though I'm sad to say I can't seem to find it on youtube anymore.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

The best part of darkside hogan is the promo where him and Savage are hanging about on Venice beach with a couple of homeless people. It's one of the most surreal segments I've ever seen, though I'm sad to say I can't seem to find it on youtube anymore.

From the company that brought you Two Wrestlers on a Beach with Orphans, it's the sequel two years in the making... Two Wrestlers on a Beach with the Homeless!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Chunky Delight posted:

I stopped watching WCW right before Hogan joined and didn't start watching again until the NWO began. The clips I've see of Hogan's face run seemed very cartoonish. How was the WCW midcard during that time?

I fully admit I really liked WCW a lot, I used to prefer it to what the WWF was producing when I was a kid/teen.

The Hogan face period is probably one of their worst periods until things got really terrible at the end. Its really bad. Theres a reason that guys like Austin and Foley left the company during that time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FishBulb posted:

I fully admit I really liked WCW a lot, I used to prefer it to what the WWF was producing when I was a kid/teen.

The Hogan face period is probably one of their worst periods until things got really terrible at the end. Its really bad. Theres a reason that guys like Austin and Foley left the company during that time.

Same here, and totally agree, Hulk's face run was basically WCW's Super Cena, and it caused a lot of legit talent to flee the ship.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chunky Delight posted:

See Uncensored '96... they just kept putting Hogan up against Kevin Sullivan and the Dungeon of Doom and the Alliance To End Hulkamania. Hogan feuded with The Giant mainly, but that's all that sticks out in my mind. When Savage had the belt Hogan never feuded with him over it. Hogan didn't even go out of the 1995 World War 3 battle royal cleanly when Savage won it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Ya Hogan was bringing in all his friends and had Bishoff's ear.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Glitterbomber posted:

Same here, and totally agree, Hulk's face run was basically WCW's Super Cena, and it caused a lot of legit talent to flee the ship.

On top of that Ricky Steamboat had his career ending injury and Flair was "retired" for awhile because of the idiotic Halloween Havoc 94 stipulations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

However a big difference between Hogan and Cena is that Cena is not a politician like Hogan and seems like a decent human being(on wrestler scale)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MassRayPer posted:

On top of that Ricky Steamboat had his career ending injury and Flair was "retired" for awhile because of the idiotic Halloween Havoc 94 stipulations.

Oh poo poo I forgot the Steamboat thing happened during that too, yea they started hemorrhaging talent during that.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I remember seeing some old WCW Saturday Nights from back then, before Hogan came in, and there was Stunning Steve Austin, as U.S. champion, and he was in a feud with Steamboat and even calling out Ric Flair in a couple of promos. I don't know if there was ever a plan to have an Austin/Flair program, but even back then Austin was a great midcard-level heel, and seeing him and Flair back then would have been great. Again, I dunno if it's one of the things they had in mind before Hogan came in and they had to scrap everything, or if it was just a random thing Austin was doing to heel it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CVagts posted:

I remember seeing some old WCW Saturday Nights from back then, before Hogan came in, and there was Stunning Steve Austin, as U.S. champion, and he was in a feud with Steamboat and even calling out Ric Flair in a couple of promos. I don't know if there was ever a plan to have an Austin/Flair program, but even back then Austin was a great midcard-level heel, and seeing him and Flair back then would have been great. Again, I dunno if it's one of the things they had in mind before Hogan came in and they had to scrap everything, or if it was just a random thing Austin was doing to heel it up.

According to Flair he was grooming Austen to be his replacement. However it is Flair who said that.