Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

gmq posted:

Does anyone here use Path?
It feels like it's useless if you don't have friends or family with smartphones but maybe I'm missing something?

No, and I wouldn't ever use them after last week's kerfluffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

How is that AOKP? I occasionally look the thread and it's always "This ROM is great! Total daily driver!" followed by "Calendar won't sync but great ROM!" and "Only three restarts today, love this ROM!"

I don't long for much apart from statusbar tweaks (dBm and battery as a percentage) and 180 degree rotation.
I've had absolutely no issues with it at all. It runs exactly like stock except with notification bar setting toggles, some additional lock screen options, unlinkable notification/ringer streams, a hilariously gay pink unicorn bootscreen (can be disabled in-ROM), and a few other small tweaks. Nova launcher is also included in /system which has some nice improvements to the stock launcher without feeling like you're replacing the whole launcher with some third party piece of tat.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

king of the bongo posted:

Did you clear the cache and clear the data for the Market app? It solved it for me without reseting the device.

I ended up flashing CM9 on my phone which fixed my issue.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I tried PowerAmp, and I liked that I could download album art with it, but got really annoyed when I checked the option to hide the shuffle and repeat controls and song ratings which it handily splays right over the album art, and it wouldn't stop displaying them. I rage-uninstalled it and have been using the stock music app, which isn't bad but is fairly feature-free. I'd like the ability to transfer music wirelessly, download album art, and edit ID3 tags. Does such an app even exist?

Edit: While I'm at it, how about weather apps? Weather channel's is slow and bloated and only shows the radar for the last half hour; AccuWeather is a pile of poo poo covered in pretty chrome.

You have to tap the album art to make those controls appear. Or, in the look and feel settings you can completely disable them. I know it doesn't fulfill your other wants, but I've found pretty much every other music player on Android to be a joke. Unless there's been some updates to other players recently, PowerAMP is the only one I've found to have a crossfader (it does gapless playback too). That's pretty bad.

For weather, try 1Weather. It's pretty good if you can ignore the ads for the Reddit app.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

I tried out Path because of how they handled the whole situation (they deleted all of the contact information). How else did you expect them to notify you when someone in your contacts sign up? Unless they are using something like Facebook Connect or Twitter to log you in they need to store your address book on their servers.

They also weren't the only app doing this. Instagram now asks for your permission but that only happened last week. Which means they've been doing the same thing the whole time. So this is nothing new.

Path is interesting and I could see it being used as a personal "journal" of sorts. However, I keep forgetting to use it so I'll probably just delete my account.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

gariig posted:

How else did you expect them to notify you when someone in your contacts sign up?

A comment on the original blog post outing this behavior suggested what should have been an obvious solution: upload hashes of the contacts. They could be compared just as easily as the actual contacts, without any privacy concerns.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star Warrior X posted:

A comment on the original blog post outing this behavior suggested what should have been an obvious solution: upload hashes of the contacts. They could be compared just as easily as the actual contacts, without any privacy concerns.

Exactly. This way they do not get plaintext contact information for people who have chosen not to be part of Path at all. But if that person ever signs up, and a hash of the email address lives in the system, then you can notify their friends.

And asking first helps a lot, too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's nothing new because iOS has never restricted apps from accessing your entire address book and uploading it and that's what a lot of developers did because, hey, why not gather a poo poo ton of data we can sell for literally doing nothing.

Given Apple's regard for both their customers' data and their trust, it's surprising they don't make the user give explicit permission to access the address book.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

torjus posted:

Why use a variable at all? Just add the time, charging, face down and "Not Incoming Call C:FAV" as contexts, "Silent Mode On" as enter task and "Silent Mode Off" as exit task.

Not sure, honestly. I think I might have originally been trying a different method, which required a variable (or I thought it did), and I just got used to it. Doesn't hurt anything.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Was there some sort of fix for Facebook push notifications not working?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If there is I've yet to see it, they have never worked right for me on my EVO 3D.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There was some ridiculously convoluted solution that I think involved using a BlackBerry emulator to sign into FB and toggle some setting that worked for some people, but so far there's been nothing simple or 100% effective.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Is there any way to just install all "not-installed" apps? All day I've been re-installing like 200 some apps fresh instead of doing a backup/restore as I was having issues. The issues have been solved but I'm loving tired of re-installing each app individually. Is there a way to just bulk install the rest of the 68 "not-installed" apps?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IT Guy posted:

Is there any way to just install all "not-installed" apps? All day I've been re-installing like 200 some apps fresh instead of doing a backup/restore as I was having issues. The issues have been solved but I'm loving tired of re-installing each app individually. Is there a way to just bulk install the rest of the 68 "not-installed" apps?

Nope, get to clicking.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
I know I'm using an old OG Droid, but is anybody having problems with the Facebook app starting up in the background and chewing up battery doing absolutely nothing?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MrC posted:

I know I'm using an old OG Droid, but is anybody having problems with the Facebook app starting up in the background and chewing up battery doing absolutely nothing?

Not me. Actually the official facebook app has been pretty drat good ever since that re-design a few months ago. Push notifications come through before my desktop ones do also...guess I'm just lucky or something.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LastInLine posted:

Nope, get to clicking.

Wouldn't it be easier to push install from the desktop version of the Android market?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MrC posted:

It probably got stuck in a GPS lock loop because whoever designed that app to force fine location can kiss my rear end.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Radbot posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to push install from the desktop version of the Android market?

The actual installs, yeah, but there's no easy way to get to the list of "Not Installed" apps. I suppose you could go to your order history and pick out everything you wanted, but it's a toss-up as to how much quicker that would be.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IT Guy posted:

Restore from Titanium without data?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Matlock posted:

How's Tapatalk? It's a buck on Amazon right now, and I hear it's pretty solid for most every message board out there.

I got it for free off GetJar a few months ago and, while I barely use it, it's not bad. The forums that I frequent just don't support it or have a standalone app. I actually uninstalled it for a bit, but ended up reinstalling it, just in case.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There used to be a grocery list app that got mentioned in here every once in awhile that synced multiple devices and IIRC was goon made.

Anyone remember what that was? Actually any grocery list apps that will sync would be good to hear about.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

There used to be a grocery list app that got mentioned in here every once in awhile that synced multiple devices and IIRC was goon made.

Anyone remember what that was? Actually any grocery list apps that will sync would be good to hear about.

I think you mean Out of Milk.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.capigami.outofmilk

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I thought Remember the Milk was what all the cool kids used. DISCLAIMER: I am not cool, nor do I use either app.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Matlock posted:

How's Tapatalk? It's a buck on Amazon right now, and I hear it's pretty solid for most every message board out there.
If you run or frequent a phpbb board it is really easy to setup and works quite well. I would recommend it!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

They had stopped working for me for a while, but the latest version fixed it. But yeah, logging into Facebook on a Blackberry and enabling notifications at that point was what I had to do to get them to work to begin with. There seems to be a notification flag on every Facebook account that's only accessible through the Blackberry app (and maybe the iPhone one?)

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

aude omnia posted:

Do I need to replace the Samsung music player on my SGS?

I use iSyncr wifi to manage music on my Galaxy, and lately I haven't been able to get the music player to remove files from its list. More fully: isyncr deletes files when I remove them from playlists, but the Samsung music player has stopped removing those deleted songs from its list.

I like the player, lockscreen integration, etc, but if there's no obvious solution here, guess I could replace it.

Well you could try, but it just uses the generic Android media list that nearly all players (except PowerAmp) use. So the problem is likely to persist. You'd be better off forcing a media scan, and if that fails, double check that the files aren't actually on there.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Is there a good alternative to the default messenger that comes with Ice Cream Sandwich? Something really basic preferably.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Is there a good alternative to the default messenger that comes with Ice Cream Sandwich? Something really basic preferably.

What additional features do you want?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

dissss posted:

What additional features do you want?

Nothing additional, I'm just accustom to the basic line-style of my old Droid so I was looking for something stripped down if possible. The left-right orientation of sender and receiver really bugs me for some reason.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Nothing additional, I'm just accustom to the basic line-style of my old Droid so I was looking for something stripped down if possible. The left-right orientation of sender and receiver really bugs me for some reason.

I'd try to get used to it if you can, because it's by far the nicest looking and most simple text app I've used. Pretty much all the alternatives are ugly and have a thousand options.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Not really what you're asking for but the Metro Messaging has a decent UI (it's a Windows Phone ripoff).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I can't say enough good things about Our Groceries. It's barebones, but that's what we wanted and the updates are so instant that my wife and I can split up in the store and cross things off the list without worrying about overlap.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

LastInLine posted:

I can't say enough good things about Our Groceries. It's barebones, but that's what we wanted and the updates are so instant that my wife and I can split up in the store and cross things off the list without worrying about overlap.

This, Our Groceries rules. We use it for packing for trips, recipes, etc too.

Shanakin posted:

Well you could try, but it just uses the generic Android media list that nearly all players (except PowerAmp) use. So the problem is likely to persist. You'd be better off forcing a media scan, and if that fails, double check that the files aren't actually on there.

There's always Music Folder Player, which respects your file structure. It's simple, it plays your music out of your folders. And does nothing else.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
The bf and I are fans of GroceryIQ, which does a pretty good job, too.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, this is the best. You can create and edits lists on the website, and sync across multiple devices.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

IT Guy posted:

Related to this: Used to be if I flashed a rom, as soon as I signed in to market it would start automatically installing all my free apps. (I didn't have any paid ones at the time)

Nowadays it doesn't. "My apps" just shows my paid apps as "purchased" but no free ones listed there, no auto-install of anything.

Was this green-market functionality someone decided that no one needs anymore? I have the google backup thing checked on my main rom and I check it also on anything I flash.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Wagonburner posted:

Related to this: Used to be if I flashed a rom, as soon as I signed in to market it would start automatically installing all my free apps. (I didn't have any paid ones at the time)

Nowadays it doesn't. "My apps" just shows my paid apps as "purchased" but no free ones listed there, no auto-install of anything.

Was this green-market functionality someone decided that no one needs anymore? I have the google backup thing checked on my main rom and I check it also on anything I flash.

I remember that. When you flashed a new ROM, you could choose to allow Google to restore your apps. Not anymore it seems.

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008
It seems to be temperamental, between the two Android devices I've owned (captivate/attsgsii) it has downloaded a different number of free apps each time I would flash a new ROM. Never any paid, but at least those are listed for me in the "my apps" section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IT Guy posted:

I remember that. When you flashed a new ROM, you could choose to allow Google to restore your apps. Not anymore it seems.
I can imagine Google got tired of wasting bandwidth on people who switch roms weekly and then reinstall all their apps.

Honestly though I think it makes more sense to use something like Titanium Backup. Saves both the app data and bandwidth and reinstalls your apps pretty quickly. Dropbox syncing is pretty boss too. Worked like a charm when AOKP build 22 required a full wipe due to Gapps shenanigans.

• Locked thread