Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

The screen protector on my Evo 3D was getting too scratched up so I decided to take it off. Am I going to regret not having a screen protector on my phone if I carry it around in the same pocket as my keys and such? I've heard the screens are sturdy enough to handle most things and that protectors are overkill but I wanted to make sure.

I wouldn't carry it in the same pocket as your keys then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Duckman2008 posted:

I wouldn't carry it in the same pocket as your keys then.

I don't have a screen protector on my 3D, but I would never put it in the same pocket as my keys. My phone already got a scratch from putting it into my pocket carelessly. My jeans have those little circular metal things near the pockets, and I always put my phone in my pocket with the screen towards my leg so it gets cleaner when I take it in and out of my pocket.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

It was nice in GB and earlier when Android was ugly as poo poo, but ICS blows Sense out of the water in terms of usability and looks.

ICS is still ugly as poo poo if you aren't using a Galaxy Nexus, the element sizes do not scale well at all to 800 x 480.

Menu bar just wastes space compared to using the button, no idea where they're going with this.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bioshuffle posted:

The screen protector on my Evo 3D was getting too scratched up so I decided to take it off. Am I going to regret not having a screen protector on my phone if I carry it around in the same pocket as my keys and such? I've heard the screens are sturdy enough to handle most things and that protectors are overkill but I wanted to make sure.

Why would you carry your phone in the same pocket as your keys. :psyduck:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tedious_Bastard posted:

ICS is still ugly as poo poo if you aren't using a Galaxy Nexus, the element sizes do not scale well at all to 800 x 480.

Menu bar just wastes space compared to using the button, no idea where they're going with this.

Because the 'action bar' concept works really well on the iPhone. And ICS looks great on a Nexus S at 800x480 so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I don't know how to answer that! I don't really pay attention what I put in which pocket so sometimes my phone inevitably ends up in the same pocket as my keys or random coins or whatever bits and pieces I have laying around. I guess I'll go ahead and invest in the screen protector. Better safe than sorry! :shobon:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

I literally had my E3D for 36 hours before I got a screen protector. I'm incredibly careful with my phones. So of course I got a tiny scratch in that time from a pocket button. Always use a screen protector. Always.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't know how to answer that! I don't really pay attention what I put in which pocket so sometimes my phone inevitably ends up in the same pocket as my keys or random coins or whatever bits and pieces I have laying around. I guess I'll go ahead and invest in the screen protector. Better safe than sorry! :shobon:

Guy. Wallet and keys left pocket, phone right pocket.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

Except your wallet goes in your back pocket unless you're 80. A wallet deserves the respect of it's own pocket.

spidoman posted:

Keys left pocket? I'd be fascinated to experience the world as you do.

He's probably left handed. Keys are definitely a right pocket kind of thing for me.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

Keys left pocket? I'd be fascinated to experience the world as you do.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Phone left pocket, keys/change right pocket, and wallet right rear pocket.

I was unaware there are other ways of doing this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Am I the only one who puts their phone on a holster on their hip? :(

Wallet left pocket, keys around neck on a lanyard (I've got like ten of them on there, along with an SD card so they won't fit in my pocket anyway), and change in my right pocket. My phone I keep on the left side of my waist.

I got the holster and case the same day I got my NS4G. The Sprint corporate store had the same one that Best Buy had for about $30 cheaper. It doesn't have a screen protector but I never put my phone in my pocket.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Bioshuffle posted:

I've had mine for over 6 months, never used a screen protector, and I'm fairly careless as far as what I put it in my pocket with. Not a single scratch so far, I even accidentally dropped it once or twice. The screen is sturdy as hell, I can't imagine what you'd have to do to it to scratch it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

big mean giraffe posted:

He's probably left handed. Keys are definitely a right pocket kind of thing for me.

I'm right handed and my keys go in my left pocket because my phone goes in my right pocket and I pull out my phone way more than I pull out my keys. If I'm wearing a jacket, then of course keys go in the right jacket pocket. Wallet goes in the back though. That's non-negotiable.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Q_res posted:

I've had mine for over 6 months, never used a screen protector, and I'm fairly careless as far as what I put it in my pocket with. Not a single scratch so far, I even accidentally dropped it once or twice. The screen is sturdy as hell, I can't imagine what you'd have to do to it to scratch it.

Well there are scrathces like huge cracks, and then there are scratches that can only be seen with a pen light at an angle. I'm guessing people are using different definitions depending on the level of analness.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I do, but let's be frank, holsters aren't cool. Holsters are great for work though, easy accessibility and in my case showing off the phone.

Left pocket is wallet for me (I am still convinced back pocket is both easier for it to fall out and be pick pocketed), right pocket is always 2nd phone (personal) and keys in the summer time (winter my keys stay in my jacket. Left pocket can carry extras like portable chargers. Work phone goes on right hip when working, right pocket on silent when not.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Actually, I am pretty anal about scratches myself. I wipe it down & look at it under direct light, it's flawless.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Except your wallet goes in your back pocket unless you're 80. A wallet deserves the respect of it's own pocket.

It's much easier for you to be pick pocketed with your wallet in the back. Also I've heard its bad for your back because it makes you lopsided.

I am a lefty, and also carry my wallet and keys on the left, phone on the right.
Never had a screen protector on my launch day Evo 3D, and it has no scratches on the screen.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
With all of this sudden talk about scratches and screen protectors and whatnot, I figured I'd chip in with my recent experiences -

about a month and a half after getting my EVO 3D, I managed to get a decent scratch right in the upper-middle of the screen despite babying the thing. This made me quite paranoid. My quest for a screen protector that didn't look and feel like total poo poo began. After much searching and review reading, I settled on this -

The Boxwave ClearTouch Crystal

It is cut to fit extremely well, doesnt have that rubbery feel that takes away from the sense of touch on the screen, and is virtually invisible. I've seriously not seen a better screen protector.

So, together with a TPU case on my phone now, I am no longer as paranoid about damaging my EVO 3D.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Because the 'action bar' concept works really well on the iPhone. And ICS looks great on a Nexus S at 800x480 so I have no idea what you're talking about.

The UI elements are too large compared to 2.3 on every ROM I've tried for the EVO. If you have gigantic fat sausage fingers it probably isn't as annoying.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

lazydog posted:

It's much easier for you to be pick pocketed with your wallet in the back. Also I've heard its bad for your back because it makes you lopsided.

I am a lefty, and also carry my wallet and keys on the left, phone on the right.
Never had a screen protector on my launch day Evo 3D, and it has no scratches on the screen.

Had EVO 3D since launch day. Throw it around with wild abandon. Absolutely flawless screen.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

lazydog posted:

Wallet and roll of electrical tape in front right, Atwood mini tool and silver dollar in coin pocket, keys (2 sets) in front left, knife and lighter in back right, flashlight in lower right, phone in lower left.

The joy of wearing Carhartts!

My wife keeps her EVO 4G in her purse with no screen protector. Its got a dozen small scratches on the screen. I keep mine in my side pocket, and regularly slam it into things, or empty metal shavings out of the pocket, but I've got a ZAGG protector on mine... no scratches.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What, why? The NS4G is a great phone.

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't, it's just that when you consider the hardware in isolation the E3D smokes the NS4G. When you take into account that maybe some day in the far-flung future I'll be able to run across an ICS ROM that doesn't have Sense dosing it with stupid rays then the E3D really does look better than the NS4G.

The only problem being that I once again drew the short straw on phones, development by people other than i-doser types who somehow find "inbREDed" a cool name for a ROM seems to have fled the E3D. After loving myself raw over the Epic and now the E3D I'm giving up and sticking to Nexus phones. They seem to weather the two-year contract cycle fairly well.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wallet left pocket, keys around neck on a lanyard (I've got like ten of them on there, along with an SD card so they won't fit in my pocket anyway), and change in my right pocket. My phone I keep on the left side of my waist.

I got the holster and case the same day I got my NS4G. The Sprint corporate store had the same one that Best Buy had for about $30 cheaper. It doesn't have a screen protector but I never put my phone in my pocket.

If you wear your phone on a holster you might as well hike up your pleated pants to your belly button and strap on a fanny pack.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

big mean giraffe posted:

It was nice in GB and earlier when Android was ugly as poo poo, but ICS blows Sense out of the water in terms of usability and looks.

Exactly. Prior to ICS Sense added to Android in terms of aesthetics and functionality. But ICS and the Holo theme are so nice to look at and so functional on their own, Sense will only just get in the way. Since appearance is subjective and it's possible to prefer Sense for that reason, there's still the problem of delayed releases. The Galaxy Nexus is my first AOSP Android device and after using it for a couple months, it will pain me to ever go back to an OEM modified device.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tedious_Bastard posted:

The UI elements are too large compared to 2.3 on every ROM I've tried for the EVO. If you have gigantic fat sausage fingers it probably isn't as annoying.

Well then someone's loving up your Evo ROMs because even on the smaller screened Nexus S and also the same-size-screened Evo 3D ICS works just fine and the UI elements are the exact same size.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wow you must really be a hit with the ladies :laugh:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
If I can prefer to put my phone in the inside pocket of a blazer. If not I use my right front pants pocket, and put my switchblade key in my left. I hardly ever carry a wallet (only when shopping), but when I do right back pocket (it is crazy to me someone would put a wallet in their front pocket).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I've been getting a 1x data connection for the past few days, is there somewhere I can go to see if there's an outage or maintenance or something? I found https://www.sprint.net/maint_view.php but the only thing listed in the last week for Ohio is a 2 hour thing in Akron.

I didn't see anything in the OP about this either.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

That's for sprint.net, their data backbone. It has nothing to do with what signals you're getting from the antenna.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Entire Universe posted:

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't, it's just that when you consider the hardware in isolation the E3D smokes the NS4G.
As laughable as it is for the term "hardware optimized" to be applied to Android (especially relative to iOS), Nexus devices really do get extra care there.

With embedded platforms it's very hard to separate the underlying hardware from the OS builds that are actually capable of running on them. The E3D may well smoke the NS4G in theory, but requires an appropriate amount of tuning CM and other source-based builds that developers, perhaps, simply don't have the patience and energy to do anymore. Assuming they even have sufficient access to proprietaries. The screen is definitely superior though.

After loving myself raw over the Epic and now the E3D I'm giving up and sticking to Nexus phones.
Where do you think the Epic i-doser developer types fled to?

Although it's definitely showing it's age, ironically, the Epic has a very good CM9 alpha port. I dare say almost NS4G good. If you're a hardware-keyboard kind of guy, it's easily the best device running ICS out there, and may well remain that way until the Droid 4 ICS update hits in December or whatever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As laughable as it is for the term "hardware optimized" to be applied to Android (especially relative to iOS), Nexus devices really do get extra care there.

With embedded platforms it's very hard to separate the underlying hardware from the OS builds that are actually capable of running on them. The E3D may well smoke the NS4G in theory, but requires an appropriate amount of tuning CM and other source-based builds that developers, perhaps, simply don't have the patience and energy to do anymore. Assuming they even have sufficient access to proprietaries. The screen is definitely superior though.

Where do you think the Epic i-doser developer types fled to?

Although it's definitely showing it's age, ironically, the Epic has a very good CM9 alpha port. I dare say almost NS4G good. If you're a hardware-keyboard kind of guy, it's easily the best device running ICS out there, and may well remain that way until the Droid 4 ICS update hits in December or whatever.

I think at this point we can just say and assume that keyboard Android phones are basically turning into the bastar children of Android. The best official support goes into the touchscreen only phones. Hell windows phone is the same way.

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

I don't know if this is the place to go for this, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I have a EVO 4G through Sprint, and for the past (8?) months, the phone will randomly just not send and/or receive text messages. This is like a 1-5x/night occurrence. I've also traveled for the majority of those months, so this happening over a wide spread of cities (mainly NYC though). I tried merging my number with Google Voice, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything -- in fact my T-Mobile work phone receives 99.9% of the forwarded texts (including ones my EVO doesn't) and always receives them 30s-5m faster than my EVO.

My question is: is this just Sprint's service/infrastructure and do I need to get used to this? Or is it a hardware/number/other problem that I could potentially bitch to Sprint about and get resolved?

EDIT: Oh, and this occurs whether I'm rooted/unrooted; stock sense/AOSP; etc. Doesn't matter.

jusion fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 15, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jusion posted:

I don't know if this is the place to go for this, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I have a EVO 4G through Sprint, and for the past (8?) months, the phone will randomly just not send and/or receive text messages. This is like a 1-5x/night occurrence. I've also traveled for the majority of those months, so this happening over a wide spread of cities (mainly NYC though). I tried merging my number with Google Voice, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything -- in fact my T-Mobile work phone receives 99.9% of the forwarded texts (including ones my EVO doesn't) and always receives them 30s-5m faster than my EVO.

My question is: is this just Sprint's service/infrastructure and do I need to get used to this? Or is it a hardware/number/other problem that I could potential bitch to Sprint about?

Sprint has Internet problems, but texting should be fine. Call from a different phone into customer care and have them refresh text messaging on your account, see if that does it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't find any information on outages per se, but I'll be damned if mobile data in my area took a complete poo poo today.

It was working OK yesterday, today I might as well be using smoke signals and carrier pigeons. Did someone gently caress up something and not let anyone know? It's not just bad but "I have zero data capability and this includes texts since they are now sent through the GV service" bad.

e: for reference, it went from "~800k/s in a basement" to "perhaps you should call the website host and ask them to mail you a hard copy because you don't have time to wait for the network to load the webp-oh look it timed out"

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 15, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I can't find any information on outages per se, but I'll be damned if mobile data in my area took a complete poo poo today.

It was working OK yesterday, today I might as well be using smoke signals and carrier pigeons. Did someone gently caress up something and not let anyone know? It's not just bad but "I have zero data capability and this includes texts since they are now sent through the GV service" bad.

e: for reference, it went from "~800k/s in a basement" to "perhaps you should call the website host and ask them to mail you a hard copy because you don't have time to wait for the network to load the webp-oh look it timed out"

Call sprint and see if they have a known outage. And either way, call retentions and complain.

me IRL
Oct 25, 2005

it's not so cool to have so many problems
Apologies if this has been addressed, but I looked at the OP and the last dozen or so pages and didn't see anything about it.

The EPRP site says that "existing customers adding a new line of service" are eligible for EPRP, but I've talked to about six people at telesales who are telling me the website is "wrong" and that's not the case (although they seem to be pretty uniformly idiots and keep thinking i'm talking about SERO or something or trying to slip it past me as a regular consumer plan hoping I won't notice the extra 70 dollars a month). Is this actually true? I have an on-contract Everything Data 450 line and I'm trying to tack a line on and go to Everything Plus 1600. How does one go about doing this?

Guppie
Apr 8, 2010

Pokies?
Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

I'll be honest, I would get the arrive over the marquee. I need to update the OP, it just isn't a great phone in my experience so far.

I'd consider the Arrive if it had a working Android hack for it. Unfortunately, while there are piles of games and social widgets for WP7, I need to be able to run specific things like the Epocrates medical application. Epocrates has supported a lot of different platforms in the past (I first used it on my trusty Palm III), but although they supported WM6, the publishers have said they'll release a WP7 version right around "never".

There are similar problems for a lot of other medical apps. Subjectively, it feels like iOS is currently the most widely supported, with Android a close second. Blackberry is increasingly in trouble, and may end up like Palm (which was once almost universally supported by medical apps, but has since cratered).

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi future 3G phones will require SERO premium at $50,the marquee and the admiral were the last two to be allowed. I could be wrong, but that's what other people have said, and I have had the transform ultra be denied for a non $10 plan, so they are cutting off that loophole.

Guess I'd better upgrade before the loophole completely closes then. I've also been also considering an Optimus S, which I understand is outdated -- but is said to be a solid and usable Android phone (certainly more so than my HTC Touch).

Duckman2008 posted:

Get the arrive (get it used, don't sign a contract) or just pay an extra $10 to get a better phone.

At $50 a month, I'm not sure I'd stay with Sprint though -- they've got some reception problems in my area and I've only put up with them thanks to the low price of SERO. I've been considering jumping to T-Mobile or Republic Wireless.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...-february-16th/

The Nexus S 4G is supposed to get Android 4.0.4 tomorrow according to Sprint's own internal site.

Also, my holster actually allows me to record video without holding my camera. So it's good for that at least.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 16, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Guppie posted:

Guess I'd better upgrade before the loophole completely closes then. I've also been also considering an Optimus S, which I understand is outdated -- but is said to be a solid and usable Android phone (certainly more so than my HTC Touch).
There's no reason to get the outdated Optimus S when the newer faster Marquee is available to you now.

And according to people on the SprintUsers forum, a lot of people are having the +$10 added on when adding the Transform Ultra or Admiral onto their accounts, so that'd be a bit of a risk if you went for one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Chunk posted:

If you wear your phone on a holster you might as well hike up your pleated pants to your belly button and strap on a fanny pack.
Not all of us are pasty nerds working in cubicles all day. Try running around a film set with a toolbelt and a large smartphone in your pocket and let me know how well that works out for you.