Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

According to Flair he was grooming Austen to be his replacement. However it is Flair who said that.

I have no doubt that Flair would claim something like that, but I also think that if he had been asked to put Austin over, he would have done it. Even without hindsight, you could see the talent that Austin had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CVagts posted:

I have no doubt that Flair would claim something like that, but I also think that if he had been asked to put Austin over, he would have done it. Even without hindsight, you could see the talent that Austin had.

Horsemen feuded with the Blondes and Pillman also became a Horseman before leaving WCW. Also, Flair tried to get an unready Eddie Guerrero soon after so it's easily believable he pushed for Austin to get a bigger role.

However, as talented as Austin was, he would have probably been a flop at the top of WCW. Especially in that era and without any real allies. He needed to get fired, just like Flair had to get in a plane crash and Rock needed to flop as a babyface.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Flair knows he'll always be over no matter what he does. Putting guys over is his thing. I have no reason to doubt that story.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

Flair knows he'll always be over no matter what he does. Putting guys over is his thing. I have no reason to doubt that story.

If nothing else, a match where they tried to out-heel each other the entire time would have been incredible.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
WCW had some pretty horrible PPV promos, even for its time... usually it's acceptable to have a generic PPV promo that airs during the prior PPV, but WCW usually ran these right up until the event itself.

The two I have in mind right now are Spring Stampede 1997 and Slamboree 1997.

First, Spring Stampede: http://youtu.be/TV7Q3JQWtgo
This Spring Stampede promo just makes no sense at all. So who are these guys talking to? Who are they challenging? What the gently caress is Ric Flair talking about? Are we getting some sort of Horsemen main event? Nope... nothing at all. But look at that production value damnit!

Next month we get Slamboree 1997: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES7XkT5Arck
So generic (and badly cut) it could be a promo for WCW Worldwide. The main message I get out of this is "WCW has a lot of problems... *cuts to shots of the nWo and Hogan* there needs to be an ending!"

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I like these two promos for Fall Brawl, though I think it has more to do with the quality of the material than any extraordinary editing skill.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Those promos are hilarious.

To change it up a bit, the first half of this video is Sting's promo for Starrcade 97, and it's loving awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TsrM_niOw

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's also a claim I've seen multiple times on the net where it'd be revealed that Steve Austin was Flair's illegitimate son before Hogan came around, and Flair would help take Austin to the top.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's also a claim I've seen multiple times on the net where it'd be revealed that Steve Austin was Flair's illegitimate son before Hogan came around, and Flair would help take Austin to the top.

So Ric Rhodes would want to turn him into Steve Flair? Yikes.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
One thing I never understood about WCW was why it never got bigger over here in England. The WWF was up on satellite, and their PPVs were on a pay channel on top of that. WCW had a deal with ITV for Worldwide/Saturday Night to be broadcast (admittedly at like 3am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning), and then the Disney tapings were on Saturday afternoons - I can even remember watching Cactus Jack vs Vader in their Texas Tornado match. In their dying days, Worldwide was broadcast on free-to-air TV.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Astro7x posted:

WCW had some pretty horrible PPV promos, even for its time... usually it's acceptable to have a generic PPV promo that airs during the prior PPV, but WCW usually ran these right up until the event itself.

The two I have in mind right now are Spring Stampede 1997 and Slamboree 1997.

First, Spring Stampede: http://youtu.be/TV7Q3JQWtgo
This Spring Stampede promo just makes no sense at all. So who are these guys talking to? Who are they challenging? What the gently caress is Ric Flair talking about? Are we getting some sort of Horsemen main event? Nope... nothing at all. But look at that production value damnit!

Next month we get Slamboree 1997: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES7XkT5Arck
So generic (and badly cut) it could be a promo for WCW Worldwide. The main message I get out of this is "WCW has a lot of problems... *cuts to shots of the nWo and Hogan* there needs to be an ending!"

How did Mongo McMichael ever end up with the Horsemen? That guy was a terrible worker and on top of that he was a big tub of lard.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Flair wanted to hang out with Debra.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

One thing I never understood about WCW was why it never got bigger over here in England. The WWF was up on satellite, and their PPVs were on a pay channel on top of that. WCW had a deal with ITV for Worldwide/Saturday Night to be broadcast (admittedly at like 3am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning), and then the Disney tapings were on Saturday afternoons - I can even remember watching Cactus Jack vs Vader in their Texas Tornado match. In their dying days, Worldwide was broadcast on free-to-air TV.

After the Monday Night Wars REALLY took off, all of WCWs other shows (Pro, Worldwide, Saturday Night) generally took a back seat to Nitro. While Saturday Night usually had some sort of main event worth watching that wasn't completely predictable, the other shows were squash matches with recaps from Nitro. Aside from some Benoit/Sulivan stuff and the random clip of nWo Saturday Night, on Nitro it was barely ever mentioned about what happened on WCW Saturday Night.

Look at this Week in WCW from the week of Bash at the Beach '97: http://www.ddtdigest.com/updates/19970714.htm

It would be like if WWE put Superstars and NXT on the free channel, and TNA had Impact on the pay service, I'd think the paid alternative is much better than the free one.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nitro used to air in the UK on TNT (which was timeshared with the Cartoon Network). Stupidly though, despite the fact that neither were broadcast live at the time, Nitro still aired head to head against Raw on Friday nights. It was also pretty much never promoted.

blunt fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 16, 2012

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
didn't they start airing nitro and thunder back to back after a while?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

blunt posted:

Nitro used to air in the UK on TNT (which was timeshared with the Cartoon Network). Stupidly though, despite the fact that neither were broadcast live at the time, Nitro still aired head to head against Raw on Friday nights. It was also pretty much never promoted.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Nitro on a Saturday night once on TNT. It was backstage segment were some people shouted and then (I think) Lex Luger nodded. I was utterly stupified

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

DreamingApe posted:

didn't they start airing nitro and thunder back to back after a while?

They had a 5 hour of pain slot on a friday night, that went head to head with raw. It was great for channel hopping, but absolutely horrible to try and watch in one sitting.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blunt posted:

I feel sorry for anybody that watched through the Monday Night Wars and didn't have Picture-In-Picture built into their TV. While I use to watch the first hour of Nitro, all of Raw, then the last hour of the Nitro Replay, I used PIP a lot back then when Nitro went to 3 hours.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
If my memory serves, there was another country (Australia, maybe?) where Nitro and Thunder actually aired head-to-head for a time. This was in that giant list of Observer quotes that gets passed around from time to time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All I remember of Hogan's pre-nWo face run was The Booty Man. Hogan must have had Leslie bury the dead bodies or something.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I uploaded a weird Japanese home video release of 2000 WCW I found to Youtube. I really forgot how bad some of this stuff was. It basically covers the New Blood vs. the Millionaire's Club storyline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yApQl9whGLY

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Astro7x posted:

I feel sorry for anybody that watched through the Monday Night Wars and didn't have Picture-In-Picture built into their TV. While I use to watch the first hour of Nitro, all of Raw, then the last hour of the Nitro Replay, I used PIP a lot back then when Nitro went to 3 hours.

I'd just watch the intro to Nitro, then switch between them, decide which match i'd rather see, and stick to that channel and keep switching from time to time to see if I was missing anything. When Raw started winning easily i'd just mainly watch it and maybe switch to Nitro every few minutes but I usually just kept it on USA mostly (Since Nitro was 3 hours I never missed it's start and Nitro endings sucked alot of times tbh).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I started watching wrestling again in December '99 (my first event back was Armageddon, where Miss Kitty showed her tits), so my normal Monday night viewing habit was watch 1 hour of nitro, followed by just Raw the rest of the way. My only WCW exposure (after hearing for years how awesome it was) was during the death run of 2000 to 2001. It was pretty loving terrible.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I uploaded a weird Japanese home video release of 2000 WCW I found to Youtube. I really forgot how bad some of this stuff was. It basically covers the New Blood vs. the Millionaire's Club storyline.

Thanks for this, I love this era of WCW.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I started watching wrestling again in December '99 (my first event back was Armageddon, where Miss Kitty showed her tits), so my normal Monday night viewing habit was watch 1 hour of nitro, followed by just Raw the rest of the way. My only WCW exposure (after hearing for years how awesome it was) was during the death run of 2000 to 2001. It was pretty loving terrible.

You don't like Kevin Nash taking up all of the tv time????

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

This video was so entertaining. I wonder if they ever made part two? It ends with "to be continued…"

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Skinty McEdger posted:

They had a 5 hour of pain slot on a friday night, that went head to head with raw. It was great for channel hopping, but absolutely horrible to try and watch in one sitting.

If I remember correctly, the five hour of pain stopped just before the midnight repeat of Raw. I think I'm right on that one.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Skinty McEdger posted:

I only had the CN/TCM channel in the netherlands, no channel that showed RAW, i think the 5 hours of pain was basically what killed my interest for a good while. I think the only other wrestling i got was NJPW on eurosport, i was kinda oblivious to the entire monday night war.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

triplexpac posted:

This video was so entertaining. I wonder if they ever made part two? It ends with "to be continued…"

I can't find it anywhere. I'm guessing this video came out really close to the time WCW was sold.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Is that video actually an official WCW release?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Skinty McEdger posted:

The best part of darkside hogan is the promo where him and Savage are hanging about on Venice beach with a couple of homeless people. It's one of the most surreal segments I've ever seen, though I'm sad to say I can't seem to find it on youtube anymore.
Sorry about replying to a post from a couple of weeks back, but I haven't been checking this thread in a while and I have to say this promo was goddamn amazing. The segment opened with some local weirdo/street musician (who was wearing a turban, a white robe and roller skates) strumming on a guitar and singing something like "Hogan's back at Venice Beach, HE IS ON THE DARK SIDE! If you step into his world, YOU MAY NOT LEAVE ALIVE!"

I swear I'm not making this poo poo up. I had that segment, along with a few other Darkside of Hulkamania promos and other WCW 1995 greatness, uploaded on my old youtube account many years ago but it got taken down. Unfortunately I no longer have any of that stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I came across another list of Observer quotes. I think the old list started in mid 98, so most of these should be new.

"There is a method to Jim Herd's madness about bringing in Long John Silver that no one seems to realize. He's the perfect contender to Ric Flair's title, because Long John Silver would be immune to the effects of the figure four leglock" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 1990.

"NWA will open negotiations with Kerry and Kevin Von Erich. I can understand taking the chance on Kerry but see no reason whatsoever to hire Kevin. Actually, Kerry would make a great Long John Silver" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 1990

"Jim Duggan came out next and made some remarks about Sting and then Sting came out and gave him the reverse DDT and was supposed to leave Duggan laying. At least that's how the commentators were selling it, the only problem was that Duggan got right back up and was marching around the ring as they said it." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 20, 1997.

"Eddie Guerrero double count out Syxx in a 2:00 ladder match. I've got a feeling watching a ladder match go to a double count out in that short a time on TV will make me spent $27.95 to see them have a rematch." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 20, 1997.

"{Steve McMichael} was rumored to be earning in the $350,000 range when he was announcing, haven't heard any word on what he's making to wrestle - or whatever it is they call what he does." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 27, 1997.

"NWO Souled Out (or suddenly the Royal Rumble was a hell of a show) poll results:
Thumbs Up 2
Thumbs Down 175
In the Middle 2"
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 3, 1997. These were the preliminary poll results.

"Bischoff made a remark that they didn't have to give tickets away at a 7-11 to get people to come to this PPV. That was in reference to the WWF which only could get 48,000 paid for its show last week."
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 3, 1997. In reference to Souled Out and the Royal Rumble.

"The idea was to spoof beauty contests but it was so lame the crowd began chanting for Debra McMichael." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 3, 1997.

"Miss NWO finally ended with the sight of Bischoff French kissing an overweight mid 50s woman to no cheers, even fewer laughs, and a lot of gagging around the country. By this time the show was as much fun to watch as three hours of somebody masturbating. In fact, I'm not sure that isn't what we were watching." - The Wrestling Observer: February 3, 1997.

"Benoit threw Konnan over the top for the DQ. Jacquelyn was supposed to pull a chair from under the ring but some WCW idiot had grabbed the chair and was sitting in it and she, on live TV, started looking for a chair and looking for a chair and what a disaster that turned out to be." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 10, 1997.

"Piper talked into the toilet bowl at Hogan."
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 24, 1997.

"A fan hit the ring during the brawl which was funny because the fan forgot to sell Hall and Savage's punches but at least he ran away quickly." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 3, 1997.

"{At the American Film Market 97} only two movies with wrestlers were screened ... The other was Hogan's Santa With Muscles whose first screening attracted all of seven people and whose second screening attracted zero." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 17, 1997.

"Ice Train pinned Maxx in the dark match. Report was that it was about as good as you'd expect." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 24, 1997

"The NWO did an interview. They pretended to be stoned. They pretend very well." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 24, 1997

"Dusty {Rhodes} was really horrid here because he thought Ciclope was Parka because of the horns on his costume (of course it's Psicosis, not Parka who is the one with the horns)."
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 31, 1997.

"Joe Gomez ran in while Renegade watched (the world was just waiting for the Renegade vs. Joe Gomez feud)."
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 7, 1997.

"{Luna Vachon} talked about taking the womens belt from Madusa. Of course Madusa doesn't hold that belt. Akira Hokuto does, but with the communication withing this company, I don't blame her for the mistake."
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 21, 1997.

"Larry Zbyszko didn't know who Roger Clemens was but did bring up Bronko Nagurski as a name everyone should have heard of." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 4, 1997.

"{Bischoff} claimed WWF would be out of business in six months."
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 27, 1997. Backstage meeting with the wrestlers.

"{Bischoff} also said something to the effect that there are only three wrestlers in the room that have ever put asses in the seats and they were Hogan, Piper and Savage and said he was willing to to debate anyone if they disagreed with that assessment."
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 27, 1997. Backstage meeting with the wrestlers.

"After the match, {Van} Hammer carried Riggs from the ring into the crowd, I guess to signify them kidnapping his soul."
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 1, 1997.

"During the match, and this didn't show up on camera, ref Randy Anderson got nailed in the head with a golf ball thrown by a fan" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 08, 1997.

"Glacier & Ernest Miller wrestled Harlem Heat and as Miller was pinned, Glacier didn't even try to make the save. He then grabbed the house mic and said that it was payback for being late to the airport earlier" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 08, 1997

"Nick Patrick patted Hall on the back (turning heel on WCW Saturday Night). Patrick continued at the arenas the rest of the week to do his heel turn, but on Nitro on 12/1 there wasn't so much as a hint of a turn" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 08, 1997.

"Hogan is trying to get Yokozuna into WCW. Remember, he still has a win he needs to get back" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 08, 1997.

"A Sting mannequin sped down from the ceiling. When they went to beat the doll up, it was a real life human they dragged to the ropes that pretended to be the doll. As Hogan made fun of the dummy, the dummy unmasked, revealing real Sting, and unable to unhook himself while beating up the NWO (he) looked ridiculous" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997

"On the Internet Insiders show, Gene Okerlund apologized for saying that Brian Pillman died from cocaine" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997.

"The blond haired member of Raven's group called Lodi was originally going to be called 'The Skank'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997.

"A Sting mannequin sped down from the ceiling. When they went to beat the doll up, it was a real life human they dragged to the ropes that pretended to be the doll. As Hogan made fun of the dummy, the dummy unmasked, revealing real Sting, and unable to unhook himself while beating up the NWO (he) looked ridiculous" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997

"Hall & Nash did an interview with Nash making a hip with the times 34-year-old reference to Jack Rubies and the WCW wrestlers being the Lee Harvey Oswalds" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997.

"Tenay and Schiavone then began extolling the virtues on Larry Zbyszko, who now that he's retired has become a cross between Jack Brisco and Royce Gracie as a master submission expert. They talked about him being a wrestler at Penn State (Well, when he was in high school he once went to a wrestling clinic there) and beating Sammartino at Shea Stadium (Well, at least he was actually in that match). I'm surprised they didn't bring up how he tapped out Royce and shot on Thesz in a double cross if they are going to make things up like that" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997

"The show opened with a dark match as the American Patriots (Curtis "Chip the Firebreaker" Thompson and Todd Champion aka Todd Brafford) returning beating the Samoan Swat Team, billed as Samu and Fatu, although it was the original Samu and the Fatu was Sam Fatu, better known as Samoan Savage and Tonga Kid. All reports are that this match wasn't good, so that should pretty well guarantee they get signed." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997.

"The Samoans are likely (signed) due to Hogan, who apparently has some sort of indebtedness to Afa" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997.

"Steve McMichael was supposed to wrestle Meng. Thankfully that never happened" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997.

"The show was supposed to end with the angle where Sting laid out every member of the NWO except Bischoff and Hogan who escaped unscathed. Because so many fans were hitting the ring, they ran out of time and Sting didn't make it to the ring on time. When Bischoff in the ring realized the angle was blown, he very audibly swore, and then totally freaked out in the ring not realizing that there was a live mic picking it up and it went over the air since there was no seven second delay. He had his head in his hands when the camera came back on him after the swearing" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997.

"During the show they plugged a cruiserweight title match with Guerrero defending the title against Dragon, and for whatever reason with no explanation the match never took place" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997

"Oleg Taktarov's agent called WCW and told them that the WWF was strongly after Oleg. As best we can tell, there is no interest by the WWF in Oleg" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997

"At the show in Buffalo, when the lights went out during the Savage vs. Hugh Morris match, the reason they were out for so long is because Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly hoped the rail and attacked Savage, and WCW security had to grab them and get them out of there before the lights went back on. I've heard that this was a rib on security set up by Savage, Smith and Kelly" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997

"Later on the Buffalo show, a fan got into the ring going after Scott Hall, but Randy Anderson cut him off and kneed him low. WCW refs are getting their own UFC training every week it seems" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997

"Meng's reputation as a tough guy comes from pulling out Jesse Barr's eye, biting the nose off of someone who started trouble with him and beating up the occasional police force" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997.

"This match may not be airable because there was so much dry ice in the building by this time that the whole place was engulfed in fog" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997.

"Starrcade destroyed WCW's all-time gate records and also set the companies all time one-night merchandise record. The paid attendance was a company record...The show was bad" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"It would turn a great phrase to say that 16 months of work was exposed about halfway through Sting's walk down the aisle" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"(Sting vs. Hulk Hogan) saw boring chants two minutes in" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"At this point the plan was for Nick Patrick to deliver a fast count and have Sting kick out before three, but Patrick would rule it a pin, leading to Bret Hart avenging the wrong done to him at Survivor Series and getting the match restarted and taking over as the ref leading to Sting winning with the scorpion submission in the middle. A funny thing happened. Patrick didn't count fast. Why is a bigger mystery than the weird gravitational pull from the alignment of the stars that resulted in Kevin Nash, Royce Gracie and Huntrt Hearst Helmsley all coming up injured within days of eachother just prior to to all having to suffer either symbolic worked or realistic beatings. You can mistime a ref bump. You can blow a move. But how do you blow a fast count? The only reasonable answer is that Hogan changed the spot in the ring and Patrick didn't want to cross Hogan because of all the power that he wields. Coming off of the Hart-Michaels deal which has been the catalyst for everything in the business since, is Bischoff, Hogan and nobody else, perhaps Sting, decided to do a non fast count when there was supposed to be a fast count (your head spinning yet?), but that doesn't make sense either because why did they have the announcers sell it as a fast count the next day when it obviously wasn't and if that was the case the guy who got screwed and made a fool of would have been Hart, who if anything, this company wasn't trying to portray in that matter after the last company did" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"With the finish from the previous night messed up and thus really unable to ever be shown on television, it was decided after the dust settled to change directions once again. A rematch was held on Nitro the next night in Baltimore, with the gimmick being that the finish wouldn't be shown on television. So on Nitro the next night, about six minutes into the rematch, the show abruptly went off the air. Naturally there were more complaints about this the next day at Turner Broadcasting than anything WCW has ever pulled in history" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"Nitro had set a precedent for the last 18 months of staying with the main event until the finish. This was broken once before as a way to garner ratings for the Robin Hood series by pretending Hogan and The Giant were doing a 40 minute match and showing taped clips purported as being live as the show was on the air" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"This actually would be the earliest the show had gone off the air in recent memory despite having nothing but the Nitro replay to follow on TNT and it being billed as the biggest match in Nitro history" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"To make things worse, on a night where so much went wrong, in the finish, where Bischoff was supposed to kick Zbyszko in the head with a loaded kick pad with Scott Hall putting an object in the pad, the object went flying out of Bischoff's kick pad into the air just before the kick made contact with Zbyszko's head. Zbyszko had to sell that blow as a knockout" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"As for the big question about Thursday, well, if you've got any good ideas for a Thursday night show, email them to Eric quickly" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"Scott Hall came out and did the survey and then said that Kevin Nash wouldn't be there. Hall gave no explanation at all. Earlier in the show the announcers said that Nash wouldn't be on the show, but also gave no explanation. For whatever reason, Giant came out and looked like he hadn't slept in a week" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"On the pre-game show, Bobby Heenan and Tony Schiavone were running the show down. This was probably taped a few weeks ago though in the commentary they made it seem like they were doing it live across the street from the building. It was clearly taped before Heenan turned NWO for a week. Heenan was cheerleading for WCW, running down the NWO. He was also talking about doing commentary on the show (which he didn't). It was one of those storyline snafus that are becoming more prevalent. The Nash-Giant match was heavily pushed on the pre-game show despite word being out that it wasn't taking place" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"Randy Savage & Vincent & Scott Norton beat the Steiner Brothers & Ray Traylor. Match was unusually bad" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"Bill Goldberg pinned Steve McMichael. They started brawling in the aisle. Unfortunately, they would end up in the ring" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"Marcus Bagwell pinned Lex Luger. At one point Bagwell called for Vincent to come out. Vincent did some interfering" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"You haven't lived until you have seen McMichael and Hammer do a post match brawl" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"In Charlotte, WCW at a live Nitro had so many problems with fans hitting the ring while the lights were being turned off for the cinematic angle involving Sting that the angle never made it to the ring and ended up being botched to the point that there was an audible voice in the ring swearing over a live mic about the angle" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"Then came the NWO take-over, and after 25 minutes of that we got yet another Bischoff interview where he gave Hogan two motorcycles and a limo for Christmas" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"They ended the show with yet another Bischoff & Hogan interview. This time someone brought Hogan a present which he thought was from Bischoff, but Bischoff denied it. At this point Bret Hart came out in the NWO limo, Hogan opened the present and it was a (replica of) Hogan's head. Hogan freaked out, Hart laughed, and Sting came flying into the ring (on a rope)" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"Buff Bagwell's latest movie, 'Return to Savage Beach', was said to be as bad as his first movie" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

"Hogan's real life attorney Henry Holmes then insisted WCW put up a bond of 1.5 million that Giant won't attack Nash before the PPV" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998

"During his ring entrance, (Juventud Guerrera) jumped on the ropes, lost his balance and embarrassingly fell on his rear end" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998.

"The 2/5 Thunder show was scheduled for the Houston Astrodome. It was moved" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998

"On World Wide which was taped months ago but airing this week they had Hennig beat Booker T clean, and the announcers had to explain it was a non-title match since no belts were around and also ignore Jacquelyne (fired well before) running around at ringside" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998

"John Nord beat Barbarian with the camel clutch in 5:06. AWFUL. This made made the crowd, which started out really hot, subdued for the rest of the show" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998

"Only memorable thing about the match was Bobby Heenan talking about the show on Thursday (Thunder) being the reason 'Steinfeld' quit. Hey, I thought he was going to say that's why they cancelled Bonanza" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998

"One of the reasons Sting-Hogan didn't get a lot of heat at Starrcade was because there was a rumor going around the building that it wasn't the real Sting" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998

"The taping before 2,000 fans was marred by four injuries" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998.

"John Nord beat Lizmark Jr. The match must have been someone's idea of a practical joke since Nord can't have a decent match with a guy who speaks his language and works his style. Well, nobody exactly works his style but you get my drift" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998

"Savage refused to beat Ray Traylor because he considered Traylor a jobber" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998.

"Still, this was only the second lamest announcing comment of the week, as nothing could touch Stagger Lee Marshall's contention that the Lucha Libre style is very similar to Jiu Jitsu on Thunder two nights earlier" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"At best, Luger vs. Savage was a distant fourth in interest level. Obviously it went on last anyway because that was the match where Hogan was going to get involved" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"By the way, does anyone know what 'Juvi Juice' stands for on Guerrera's tights? If they do, please don't tell me" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998.

"Martel started working a subtle heel style, but it was so subtle (since it was the kind of things that would get heat a decade ago) that they crowd actually didn't even figure out he was a heel" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"As Zbyszko was laying there to get sympathy, a huge 'Larry Sucks' chant started again" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998.

"Nash actually tried a pescado, but his legs caught the top rope going over" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998.

"This enabled Hogan to give Nash a pitcher of coffee which he threw in Giant's face. (Nash) went to jackknife him for the pin but couldn't handle the weight and actually dropped him, dangerously, on his neck" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Liz's offense was better than half the guys in the promotion" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Hall and Hogan came out, with Hall wearing a Black Cat New Japan t-shirt, which I guess would be comparable to Chono wearing a a Wayne Bloom t-shirt" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Mongo did an interview, leading to Davey Boy Smith coming out and issuing a challenge for later in the show. Whose idea of a practical joke was that?" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Nash did his 6'10" Robin Williams comedy" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Tony Schiavone said that Chavo was Eddie's brother" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998.

"The entire NWO came out and Savage started running everyone down. There was an inside comment there because everyone was cracking up and unable to keep up the gimmick" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Davey Boy Smith pinned Mongo in 3:02 with what could loosely be described as a powerslam. - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"To show how Regis follows WCW, when Kimberly was talking, they acknowledged her husband in the audience and Regis called him Diamond Dan" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Goldberg destroyed Cold Stoned Kendall Windham" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Hall did an interview with Spicolli supposedly breaking Larry Zbyszko's golf clubs" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Dusty Rhodes got a gig on a three hour prime time Friday Night show 'Motor Madness' on The Nashville Network. It's a show covering Monster Trucks, but using pro wrestling storylines. Rhodes is announcing the show. From what we understand, he was terrible and almost incomprehensible in his debut" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"Lex Luger beat Scott Hall via DQ in a DUD match including the worst reverse atomic drop of the past five years (usually Luger's miss by about a foot, but this missed by far more)" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

"At that point, there were boring chants as they were doing high spots. Parka did a lot of dancing, and when the crowd didn't react to it, he did funny mannerisms making fun of the audience" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998.

"Nick Patrick still acted like a heel even though he kissed Gene Okerlund" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998

"The original plan was to get a famous lawyer from the most famous trial in recent history involved who would show up at the PPV and legally "bully" Dillon into reinstating Nick Patrick for the main event rather than Dillion having to basically reverse positions with no logical reason at all. Johnnie Cochran was the first choice, but when that didn't materialize, they completed a deal for Robert Shapiro (I'm not making this up). Anyway, a few days before the show Shapiro backed out at the last minute. WCW made a last-ditch attempt to get Cochran, who claimed to have liked the idea and would have been willing to do it, but darn those previous commitments" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998

"As usual, McMichael was awful. DUD" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998.

"With the match at its most pathetic, Tony Schiavone screamed about how this was Hogan at his best" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998

"It was really funny to see The Barbarian in the ring wearing a tie acting concerned, killing his gimmick" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998

"They had throughout the show teased a new member of the nWo. Out came a bearded Ed Leslie" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998

"The NWO came out with Savage, still unconscious from the beating three hours earlier, on their shoulders with a Sting mask on" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998

"They showed a music video with Page and the flock. Page beat everyone up in the video, and then in the interview acted like the music video was real life. You can't play that game in the 90's" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 09, 1998

"Bulldog is trying to break DiMaggio's streak for most consecutive horrible matches" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 09, 1998

"Steiner came out with Ted Dibiase, accepted the shirt, and turned on the NWO, which made perfect sense since there were five of them and one of him. They beat his rear end while Ted Dibiase tried to figure out a way to avoid not looking stupid just standing there" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 09, 1998

"In the leave your brain at the office match, Nash was DQ'd against Raven in a NO-DQ match for giving two power bombs to Lodi and getting arrested" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 09, 1998.

Also mods, please change the thread title to the bolded part: "Michael Buffer came out for absolutely no reason. See, he was there to announce the main event. But get this, there was no main event. Flair, at this moment, fell out of the turnip truck, grabbed a hoe and kept falling down" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 22, 1999.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 25, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

This is one of my favorite bad segments of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfSpRUBntIw

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MassRayPer posted:

"Still, this was only the second lamest announcing comment of the week, as nothing could touch Stagger Lee Marshall's contention that the Lucha Libre style is very similar to Jiu Jitsu on Thunder two nights earlier" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998

Considering that luta livre is an actual Brazilian submission grappling style that is similar to Brazilian jiu jitsu, I wonder if the announcer got the name wrong on the air or if this writer just didn't know what he was talking about and filled in the blanks via the availability heuristic.

Mohammeds Radio
Dec 8, 2007
Get up and dance! Get up and dance or I'll kill ya! And I got the means too!
to this day my favorite one is "a fan hit goldberg with a cardboard star of david"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

proof of concept posted:

Considering that luta livre is an actual Brazilian submission grappling style that is similar to Brazilian jiu jitsu, I wonder if the announcer got the name wrong on the air or if this writer just didn't know what he was talking about and filled in the blanks via the availability heuristic.

Lee Marshall, misunderstood genius

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
As far as I'm concerned everything the WCW did that was stupid and wrong is more than made up for by this segment wherein Norman Smiley comes across some grade-school kids doing backyard wrestling, gives them a lecture about safety, then hits their champion with a surprise pin and runs off with their cardboard and tin foil belt.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

proof of concept posted:

As far as I'm concerned everything the WCW did that was stupid and wrong is more than made up for by this segment wherein Norman Smiley comes across some grade-school kids doing backyard wrestling, gives them a lecture about safety, then hits their champion with a surprise pin and runs off with their cardboard and tin foil belt.

If the camera panned to the left, you would have seen Jerry Lawler.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

"Jim Duggan came out next and made some remarks about Sting and then Sting came out and gave him the reverse DDT and was supposed to leave Duggan laying. At least that's how the commentators were selling it, the only problem was that Duggan got right back up and was marching around the ring as they said it." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 20, 1997.

I take it Duggan was a complete dick in WCW, given this and the whole thing with Alex Wright.

quote:

to this day my favorite one is "a fan hit goldberg with a cardboard star of david"

Still the best, I wish this was on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

proof of concept posted:

I can't wait until the weekly Nitros get to Norman Smiley and Ralphus hanging out. :aaa: