Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I, Butthole posted:

Worth it. It's a hell of a bag; got the Retrospective 20 and it holds a 5D Mark 2 with 70-200, 7D with a 17-55, a Sigma 50mm, a Sigma 24mm, and a 580EXII plus a Kindle and assorted other poo poo like car keys, ear plugs, spare batteries and cards, and business cards, all in separate compartments. Plus it's durable as all get out, relatively waterproof, and the silent velcro is a godsend for quiet acoustic shows or wildlife on the run, or even street stuff.

I have a Retrospective 20 as well. It's a great bag but my main annoyance with it is the flap cover. It's velcro only, so if you have the silencers in place, the flap flaps around a lot if it's breezy because the flap is long compared to other bags. The size of the flap is also annoying because it becomes a bit of a nuisance dealing with that much fabric when accessing the bag frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
What I normally do is to cover the velcro partially with the silencers, just experiment till you find a balance between security and noise that you are ok with.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
It would be nice if the Retrospective series also had another way to secure the lid besides the velcro.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I've always dug the magnetic clips on handbags I have bought people over the years, weird they have never really taken caught on for 'grab bags' and gear bags.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Creepy Goat posted:

I've always dug the magnetic clips on handbags I have bought people over the years, weird they have never really taken caught on for 'grab bags' and gear bags.

I'm probably worrying more than I should but I wouldn't want any magnetic clasps potentially near my memory cards.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
from an engineering perspective, you want something with a ton of resistance to sideways(shearing) motion, which both velcro and a locking clip have, but also an easy way to open it when you actually want to. Camera bags, especially at this price point, are likely to have a lot of relatively heavy, extremely expensive gear in them just aching to fall out and land hard onto concrete (or into water). So you probably don't actually want magnetic clips securing the flap. They could do nicely to hold it in place when you would otherwise have nothing at all holding the flap down.

EDIT: Maybe a bayonette clip? You've already got an F-mount holding your lenses, why not your bag flap?

MarsellusWallace fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 29, 2012

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I suppose some people prefer the peace of mind from buckles and velcro. I've thrown my camera, notebook (paper) and a hoodie/jumper into a flimsy nylon messenger for the past 4 years that I picked up for £20 in my local Superdry shop. It has one plastic fastener on the front which I regularly forgot to fasten and nothing ever fell out. 30D + zoom lens isn't light.

It was this but different colour/design-

You could literally scrunch it up and stuff it in a tin, I'm surprised I never cracked a lens by plonking it down on something hard. I would be fine with magnetic clips, I tested a few today and they are pretty strong and they were just single clips. A long strip or two at each end would be nearly as effective as velcro. Not to mention that if it does come 'undone' it would re-attach itself almost immediately.

Then again I don't carry a 1 series EOS or L glass. For lightweight/minimal gear though I think it would be quite good.

e; Also as far as I know flash memory is immune to magnetic fields? (Within reason of course)

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 29, 2012

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Once the weather turns in the spring the gf and I will be heading out on various longer rides on our bikes on the weekends and plenty of shorter ones during the week. I'm debating a bag that would allow me to take the d700 and my 50mm (and whatever else I may need) along with us so we could get better pictures than my ancient P&S or our phones.

I was debating something like a small Lowepro Slingshot but wondered if any of you do this and what type of bag you use.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Just recieved my Acme Made Union Street Messenger (and brand new 600d :dance:), took some shots of it but will take it out today and see how easy to use it is before I write up a review. Really nice looking, bright red interior makes it easy to see your gear and contrasts really well with the exterior black finish. Smaller than I expected though.

Okay here we go-

Flap covers the entire front of the bag and is made of a waterproof abrasion-resistant fabric, nice almost-shiny black that looks very sleek. Sides, base and rear are all your standard nylon affair (with a slight sheen) which as far as I know is no more water-resistant than any other nylon bag. It is however quite thick and feels very good quality, I wouldn't be worried about any significant wear if you were using this day-to-day.

Awesome feature, yet so simple. A lens cap pocket! Simply slip your lens cap into the opening and it isn't going anywhere, found this really handy!

Onto the interior, bright red fabric makes it really easy to see into every corner and contrasts with the black nicely. You get two dividers with the bag which have fold over flaps on top. Usefull if you using a wider camera like the 30/40/50/60D but with my 600D I would rather not have to bother with them as it slots in fine without. I do not think a body with battery grip would fit very well, if at all. It is a snug fit for my Rebel with a little bit of breathing room front/back, a chunkier camera like my old 30D would fill that extra space easily.

Zip pocket under the flap on the front, quite roomy and has two interior elasticated pockets for memory cards. Would easily accomodate filters/lens caps/phone/slim wallet/sunglasses in the rest of the pocket.

There is another zip pocket on the front of the flap, surprisingly large and could fit a 7inch tablet with case or large notepad. Zippers feel great by the way, not worried about them breaking or locking up. They have a little rubber pull on them too which is a nice touch.

Last pocket, no idea what this is intended for but all I can fit really is passport + a few folded a4 papers. Velcro sealed and pretty hard to get open, there is no way you could fit anything more than that in there.

Here it is with some gear in so you can judge the size. Speedlite on the left, 600D then a 70-210 zoom lens. 600D has the Tamron 17-50 attached and sits just below the top of the bag. Probably couldn't sit it in there comfortably with anything longer (like the zoom to the right). In place of the 70-210 you could easily throw in a couple of primes, or lose the speedlite and add another large lens. Move the camera to the left and you can fit a telephoto lengthways.

Out and about-

It is much smaller than I expected and so doesn't 'wrap' around your body. Very well padded but it feels blocky when wearing it, running causes it to bounce wildly against your waist but when walking it rarely moves. I put this on first then my Black Rapid sling over the top and the two don't interfere at all, camera sat nicely on my hip and the bag was tucked out of the way on my back/waist. Considering the size of the bag I would be more inclined to load it up with the stuff I need and then have my camera out all the time seeing as the camera body takes up about 60% of the space. Alternatively it is perfect for taking to a bar/club/formal event where you can safely tuck your camera gear out of the way when not needed; being quite discreet and stylish it won't draw any looks or questions.

Taking it up to London tomorrow (if I can fit spare pants, tshirt and toiletries in the lens/flash space!) so I will see how well it holds up. Being so small I can't see it as being very interesting for thieves as there is no way it could be mistaken for a laptop bag or ipad bag. Looks like it could hold no more than a packed lunch and a book.

So for £39 I am really pleased, I doubt I could have found a better quality or better looking camera bag for that price anywhere else. Like I said, it would be perfect for club shooting but it is far too small to be used as anything more than a walkaround bag. Looks like I will still be picking up something bigger soon!

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 1, 2012

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
I'm looking for a decent laptop/camera messenger bag. The Ona Union St is perfect, except that I can't justify spending that much on a camera bag. If I don't find something else soon I fear I'll do something stupid.

I'm looking at some options from Tamrac, Tenba, and Crumpler. Here's what I need to carry:

13" Mac Air w/ charger
Nikon d7000 body
2 small lenses
1 large lens (Tokina 11-16)
battery charger
misc small accessories (wipe cloth, remote, etc)

Do any of you have experience with the Tamrac Rally 7 or the Tenba Small. Are these decent?

Are there any other messenger bags that any of you can recommend that will hold my required items, look decent, and not cost a fortune? Crumpler and ThinkTank probably won't work (at least the bags I've seen). Are there any other brands or models that I'm missing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've always heard good things about Tamrac bags.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Has anyone got experience with the ApeCase bags? I'm tempted to get one for my upcoming trip to Europe since it looks like it would double as my purse and also looks hard to pickpocket.

I'm specifically looking at the ACPRO1200:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Magicaljesus posted:

Do any of you have experience with the Tamrac Rally 7 or the Tenba Small. Are these decent?

I got the Tamrac Rally 4 a couple of weeks ago. It's okay. I use it for carrying my Nex stuff around with a bunch of manual focus lenses. Solidly built, carries well, looks okay. My main gripe with it is that the buckle on the flap is awful. It's secure enough once it's snapped up, but getting it snapped takes a couple of tries if you're not looking at it because of the way the prongs on it are designed. Considering it's a fraction of the price of a Crumpler or Think Tank, it's not bad.

HPL fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 12, 2012

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

How does a sling/shoulder bag like the Retrospective work with a shoulder sling strap like the RS-7? Would it be more comfortable with the RS-7 and a traditional backpack style bag?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Are there any camera backpacks that are good for hiking and the like? Somewhere I can put gear, but also store a jacket and some food. Big is fine.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

duckstab posted:

How does a sling/shoulder bag like the Retrospective work with a shoulder sling strap like the RS-7? Would it be more comfortable with the RS-7 and a traditional backpack style bag?

I use nothing but shoulder bags and use sling straps almost all the time. They work fine. I usually put the bag across my body one way and the strap the other. That way nothing falls off and the camera helps to balance out the bag.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Are there any camera backpacks that are good for hiking and the like? Somewhere I can put gear, but also store a jacket and some food. Big is fine.

I've got the F-stop Loka and absolutely adore it. I was looking for the same thing about a year ago after getting tired of carrying a bladder system for water, my camera bag and hand carrying my tripod on hikes. The bag is a bit pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. It has a fantastic suspension system that rivals my backpacking pack, plus it's really built as camera bag so you get the storage for little accessories and the like.

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass
So I just received a battery grip for my D7000, and it seems my shoulder bag isn't quite big enough for the camera + grip combination. Oops. This does give me a great excuse to buy a proper carrying device for it though and as it happens to be I'm lacking a sling bag. Any recommendations?

I'd be delighted if it could fit the D7000 + grip + attached lens (70-200 f2.8-ish with hood reversed) + extra lens/flash + has a small compartment for miscellanea. I'd also be willing to look at sling bags with less space if they can fit the grip. I already have a camera backpack that fits a laptop so I'll use that for my mobile computer needs.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Lege posted:

So I just received a battery grip for my D7000, and it seems my shoulder bag isn't quite big enough for the camera + grip combination. Oops. This does give me a great excuse to buy a proper carrying device for it though and as it happens to be I'm lacking a sling bag. Any recommendations?

I'd be delighted if it could fit the D7000 + grip + attached lens (70-200 f2.8-ish with hood reversed) + extra lens/flash + has a small compartment for miscellanea. I'd also be willing to look at sling bags with less space if they can fit the grip. I already have a camera backpack that fits a laptop so I'll use that for my mobile computer needs.

If you're looking for another shoulder bag, the Retrospective 20 can take a gripped camera with 70-200.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Falco posted:

I've got the F-stop Loka and absolutely adore it. I was looking for the same thing about a year ago after getting tired of carrying a bladder system for water, my camera bag and hand carrying my tripod on hikes. The bag is a bit pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. It has a fantastic suspension system that rivals my backpacking pack, plus it's really built as camera bag so you get the storage for little accessories and the like.

That's a little pricey for what I'm looking for. Are there any decent pack inserts I could use with something like this rifle backpack? I was thinking about using the rifle section to carry a tripod since there's plenty of room in there.

Edit: Oh Eberlestock makes a camera case insert for their rucks now. Too bad I bought my pack before the Gunslinger II came out. :(

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 14, 2012

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass
Re: sling bags, camera + grip:

I've done a bit of research and I've found confirmation that the Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW, Tamrac Evolution 8 and Tenba Shootout Medium bags can fit a gripped camera through the side port. No word on other bags which I find to be disappointing. The Lowepro is the cheapest of these but it looks like rear end. The Tamrac isn't a dedicated sling bag, it has this weird 3-in-1 configuration that makes me worry about ergonomics. It also looks like rear end. Tenba is a bit of an unknown brand but the bag looks nice enough. Considering this I'll probably end up with Lowepro since Tenba's not available in my country.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I like my Slingshot 202 but yeah it will barely fit my gripped E-5 or 30 body. Still, I mostly use it out on shorter hikes and I'd rather have my body without a grip to cut down on weight. Overall I like it because it holds pretty solid to my back without shifting around, especially when using that smaller secondary strap that attaches to the main one.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My gripped a700 (which is not a svelte camera since the grip is tall) will fit in my Tamrac Velocity 9X with the 70-200 f/2.8 attached no problems. The 70-400 will just barely fit with the lens shade reversed; the shade really adds to the diameter. Still, I can carry the 17-50 and the flash in the sides with no problem, the lens might just extend when pulling it out of the bag. The downside is that the sling is right-side only and it can get kind of weird with an R-strap. Other than that, it's been great.

The Lowepro Outback 200 will also work well and has the benefit of being modular. I find I like these kinds of toploading sling bags over the slingshot types since they have less risk of the side falling out.

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass

DJExile posted:

I like my Slingshot 202 but yeah it will barely fit my gripped E-5 or 30 body. Still, I mostly use it out on shorter hikes and I'd rather have my body without a grip to cut down on weight. Overall I like it because it holds pretty solid to my back without shifting around, especially when using that smaller secondary strap that attaches to the main one.

Have you tried putting your camera + grip combination sideways into the bag? I'm curious if it would fit better that way.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Lege posted:

Re: sling bags, camera + grip:

I've done a bit of research and I've found confirmation that the Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW, Tamrac Evolution 8 and Tenba Shootout Medium bags can fit a gripped camera through the side port. No word on other bags which I find to be disappointing. The Lowepro is the cheapest of these but it looks like rear end. The Tamrac isn't a dedicated sling bag, it has this weird 3-in-1 configuration that makes me worry about ergonomics. It also looks like rear end. Tenba is a bit of an unknown brand but the bag looks nice enough. Considering this I'll probably end up with Lowepro since Tenba's not available in my country.

I recently bought the Lowepro Passport sling. It's small light and comfortable. A little odd with the RS-7, but manageable if one is over one shoulder and the camera over the other. The second compartment can hold a multitude of odds and ends, perhaps even an iPad. I usually have my flash and another small lens (usually my 50 1.4) with the divider separating the two or with my hat and gloves. This compartment is expandable if you want to add in a few more items.

Some cons though:

Deceptively small and not very configurable. Comes with a removable shell with only one divider in it and the divider is limited to where it can be placed. Without the divider, the shell does hold my camera, grip, strap and 24L comfortably. With the 24-70, not so much, even with the hood reversed it's a little tight.

Overall, I like it for its simplicity and size and because it just works for what I currently need from a camera bag.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lege posted:

Have you tried putting your camera + grip combination sideways into the bag? I'm curious if it would fit better that way.

Yeah it has to go in sideways, and it's a pretty tight fit with my 50-200mm (the lens is about 6.2" long, to give you an idea) but it can be done. I usually put in a gripless body with 14-54mm, and have a 35mm macro in the spare area, and maybe a flash as well. Gripless body with the 50-200 fits alright but if I want to put another lens on, I have to leave the 50-200 in the main portion and it slides around a little. It's not a problem and I'm completely confident it won't fall out but it is a little annoying to feel it slide around.

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass
Bit the bullet and ordered a Kata DPS 3n1-20 since I got a good deal. I'm buying locally so I can always return it if it doesn't work out. Will return with pictures and a trip report!

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Is it possible to update all the good bag review into the op?

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Has anyone got any reccomendations for water-tight housings? I'm shooting mostly video with my T3i in SW Nigeria in April-July (wet season) and it looks to be 75% tropical thunderstorms. I'd prefer 'soft' housing over a hard shell, and I don't have very much to spend. All I see are 'underwater' housings that cost £500+, I don't need diving spec stuff just something that will stop the rain.

e; I used a sandwich bag and elastic band for Hyde Park with a hole cut in the front and a DIY plasticard rain hood. I'd like something a bit more sturdy and easy to use though.

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 17, 2012

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Cover-Canon-Models-combinations/dp/B0016D3YJY

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I use one like this http://www.amazon.com/Kata-Large-Digital-Camera-Raincover/dp/B0001VB1QU/ref=pd_cp_p_3 but another brand that cost about 1/3 the price of this one. It works okay, has a zipper on the bottom for a tripod mount, elastic banded holes on either side for your hands, and an elastic tube out the front with a hard plastic velcro band that can be bent around the end of the lens.

My issues: there is no easy way to get the neck strap out of that thing that doesn't result in the hole it leaves facing up while carrying by the strap. If it's raining it's probably also cold, which means that your hand being inside (or even just the air trapped inside not getting colder) will cause the clear portion to fog up readily, which makes it very difficult to use the viewfinder and coats your camera in condensation which is what the thing was supposed to be preventing in the first place. Lens changes are not going to happen without removing the bag entirely, and the bag itself is very huge compared to my full sized SLR which means there is a lot of material flowing all over the place, blowing in the wind, getting in the frame, etc.

I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5; it sort of works, it's cheap, and it's relatively durable.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Hmm those are pretty much what I was worried 'rain cover's would be like. I would be shooting handheld with a Black Rapid strap and handstrap with a lot of moving around in quite busy environments, so something that bulky probably wouldn't work too well.

I might just have to cut up an old camel-bak hydration insert to my cameras measurements and then attach a DIY lens rain-hood to the front to protect the glass. It's surprising how much of a pain in the arse a bit of rain can be to non weather-sealed gear. I would have thought there would be some modestly-priced streamlined cases/covers for dSLRs by now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I love the OP/Tech rainsleeves myself. I'd be a bit iffy about it in a huge downpour but they've always held up well in pretty much any driving rain.

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass

Lege posted:

Bit the bullet and ordered a Kata DPS 3n1-20 since I got a good deal. I'm buying locally so I can always return it if it doesn't work out. Will return with pictures and a trip report!

Remember this post? The bag finally loving arrived. Review coming tomorrow, with a bonus!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I need a bag suggestion.

Use case: mainly for rock climbing, some backpacking possible.
Dont plan to take it up on climbs; but will be subject to some rappelling and/or light climbing and heavy hiking.

Needs to fit a 60D with the EF-S 17-55. Ideally a 70-200 f/4 too, but thats not as important.

Dont really care to bring much else equipment down rock faces. Just something that is compact and offers pretty good protection for the more difficult to access areas.

Suggestions?

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass
Alright, as promised, here are some pics and words. Enter the Kata 3n1-20 sling bag:

Pictures 1 & 2: Kata 3n1-20, front and back

I got this thing for 80 eur and for the price it certainly isn't a bad bag. The materials are what you would expect, 100% synthetic fibre. The construction is pretty solid; the bag keeps its form well and can handle anything short of a person sitting on it without deforming. The internal padding contributes to this and there's a reinforced spine under the middle seam on the front side of the bag. The top handle is hella manly and offers a good grip for even the biggest of claws. Included are a rain cover & a padded pouch for memory cards (which has velcro on the back so it can be attached to wherever the dividers can too).

The shoulder straps can be set up in 4 ways; classic backpack style, crossed across your chest (so one of the straps can be unattached for quick sling access) or left/right handed sling style. I can't comment yet on the backpack or cross style setup but I'm sure they'll work just fine. The straps have their own compartments to be stuffed in when they're not in use so they won't dangle around incessantly.

Even though the bag's highly customizable the ergonomics leave something to be desired. The sling style setup is handy in that it can be changed from left- to right-handed shooting when necessary. However in the left-handed case taking out the camera can be a bit awkward as your hand won't fit in properly between the side port flap and the camera handle as pictured here:

Picture 3: Kata 3n1-20, side port open with equipment inside

The internal dividers can be moved around so there will be more room for your hand but you will basically have to settle with one of the compartments being smaller. This won't be a problem if you're using the right handed strap setup as the side port flap opens into the opposite direction and won't be in your way. Irritatingly enough the camera compartment dividers are preset as left handed.

The sling action itself works well: you can operate it with just one hand by grabbing and pulling the metal ring in the bottom of the shoulder straps (see picture 2) and the bag will easily slide to your front. The side port will now face upwards, preventing anything from falling out upon opening. If the shoulder strap isn't loosened enough you'll have to put your hand into a pretty awkward position when grabbing your camera, but I bet this varies from person to person. Even if you loosen the shoulder strap the bag is quite stable in front of you, I could probably put a plate on it and eat while walking around.

Picture 4: Kata 3n1-20, camera compartment main flap open with equipment

I grabbed whatever was nearby and proceeded to cram as much crap that could reasonably fit into the camera compartment to demonstrate how spacious the thing is.

1 - Flash on bottom with 50mm, 35mm and extension tube on top. If I were to pack my bag like this in a real situation I'd probably enjoy the rattling sound of lenses moving around inside.
2 - D7000, grip, Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 HSM Macro with hood attached. You can easily fit a bigger lens here if you reverse the hood. There's also a FastnR-3 on the bottom of the D7000, it fits in no problem (don't have an actual sling strap to attach to the FastnR so can't demonstrate that yet).
3 - A crappy telezoom (in a vertical position!), memory card pouch and rain cover with a divider between them. The location for the rain cover here is pretty suboptimal as opening the main flap will expose the contents to the elements and the other side flap cannot be operated as some of the dividers are attached to it. Oops.

Picture 5: Kata 3n1-20, top compartment

The top compartment is fairly small. There's a meshed pocket for small things and another 2 pockets for a media player/cell phone/whatever. I don't think it's big enough to fit a pen in an upright position properly but I DO know that it can comfortably fit a six-pack of 0.33 l cans (or 2 flashes in a sideways position + some extras but who cares about that). There's a very sneaky undocumented feature about the top compartment; the bottom is outlined by a zipper and can be opened to expose the camera compartment. What this means is that you can utilize the bag as a big vertical space for a camera + one big rear end lens.

Picture 6: Kata 3n1-20, side pockets

Finally we have the side pockets. These are really small and can only fit miscellanea like filters, memory cards or batteries. I use the pockets to store unused camera compartment dividers, at least until I need the space for something else. To give you some idea how big the pocket is the vertical space is barely enough to store an European passport. The side port flap is seen open at the bottom.

So that about covers it. All in all I'm happy with my purchase. The only thing I miss is the capability to carry a monopod/tripod but I think I can mod that in.

I did promise you a bonus and here it is; Kata DR-467 camera & laptop backpack review!

Picture 7: Kata DR-467, front side

I've had this thing for about a year and a half now. I originally bought it since I thought it would be cool to have a camera backpack and this thing was only 60 eur online, new with tags. The construction and materials are fairly similar to the 3n1-20 so I won't go into details. The fact that I've ended up buying another Kata product is purely coincidental, I haven't enjoyed using this bag so much. Anyways, it does fulfill its role, so let's take a closer look.

Pictures 8 & 9: Kata DR-467, camera compartment

The bag's camera compartment is at the bottom and operated by opening the zippers and then pulling and rotating the compartment out, a bit like using a drawer. If you have stuff in the top compartment the whole thing will tend to tip which makes this bag a hassle to deal with. For best results brace it against a wall or a tree or whatever's nearby.

1 - The crappy telezoom is positioned sideways on the bottom with the smaller primes on top. As you can see there's still vertical space available.
2 - D7000, grip, Sigma kit zoom replacement. In this case the hood on the Sigma has to be reversed for it to fit in. The dividers must be arranged to fit the gripped camera + attached lens.
3 - Pentacon Auto 135mm 2.8 included just for the hell of it. A flash fits in here in an upright position, but only barely.

Picture 10: Kata DR-467, top compartment
Picture 11: Kata 3n1-20 and DR-467, top compartment comparison

Here's pictures of the top compartments of DR-467 and 3n1-20. The perspective messes with the second picture here; the DR-467's compartment seems to be much smaller than in reality (the 3n1-20, while a bit taller, is also about two thirds as wide as the DR-467). I used the can-of-beverage unit of volume to make a (poor) demonstration of the amount of space inside each, and while the 3n1-20 can fit a six-pack the DR-467 has room for 16 cans (8 + 8 stacked on each other).

Picture 12: Kata DR-467, laptop compartment

The DR-467 has a well padded compartment for a laptop right next to your back. I've used it to carry a Moleskine A4 Portfolio (pictured) and assorted documents. As you can see there's plenty of room left over.

Picture 13: Kata DR-467, front pockets

Finally, there's the three front pockets. The middle one is deceptively spacious; you can probably fit 3-4 flashes in there if you wanted to. You'd have trouble though since the opening is fairly tight compared to the size of the interior so it's best used to carry smaller things. The two smaller pockets are currently used to store the included rain cover and leftover dividers from the camera compartment, and it's a snug fit as it is.

As a bottom line I'd probably enjoy using the DR-467 more if it didn't have the tipping problem and wearing it didn't make you look like a complete tool. The bottom of the bag is wider than the rest and perfectly rectangular, I guess to facilitate better stability when you put it down. Not only does it fail at its intended purpose it also looks like crap. Now that I have the sling I'll probably sell this thing and pass its shortcomings along. Good riddance!

Lege fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 29, 2012

Pureone
Nov 6, 2008
I'm going backpacking over southeast asia for a couple months and need a bag suggestion.

I'm only going to be bringing one bag with me, so ideally it would be able to fit a fair amount of clothes, and toiletries, all the while keeping my T3i and Macbook Pro (13") safe. I guess this means that I will need a separate area in it for a laptop and camera. I was just gifted the camera, so I will only be bringing the 18-55mm lens that it came with.

The most important thing is comfort. I will be lugging this all over the countries I will be visiting. Unfortunately, it has to be under 100 dollars as well.

Is there anything out there that is worth checking out?

I've been checking this Kata bag out: http://www.amazon.com/Kata-DR-466i-Digital-Rucksack-Black/dp/B0035XXNJY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2R8AE4AEY20DO&colid=1H86ISI0A07LQ

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Pureone posted:

I'm going backpacking over southeast asia for a couple months and need a bag suggestion.

I'm only going to be bringing one bag with me, so ideally it would be able to fit a fair amount of clothes, and toiletries, all the while keeping my T3i and Macbook Pro (13") safe. I guess this means that I will need a separate area in it for a laptop and camera. I was just gifted the camera, so I will only be bringing the 18-55mm lens that it came with.

The most important thing is comfort. I will be lugging this all over the countries I will be visiting. Unfortunately, it has to be under 100 dollars as well.

I've been checking this Kata bag out: http://www.amazon.com/Kata-DR-466i-Digital-Rucksack-Black/dp/B0035XXNJY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2R8AE4AEY20DO&colid=1H86ISI0A07LQ

That looks a little small for clothing and toiletries for two months. Since you're not bringing a whole lot of camera gear I think you would be better off using a real backpacker's bag and a separate padded insert just for your camera. Something like this or this.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Pureone posted:

Like said in the previous post, buy a true backpacking pack. It will be loads more comfortable for hauling around, hold the items better, and wont stand out saying this bag has camera gear. As for something to hold the laptop and camera, just buy a neoprene case for the laptop and throw the camera in the bag somewhere with clothes. dSLRs are remarkably sturdy if if you wrap it up with a soft piece of clothing like a sweatshirt, long sleeve or something it will be fine in your bag. Or you can go the route like an insert that MrFrosty linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureone
Nov 6, 2008
I guess the reason that I wasn't looking for a pure backpacking backpack was because I want to get something that I would be able to use in everyday photography. Especially as I get more gear for it.

• Locked thread