Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glumwheels posted:

For the people with the cuisinart mcp cookware, did your pans develop discoloration and spots? I'm going to be replacing/upgrading pans soon and I'm kind of torn between the cuisinart mcp pans and all-clad. Money isn't an issue and I'd rather have something well made and that will last a long time.

Standard dish soap and a scrub brush will do just fine at getting actual dirty food remnants off of the Multiclad cookware, but it will do nothing for the discoloration that results from cooking. Some foods are worse than others. I think the discoloration is actually mineral deposits that form on the surface of the metal, so you either need to scrub off that layer of metal itself (steel wool, which seems like with repeated use would wear down the layers of the pan) or some chemical process to take out the mineral stains. I'm no chemist, but the active ingredient in Barkeeper's Friend is oxalic acid, which I guess must be particularly good at removing these stains.

I was a bit wary of all of the supposed extra cleaning hassle that comes with stainless, but I never experienced it myself. Soak the pans for a while, scrub off any food residue with regular dish soap, and when you feel so inclined wash them with BKF and a regular sponge and they look like new.

Also, if you want to keep your stainless looking its best, abrasive cleaning will scratch the hell out of your cookware. It's the same reason for using plastic/metal utensils with the cookware. A concept that still eludes my roommates... :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

cereal eater posted:

What is the best food processor I can get, bang for the buck? I just want some time savers in the kitchen, so I'm not spending all my time chopping onions and mincing garlic. Amazon or Costco would be great.

Cuisinart is not what it used to be, and I'm well sick of them floating on their past glory. Get a kitchenaid. BFF bought one, and it does an excellent job. Best part is that for smaller jobs, it has an inset of a smaller bowl with its own chopping blades. It's large enough for pretty much anything you'll need done.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

If you're not doing a large amount of stuff, get something like this.

Honestly the only thing I use my full sized processor for these days is grating bar soap for making my own laundry detergent. I hate that thing, double so now that then handle broke and I have to finagle with stuff to even get it to work.

The gently caress? How is this remotely economical?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

For the people with the cuisinart mcp cookware, did your pans develop discoloration and spots? I'm going to be replacing/upgrading pans soon and I'm kind of torn between the cuisinart mcp pans and all-clad. Money isn't an issue and I'd rather have something well made and that will last a long time.

They're always going to discolour, it's not a big deal. That said, I had a cuisinart mcp steel pan that had the base peel away from the rest of the pan, I just use it when I want to throw something in the oven now since the shape of the bottom is so bad.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Honestly the only thing I use my full sized processor for these days is grating bar soap for making my own laundry detergent. I hate that thing, double so now that then handle broke and I have to finagle with stuff to even get it to work.

Please explain what the hell you are doing

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I don't get the desire to have stainless cookware looking new, how is anyone supposed to know that you cook in it? I like to look at my discolorations as battle scars, remnants of delicious meals of past...

Also as far as food processors go, I'd recommend checking out Bed, Bath, and Beyond's clearance section regularly. I got a 12 cup KitchenAid that was a display, so it was marked down like $80, and then I used a 20% off coupon. I got a $200 food processor for like $100

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I decided to go with a Progressive Vegetable Chopper in lieu of a food processor at this point, thanks all for the advice.

I put the Oregon Scientific Wireless Thermometer in my amazon cart: http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-AW131-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B000RL2ZGO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

But was curious about chef knife recommendations before I order anything. There is a "knife skills" class at the local grocery store, and its $90 for the class with a JA henckles 8 in chef knife, $30 without. Just wondering if I can get a comparable knife for less, or if I can get an awesome knife for more (preferably amazon). Not really sure what I'm looking for in a knife.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Henckels and Wusthof and all of them have varying levels of quality with their different lines and it's hard to say whether that'd be a good deal without knowing just which of their chef's knives it is. Personally, I'd strongly prefer to hold a knife before buying it. It should feel really..."right" in your hand. I'd personally always recommend a 10" too just because it makes breaking down big stuff like melons, cabbages, and squash that much easier. One thing you could always do is go to local retailers, ask to hold the different knives, find out which ones you like the feel of best, and then hunt down deals on them online.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-40520-Fibrox-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329192474&sr=8-1 is the best bang for your buck and the usual GWS rec. Great blade, great price, and it'll last if you take care of it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Does anyone have any experience with Rev-A-Shelf? I'm looking at some of their pullout stuff to re-do my kitchen, and while I can make my own pull-outs far cheaper, the stainless look is really really nice.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-40520-Fibrox-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329192474&sr=8-1 is the best bang for your buck and the usual GWS rec. Great blade, great price, and it'll last if you take care of it.

Does anyone else have the 7" Victorinox santuku knife? I do and absolutely love it. I barely ever use the 10" chef's knife that came with the set I have. 10" just seems a bit unwieldy and overkill for most prep stuff.

This has also got me into looking at Chinese-style vegetable cleavers. Anyone have one of these?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zeno-25 posted:

This has also got me into looking at Chinese-style vegetable cleavers. Anyone have one of these?
Yes. I do about 90% of my knife work in the kitchen with a Chinese cleaver; pretty much everything except cutting bread and the occasional task where I want an itty bitty blade for something.

If you're in the market, the CCK #1 small slicer is pretty much the best value in a knife out there, assuming a carbon steel blade isn't going to freak you out. It'll develop patina you use it, so if you need everything looking bright and shiny all the time it's not for you. Here's an old photo of my CCK #1 small slicer, second from the top:

The top cleaver is a CCK kitchen chopper (a heavier, axe-grind cleaver designed for going through light bones), then the #1 small slicer, then a Takeda cleaver, and below that a Tojiro santoku I put in for scale.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

They're always going to discolour, it's not a big deal. That said, I had a cuisinart mcp steel pan that had the base peel away from the rest of the pan, I just use it when I want to throw something in the oven now since the shape of the bottom is so bad.

Yeah I figured that and I know they won't stay "new" forever. I just thought the pictures up on Amazon made the steel appear defective. How did the base peel away?

I decided to go for the stainless steel all-clad pans. I'm just ordering sauce pans and a fry pan because I decided to build my set from CI's ala carte recommendation.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

bunnielab posted:

The gently caress? How is this remotely economical?

Huh, sorry about that. Should have looked at the price before I posted- when I bought one it was about $25.

Not an Anthem posted:

Please explain what the hell you are doing

Making my own laundry detergent

Speaking of, I'd like to recommend making your own dishwasher powder. It works much better than anything I've bought commercially and is significantly cheaper than purchasing the little blister pack things. The only thing that I don't like about it is it leaves a little bit of a film on my Tupperware, although that might be more my crappy dishwasher and less the detergent.

30 Goddamned Dicks fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 14, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Huh, sorry about that. Should have looked at the price before I posted- when I bought one it was about $25.

Making my own laundry detergent

Speaking of, I'd like to recommend making your own dishwasher powder. It works much better than anything I've bought commercially and is significantly cheaper than purchasing the little blister pack things. The only thing that I don't like about it is it leaves a little bit of a film on my Tupperware, although that might be more my crappy dishwasher and less the detergent.

I'm picky about this sort of thing, and I find cascade gel does a great job, as does arm & hammer fragrance free laundry detergent. I've tried tons and tons of brands, but those two I always come back to - they're a bit more expensive, but totally worth it, and I imagine a lot cheaper than trying to make your own. and I'm a DIY kind of guy.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zeno-25 posted:

Does anyone else have the 7" Victorinox santuku knife? I do and absolutely love it. I barely ever use the 10" chef's knife that came with the set I have. 10" just seems a bit unwieldy and overkill for most prep stuff.

This one? I'm heavily considering buying it, I've never owned a proper prep knife and I'm interested in giving the santoku style a try.

Does yours have the granton edge or not? Supposedly it's to help prevent sticking when slicing but the reviews seem to say it doesn't really accomplish much.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

The top cleaver is a CCK kitchen chopper (a heavier, axe-grind cleaver designed for going through light bones), then the #1 small slicer, then a Takeda cleaver, and below that a Tojiro santoku I put in for scale.

Is the the BBQ or Bone chopper on chefknivestogo?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nibble posted:

This one? I'm heavily considering buying it, I've never owned a proper prep knife and I'm interested in giving the santoku style a try.

Does yours have the granton edge or not? Supposedly it's to help prevent sticking when slicing but the reviews seem to say it doesn't really accomplish much.

Yep. It has the granton edge but it's completely useless when cutting anything that's moist, like pretty much any vegetable. Other than that I love it, it seems like just the right size for anything from chopping up a big onion to mincing garlic.

I've had the knife for about a year and it seems like Victorinox knives are quite durable too. More so than my Wusthof Gourmet set, going by how quickly the Wusthof ones get a bit of rust on them and need cleaning with Barkeeper's Friend. Despite not treating it as well as I should, I have never seen any rust develop on my Victorinox.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

.Z. posted:

Is the the BBQ or Bone chopper on chefknivestogo?
No. If you look at the CCK cleaver page (on chanchikee.com) the one I have is the #1 Kitchen Chopper, KF1201. The BBQ Chopper on chefknivestogo.com is the #3, KF1503, and the Bone Chooper is the #2, KF1602.

I got both of those CCK cleavers from a restaurant supply in my neighbourhood Chinatown. I've also got a couple of other CCK knives that chefknivestogo.com carries, the #1 Butcher's Knife, KF2208, and what CCK calls the Large Scraping Knife and chefknivestogo.com calls the L'il Rhino Cleaver, KF2205, both pictured below with a 8" Moritaka gyuto for scale:

The Large Scraping Knife looks like a total gimmick, but it's loving awesome for pull-cutting veg and things like that. The #1 Butcher's Knife is a loving beast, axe ground and thick like a bone-chopping cleaver, but really well balanced for such a large kitchen knife. Both of them kinda look like something you might get from killing an Orc.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

I cook for a living and my go-to knife is the cheapest in my collection is a $17 cleaver. I use it for everything, it gives me much more control than a French knife.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

No. If you look at the CCK cleaver page (on chanchikee.com) the one I have is the #1 Kitchen Chopper, KF1201. The BBQ Chopper on chefknivestogo.com is the #3, KF1503, and the Bone Chooper is the #2, KF1602.

I got both of those CCK cleavers from a restaurant supply in my neighbourhood Chinatown. I've also got a couple of other CCK knives that chefknivestogo.com carries, the #1 Butcher's Knife, KF2208, and what CCK calls the Large Scraping Knife and chefknivestogo.com calls the L'il Rhino Cleaver, KF2205, both pictured below with a 8" Moritaka gyuto for scale:

The Large Scraping Knife looks like a total gimmick, but it's loving awesome for pull-cutting veg and things like that. The #1 Butcher's Knife is a loving beast, axe ground and thick like a bone-chopping cleaver, but really well balanced for such a large kitchen knife. Both of them kinda look like something you might get from killing an Orc.

So which cck is your go to bone chopper?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
So what is the general GWS wisdom as to cook pots and pans? I need to replace my lovely old nonstick crap with a good set of kitchenware, but I really have no idea where to start, or what's good. What are some good places/brands to look at, and what kind of quality can I expect for what sort of money? I need at least 1 or 2 saute pans, probably 2 woks (one big one smaller), and pots of various sizes. Lids I've got.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Funktor posted:

So what is the general GWS wisdom as to cook pots and pans? I need to replace my lovely old nonstick crap with a good set of kitchenware, but I really have no idea where to start, or what's good. What are some good places/brands to look at, and what kind of quality can I expect for what sort of money? I need at least 1 or 2 saute pans, probably 2 woks (one big one smaller), and pots of various sizes. Lids I've got.

How much you looking to spend?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Funktor posted:

Cuisinart chefs choice classic. No contest for solid not too pricey cookware.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

.Z. posted:

So which cck is your go to bone chopper?
The Kitchen Chopper. For no grand philosophical reason other than habit. If I was dealing with primals more than I am I'd probably be reaching for the butcher knife more, but as it is it's mostly for waving around the kitchen making `whoooosh' noises.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

The Kitchen Chopper. For no grand philosophical reason other than habit. If I was dealing with primals more than I am I'd probably be reaching for the butcher knife more, but as it is it's mostly for waving around the kitchen making `whoooosh' noises.

Ah. Are you primarily using the Kitchen chopper? Or do you mainly use the Takeda in the first picture you posted? Wondering because I've been eyeballing some of the higher end cleavers on chefknivestogo for something sharper and with better edge retention than the cck I currently use.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

.Z. posted:

Ah. Are you primarily using the Kitchen chopper? Or do you mainly use the Takeda in the first picture you posted?
The two are for completely different things.

If you're going through bone or, I dunno, doing something like taking the end off a corn cob or something, you want a heavy cleaver. This is what most people think of when you say `cleaver': thick-bladed, probably axe ground, and designed for chopping through tough poo poo. For this kind of thing I mostly use the Kitchen Chopper.

When you talk about `Chinese cleavers' as a genre of kitchen cutlery, you're usually talking about a very narrow-bladed, single or double bevelled cleaver that is more or less comparable in intended use to the classic French chef's knife or gyuto. If I'm doing general knife-type poo poo in the kitchen, I'll reach for one of my Chinese cleavers for this. My favourite is that Takeda cleaver, but I also use my CCKs a lot as well. At this point it's probably mostly down to whichever one is closest to hand. The Takeda is waaaaay better quality than the CCK #1 Small Slicer, but they'll both slice the gently caress out of an onion or whatever. I've been using that goofy-looking curved guy a lot lately whenever I'm doing a lot of slicing veg prep---it's loving gangbusters when you're doing the thing where you're doing pull cuts like a mandoline with your knuckles against the side of the blade.

.Z. posted:

Wondering because I've been eyeballing some of the higher end cleavers on chefknivestogo for something sharper and with better edge retention than the cck I currently use.
`Sharper' is a property of individual knives, not kinds of knives. The CCK Small Slicer (and related slicer-type cleavers) is carbon steel, and so it won't have the edge retention of a cleaver using a higher-end steel. But it will take an edge just as keen as knife made with a more expensive steel, and you can use a more aggressive bevel on a carbon steel knife that you'll want to try on one of the hard but brittle super steels.

As regular practice, I just get in the habit of passing the CCK a couple times over a strop regularly and that keeps it sharper than I really need it for daily home cooking prep work.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I was considering some all-clad pans (2 saucepans and a fry pan) but my parents told me they get discounts at restaurant supply stores. They can hook me up with commercial grade 3-ply stuff (Vollrath) for cheap.

What's the opinion on commercial grade cookware?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Commercial grade stuff is usually pretty awesome, and if you can get it for cheap I don't see why you wouldn't go for it. I got a 16 qt. commercial stainless steel stockpot recently that I absolutely adore.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Doh004 posted:

How much you looking to spend?

I'm just not sure. Let's call it a very flexible $300. I'm interested to see what can be gotten for various price ranges and what's the advantage of spending more.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Funktor posted:

I'm just not sure. Let's call it a very flexible $300. I'm interested to see what can be gotten for various price ranges and what's the advantage of spending more.

I've worked in a lot of professional kitchens, am the type to spend money out my rear end on cookware, and seriously the (relatively cheap) Cuisinart chef choice stainless poo poo is perfect, unless you're going to spend godawful amounts of money on copper stuff. get a complete set on sale for like $150, spend a little money on a good nonstick pan for eggs, and maybe an anodized pan because they're alright too - come in under budget and retire happy. I'd throw all your old lids and stuff away if it were me.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Funktor posted:

mindphlux posted:

I've worked in a lot of professional kitchens, am the type to spend money out my rear end on cookware, and seriously the (relatively cheap) Cuisinart chef choice stainless poo poo is perfect, unless you're going to spend godawful amounts of money on copper stuff. get a complete set on sale for like $150, spend a little money on a good nonstick pan for eggs, and maybe an anodized pan because they're alright too - come in under budget and retire happy. I'd throw all your old lids and stuff away if it were me.

I just bought these as per the suggestions from this thread. They arrived today and holy poo poo!

:woop:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 17, 2012

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Nice! Despite what it says, I wouldn't put them in the dishwasher. I haven't personally done it, but I read it's too harsh.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Nice! What should I aim for as far as woks? Those are an essential part of my kitchen but right now I just have a pair of lovely nonstick ones.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Funktor posted:

Nice! What should I aim for as far as woks? Those are an essential part of my kitchen but right now I just have a pair of lovely nonstick ones.

Go for cheap hammered or pressed steel. Nonstick or cast iron just doesn't work well for woks.

I paid less than $10 for mine and it's brilliant.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Go for cheap hammered or pressed steel. Nonstick or cast iron just doesn't work well for woks.
There's nothing wrong with cast iron woks. The Chinese have been using them for hundreds of years. You do want to avoid cast iron woks that are built like cast iron skillets (like the ones Lodge sells); a proper cast iron wok is built very much like a carbon steel wok---thin and light. A cast iron wok will be somewhat less responsive to heating changes, but they'll tend to take seasoning better than carbon steel, which can be nice if you're doing steaming or anything else in your wok that can normally put the hurt on the seasoning.

If you have a local Chinatown, a good cast iron wok will run you about the same or a little cheaper than a good carbon steel wok, which is to say somewhere south of US$20.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

geetee posted:

Nice! Despite what it says, I wouldn't put them in the dishwasher. I haven't personally done it, but I read it's too harsh.

Oh without a doubt. These won't be going in a dishwasher any time soon.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Funktor posted:

I've heard wokshop.com is good and inexpensive. You'll probably have to relearn how to properly cook in one though. Nonstick just makes zero sense for traditional wok cooking methods.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

geetee posted:

I have had no issues with using a dishwasher on mine. They've been through the dishwasher 1000+ times by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Maybe this is more of a style question, but I've moved into a new apartment and it doesn't have a pantry, just a fair number of cabinets. I'm looking for a free standing place to store dry goods, tea, fresh fruit, a blender, and maybe my more often used pan and a kettle. Could I make something like this look decent http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6060-322-Supreme-4-Tier-Shelving/dp/B0007MHD1K/ref=pd_sim_hg_2 It will be next to a fridge with a brushed metal look.

• Locked thread