Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Teddybear posted:

So far I've only heard back from Georgetown, who waitlisted me-- again, better than I expected. Still waiting on NYU, Chicago, Columbia, BC, BU, UWashington in Seattle, and UC Hastings. (The last two are shots in the dark; if I get rejected from the other schools and get accepted with good scholarships to either of those, they'd be in strong consideration. Otherwise, I'm not bothered.)

Do you have ties to Seattle or was that one of those "this school sounds cool and is a T1 so go for it" decisions?

I really don't know how well they do. I should given it's my UG. I'll talk to some people about it if/when you get in and help you assess the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

sigmachiev posted:

Do you have ties to Seattle or was that one of those "this school sounds cool and is a T1 so go for it" decisions?

I really don't know how well they do. I should given it's my UG. I'll talk to some people about it if/when you get in and help you assess the situation.

It's more that I've studied Seattle for a law and the city course in the past and have got a bit of a crush on the city as a result. (It's also a little of the latter, too.)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NJ Deac posted:

Job alert:
In addition to the EE/CS patent prosecution position I've previously mentioned, my firm just put up a listing for a chemical patent prosecution position and a patent litigation position. Both positions require at least a year or two of experience and preferably USPTO registration.

The firm is an IP boutique in the greater NYC metro area. They don't quite pay NYC market but they're in the ballpark, and the billable requirement is only 1850/year. If you're interested, post your e-mail or send me a pm and I'll provide specifics.

I just had an interview in video game law or something apparently today but send me info again via pm unless you're still in the middle of nowhere in new jersey still

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Teddybear, take a year off. I'm not kidding.

Will a certain Yale 2L back me up on this?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sulecrist posted:

Teddybear, take a year off. I'm not kidding.

Will a certain Yale 2L back me up on this?

Also considering this. If I don't get solid offers, I'll take a year, get some work, and look into options again. I've not committed to anything yet, but we'll see.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I just had an interview in video game law or something apparently today but send me info again via pm unless you're still in the middle of nowhere in new jersey still

Still in the suburbs 30 minutes outside of the city, sorry. We just made a job offer to a patent examiner though so if he ends up accepting you could hang out with your own kind.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Also considering this. If I don't get solid offers, I'll take a year, get some work, and look into options again. I've not committed to anything yet, but we'll see.

My considered opinion is that anyone who goes straight through from UG will likely regret it later. You can always defer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sigmachiev posted:

My understanding is that it is strong is Seattle but no where else. However, if you're from outside of Seattle and go to UW, you'll still be an outsider.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Teddybear posted:

Take a loving year off.

I went straight through - I graduated summa from an Ivy ugrad and my choices were "go back to the bumblefuck South and try to find work" or "go to Yale Law School" - and I regret it. Law school, even the wishy-washy pussy law school experience that Yale passes off as an education, will erode your sense of self and self-worth based upon their norms of what the Great White Hope of American Law looks like. It goes without saying that this may have nothing to do with you or what you want, and you will find yourself trapped in an endless cycle of things you "have to do" for goals you feel you should want but only contribute to the endless void where your self used to be.

Go to law school if and only if you know why you're going and who you are when you're going in to a degree that you will not lose sight of the beginning or the end, because it's Gene Hunt's World in there and you're just living in it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
cry me a river you loving yalie

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Soothing Vapors posted:

(go die.)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

(go die.)

anyway teddybear the point is even if you should go (you shouldn't) you should take a break first (please).

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 15, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Warszawa posted:

(go die.)

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
You should try transferring to Harvard. I hear it is better. Also, not in CT.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Taking a year off was the best thing I ever did. Not only did I recharge by studying batteries, but I also learned how to work an 8 hour day AND my poo poo job gave me more motivation to not work in a pizzeria the rest of my life than anything.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

He does make a great point though.

<----- See also K.N. Llewellyn, The Bramble Bush (1930)(comparing the removal of one's eyes and their replacement to the indoctrination that occurs during 1L).

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 15, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ersatz posted:

It is true, but drat. I should have taken a year or two. I wish I could have had a year or so of non-serious/career jobs.
But no, now I have to be a lawyer.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I took two years and it was great. Hung out with homies and worked a couple gigs. One of those gigs looks really good on the resume and was a big talking point during job interviews.

I'm not sure if this tidbit is in the OP but it should be. I think there's consensus that waiting is good for a lot of reasons.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Stop posted:

I see. Well if you do wind up going to NYU, it has a very strong PI community outside of the Root Program as well. The LRAP program is great as well, salary up to 80k covered and the excess handled incrementally. The NYU OUTLAW, a LGBTQ and ally group is pretty prominent as well. If you have any questions about NYU or its PI community, let me know.

Similarly, if you want to discuss GULC and its PI community, send me a PM. We also have good LRAP (I think covered to 75k and incremental thereafter, I forget the exact breakpoint) and for the obvious DC reason a lot of links into the PI community.

(Also, I agree with everyone else - take a year or two to do something else before law school. Straight throughs were absolutely terrible people who no one liked until at least 2L when they figured out a little more about being a human being. Go do something else, then if you're still interested in law school, go as the class of 2016 or whatever it'll be.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Kalman posted:

(Also, I agree with everyone else - take a year or two to do something else before law school. Straight throughs were absolutely terrible people who no one liked until at least 2L when they figured out a little more about being a human being. Go do something else, then if you're still interested in law school, go as the class of 2016 or whatever it'll be.)
Hey people liked me, I just hated myself.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Have you considered going straight from undergrad and doing a combined JD/MBA program?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Have you considered going straight from undergrad and doing a combined JD/MBA program?

Even worse.
Going straight into an MBA program is considered a pretty big faux pas.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

nm posted:

Even worse.
Going straight into an MBA program is considered a pretty big faux pas.

Also JD/MBAs here have a pretty great reputation for being not so pretty great people

Except Jesse, Jesse you're cool by me

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NJ Deac posted:

Still in the suburbs 30 minutes outside of the city, sorry. We just made a job offer to a patent examiner though so if he ends up accepting you could hang out with your own kind.

At least subway-accessible?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Warszawa posted:

Take a loving year off.

I went straight through - I graduated summa from an Ivy ugrad and my choices were "go back to the bumblefuck South and try to find work" or "go to Yale Law School" - and I regret it. Law school, even the wishy-washy pussy law school experience that Yale passes off as an education, will erode your sense of self and self-worth based upon their norms of what the Great White Hope of American Law looks like. It goes without saying that this may have nothing to do with you or what you want, and you will find yourself trapped in an endless cycle of things you "have to do" for goals you feel you should want but only contribute to the endless void where your self used to be.

Go to law school if and only if you know why you're going and who you are when you're going in to a degree that you will not lose sight of the beginning or the end, because it's Gene Hunt's World in there and you're just living in it.

There's a new thread title in here, I just know it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you still send thank you emails after an interview, or letters, or what?

Difficulty: lateral

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Send hand-calligraphed thank-you notes written by lawgoons you pay $5 per note.

Zaleov
Dec 11, 2005

NAM OT NWONK AIXELSYD LABREV FO ESAC EREVES TSOM EHT EVAH UOY
As a person in the middle of their year off (going to be a 1L in September, woo), I agree with the above posters. Take a year off. It has definitely helped my recharge my studying/class taking muscles and prepared me for more school. I would have hated going straight through to law school.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

MoFauxHawk posted:

Send hand-calligraphed thank-you notes written by lawgoons you pay $5 per note.

I know the person that posted this on facebook!!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Zaleov posted:

As a person in the middle of their year off (going to be a 1L in September, woo), I agree with the above posters. Take a year off. It has definitely helped my recharge my studying/class taking muscles and prepared me for more school. I would have hated going straight through to law school.

I actually didn't mind going straight through for 1L year, though a lot of my K-JD compatriots were still stuck in undergrad mode. However, it's hit me like a ton of bricks this term and I haven't done anything even though I'm probably taking the easiest class load of any 2L at the school.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I know the person that posted this on facebook!!

Tell her her fellow ATL pseudonym buddy says hi!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Um you really don't need to post that in this thread anymore, although I do think it should be your avatar.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Warszawa posted:

it's Gene Hunt's World in there and you're just living in it.

Truer words never spoken or put to page.

PS don't take the elevator.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Omerta posted:

I actually didn't mind going straight through for 1L year, though a lot of my K-JD compatriots were still stuck in undergrad mode. However, it's hit me like a ton of bricks this term and I haven't done anything even though I'm probably taking the easiest class load of any 2L at the school.

This, pretty much, although I'm not even technically K-JD. I took a year off after high school to work full time, and I still wish I'd taken a year or two or five after undergrad. Law school will probably still be there in a few years, unless the inevitable collapse of the country happens before then in which case being a lawyer won't help much, except to maybe make you a readier target for the cannibals.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I've been told that it's not necessary, at least for the places that I've interviewed at.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Ersatz posted:

<----- See also K.N. Llewellyn, The Bramble Bush (1930)(comparing the removal of one's eyes and their replacement to the indoctrination that occurs during 1L).

You're missing a space between the parentheticals...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ersatz posted:

he sickens me. SICKENS

entris posted:

Um you really don't need to post that in this thread anymore

I emphatically disagree

yadayadayada posted:

This right here, 0Ls

This is what we become

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

yadayadayada posted:

Wait, what? You never put a space between the parenthetical with a date and an explanatory parenthetical.

...do you?

I want a bluebook cite. :colbert:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

entris posted:

Wait, what? You never put a space between the parenthetical with a date and an explanatory parenthetical.

...do you?

I want a bluebook cite. :colbert:

1.5(a)(i)

Look at this scrub not memorizin his blue book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soothing Vapors posted:

1.5(a)(i)

Look at this scrub not memorizin his blue book

Maaaaan get the gently caress out of here. The rule says nothing about whether or not a space is required. Sure, the examples appear to include a space, but the examples do not carry the same weight as the written rules - if something isn't mentioned in the rule, then the example's treatment of that issue is non-binding.

:colbert:

I had to go hunt down someone in my firm who still owns a bluebook so that I could look up 1.5(a)(i).

Ugh.

edit: Additionally, it is my position that a space between parentheticals is a violation of the natural law concerning parentheticals. Parenthetical phrases can be omitted or removed from the sentence without impacting the grammar of the sentence. Both the parentheses and the material contained therein do not impact the grammar of the sentence, and are not impacted by that grammar. In short, a parenthetical phrase is grammatical dark matter. But if you include a space between two parentheticals, you have now added an unnecessary space to the sentence. If you were to remove the parentheticals, you would have a glaring empty space for no reason at all, and this violates the natural rules concerning the usage of parentheses.

So, to the extent that the Bluebook examples include a space between parentheticals (and I'm not entirely convinced that they do, because I've never seen the field codes), the examples are wrong.

:c00lbert:

entris fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 15, 2012