Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

I guess having the real deal built-in to the tablet is cool, but couldn't something like a bluetooth stylus be made to communicate pressure information back to the tablet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

Oh boy.

Manufacturers making more androids with a stylus just doesn't seem like a good trend.

If a majority of androids start coming with a stylus then I doubt any of the companies that make android devices will have enough sense to keep from designing UI elements around having a stylus.

I think that they're smart enough to realize people only want to use a stylus for specific things that require precision. Designing a stylus-based UI would basically be a death sentence, nobody would ever buy it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I think that they're smart enough to realize people only want to use a stylus for specific things that require precision. Designing a stylus-based UI would basically be a death sentence, nobody would ever buy it.

Yeah, that poo poo killed the Game Boy. ;)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

This is Samsung we are talking about. The trend is scary. Styli are pretty much unneeded outside of design (and that is assuming people in that field like them).

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

How about windows mobile.

Remember windows mobile? Where every menu, button, and item was so small that it required a stylus to tap it? Even the native keyboard required a stylus.

It was pretty bad.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

This is Samsung we are talking about. The trend is scary. Styli are pretty much unneeded outside of design (and that is assuming people in that field like them).

I don't think it's scary. People like taking notes on tablets/large-screened phones. The best way to do that is with a stylus, by far.

Look at how many people buy styli for their tablets to take notes on - it's definitely not just people in the design field that would use a stylus.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I don't think it's scary. People like taking notes on tablets/large-screened phones. The best way to do that is with a stylus, by far.

Look at how many people buy styli for their tablets to take notes on - it's definitely not just people in the design field that would use a stylus.

I've seen plenty of college kids use tablets for notes, and none of them have a stylus.

I'm thinking your over estimating the popularity of capacitive styluses.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I to hate when manufacturers give me more options. So irritating, especially if it isn't useful to me!!!

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

I've seen plenty of college kids use tablets for notes, and none of them have a stylus.

I'm thinking your over estimating the popularity of capacitive styluses.

I have a stylus, but I don't use it because it's not precise like the s-pen and whatever the HTC flyer stylus is. I know many people that don't use styli for the same reason, but they certainly would if there were better options out there.

I don't see the big deal, you don't HAVE to use a stylus if you don't want to, but it's pretty close-minded to think that there aren't a lot of people who would use one if it was as accurate and natural as a pen.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

How about windows mobile.

Remember windows mobile? Where every menu, button, and item was so small that it required a stylus to tap it? Even the native keyboard required a stylus.

It was pretty bad.

Windows Mobile had a few other issues.

You also may have worse sausage fingers than I do, and AI goons will confirm that coming from me that really means something.

My Linux Rig posted:

I'm thinking you're over estimating the popularity of capacitive styluses.

:stare:

Well, that's scientific.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A man named Steven P. Jobs once said, "If you have a stylus, you've already lost." What did he know (aside from exactly what consumers would want and how to leverage that into creating the most valuable company on the goddamn planet)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Codiusprime posted:

I to hate when manufacturers give me more options. So irritating, especially if it isn't useful to me!!!

The option is fine, for those who can make use for it, great. Its making it the prime feature and selling point that gets embarrassing.

Example 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgfknZidYq0

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

LastInLine posted:

A man named Steven P. Jobs once said, "If you have a stylus, you've already lost." What did he know (aside from exactly what consumers would want and how to leverage that into creating the most valuable company on the goddamn planet)?

Yeah, he was talking about stylus-based UIs. I 100% agree with that, nobody wants to revert back to winmo days where you had to use the stylus for everything.

This is NOT what's going on here. What's going on is a stylus specifically for precise input - such as taking (clean, easy to write) notes or sketching. It won't be a requirement to use the stylus obviously, so there's really no reason for anyone to give a poo poo.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

The option is fine, for those who can make use for it, great. Its making it the prime feature and selling point that gets embarrassing.

Example 1:

I cannot argue with this, what an awful awful ad. Android manufacturers have to be some of the worst at making ads. Holy poo poo.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Example 1:

I can't access YT at work but I'm assuming it's the ridiculous Galaxy Note commercial from the superbowl.

The reason it's a prime feature and selling point is because it allows them to differentiate their product from others on the market. I don't see how a unique feature being specifically marketed is "embarrassing".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

To be fair, the technology of the time kind of required it. Screens were pretty small and low-res, and capacitative touchscreens weren't a thing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

What's going on is a stylus specifically for precise input - such as taking (clean, easy to write) notes or sketching. It won't be a requirement to use the stylus obviously, so there's really no reason for anyone to give a poo poo.

Options are loving awesome. :hfive:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I was talking about making a bluetooth stylus earlier and it turns out they already exist!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonatherton/jaja-worlds-first-pressure-sensitive-stylus-for-ip

Really no reason to have this as a feature of the device when a pen like this should work for most tablets.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I was talking about making a bluetooth stylus earlier and it turns out they already exist!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonatherton/jaja-worlds-first-pressure-sensitive-stylus-for-ip

Really no reason to have this as a feature of the device when a pen like this should work for most tablets.

That's the style with the delicate goofy circle on the tip. I wonder how you store it?

e: oh, just a big cap. That thing's huge.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

That's the style with the delicate goofy circle on the tip. I wonder how you store it?

The digitizer allows the tablet to receive information beyond position. The stylus is capable of capturing that information and transmitting it to the tablet via bluetooth.

Why did Samsung make an otherwise identical tablet when they could have made a pen that will work on current and future devices? If the current ones are lovely then all the more reason to make a better one.

I'd probably store the stylus in the same place I store my tablet.

e: I guess they've been trying
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/28/galaxy-tab-bluetooth-stylus-emerges-up-for-49-99-pre-order/

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 15, 2012

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

Windows Mobile had a few other issues.

You also may have worse sausage fingers than I do, and AI goons will confirm that coming from me that really means something.

One of the outstanding issues being that the platform couldn't escape the stylus driven ui design.

Also, yeah, I totally have sausage fingers. This is why I find a keyboard like this

Totally unusable.

If only my fingers were just a few centimeters wide, then I wouldn't have any problems at all!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

This is turning into a ridiculous derail.

Nobody is arguing that a stylus-oriented design is good, so don't waste your time arguing that it isn't.

Samsung has done some incredibly stupid things, but I doubt they're so stupid that they would create a UI with a stylus-oriented design.

Styluses (real digitizer styluses) are useless for some people and incredibly useful for other people. Coincidentally, it seems like some Android devices are going to be manufactured with stylus digitizers, and others aren't. If you don't want a digitizer stylus, don't buy a device with one.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

One of the outstanding issues being that the platform couldn't escape the stylus driven ui design.

Also, yeah, I totally have sausage fingers. This is why I find a keyboard like this

Totally unusable.

If only my fingers were just a few centimeters wide, then I wouldn't have any problems at all!

As mentioned before that UI was stylus-driven because it HAD to be. Capacitive touchescreen technology like we use now wasn't available at that time for smartphones so resistive screens had to be use. Thus the need for a stylus.

Since these stylus devices still use a capacitive screen there is no reason whatsoever to revert back to a stylus-based UI and any manufacturer dumb enough to do that would quickly realize their errors when nobody buys their devices.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

My bad, I was thinking about later phones like the Kaiser. The sausage finger shot was unwarranted.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Looks like I got that quote wrong, though no point editing it since the real lines are too unwieldy for the link.

quote:

Making it the prime feature/selling point is the right thing to do if you're going to make a niche product. The terrible advert which does nothing to outline the benefits or address preconceptions of it being the same as old stylus devices; not so much.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why did Samsung make an otherwise identical tablet when they could have made a pen that will work on current and future devices? If the current ones are lovely then all the more reason to make a better one.

One reason is that Dual digitizer (capacitive + active) screens with built in palm rejection are a much more established technology (your link is a Kickstarter project with a recently ended funding period). Another issue with going the wireless route is the added latency, since a close to 1:1 mapping is tough to get right even when you have the technology built into the screen. Even a little extra lag combined with the feeling with pen on glass can make the whole thing feel "off".

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I thought the S-pen was a wacom stylus with pressure sensitivity?

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Back on topic, apparently my Prime seems to be completely fine in regards to WiFi signal. Here's a signal test. My network is the red one. I'm getting the same results on my HTC Desire, which would indicate that any signal problems would rather have to do with having a lovely wireless router:

http://s2.i1.picplzthumbs.com/upload/img/6c/56/c1/6c56c1fae622701de6d92a77af97392122daf1e7_wmeg.jpg

Signal is 60db. There is only a room between this room and my bedroom, where the router is located. I'll probably end up installing an ad-hoc point, because I'm not enjoying the full potential of my cable connection over WiFi. Haven't tried GPS yet because it's not such an essential feature, but oh well.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Vaporware posted:

I thought the S-pen was a wacom stylus with pressure sensitivity?

Its the screen which has the pressure sensitivity, you just need a compatible pen. Any Wacom stylus for dual-digitizer PC's would work with the Note.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

clockworx posted:

Crackbone posted:

Thanks guys so much, appreciate the help.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Those with the Iconia A500, and A100 will have to wait til Mid April for official ICS:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/02/15/acer-american-announces-android-4-0-update-for-a500-and-a100-coming-in-mid-april/

Though there is already an ICS rom for the A500

http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=106

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
edit: nevermind

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what the RMA stauts "Waiting-[WB5] Wait for Repair\Test\Aging" means?

It was on "Repairing" yesterday. I understand what Test could mean, but Aging I have no clue.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Whatever was growing in your tablet takes time to die, even in a vacuum. Or maybe they're trying to harden the outer crust by hanging it from the rafters of a root cellar.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Does anyone know what the RMA stauts "Waiting-[WB5] Wait for Repair\Test\Aging" means?

It was on "Repairing" yesterday. I understand what Test could mean, but Aging I have no clue.

They're aging it to see if the holes form again, your tablet was infected with swiss cheese bacteria.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

They've got to burn it in. Better sound quality and all that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

E2M2 posted:

Those with the Iconia A500, and A100 will have to wait til Mid April for official ICS:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/02/15/acer-american-announces-android-4-0-update-for-a500-and-a100-coming-in-mid-april/

Though there is already an ICS rom for the A500

http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=106

I had that rom for a few days before selling my A500, if you don't need the camera's it's real good. Didn't have any crashes or slowdown (opening the camera's just gives you a "no camera found" prompt, doesn't crash or lock up or anything).

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Vagrancy posted:

Its the screen which has the pressure sensitivity, you just need a compatible pen. Any Wacom stylus for dual-digitizer PC's would work with the Note.

Wacom pens for Wacom digitizers, N-Trig syluses for N-Trig digitizers, etc. You can't mix and match because they use different technologies. Not sure why, but the N-Trig stylus needs batteries and the Wacoms don't even though there is at least some minimal logic inside it.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
The only thing keeping me from going completely digital with notes at school is the fact that I don't have a good stylus to use. Capacitive with the fat bubble on end blows so much. Super low precision.

If that Samsung tablet comes out and weighs little / has a stylus, I'm so getting it.

Hell, if the iPad 3 came out with a digitizer stylus I'd get that and I really don't like Apple so that's saying something. Not attempting a derail, just saying, to me a stylus would make or break my next tablet purchase. That's all.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I don't see how a unique feature being specifically marketed is "embarrassing".

It wouldn't have been if the advertisement actually showed the stylus being used in an interesting way, instead of "look you can circle poo poo on a map and get a signature from a B-list musician everyone forgot about 3 years ago".

That's all. There's plenty of cool things you can do with a stylus, and Samsung neglected to show any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

The DS came out before the iPhone popularized touch screens and gestures. A stylus is an increasingly niche input method these days.