Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Voting A. Solaris can wait (FOREVER!)

I want to see these Draconis Suns do their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Honestly, Poptarts, you should just run both A and E scenarios right after one another since both options are incredibly popular. ( Doing both at once would probably be a massive headache and ticket to burnout)

You would have a larger pilot pool to draw from, and that would mean you could try to match players of more equal skill in the Solaris/PVP mission so that it's not an unfun curbstomp for one side.

Sure, it would break the 'One mission, then plot update' stride of the thread, but each scenario has what, 50 or more votes each? There are a lot of people interested, and I personally can't decide which I want to see more of because they both have hilarious potential.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 15, 2012

Hurriness
Feb 23, 2011
College Slice
E

Time for some Solaris.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TheParadigm posted:

Honestly, Poptarts, you should just run both A and E scenarios right after one another since both options are incredibly popular. ( Doing both at once would probably be a massive headache and ticket to burnout)

You would have a larger pilot pool to draw from, and that would mean you could try to match players of more equal skill in the Solaris/PVP mission so that it's not an unfun curbstomp for one side.

Sure, it would break the 'One mission, then plot update' stride of the thread, but each scenario has what, 50 or more votes each? There are a lot of people interested, and I personally can't decide which I want to see more of because they both have hilarious potential.

Pretty sure we hit our "okay, you can have both missions" limit last vote.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, we shouldn't make a habit of it. I lobbied for the dual mission spread because the path not taken, Luthien, was important and I didn't want to miss that. I could live without seeing either one of these missions.

If we ever do another double mission, it should only be for ones that are plot critical, and neither of these apply. At least, so I assume.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Besides, who wants to get banned over a temper tantrum about no-name posters this time?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Narsham posted:

Are we looking at a multilevel factory if E wins? What are the oddsmakers offering for bets on whether any mechs will be shoved over railings?

Also, is OSHA compliance lostech?

Yes, odds will be a factor, yes.

TheParadigm posted:

Honestly, Poptarts, you should just run both A and E scenarios right after one another since both options are incredibly popular.

Both options also have unique mechanics. That makes me disinclined to do this since there's a good chance at least one of them is going to turn up on the next vote.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jng2058 posted:

If we ever do another double mission, it should only be for ones that are plot critical, and neither of these apply. At least, so I assume.

Deep in the New Rim Worlds Republic, an ancient power emerges. Unearthed from the bowels of a forgotten world, a band of explorers stumble upon a cache of weapons and technology bearing markings suspiciously similar to those of one of the lost armies of the old SLDF. While of obvious Star League-level manufacture, not quite reaching the level of power rumored among the mysterious "Clans," these weapons still prove superior to anything in ComStar's vaunted stores.

Two months later, Capellan intelligence from the field indicates that a large portion of NRWR forces are armed with Spheroid-system-compatible high-efficiency extended-range particle cannons with a power output exceeding the Star League model by twenty percent. These revolutionary weapons are deployed in abundance across the New Rim Worlds Republic, implying production levels well above those expected of a mere Periphery state. The Maskirovka launches an unprecedented espionage operation into the NRWR with the intent of stealing the secret of these new "IS Enhanced ER PPCs."

It would be a further half a year before any word of the NRWR's new weapons program reaches the Clan invasion front.

All joking aside, an NRWR scenario would be a great excuse to deploy a Rampage. Which I've had a hankering to have a go at drawing, honestly.

Runa fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 15, 2012

Abhartach
Jan 22, 2010
Throwing my hat in the ring for E.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

T.G. Xarbala posted:

All joking aside, an NRWR scenario would be a great excuse to deploy a Rampage. Which I've had a hankering to have a go at drawing, honestly.

Don't let that stop you, you know all of us love your artwork. :allears:
Although, I do have certain gripes.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Both options also have unique mechanics. That makes me disinclined to do this since there's a good chance at least one of them is going to turn up on the next vote.

Fair enough.

Voting E

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

E!

LifeisFleeting
May 10, 2008
E

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Defiance Industries posted:

Besides, who wants to get banned over a temper tantrum about no-name posters this time?

I guess I could give it a shot?

*ahem*
You guuuuuuuuys stop voting for things other than what I waaaaant. It's really unfair of you lurkers to vote because you don't meet some arbitrary standard I just pulled out of my morbidly obese rear end. If you don't stop right now I'm going to throw a huge hissy fit and get probated by slowbeef, and then I'll alienate a lot of good posters over a bunch of petty bullshit. :qq:

How'd I do? Everyone feel like they're getting the full SD experience?

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Delurking to vote A.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

1 out of 5 Chernobyls. Pale imitation of a full strength meltdown.

Adam500
Mar 27, 2010
Piping in to vote A. Solaris can wait for the finals.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

paragon1 posted:

I guess I could give it a shot?

*ahem*
You guuuuuuuuys stop voting for things other than what I waaaaant. It's really unfair of you lurkers to vote because you don't meet some arbitrary standard I just pulled out of my morbidly obese rear end. If you don't stop right now I'm going to throw a huge hissy fit and get probated by slowbeef, and then I'll alienate a lot of good posters over a bunch of petty bullshit. :qq:

How'd I do? Everyone feel like they're getting the full SD experience?

And there's nothing less petty than talking about someone behind their back, right guys?

Seriously, SD shouldn't be proud of his actions but this sort of stuff isn't entertaining or called for. It just makes you look like a jackass.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Son Ryo posted:

And there's nothing less petty than talking about someone behind their back, right guys?

Seriously, SD shouldn't be proud of his actions but this sort of stuff isn't entertaining or called for. It just makes you look like a jackass.

Its not like were talking behind his back SD is most likely still reading the thread throwing little hissy fits every time someone says something his dislikes i.e every single post.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Rumda posted:

Its not like were talking behind his back SD is most likely still reading the thread throwing little hissy fits every time someone says something his dislikes i.e every single post.

That's even worse, so stop it already.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mocking bad posters is an SA tradition.

Africanus
Mar 13, 2007
The Barcid Slayer
Voting E and looking forward to ridiculous Duncan Fisher style commentary.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Voting A.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Voting A. More people get to pilot, plus we see a true heavyweight IS battle between not-cruddy regiments.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Captain Foo posted:

Mocking bad posters is an SA tradition.

Let's Play is not Helldump, let's move on.

I don't actually know how Solaris tournaments work, should we expect teams? A free-for-all? Lots of mechs, or only a few? And what about the factory itself - I get that it's within Marik territory, but is there any quirk we should know about it? I rather liked the hint of a "Marik twist".

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Voting E, for it is game time, and I am a Solaris fan.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Dolash posted:

Let's Play is not Helldump, let's move on.

I don't actually know how Solaris tournaments work, should we expect teams? A free-for-all? Lots of mechs, or only a few? And what about the factory itself - I get that it's within Marik territory, but is there any quirk we should know about it? I rather liked the hint of a "Marik twist".

I bet we get told to throw the fight.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dolash posted:

The answer is 'yes'. Solaris tourneys have a lot of different configurations - the most famous ones are free-for-alls, but there are plenty of team matches as well. Heck, as you go on there's even other classes, like battle armor matches!

As for the Factory? It's an abandoned industrial complex refitted into an arena. It's simulated urban combat in a blasted industrial hellscape full of debris and junk. It's hell on sensors (EM is notably useless, though it's also noisy as hell and the semi-working bits of debris and machinery that get dumped in can cause IR issues as well), footing is inconsistent and engagement ranges tend to be very short because of the mess of wreckage. Downed machines are frequently just left there as 'new obstacles' instead of being cleaned up. Their ammo bins are not always emptied, so there's a line in the sourcebooks mentioning that sometimes these 'new obstacles' explode.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Voting E. It's Solaris time, ladies and gentlemen!

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I'm fine with either scenario winning, I just thought the Solaris match wasn't as interesting.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

BattleMaster posted:

The Free Worlds League leaves health and safety up to free market forces.

Is the FWL the Battletech version of a Libertarian Paradise or are you being silly? I'm still pretty hazy on a lot of the lore/fluff.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chance II posted:

I'm fine with either scenario winning, I just thought the Solaris match wasn't as interesting.

PTN could make a scenario where a lance of Urbanmechs are on anti-graffiti patrol interesting.

Or on a building repainting mission, for that matter. The guy can make watching paint dry suspenseful, is what I'm saying.

Despite having voted for A, I'm deeply intrigued at the thought of seeing Battletech played Roborally-style.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Oh I agree that PTN's writing would be interesting regardless of scenario, I'm not arguing that. I'm sure the Solaris fight will be interesting too but I'm not desperate to see it and I'm don't have any previous dislike of the Federated Suns/Draconis Combine from the books or games to put me off seeing more of recent interesting developments.

In a perfect world, we would have updates everyday and get to experience all the scenarios. I still don't really know anything about the rim worlds, and all I know about the Cappellans are that they are mean space Chinese and Zaodai loves them.

Edit:

And a lance of Ubanmechs on cleaning up gang tags sounds like it could make a wonderful short story.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Trast posted:

Is the FWL the Battletech version of a Libertarian Paradise or are you being silly? I'm still pretty hazy on a lot of the lore/fluff.

They pretty much are. For instance, the government doesn't involve themselves in education except for setting up a minimum curriculum - every single school in the FWL is private. The government doesn't inspect merchant ships very often, but they also won't be likely to respond to distress calls. Stuff like that.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Chance II posted:

Oh I agree that PTN's writing would be interesting regardless of scenario, I'm not arguing that. I'm sure the Solaris fight will be interesting too but I'm not desperate to see it and I'm don't have any previous dislike of the Federated Suns/Draconis Combine from the books or games to put me off seeing more of recent interesting developments.

I think it's going to be interesting. Largely because my gut says that it won't be just a Solaris match. You gotta remember, Solaris is a critical border world between Steiner and Marik. However, it's rarely seen proper combat - it's a sort of neutral territory. But it's got huge amounts of industry and material, along with enough faction-affiliated boots on the ground to act as an insurrection force. My expectation is that we're going to have that Solaris match, and it's going to get crashed because Solaris is a huge target full of goodies.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

BattleMaster posted:

They pretty much are. For instance, the government doesn't involve themselves in education except for setting up a minimum curriculum - every single school in the FWL is private. The government doesn't inspect merchant ships very often, but they also won't be likely to respond to distress calls. Stuff like that.

gently caress you, got mine....in space!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's almost as if PTN has plans in place to keep Solaris from being a god-awful slog like everyone in the IRC channel claims it will be! :aaa: who ever could have guessed

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
A for now, Solaris for later.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Chance II posted:

I still don't really know anything about the rim worlds,...

The main thing to know is that the Rim Worlds Republic was that it was the domain of Stefan Amaris, the main reason the Cameron era Star League dissolved into chaos. However, this time the SLDF wasn't able to conquer Terra, only kill Amaris. I find the history interesting, but considering this is an AU, I would take it with a grain of salt.

It would do you well to read up on a few key things on Sarna:
Stefan Amaris
RWR
Amaris Coup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The fact the new RWR arose on the Marik border, not on the Steiner worlds that used to make up the RWR, means that where Kerensky failed, the LCAF succeeded.

SUCK IT KERENSKY.

• Locked thread