Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Giedroyc posted:

I'm convinced that the Channel 4 programming commissioner for the last 5 years has been a record on loop saying "More Come dine with me".

"We need to fill channel 4 and more 4 without clashes? More coach trip"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Padje posted:

I like the idea of tackling size-based bullying, although I question their choice of presenter in Gok Wan, a man who used to be quite fat, but decided against embracing it, and is often quoted on chat shows saying how great it is that he lost weight - although in putting an end to the torment he took up a diet regime that turned him anorexic. He spends his usual TV time coaxing women into taking off their clothes, often while they cry and tell him no, offering assurances that they've 'come this far' and saying yes is the 'brave' thing to do, not unlike a pushy boyfriend looking to take someone's virginity - then strategically placing their bodies to hide any fat parts anyway. Then the show blames anorexia on the internet wholesale, rather than offering a range of factors, some of which are a lot closer to home than the financiers might want you to contemplate. In this exact time slot only a few years ago, Channel 4 was serving up the double helping of body-modification show 10 Years Younger, and crash diet mania You Are What You Eat.

Agreed pretty much.
His catch all solution to low self esteem and a whole range of issues is mindless consumerism - buy lots of expensive clothes. Which isnt a message I can get behind.
So this programme's a mixed bag.

Never watched HTLGN though.

Giedroyc posted:

I'm convinced that the Channel 4 programming commissioner for the last 5 years has been a record on loop saying "More Come dine with me".
This is a strategy I'd support. As long as it's not the terrible Australian import.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 15, 2012

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Can anyone give me some radio recommendations? I'm a big fan of stuff like The Unbelievable Truth and So Wrong It's Right (and Adam & Joe of course). Preferably comedy but anything entertaining/informative is good too. Bonus for stuff with a back-catalogue on youtube or wherever.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Banter and Heresy are good. Not heard much of the newer series of Heresy, but liked it with Baddiel. Very "Radio 4", not sure if you consider that a good or bad thing. It's dated quite a bit because it was topical, but I still love Armando Iannucci's Charm Offensive.

Are we allowed to discuss ways of downloading stuff that's not commercially available here?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Lots of people who have badly informed opinions about a show that is completely not aimed at their demographic in this thread.

People who hate the way they look and do themselves no favours but literally do not know what to do about it exist. But good job comparing it to rape guys!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Akuma posted:

People who hate the way they look and do themselves no favours but literally do not know what to do about it exist. But good job comparing it to rape guys!

Yes, that's the comparison that was made :rolleyes:

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Captain Mediocre posted:

Can anyone give me some radio recommendations? I'm a big fan of stuff like The Unbelievable Truth and So Wrong It's Right (and Adam & Joe of course). Preferably comedy but anything entertaining/informative is good too. Bonus for stuff with a back-catalogue on youtube or wherever.

That fake call in show. You know, with what's his face in it, they made a TV show about it a year or so ago. What was it called?

DOWN THE LINE! That's it. I think. Anyway, find that, it's top-banana

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Giedroyc posted:

I'd support this. Come dine with me is awesome and has given me more than a few good ideas for what to make for dinner.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Kin posted:

I'd support this. Come dine with me is awesome and has given me more than a few good ideas for what to make for dinner.

I'll happily watch Come dine with me and Masterchef (Normal and Professionals, not the bloody celebs) all day long.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes, that's the comparison that was made :rolleyes:

It really is, though.

Padje posted:

He spends his usual TV time coaxing women into taking off their clothes, often while they cry and tell him no, offering assurances that they've 'come this far' and saying yes is the 'brave' thing to do, not unlike a pushy boyfriend looking to take someone's virginity

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

tentish klown posted:

I'll happily watch Come dine with me and Masterchef (Normal and Professionals, not the bloody celebs) all day long.

I have been unemployed for about 6 months now, and believe me it is possible to have too much come dine with me.
What is the deal with Masterchef this series? There was only one week of getting the contestants and then straight to the real rounds, plus it is only on once or twice a week. I am very disappointed.

I think we can all agree though that if 'Come date with me' never returns, it is a victory.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have an old acquaintance who's wife went on one of the makeover shows. Instead of it bringing her out of her shell, she retreated even more to the point the marriage ended.

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
The emergence of Netflix over here in the UK has allowed me to watch the glorious TV show that is/was 'Cracker', What a fantastic anti-hero Fitz is. Working through series two at the moment and I don't want to stop watching.

They don't make them like they used to. I got perky hearing about a drama being set in my home city of York in Eternal Law, thinking it might bring some publicity to the place, only to watch an episode and find it was absolutely turgid. I haven't watched more in all honesty but a good number of friends who's opinions I trust have mentioned it not being particularly interesting.

What an opportunity missed. It could have done so much for York. I mean, who ever heard of Oxford before Morse?

Testro
May 2, 2009
Come Dine With Me got old when they kept deliberately choosing antagonising guests. It was more fun when you weren't sure if you were going to have a nice, friendly bunch of people, or a horrible group, or one irritating person who caused a scene...whereas now, it seems that there's *always* at least one jerk on it.

They were recruiting for contestants around my way the other month...I am curious as to whether anyone I know will be on it.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Confirming that this happened to me as well.

I have been using the US DNS though, I wonder if that's a contributing factor?

I'm having the same prob, also using US DNS, it was setup with paypal which didn't go through and my mastercard is being refused.
They only have telephone support which goes to a US call centre who are more than useless but overly enthusiastic in that annoying american customer service sort of way.
I think the card transactions are being refused as there is no where to put your address/postcode so it doesn't match up with the banks system.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

the_cow_fan posted:

I'm having the same prob, also using US DNS, it was setup with paypal which didn't go through and my mastercard is being refused.
They only have telephone support which goes to a US call centre who are more than useless but overly enthusiastic in that annoying american customer service sort of way.
I think the card transactions are being refused as there is no where to put your address/postcode so it doesn't match up with the banks system.

I was using the DNS, I cancelled my account, then set it back up and it seemed to have worked.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Even in the regards of "helping people who don't know how to look good but worry about it way too much" , Gok Wan can be pretty drat bad.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 15, 2012

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Rankine Over Gash posted:

The emergence of Netflix over here in the UK has allowed me to watch the glorious TV show that is/was 'Cracker', What a fantastic anti-hero Fitz is. Working through series two at the moment and I don't want to stop watching.

The first two series are classics I can watch time and again, for some reason I just cannot stand the third series and the specials.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Ha, the best bit of political discussion on Channel 4 tonight came from the Random Act after 10 o'Clock Live http://randomacts.channel4.com/#view/194

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I only tuned in for a few minutes, but what was with the entire cast of 10 o Clock Live waxing lyrical about how wonderful The Sun is?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

The Perfect Element posted:

I only tuned in for a few minutes, but what was with the entire cast of 10 o Clock Live waxing lyrical about how wonderful The Sun is?

Nope, Charlie Brooker did a rap about how poo poo they are.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The Perfect Element posted:

They aren't that bad man.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Oh god, did he really?

Oh Charlie.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Hoops posted:

Oh god, did he really?

Oh Charlie.

I've not seen it but I'm picturing something like this only 1000x times more awkward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmZL2_9nvE

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jesus, is this 1987?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Giedroyc posted:

Nah, recently they're just desperately thinking of more places to put fly on the wall cameras. Off the top of my head:

One Born Every Minute (Multiple series)
The Hotel (2 series)
Educating Essex
24 Hours in A&E
The Agency

Sure there's more, but I'm guessing something military or penal next.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
Just a quick question, about what percentage roughly of programming in the UK is American? I am American but I went to university in Canada and I'd say its about 50/50% american canadian there, factoring in what people actually watch its probably 70/30% Channels are required to air a certain amount of canadian programming but its usually at odd hours that people don't watch. I'd assume the ratio would be lower than in Canada but I'm curious. (btw my estimates are not concrete at all I'm basing it on my cable package).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HoldYourFire posted:

It really is, though.

Comparisons based on an aspect of a thing are not like comparing the thing entire and to conflate the two is a mischaracterisation.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Hoops posted:

Oh god, did he really?

Oh Charlie.

It wasn't really rap in the sense that he was trying to sound like some 17 year old kid from Croydon, he was just saying words that rhymed fast, like that old George Carlin opening bit. It was pretty stupid but it wasn't that embarassing imo.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here it is
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/10-oclock-live/video/series-2/episode-2/s2-ep2-which-witch-hunt

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 16, 2012

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Fatty posted:

Nah, recently they're just desperately thinking of more places to put fly on the wall cameras. Off the top of my head:

The Hotel (2 series)
Educating Essex
24 Hours in A&E
The Agency

Coach Trip! Quality programming there. All the fun of being on a really poo poo holiday without leaving your home.

Does Supersize vs Superskinny count? Goddamnit that show loving annoys me. Hey, lets get a comically fat person and a half-dead skinny person and switch their hosed up diets for a week! Haha, look, the skinny person can't eat as much as a fat person, haven't we all learned something important!

Big Fat Gypsy Weddings really doesn't sit right with me either. The first couple were interesting, now it's just 'point and laugh at some pikeys' hour. Although I was so proud to see the camp in my hometown featured as a site for bareknuckle fighting.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Oh Pam Ayres with your rapping and hipping and hopping.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Brown Moses posted:

Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI0BpJ5WQO4

Charlie Brooker's flow is really tight :stare:
Hook him up with a good producer and I'd buy his album.

Lotsatuned
Sep 30, 2008

Quodio Stotes posted:

Just a quick question, about what percentage roughly of programming in the UK is American? I am American but I went to university in Canada and I'd say its about 50/50% american canadian there, factoring in what people actually watch its probably 70/30% Channels are required to air a certain amount of canadian programming but its usually at odd hours that people don't watch. I'd assume the ratio would be lower than in Canada but I'm curious. (btw my estimates are not concrete at all I'm basing it on my cable package).

It'd be hard to estimate with all the channels around, but if you just take the 5 standard channels, BBC1/2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Id' say 90/10 to 95/5 British to American but if you take in the satellite and cable channels, it's maybe 85-15/90-10 British-American, but then I haven't watched every satellite channel out there.

Try having a look on https://www.tvguide.co.uk but keep in mind that there's about another 200+ channels that it doesn't seem to show.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
E4 is almost exclusively American (90210, Greek, Desperate Housewives, Gilmore Girls, Scrubs, Big Bang Theory etc.) Channel 4 used to flagship a LOT of US sitcoms (Friends, etc), as well as shows like Sex & The City and LOST (I think?)

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Oh God Brooker's rap is 'trending' now. Possibly because all the kids were blown away by the sheer genius satire of mentioning Frank Bough and Angus Deayton.

Giedroyc fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 16, 2012

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The ASA is investigating C4 over "bigger, fatter, gypsier" being so blatantly racist.
Good. (Except at most they'll get a slap on the wrist)

quote:

The advertising watchdog has received almost 100 complaints that a Channel 4 ad campaign for hit documentary Big Fat Gypsy Weddings is offensive and racist.

Channel 4's billboard campaign – which feature the words "Bigger. Fatter. Gypsier" printed over images of gypsy girls and children – led to complaints being lodged by the London Gypsy & Traveller Unit and London Assembly members Jennette Arnold and John Biggs.

The Advertising Standards Authority said that it has so far received 97 complaints about the ad campaign, with most concerned that it is offensive to Gypsies. Some of the complainants also raised concerns about the use of the word gypsier, which they believe is racist.

A spokesman said that the ASA is currently assessing the complaints to see whether there is grounds for launching an investigation into whether Channel 4 has broken the advertising code.

Christine Cawley, an Irish Traveller who lives in London, criticised Channel 4's ad campaign in a piece for the Guardian's Comment is Free section on Tuesday, arguing that the broadcaster "seems to be using who we are against us in a way that feels very hard to take".

The London Gypsy & Traveller Unit delivered a letter of complaint to Channel 4 on Tuesday, addressed to chief creative officer Jay Hunt and chief executive David Abraham, raising concerns over the stereoptyping inherent in the campaign.

"We wonder if Channel 4 would have been so ready to use the adverts with similarly compromising phrases for other ethnic groups: 'Jewisher' or 'more Asian' or 'Blacker'," said the unit, which also asked Channel 4 to remove the ad campaign and apologise.

Arnold and Biggs, the Labour assembly members for North East London and City & East London respectively, wrote to Channel 4 earlier this week to express their concern and disgust with the campaign.

The assembly members said the adverts were totally inappropriate, offensive and disrespectful.

"We have the pleasure of having many Travellers as constituents in the areas of East London we represent, and we can tell you that even in 2012 they continue to suffer discrimination on all levels," they said.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman said: "The advertising campaign builds on the celebratory nature of the first series of Big Fat Gypsy Weddings.

"It is a take on the well-established programme title which in itself is a spoof of the title of a well-known Hollywood film. Everyone featured in the series is from the travelling community and refers to themselves as Gypsies.

"The word 'gypsier' refers to the fact that this series offers even greater access and insight to the communities featured, and the terms 'gyspy' or 'gypsier' are not being used in a negative context.

"The advertising features contributors from the series and the images were taken in their own communities.

"Everyone featured in the campaign has seen the posters and is happy with them. All images were taken with full consent and all aspects of the poster campaign fully comply with advertising guidelines."

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Fatty posted:

The Hotel (2 series)
Educating Essex
24 Hours in A&E
The Agency

And when they have an idea it follows this pattern.

Season 1: Watchable, interesting, you get unexpectedly drawn in to participant's stories
Season 2: "Its ba-ack! And this time there's more conflict! Wierder situations!" Everybody involved makes you want to gnaw your own arms off at how desperately unlikeable they are.

Come Dine being one of the worst offenders. I don't know why they don't drop the pretense it's about cooking meals and just make it about sniffing through people's knicker drawers and shouting at each other.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
Are we really calling that a rap? What are poems now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Mogadishu posted:

Are we really calling that a rap? What are poems now?

Old rap. Well, depending on metre.