Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Can't wait to see how this is going to work. I think how well the centurion does depends on how bad the random teams end up.

Also, thanks for the certificate, Nevets. I'll use it once I figure out what to put there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So what kind of impact does our panel of Mech experts expect the "Marik Roulette" team rule to have on the outcome of this fight? Starting off 3 on 3, randomizing members every 30 seconds or every time a mech goes down, do you have any predictions on how this will affect overall strategy during this bout?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I have to wonder if working with my nominal "teammate" is even worth it. I mean other then agreeing to focus fire more readily there isn't much advantage. Screw the possibility of them getting behind me, they could get close to me period and what would I do then?

Really I see this team mechanic affecting me more by locking out possible shots and maybe preventing me from taking a few blows.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Something's been kinda bugging me since I read PTN's post. Nothing major, just something that's been making me wonder.

PTN posted:

I wouldn’t give his Catapult good odds in the arena either, the Cat’s a great `Mech but it’s much better suited to the Steiner Coliseum or the Jungle.
Isn't the Jungle like, really heavily wooded and makes for really intense short ranged fights? Admittedly, this Cata variant doesn't have quite the minimum range problems as the base, but it does have some. Wouldn't it be kinda difficult for it to work in the Jungle? I'm just wondering if someone with more experience at this can tell me where I'm wrong.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Defiance Industries posted:

I can tell every last one of those competitors in there has the same thing on his mind, Mean Gene. He wants to prove he's worthy of stepping into the ring with the Sexy Beast. They want a shot at my title, and since I'm in such a generous mood, maybe I'll put the belt up, if they impress me.

#Y3J

If PTN isn't planning on giving him a viewpoint later, I'd kill for some trash talk coming from Philip Capet, for maximum wrestling.

quote:

So what kind of impact does our panel of Mech experts expect the "Marik Roulette" team rule to have on the outcome of this fight? Starting off 3 on 3, randomizing members every 30 seconds or every time a mech goes down, do you have any predictions on how this will affect overall strategy during this bout?

I'm not an expert, but if the Axeman gets a melee buddy at the right time, it will decimate everything. Since there's nothing to fear about backstabs if you're melee, this gives it a major advantage. Conversely, it probably wants to stall and use mobility if it gets handed the Centurion and Catapult, probably its worst allies. There's something to be said about the Marauder and Catapult working in tandem, too - if the Marauder punches holes into an enemy, the Catapult can finish it off easily, which makes for a very interesting scenario if they end up on the same side. That's my two cents on it.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Out of curiosity, do the mechs competing in this match (or on Solaris in general) use live ammunition?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What'll be interesting to see is if any alliances persist for multiple rounds - randomizing the teams means there's a reasonable chance that two mechs might be on the same side for six or even nine turns at a time, so even if it's an uncertain alliance it'll have a real effect on the battle.

VVV I'd imagine all-energy platforms must be extremely popular as a result, and if people are allowed to yield then getting head-armour blown off probably shuts down a lot of rounds.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That they do. Steiner Stadium has a Lostech system that enables live viewers through the use of special ammunition and laser diffusion but other than that, no live spectators because of it.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

cafel posted:

I have to wonder if working with my nominal "teammate" is even worth it. I mean other then agreeing to focus fire more readily there isn't much advantage. Screw the possibility of them getting behind me, they could get close to me period and what would I do then?

Really I see this team mechanic affecting me more by locking out possible shots and maybe preventing me from taking a few blows.

As mentioned, you and the Catapult are best friends forever and it's absolutely in your best interests to be pals for as long as it lasts, since you both do the same thing but you're better. The Guillotine is a good ally of convenience, as he finishes the jobs you start, but don't count on a long lasting alliance. The Axeman is your enemy and you want it dead or you will die. The thunderbolt is a jack of all trades, who could be a competent ally but also a nuisance you should ignore depending on the situation. The Centurion...it's a shield for you, at best. At best.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shoeless posted:

Something's been kinda bugging me since I read PTN's post. Nothing major, just something that's been making me wonder.

Isn't the Jungle like, really heavily wooded and makes for really intense short ranged fights? Admittedly, this Cata variant doesn't have quite the minimum range problems as the base, but it does have some. Wouldn't it be kinda difficult for it to work in the Jungle? I'm just wondering if someone with more experience at this can tell me where I'm wrong.

The normal Catapult is actually a drat fine bracket fire mech. It's not so much a fire support mech as it is a knife fighter that can reach out and touch someone on the approach. This version sacrifices a lot of that short range firepower and straps a loving bomb to its chest. It'd be a much better mech if they gave it back its other 2 medium lasers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 16, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So what happens if two players decide to team up ally shift be damned? I'm picturing a hilarious scenario where the axman calmly walks up to a combatant while shielded by the other guy's "ally."

But then again, I'm one of the bitter Ryuken whiners, so don't listen to me! :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Subterfrugal posted:

So what happens if two players decide to team up ally shift be damned? I'm picturing a hilarious scenario where the axman calmly walks up to a combatant while shielded by the other guy's "ally."

But then again, I'm one of the bitter Ryuken whiners, so don't listen to me! :)

`Mechs don't block line of sight; and if he's walking up to someone he's walking PAST his ally and thus giving up a free hatchet attack. His choice.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Why are people afraid of a melee Mech when simultaneous init is in play?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

Why are people afraid of a melee Mech when simultaneous init is in play?

Because I'm making special considerations for melee attacks. They're unlikely to come into play, but if you end next to someone I'll probably assume there's a contingency: hatchet, punch, or kick (in that order).

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Fair enough.

It will be interesting to see whether the players try to keep their teammates and enemies grinding at each other as long as possible.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

The Centurion does seem like the odd one out, in terms of capability. :/

What if its pilot had one additional point of piloting and gunnery? Would that even the odds a little?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

cafel posted:

Fields of fire issue. With so much potential cover, it's not that hard to hide from an single opponent. Teammates working together can ensure at least one of them has a valid shot.

If people are focusing fire on your mech in this scenario, you're standing in the wrong spot.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Or you're one of the favorites who everyone wants to see dead ASAP.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

On a similar note, being underpowered can be an advantage since people are more likely to ignore you - the thing about free-for-alls is victory often goes to whomever best conserves their strength and lets the others tear each other apart.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

paragon1 posted:

How'd I do? Everyone feel like they're getting the full SD experience?

Almost as good.

Now that he's been chased off of here, his internet time is spent annoying people on OTHER forums I read. In this case, Dumpshock. I like me some shadowruns. There is no escape.

Speaking of shadowrun, though, I recently had a chance to read the Battlerun adventure Best Ever. You know, the april fools one from 09 that combined the two setting.. It is a hilarious parody piece that I can recommend looking over for laughs, but I was really surprised at how LONG it is. The thing is 50 pages.

Edit: And, of course, I hit my post right before reading all the 'knock it off' posts. Whoops.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I love Best Ever. I was once told that i was the inspiration for the Lyran section.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Question about orders: Can the conditional orders be non-mech specific and instead reflect other details and criteria? For example can the players give:

orders posted:

Run to 1234; face 1134.

Shoot the mech I have the best to-hit with weapons x, y, and z.

If the to-hit is 11+ or worse only shoot the y and z.

If there my best to-hit is tied between two mechs than shoot the closest. And if there's a tie in proximity than shoot Mech A over Mech B and Mech B over Mech C.

If possible initiate a kick.

On a personal note, I'm looking forward to all the times in the coming match when Poptarts has to say, "Update delayed; two(three)[six] mechs are attempting to occupy the same hex." Imagining the two or more pilots frantically trying to figure out who they bumped into and how best to restrategize with the glimpse into their opponent's previous (and now just as frantically changing) plans is going to be great.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Dolash posted:

On a similar note, being underpowered can be an advantage since people are more likely to ignore you - the thing about free-for-alls is victory often goes to whomever best conserves their strength and lets the others tear each other apart.

Which might work if I can get a chance to make sure there are other targets. Unfortunately, a lot of that all comes down to deployment. If I get put across from one of the heavier mechs on the other team, pretty much my only chance is to evade them until they're put on my team. This will be an exciting game of "don't engage anyone ever." for me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My conditionals:
1. Shoot nearest target.
2. Dont die.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alchenar posted:

"a swarthy man with a vibrant baritone"?

Duncan Fisher! Your excerpt is still the first sentence :colbert:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
I can't be the only one that really wants to see the axeman leap down through one of the holes to melee somebody. A DFA would be ideal, but with the move rules is all but impossible I'd think.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the one hand, that Catapult replaces its LRMs with a pair of PPCs, making one of the more distinctive variants of a classic design and with the ability to take off over a ton of armor each round from across the map. On the other, oh god machineguns. Personally, I'm a big coward so I'd dump that ammo first thing. Not like anybody's got any SRM infantry hiding in the ruins. And finding fire lanes isn't going to be easy. I can imagine minimum range will be a problem what with people essentially stumbling around in the dark, initiative-wise. Especially if Felime is as crafty as I think he is. I sure know he knows more about the game than I do. At least that's what I assume about people who don't outright say they don't know nothin'.

The Marauder is much the same, just without the ability to hop out of trouble through a hole in the ceiling should things get hairy. He's also got some lasers, so he can at least do a bit of damage should someone decide to make cafel feel uncomfortable.

Both the Guillotine and Thunderbolt are perfect fits for the situation, with decent holepunching ability from a distance and a withering barrage of close-up guns. The Thunderbolt has a slight advantage downrange but probably won't get to enjoy it too much, things look like they're going to be pretty tight in the Factory tonight. The opposite is true for the 'tine, he's got no minimum range and one more MLas, he'll mess you up.

The Axman is the only L2 'Mech on the field. He'll also gently caress you up if you get close enough to let him. And I am pretty sure everyone already knew that. Good god, he's got an AC/20 and swings a reinforced hunk of metal the size of a schoolbus.

The Centurion? Er. Live, Felime! You can do it!

EDIT: And so you see I've never actually fielded a Catapult K2 before. :v:

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 16, 2012

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

...tonight’s broadcast is sponsored by Quikscell Company: because if you could afford better, you wouldn’t be shopping with us!”

Buhahahaha thank you. :master:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I keep seeing people talking about the Catapult jumping: the K2 had to drop the jets to fit extra heat sinks since the LRMs aren't nearly as hot as a PPC. All in all, I'm not terribly impressed with it, though the tech 2 versions can be nice.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I will try and do a quick mech writeup sometime tonight. At least this fight doesn't have me trying to reverse engineer crazy PTN custom mechs. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Only if one of them stops in hex X, and even then I'd dice off to see who got there first.
Get a deck of cards and take out one suit. Draw one card per mech and resolve their actions in numerical order. It also gives you the chance to make poker jokes.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

So, who's Ken Hachiman and what are his secret motives?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So, who's Ken Hachiman and what are his secret motives?

At the moment, probably weighing up whether he can expect support from Davion fans after the whole Draconis Suns thing. Everyone's got a horse in this race, prestige-wise, and a win for a Kuritan that's celebrated by Davions could do as much for unity as any cooperation on the battlefield. Think Space Invictus.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I'm curious about political repercussions in the form of mildly enhanced nationalism. Aside from Draconis/Davion speculation above, a win for Skye or New Syrtis is obviously a big win for their legitimacy and national identity (as will be any triumph over the Lyran or Liao competitor respectively), a win for Steiner will give their beleagured people a positive item in the news, and a win for the Free World League might help with Duncan's popularity just like a win for Liao will help the newest Chairperson.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 16, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Dolash posted:

At the moment, probably weighing up whether he can expect support from Davion fans after the whole Draconis Suns thing. Everyone's got a horse in this race, prestige-wise, and a win for a Kuritan that's celebrated by Davions could do as much for unity as any cooperation on the battlefield. Think Space Invictus.

Makes sense. So since Hachiman was a 'last-minute replacement,' is he a ringer Subhash Indrahar slipped in to ensure that effect? Or is he a Combine traditionalist determined to make a Justin Xiang-style stand against Davion hegemony?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Makes sense. So since Hachiman was a 'last-minute replacement,' is he a ringer Subhash Indrahar slipped in to ensure that effect? Or is he a Combine traditionalist determined to make a Justin Xiang-style stand against Davion hegemony?

He's an alternate because his predicessor agreed to a fistfight with an Axman.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Dolash posted:

It appears as though players will give their movement and shooting orders at the same time - so they'll have to give multiple shooting orders, most of which are a best guess of who'll actually be in range.

A part of me says it'd make more sense to do the movement simultaneously then post the results and decide shooting, but that'd double the amount of time we'd spend waiting per turn, so I don't know how popular that'd be. On the other hand, giving orders all at once is going to result in some weird actions, especially if someone gives in poor contingencies (ending up firing on someone who ran away rather than a much juicier target right in front of them because they didn't predict where the enemy was going, for example, or maybe firing on the nearest enemy who isn't a threat rather than engaging the real danger because the nearest one had the best to-hit).

Maybe decide movement alone in the first turn, and then adopt a shooting - melee - next turn's movement update progression?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

He's an alternate because his predicessor agreed to a fistfight with an Axman.

C'mon, let me get another conspiracy theory running here! The heir is in the Jenner! The Centurion really has a Gauss Rifle! Hachiman is really one of the Mirza's agents working as a triple agent within the newly-formed Black Dragon Society - just look at the name of his Mech!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

On the one hand, that Catapult replaces its LRMs with a pair of PPCs, making one of the more distinctive variants of a classic design and with the ability to take off over a ton of armor each round from across the map. On the other, oh god machineguns

I like machine guns. Theyre lightweight and do some decent damage for no heat. Also I picture them going CHUCKACHUCKACHUCKACHUCKA in my head and it looks really cool. Really, they have two problems:
1. Most mechs only use one or two + 1 ton of ammo, which leads into:
2. They give you too goddamn much ammo. You dont need 200 shots, ever. 10 MG's with half a ton of ammo is STILL too many bullets.
They could be easily fixed by just reducing the amount of ammo you get per ton to, say, 50.

Anyway, if youre not going to dump all that ammo, you should be firing it every turn regardless of it hitting anything or not just so its that much less damage the explosion would do to you.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 16, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Great Beer posted:

I like machine guns. Theyre lightweight and do some decent damage for no heat. Also I picture them going CHUCKACHUCKACHUCKACHUCKA in my head and it looks really cool. Really, they have two problems:
1. Most mechs only use one or two + 1 ton of ammo, which leads into:
2. They give you too goddamn much ammo. You dont need 200 shots, ever. 10 MG's with half a ton of ammo is STILL too many bullets.
They could be easily fixed by just reducing the amount of ammo you get per ton to, say, 50.

Anyway, if youre not going to dump all that ammo, you should be firing it every turn regardless of it hitting anything or not just so its that much less damage the explosion would do to you.

incorrect, 10 mgs with half a ton of ammo is average bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

This match is going to be an awesome, bloody clusterfuck.

Should we open up a betting pool among the viewers? (Not actual cash since I'm sure a mod would get annoyed at that, but... something?) It's in Solaris tradition, drat it!

• Locked thread