Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

csidle posted:

Because it's set in Rio - the New York atmosphere was key for the previous two games, and furthermore, to be honest, I don't feel like I need more of the series. The previous games were so good that I'm fine with them. That said, I'm pretty psyched now.

It's not set in Rio de Janeiro, it's set in São Paulo, which is basically Brazilian New York. It's got plenty of skyscrapers and dark alleys and poo poo. And it's a much more unique and original setting than New York. As good as the noir New York city setting was in the first two games, São Paulo has never been done before especially in a noir style.

It's also not close to the equator, what the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

csidle posted:

Because it's set in Rio - the New York atmosphere was key for the previous two games, and furthermore, to be honest, I don't feel like I need more of the series. The previous games were so good that I'm fine with them. That said, I'm pretty psyched now.

This was another thing that appealed to me afterwards; I don't know if we'd really need another Max Payne game where he wears a leather jacket and shoots people in the middle of the night in New York. They're trying something a little different with it, and that's pretty cool when they could have just made Max Payne 3: Max Payne 2 In HD.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So just a little update: It's been 2 days and I still haven't received any word from Steam about the problems that I've had with the mac compatibility for the GTA games. I'm also not the only one having these exact problems (there's a thread on the forums) and am not the only one who is seemingly being ignored by Steam Support. Even a "we are aware of the issue and working to fix it" would be nice. It seems uncharacteristic of them to keep people in the dark about stuff like this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also Remedy (the original creators of MP1/MP2) worked closely with Rockstar and gave Max Payne 3 the thumbs up.

But back to GTA. I really hope they aim for the Fall season with GTAV, I'm so psyched for it and "Coming 2013" would be goddamn agonizing, especially when there are maybe one or two games announced to come out around next Fall that I'm even remotely curious about, so having something like a new GTA game would be perfect, I've had GTAIV for over three years now and I still play it from time to time.

TheJoker138 posted:

So just a little update: It's been 2 days and I still haven't received any word from Steam about the problems that I've had with the mac compatibility for the GTA games. I'm also not the only one having these exact problems (there's a thread on the forums) and am not the only one who is seemingly being ignored by Steam Support. Even a "we are aware of the issue and working to fix it" would be nice. It seems uncharacteristic of them to keep people in the dark about stuff like this.
I have a weird stutter issue with GTA: San Andreas, though it's the App Store version. I know for a fact I'm not the only one (there's even a FAQ section about it on Rockstar's website) but Rockstar's support just kept saying they're aware of the issue but never did anything about it.

I e-mailed them about the problem, after which they asked some questions to which I answered, then they sent an e-mail back saying that if I don't answer within 30 days they consider the issue solved. I replied again and they sent the same e-mail again. :what:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 16, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
One of my biggest wants for GTAV are seasons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Himuro posted:

It's set in (fictionalized) LA. What seasons would there be?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Himuro posted:

This probably won't happen since San Andreas is an LA analogue. People there can barely handle driving in the rain, if it ever snowed the entire state would go on lockdown.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Stare-Out posted:

But back to GTA. I really hope they aim for the Fall season with GTAV, I'm so psyched for it and "Coming 2013" would be goddamn agonizing, especially when there are maybe one or two games announced to come out around next Fall that I'm even remotely curious about, so having something like a new GTA game would be perfect, I've had GTAIV for over three years now and I still play it from time to time.
Third quarter would be good - it's such an iconic title that they don't need to bank on the November clusterfuck (good god last October/November was ridiculous) to drive holiday sales, so they could fling it out in August or whenever and start raking in money straight away. But if they're also taking a policy of "it's done when it's done" and don't ship it until it's well polished, then that's what they should do.

And that they ease up on the driving model a little so I don't drive like drunken McNulty when I fire it up for the first time. I loved how weighty certain vehicles felt in free roam in IV, but during missions sometimes you'd oversteer over a corner and wedge up against a tree while your target zooms off over the horizon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHeqeiIQt34

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

TheJoker138 posted:

gently caress. I forgot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I could deal with the driving but God I hope they learned their lesson about "chase this guy but you can't actually kill him until this predetermined spot"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

TheJoker138 posted:

Smog.
Smoggier.
Uh Oh Smog Level Alert.
Hope you got some kinda rebreather or some poo poo smog!

:v:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well, wild speculation and all but in the trailer showed some mountainous areas, so there might be some weather variations around those parts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Well, wild speculation and all but in the trailer showed some mountainous areas, so there might be some weather variations around those parts.

I think he meant actual, full on seasons though. Like if you load up the game early in the story it's Spring, and at the end of the story it's Winter, and then maybe changes every X number of in game weeks after that or something. Maybe even have it be real time within the game (using every game day as a day of an in game month, and have seasons start on certain days of each month, etc.). Which would be really loving cool.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Even if it's LA they could at least do Summer, autumn, and smoggy weather, right? I've never been in LA during the autumn so I don't know what it's like.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Himuro posted:

Even if it's LA they could at least do Summer, autumn, and smoggy weather, right? I've never been in LA during the autumn so I don't know what it's like.

Having lived there for a year, autumn in LA is summer in LA except five degrees cooler. Everybody still wears jackets though, because OH MY GOD IT'S SO COLD NOW and I laugh at them because I grew up with 20 years of Chicago winters.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Christ. That sounds worse than Houston.

Speaking of which, GTA: Houston would be the most boring game of all time, much like the city it takes after.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
GTA Texas Anywhere:

Your character immediately eats their gun, roll credits.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

GTA Texas Anywhere:

But then you could go to the Alamo Drafthouse or whatever they'd call it, probably something with a dick pun, and you could WATCH MOVIES IN THE GAME.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Capn Beeb posted:

GTA Texas Anywhere:

:laffo:

So true, friend. So true.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Crappy Jack posted:

But then you could go to the Alamo Drafthouse or whatever they'd call it, probably something with a dick pun, and you could WATCH MOVIES IN THE GAME.

Alamo Shafthouse. Give me a job Rockstar.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
"The GTA equivalent of the Alamo would be Rammo. Y'know, because the Mexicans rammed the place. :downs: " - Dan Houser on Grand Theft Auto VI: El Jacinto

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Texas does have the worlds tallest obelisk.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
If they ever do a Texas analogue they need to get Larry Hagman to voice one of the mission giving characters. They could call him B.J. instead of J.R.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
Just came in to say that I just started watching the Max Payne 3 gameplay series.

Daddy want.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Thats what I loved most about Tall Trees in RDR.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
So, I've just started playing GTA4 for the first time, can anyone recommend me mods that are a must-have or otherwise advisable to enjoy the game a little more? (can you tell I'm sceptical because of ~~GOONS RUINING EVERYTHING??~~)

ICenhancer looks good, but it's just that - looks good and I'd wager needs more CPU/GPU/RAM than I can muster.
The Ultimate Vehicle Mod sounds nice, too, but I've read their FAQ and it looks like it's too much of a hassle if you need to deinstall it for a couple of missions that would otherwise not work.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Does anyone have any luck configuring ICEnhancer? Ive installed it correctly (i think), and my pc has the cojones to run it, but its way too dark at night and way too bright during the day. Changing the brightness doesn't help, its the huge disparity between the two that is the problem.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
I think the problem with the brightness is inherent to the mod afaik. Same with the darkness, propably.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Billy Grey is the best antagonist of any of the GTA IV games, if not all of GTA. Just throwing that out there.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

Billy Grey is the best antagonist of any of the GTA IV games, if not all of GTA. Just throwing that out there.

Catalina is better but he's up there.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Timeless Appeal posted:

Too bad the last mission was so lovely as far as climaxes go

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Max Payne 3 looks fantastic to play and will probably have a great story, my only problem is that the first two stories were really personal to Max. The first one had him avenging his wife, the second had him being betrayed by an ally, whereas this one just seems to have a plot that only has to do with his job.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

the_american_dream posted:

Too bad the last mission was so lovely as far as climaxes go

I thought I was the only one. It's the only mission in TLAD I didn't like. What the gently caress, Rockstar.

Edit: ah yes, I'm on the mission that made me hate GTAIV: Three Leaf Clover, with it's crappy checkpoints - or lack thereof - and healing items after intense shoot outs. poo poo mission. poo poo design. gently caress you Rockstar.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 18, 2012

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
One would think Lost would have ended with a motorcycle chase, not a corridor level followed by an execution.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, I'm actually replaying the GTA IV games co-currently and in chronological order, mostly doings things so they match up. I'm using this timeline. It's mostly the best timeline that exists, but you still have to do some mental gymnastics since the bulk of the Lost Elizabeta missions have to happen after a point where it's implied that she went to prison in GTA IV. There's also stuff in her missions clearly intended to crossover with events in GTAIV that you now have to pretend don't.

I really hope the rumored multiple protagonists thing doesn't happen in GTA V. It will only trigger the worst part of my gaming tendencies.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 19, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh my god. gently caress you, Rockstar.

Three Loaf Clover. Again.

I get out of the train station, make up to the street level. I steal a car. I look at my map when I notice only one of my partners gets in the car with me.

"Wait. That dumbass is still down in the subway channel? gently caress this game."

So I bail out of my car, go down stairs, see one of my incompetent partners, he RUNS AWAY FROM ME and runs further into the Subway passage. What the ever gently caress?

He finally decides to tag along and but then I realize the cops follows us down in the subway stairwell. I fight cop after cop, with little health and end up dying.

20 minutes down the drain, no check points, you don't even start at the bank but have to drive back to the bank all over again.

I'm starting to remember why I started to loath this game.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Odd. I've always heard and read Three Leaf Clover as being one of the best or the best mission in GTA. Not my favorite but I enjoy the hell out of it myself. Never actually have died on it just took me a while to figure out a good way to shake the cops at the end

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a great mission, but if things don't work, it sucks.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

the_american_dream posted:

Odd. I've always heard and read Three Leaf Clover as being one of the best or the best mission in GTA.

:laffo:

How and why?

Three Leaf Clover sucks. It isn't even the best bank robbery mission in the series. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'll be honest, when I first played GTA IV, I think I must have attempted Three Leaf Clover about a dozen times in one evening. I had to turn it off because hearing the McReary dialogue on the way over was making me physically sick.

I still loving love the mission. I think I do like the shooting mechanics of GTA IV. They're flawed, and RDR is heads and shoulders above, but I still enjoyed them. It was like playing a gritty 70s crime movie. The main problem is that the settings are often so loving boring. Most of the shootouts you have are in generic warehouses. Projects tend to be the most interesting locations, and they're inspired by places designed to be generic and cookie cutter. Shooting cops from the front door of a bank, running through fake Manhattan, going through alleys, eventually going through the subway tunnels, it's all very interesting in a way that the rest of the game isn't. It's actually utilizing the space and Liberty City as a location.

It sucks that there aren't checkpoints, but I do enjoy the rigor of the mission compared to others. If it had checkpoints, it would be perfect in my view, although I do wish the actual robbery wasn't essentially a cutscene. It would have been fun to actually do crowd control.

• Locked thread