Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Looking good! Glad I voted E.

So, what are the odds for? I wouldn't mind a small wager myself, but isn't that a bad idea to introduce into a game?
I'm not quite sure what it's there for.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

cwDeici posted:

So, what are the odds for?

Fun. Something for me to change as the game goes on to simulate betting. I really don't want anyone to actually make bets.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 16, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

dis astranagant posted:

I keep seeing people talking about the Catapult jumping: the K2 had to drop the jets to fit extra heat sinks since the LRMs aren't nearly as hot as a PPC. All in all, I'm not terribly impressed with it, though the tech 2 versions can be nice.

Which is a shame, because otherwise I would have made the Catapault be Randy Savage. MACHO MADNESS OOOH YEAH

Anyways, I'm putting ten C-Bills on the Centurion. I love the underdog! As C-Bills are entirely fictional, I figure I'm safe in making that bet please no one ban me.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This thread's seen private side-bets before, it's really just a matter of two posters agreeing and not really enforceable (and slightly harder to do with a six-sided fight), but wagering a forum upgrade with someone is not uncommon.

Hell, I'll bet an account upgrade on something if someone presents me with a good bet. Over-under on turns played or pilots killed? A pick of players to win/not win? We could all guess the number of headshots the game'll have a la Price Is Right, I'm game for whatever.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 16, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Defiance Industries backs its hardware. Nobody can say we don't. So I wager one commercial break on the Thunderbolt.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Erd posted:

Maybe decide movement alone in the first turn, and then adopt a shooting - melee - next turn's movement update progression?

PTN: for your sanity and that of the players, this sounds like an amazing idea.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

quote:

It breaks the team randomisation - where do you insert it into the process?

It's probably a good idea for the players to set a reasonably complex fire conditional and re-use it every order, such as

Whenever it is possible to shoot at multiple mechs, shoot at the one with the best to hit chance:

* Fire any weapons at any hostile mech that hits on a 8+ or better.
* Fire any energy weapons in this order (XYZ) at any hostile mech that hits on an 11+ if the heat can be sunk this turn.
* Use any melee attacks legally possible.

etc.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

cwDeici posted:

Looking good! Glad I voted E.

So, what are the odds for? I wouldn't mind a small wager myself, but isn't that a bad idea to introduce into a game.
I'm not quite sure what it's there for.

Fluff.

Solaris is a game world and people bet on games.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It breaks the team randomisation - where do you insert it into the process?

The end of the turn, after the fire phase.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

It's really not. Since I'm the one who's gotta deal with the logistics, I'll be the most pressed; but I'd run out of things to write about if I broke the turns apart.

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
Eagerly awaiting the conclusion of this sentence:

" Still, with pros like Charles Boyington and Ngoc Binh on the field. "

Are there set exits for ramps? Eg. Can you move from 0508 Lv.1 to 0607 Lv.2 directly, or do you need to move up the ramp through 0408? Does it take extra movement to scale a ramp? As in, they are normal 1 level elevation changes without the 'Low Ceiling Clearance' house rule?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Sair posted:

The end of the turn, after the fire phase.

Then you're breaking each turn into two which doubles the resolution time. It's only worth swapping the order if you ask players to submit both their fire and movement orders. The advantage of swapping is that you don't need complex conditional firing orders from the players because they will be able to see the 'shooting' state when submitting orders.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Not to get too spergy but did Team Banzai design the Axman or is this a reaction by the Lyrans to the increasing terror of Fist of the Steel Viper?

Also this is going to own bones. I never thought for a moment losing the vote for Ryuken would be a let down.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 16, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think most of what I have to say has been said by the thread, but still!

Custom loadouts!
Factory mayhem!
Marik madness!

:rock:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As far as betting goes, there's an interesting thing going on in one of the Dominions 3 sub-forums. They're doing a Let's Play from the POV of ALL the players. As a side thing, every reader of the forum gets a 1000 net bux to make bets on how the game's going to proceed. Means nothing, of course. But it encourages minor participation by the audience and gets people rooting for certain sides.

I, unwisely, put 750 net bux on TheDemon going out of the game first because he was being attacked by three players...only to watch him subvert one of them and kick the crap out of the other two. Dominions 3 tip: Never bet against TheDemon.

So, taking that idea over here, we could each have an arbitrary amount of C-Bills that we can either bet against the house or with one another. Since you can't buy anything or spend it on anything, we'd just do as we're doing over on Doomed to Fail and go on the honor system. No admin work required.

Assuming, by way of example, that I had some 1000 C-Bills, I could bet 500 at 2-1 on the Catapult being the winner. I could then offer at 1-1 odds my other 500 that the Centurion would be the first 'mech out. If "HypotheticalPlayer" took me up for 250 and "SomeRandomLurker" took me up for the other 250, and the Centurion went down first I'd now have 1000 C-Bills to make another bet with, and 500 still invested in my Catapult bet.

And so on, and so forth. Best thing about it is that we get to be like Gray Noton watching the fight from our private party, betting with one another as things go along.

Only without the, you know, getting murdered by Justin thing later.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 16, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I will take that bet.
But you will soon experience regret,
Because I am the best there has ever been.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Wouldn't wagers, imaginary money or not, muck up an already busy thread?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Royal Rumble-style :toxx:es. Just throwing it out there.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trast posted:

Wouldn't wagers, imaginary money or not, muck up an already busy thread?

If we aren't already the busiest thread we WILL be.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

If we aren't already the busiest thread we WILL be.

We're only about 150,000 views short of the sandcastle; so I suspect we're pretty close.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This marks the first time the option I have voted for won in the scenario vote. :toot:

Vote early and vote often.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I get to represent Steiner on Solaris? In an Axman? :stare: ... OH HELL YES! :woop: Whatever happens, I vow that I will do my level best to ensure that someone is gonna get axed. :black101:

Edit: Gonna buy Platinum/PM access today. Because drat, that's worth the bux and E-mail would be too much hassle.

Magni fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 16, 2012

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I would give anything to be in that Centurion this game, think of the glory when you win!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
At least I get the consolation prize of representing House Marik, with the added bonus that I have hardly a single clue what I am doing!

It's the FWL way.

At least I don't really have to worry about ammo. Just heat.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
This is going to be an incredibly brutal fight, some interesting mech choices and loadouts.

That Axman gonna break some heads.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think there's a decent possibility that I'm in the mech that would have become Yen-Lo-Wang, in which case I have to win (and kill at least one of you. The pilot, not the mech).

E: Especially you, cafel. Sorry mate, that's just how it has to be.

Felime fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 16, 2012

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Keru posted:

That Axman gonna break some heads.

I don't think it will - because of how initiative is being handled, the chance of getting an axe hit in is more blind luck than anything. Though it will be awesome when it hits.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So how come Davion didn't get anyone to compete for them? (and are there any ingame reasons why large companies don't sponsor fighters and only successor states do?)

also someone please please write out specs on the mechs involved in this fight.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

I don't think it will - because of how initiative is being handled, the chance of getting an axe hit in is more blind luck than anything. Though it will be awesome when it hits.

On the other hand the confined nature of this map means that a player can easily get in a situation where there are only like one or two good options for movement. With a bit of consideration and a good guess the Axman might be able to force an enemy to decide between getting the axe or eating an AC/20 at 0 move mod or even to the back.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Affi posted:

So how come Davion didn't get anyone to compete for them?

House Davion-Kurita of the Draconis Suns are fully represented, no?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well it just says "Kurita" :S

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Affi posted:

So how come Davion didn't get anyone to compete for them? (and are there any ingame reasons why large companies don't sponsor fighters and only successor states do?)

also someone please please write out specs on the mechs involved in this fight.

Companies do sponsor pilots, but the vast majority of companies big enough to matter are attached to a successor state. Defiance Industries ain't gonna back no Marik, ya know.

Davion not being directly represented probably has more to do with with the sudden independence of the Duchy than anything else. A month ago that guy would have been under the Fed Suns' banner.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think he's more wondering why VEST or someone aren't there. Probably because the don't tend to actually put their designs into open competition and prefer to sell to the stables. All of the stables mentioned here are canon stables, so this is basically who qualified for the finals.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

This thread's seen private side-bets before, it's really just a matter of two posters agreeing and not really enforceable (and slightly harder to do with a six-sided fight), but wagering a forum upgrade with someone is not uncommon.

Speaking of which...

Archives upgrade says the team with Warhawk in it will get the first kill, regardless of what the actual team compositions are at the time of it happening. Boyington is a warrior without peer and I have complete confidence in his ability to deliver. You game?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like the Axman's odds. It's clear that the bookies have never seen the -1N fight that often, and just can't quite work out what the hatchet will actually be able to achieve.

Personally my money is on the Guillotine. Although the Marauder has huge long-range damage output it's got heat problems made worse by replacing the AC5 with a large laser. The Thunderbolt is a nasty brawler with a similar loadout to the Guillotine but I think the jump-jets will proove crucial to getting in some good moves that'll give the Guillotine the edge here. The Catapult I don't rate highly for Solaris, the Axman will be interesting as it's got that AC20 but it's also got an XL engine and the Centurion could be the kingmaker but I don't think it'll amount to much else. It's a mid-speed medium workhorse with no spectacular damage output and an LRM which will be severely limited here.

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
I've been thinking, this simultaneous movement phase style of fighting lends itself well to people slipping into your rear arcs. The pillars might serve better as something to hold at your back while advancing, rather than something to hide behind. PTN, can you shoot through openings in the ceiling / floor?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes, you can shoot through the holes in the floor if you have line of sight.

I did forget to mention something, though:

Stable Conditions: You are not required to take your full compliment of ammunition. Since this isn't a real battlefield situation and you're aware of your opposition in advance, you're allowed to take as much or as little ammunition for your ammo-based weapons as you think you can get away with.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Speaking of which...

Archives upgrade says the team with Warhawk in it will get the first kill, regardless of what the actual team compositions are at the time of it happening. Boyington is a warrior without peer and I have complete confidence in his ability to deliver. You game?

I'll take that bet.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

I'll take that bet.

If you don't mind I'll wait for Dolash to answer first since we have a bit of history in this thread. If he declines, you're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hob_Gadling posted:

If you don't mind I'll wait for Dolash to answer first since we have a bit of history in this thread. If he declines, you're on.

Ah, I didn't realize that was addressed specifically at him. I thought you were just quoting him to provide context for an open bet or something.

But yeah, if he declines, I'm game.

• Locked thread