Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff
Wow, ICS is pretty perfect on my Touchpad. Works better overall than CM7 did, and feels much more polished... as long as you don't try to watch a Youtube/Netflix video.

Still, it was worth it to upgrade. I can use Splashtop for Netflix until they update it (Dalingrin made it sound like it'd be sometime near this weekend)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

All this ICS chatter makes me a sad panda because I'm basically waiting for CM9. I just don't want to install a community ROM that hasn't really been tested & has plenty of bugs.

But y'know, when CM9 is released, it'll be worth the long wait.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Odette posted:

I just don't want to install a community ROM that hasn't really been tested & has plenty of bugs.
It really depends on the device. CM9 is basically all over the map.

For example, on a GNex or Nexus, it's basically as good as stock ICS with some CM features starting to creep in. HTC devices have a lot more non-working features due to the lack of updated proprietary drivers.

So, the result is that "stable" CM9 is a long ways off due to the desire of getting most CM7-supported devices on board. But it's perfectly usable right now on devices that are already well supported.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

Yup, just wipe the cache and dlavik and flash it! It will flash it's own radio and kernel for you. Let me know how it turns out for you-- mine is very responsive. I have one thing that doesn't work and that is my camera flash-- not a deal breaker but still annoying. I don't know how that is not working considering this is just the straight OTA update.

Flashed it and it's working great. Battery's a bit better but not hugely so, and the recent apps list appears a lot faster now. Flash works fine on my device so maybe it's hardware?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
gently caress yeah, there's a CM9 ROM out for the Shift! I never expected one that fast. Against my better judgement, I'm gonna back up and flash this.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It really depends on the device. CM9 is basically all over the map.

For example, on a GNex or Nexus, it's basically as good as stock ICS with some CM features starting to creep in. HTC devices have a lot more non-working features due to the lack of updated proprietary drivers.

So, the result is that "stable" CM9 is a long ways off due to the desire of getting most CM7-supported devices on board. But it's perfectly usable right now on devices that are already well supported.

I've only flashed once to my SGS2, and that was CM7.

I don't know what the status is like with CM9 ROMs though. :(

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I know there's a few other Atrix 4G users out there. Some guy named Turl1 apparently joined forces with Jokersax, sort of, and is releasing his own cm9 kangs. I just did a fresh flash of his v5, and and it's pretty good. Netflix doesn't display properly for whatever reason, and Waze just sits on the loading screen interminably before crashing. Also the headphone jack still doesn't seem to work (is that just my phone? I don't know anymore) but audio over hdmi works which is kind of rad. Greatest thing is having working cameras again, though. Sounds like video recording doesn't work yet but I missed being able to take pictures.

Those were a lot of negatives but it's really quite smooth and excellent. It was really cool hearing that Motorola plans on an official OTA ICS upgrade of Q3 this year but in the meantime this really is nice.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=22510728&postcount=2708

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I really don't understand the idea behind "kanged" roms. First off the name is just goofy. This isn't star trek, roms aren't klingons so whats the deal.

Second, from what I understand, to "kang" is to jack code off the cyanogen github and gently caress around with it for better or worse. My thought process is why don't these idiots put their heads together and work towards a common goal of having a solid, unified code tree with a bunch of working stuff.

Right now there are 4+ different ics roms for the g2. Two have a working camera. The others which do not are an unofficial cyanogen build and another is miui. Why the gently caress are these people refusing to talk to each other? It drives me up the wall that so many end users have to suffer because every loving dev is seemingly incapable of not acting like a 10 year old fighting over who gets what portion of the sandbox.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Slopehead posted:

Why the gently caress are these people refusing to talk to each other?
Because I am a unique snowflake and I will make my own ROM.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Because I am a unique snowflake and I will make my own ROM.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Kanged builds are nothing more than ROM's built off public CM code and whatever bits they literally steal from camping CM IRC rooms. Some of it's kosher, some of it isn't.

Why don't they work together? Two reasons.

1) Pride / E-penis / Attention

2) They honestly have no loving idea what they are actually doing. At some point they read a wiki on how to compile a flash-able ROM from source and for the most part Android is pretty much LEGO so with enough brute force you can build something that boots. 8 idiots in a room aren't going to be able to build a ROM worth using though because they'll just come up with the same ROM (since they are building from the same source and don't know anything past that) and "development" would break down because of internet drama & fighting.

All useful development is done behind closed doors on IRC.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I don't think its possible for me to properly express how tired I've become of the stupid insular circlejerk/infighting in the android community. The first drat rom I've seen worth flashing since cm7. 1 was released, the actual dev has refused flat out to talk to other devs or users. He had his buddy post the drat thing up because of how freaking dumb everyone acts.

:negative: x ten billion

Edit: For what it's worth, the rom in question is "android revolution 7" available on that place we all love to hate. It's genuinely really drat good for sense 3.5, everything seems to work (gps, fm radio, data, wifi, camcorder, camera, hardware acceleration), and the buddy in question has actually formatted the original post to include quality working flashable extras based on feedback in the thread. Only thing of note is adfree doesn't seem super consistent & it's a bit jittery till you bump your clock up to 1.2ghzish. If anyone is on a G2 I'd suggest checking it out.

VVV sent from xdapremiumsupercharged tapatalk app!!!

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 16, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I would also like to add that I hate the fact I know and use the word "kang". It is the stupidest poo poo ever.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I still say that rom title length and quality are closely related. Longer the title , crappier the rom.

Same formula goes for stupid names.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 16, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's a good thing Android OEM's and carriers use the same mentality. :v:

JerleMinara
Jan 22, 2011

JayKay posted:

Same formula goes for stupid names.

AOKP has a pretty stupid name (Android Open Kang Project) but it actually has legitimate development and stuff going on and is being ported to a lot of devices, having new features added, etc.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
But if kanging is just using cyanogen github code then why are they calling it their own open source...

Oh god its better if I just don't think about it to hard. If I do I fear my mind may explode. :psypop:

Edit: It seems that there is an actual ics project called "kang" in addition to the action of "kanging" which more than one rom, gingerbread or otherwise, is labeled as under g2 and mt4g development. Now that I've figured this out, things are a bit clearer but I still think its a loving dumb name.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 16, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

JerleMinara posted:

AOKP has a pretty stupid name (Android Open Kang Project) but it actually has legitimate development and stuff going on and is being ported to a lot of devices, having new features added, etc.
I was going to mention this too. It's got all the hallmarks of a terrible ROM and yet somehow defies convention.

Still haven't tried it because stock Ice Cream Sandwich is too good to deal with anything being broken but I might give it a whirl at some point.

JerleMinara
Jan 22, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I was going to mention this too. It's got all the hallmarks of a terrible ROM and yet somehow defies convention.

Still haven't tried it because stock Ice Cream Sandwich is too good to deal with anything being broken but I might give it a whirl at some point.

Honestly it's such a subtle improvement on ICS I really recommend it to everyone. Toggles in the notification bar, toss on a kernel like franco's or faux for good battery life and just bask in it :3

It's basically a better launcher with a lot of configuration options in the settings and I think it's totally worth using for anyone on a supported device.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Slopehead posted:

Why the gently caress are these people refusing to talk to each other?

Looks like it's time to bust out this classic again.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Edit: Nevermind. I get the joke that you're making, even if I don't think it's relevant to my initial question. Snarky comments are not called for on my end.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 16, 2012

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Nandroid is a full backup image so it restores everything completely, including kernel.

I ran into some quirkiness on my Droid 2 Global that makes this only partially true. However, it may be a symptom of the locked bootloader more than anything.

I was initially running the newest Gingerbread release for it. (System version .608) and decided to do the hack for it that lets it get on AT&T/TMobile.

To perform the hack, I had to flash the phone back to a FroYo system & radio to apply the hack. I made a Nandroid of the Gingerbread system I had set up, thinking that I could just restore it after hacking the radio and everything would be peachy.

This was unfortunately not the case. CWM Recovery, likely as a precaution against bricking, doesn't include the kernel when making backups on the Droid 2 Global (likely the same for other locked Moto devices).

When I restored my GB Nandroid after doing everything I needed to do in FroYo, I noticed that the FroYo boot logo was still present. I had to flash in a Gingerbread kernel for my phone in order for everything to settle correctly. I'm now running the new .608 with the hacked radio after learning that the kernel sat separate from my Nandroid.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
AOKP is super stable on my GN, not to mention awesome. At the very least try it out. It also works well with Francos kernel.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

JerleMinara posted:

There are exceptions to the naming rule and AOKP is one of them. At least they have the decency to abreviate.

Saliciouscrumb posted:

AOKP is super stable on my GN, not to mention awesome. At the very least try it out. It also works well with Francos kernel.

I keep flipping between Rootzboat and AOKP.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
What an odd and long night I've had...

What started out as a quest to remove Swype from my stock Samsung Galaxy S2 (IGT9100) spanned the entire spectrum and went from disaster and despair to triumph.

I understood that I had to root the phone in order to remove something that is part of the original firmware so I googled and found something I thought was suitable. It turns out the .tar file was for a different version of android so when Odin was done my phone wouldn't boot.
Hooray, I thought, then I can flash it with Cyanogen since I've always wanted to try a different ROM. But that doesn't work since you need to have a functioning phone and root access.
I then said gently caress it, I'll go back to stock. I found a 2.3 ROM that seemed correct on a page that looked really nicely laid out, with simple to understand steps.

I select the CSC, Modem and PDA files in Odin and mash Start.
Halfway through the fucker turns red and it fails... Fuckety gently caress gently caress. The phone won't boot, refuses to go into download mode, nothing works. So I rip out the battery, start praying to all the known and unknown deities. Well, the phone is now totally hosed. The download count is now 2 so I can't return it, but luckily I have download mode.

It seems that I've managed, through some hosed up idiotic way, to attempt to flash my Phone with Samsung Galaxy S(1) firmware. No wonder.
Pro-tip: Be sure to read, double and triple check before mashing start in Odin. It would have saved me 5hrs since of course Multiupload was down so no XDA file links worked yesterday.

Long story short(er); I'm now sitting here with ICS 4.03 on my phone with root access. I nearly cried out in joy when Titanium finally allowed me to uninstall Swype at 3am... You can't learn anything unless you screw up.

Bhm fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 16, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bhm posted:

What an odd and long night I've had...

What started out as a quest to remove Swype from my stock Samsung Galaxy S2 (IGT9100) spanned the entire spectrum and went from disaster and despair to triumph.

I understood that I had to root the phone in order to remove something that is part of the original firmware so I googled and found something I thought was suitable. It turns out the .tar file was for a different version of android so when Odin was done my phone wouldn't boot.
Hooray, I thought, then I can flash it with Cyanogen since I've always wanted to try a different ROM. But that doesn't work since you need to have a functioning phone and root access.
I then said gently caress it, I'll go back to stock. I found a 2.3 ROM that seemed correct on a page that looked really nicely laid out, with simple to understand steps.

I select the CSC, Modem and PDA files in Odin and mash Start.
Halfway through the fucker turns red and it fails... Fuckety gently caress gently caress. The phone won't boot, refuses to go into download mode, nothing works. So I rip out the battery, start praying to all the known and unknown deities. Well, the phone is now totally hosed. The download count is now 2 so I can't return it, but luckily I have download mode.

It seems that I've managed, through some hosed up idiotic way, to attempt to flash my Phone with Samsung Galaxy S(1) firmware. No wonder.
Pro-tip: Be sure to read, double and triple check before mashing start in Odin. It would have saved me 5hrs since of course Multiupload was down so no XDA file links worked yesterday.

Long story short(er); I'm now sitting here with ICS 4.03 on my phone with root access. I nearly cried out in joy when Titanium finally allowed me to uninstall Swype at 3am... You can't learn anything unless you screw up.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/SRLMo.png[/timg

A lot of people somehow manage to flash their US SGS2 with the international firmware. That wont boot either. Samsung :love:

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"

Jerk McJerkface posted:

A lot of people somehow manage to flash their US SGS2 with the international firmware. That wont boot either. Samsung :love:

Haha, yeah I noticed that. For me,though it went so far that I picked an ICS Rom at random that matched the hardware and kept my fingers crossed.
There weren't ANY available vendors for the phone (Telenor Sweden) anywhere and all other Nordic versions were hosted on multiupload.com.
Why does this have to be so horribly convoluted? :sigh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I would also like to add that I hate the fact I know and use the word "kang". It is the stupidest poo poo ever.
Don't blame me. I voted for "kodos."

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Somehow it got uglier.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That logo on the top looks 3D on my GN. Like pop-off-the-screen 3DS style 3D. :psyduck:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Bhm posted:

Haha, yeah I noticed that. For me,though it went so far that I picked an ICS Rom at random that matched the hardware and kept my fingers crossed.
There weren't ANY available vendors for the phone (Telenor Sweden) anywhere and all other Nordic versions were hosted on multiupload.com.
Why does this have to be so horribly convoluted? :sigh:

It gets simpler and makes more sense once you get familiar with the samsung conventions and make sure you're not downloading items for the wrong device.

XDA however often does a terrible job of keeping information up to date, easy to understand and accurate. Whilst Samsung and US telecommunications companies do their best to make their names as confusing as possible (Hint: Stick to the ID code. ie I9000 for SGS1 and I9100 for SGS2)

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 16, 2012

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
So the unofficial cm9 rom is working well with my shift, for the most part. The main exceptions are the keyboard lights don't work and any selection dialogue ends up looking like this:

Only with artifacts covering the whole screen (they go away when you take a screenshot, of course :v: ). Also, for some reason, all my apps were still installed when I first booted, even though I made sure to wipe data, cache and system. Is this some weird CM/TiBackup integration or something? If not I'll probably flatten and reinstall and see if it fixes the graphics.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Slopehead posted:

I really don't understand the idea behind "kanged" roms. First off the name is just goofy.
It's dyslexic "gank" but yes, it's silly.

Slopehead posted:

My thought process is why don't these idiots put their heads together and work towards a common goal of having a solid, unified code tree with a bunch of working stuff.
The combined power of two idiots with braindead ideas isn't equal to that of one respectable developer. At best, it works out to super-braindead ideas, but usually just a bunch of infighting.

CyanogenMod is in, most respects, a pretty respectable project. The folks who lead it are concerned with code and release quality, and generally "doing things right." Individual device maintainers are hit or miss, but they're generally team players.

One of the big things that makes CM respectable is Gerrit, their code review mechanism that's the same as AOSP uses, except it's more of a community thing.

So, you have a change you want to make to CM, be it a simple bug fix, or you want to add support for a brand new device. You make whatever changes are necessary for the code, and upload the patch set to gerrit. Anybody can sign up for a Gerrit account and do this, it's encouraged even! Your changes are vetted by folks in CM who have commit rights, and if they feel the code is of quality, it gets committed. If it doesn't, they'll tell you what's wrong and request it be updated and to try again. If they fundamentally disagree with the direction, they'll abandon the change.

Now, here's the rub. The "kangers" are folks who, for whatever reason, don't want to play that game. They fork CM code off github and release their own builds, without gerring the changes back to CM. That's either because:
  • They don't know how (to work inside a proper release process).
  • It's a temporary fork, intending to be merged back when things are stable.
  • Their changes are fundamentally different from the upstream project, like MIUI.
  • They're egotistical shitheads that can't tolerate their code being reviewed, or control freaks, or both.

Along with this is the fact that CyanogenMod generally doesn't like to do releases for devices that are, at best, supported half-assed. This is particularly true in the CM9 transition where a lot of devices that have great CM7 support, don't work well in CM9 due to the lack of access to ICS proprietaries.

Individual device maintainers might push alpha builds for folks wanting to "get a glimpse" of ICS, but with warnings and caveats that the camera won't work because they need new blobs, and it's "going to be a while." Some prefer to not even do that.

Slopehead posted:

Right now there are 4+ different ics roms for the g2.
In most of these instances, it's the shitheads that are constantly trying to one-up each other to get xda street cred by releasing broken rear end ROMs that have one more feature than the other guy's broken rear end ROM. Meanwhile, other developers are sitting on the sidelines, knowing they can't release a quality ROM yet so they recommend you stick with CM7 or whatever.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

All useful development is done behind closed doors on IRC.
This is largely true with regard to having day-to-day conversation. But it's not intentionally secretive, more of a necessary evil to keep xda riff-raff from raising the noise floor.

The point is that the CM development process is very open, and the barrier for entry is, non-technically at least, relatively low. You just have to demonstrate making quality code (or other) contributions to the project.

But if you can't, or don't want to do that, then you have to go find groupies on xda to pimp your next explosion filled turd poo poo abomination of a ROM.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I thought it was just the name of the worst offender back in the early days of CM...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

deong posted:

I thought it was just the name of the worst offender back in the early days of CM...
Oh, maybe. Funny coincidence then. I've seen "gank" used too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

From what I've seen some kangers just do it to get a nightly build out before the Cyanogemod buildbot can. Since I guess having a new nightly a few hours early is important for some people.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I just bought a shiny new Galaxy Nexus to replace my not so shiny Droid X. I had CM7 running on the X, but I'm looking for recommendations on what to do with my Gnexus.

I'm going to follow this guide for rooting. If I need recovery, I guess it is just as easy as going to Market and installing Rom Manager + flashing Clockwork?

Are there roms worth using on this beast yet? CM9 nightlies?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Gyshall posted:

I just bought a shiny new Galaxy Nexus to replace my not so shiny Droid X. I had CM7 running on the X, but I'm looking for recommendations on what to do with my Gnexus.

I'm going to follow this guide for rooting. If I need recovery, I guess it is just as easy as going to Market and installing Rom Manager + flashing Clockwork?

AOKP is a pretty well liked rom, I'm using GummyNex right now and I'm really liking it. There is also someone doing builds of CM9 and Pete has a BuglessBeast out that runs well.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Haha, holy poo poo I never realized that.

deong posted:

I always thought it was this.

Gyshall posted:

I'm currently running Rootzboat v8.0 but I also liked AOKP when I had it installed. Both are pretty solid choices for the Gnex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Nandroid is a full backup image so it restores everything completely, including kernel.

Turns out this is not true. I did a Nandroid of my CM7, wanted to give CM9 a try. Flashed the kernel provided for CM9. Had some bugs so decided to go back to CM7. Just did a restore in CWM. After it finished it had the same CM9 kernel loaded, not the CM7 one. So I had to re-flash the CM7 kernel for it to work properly.