Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Ras Het posted:

For an album with such a grammatically atrocious title it sure is polite and middle class.
Prescriptivist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

het posted:

Prescriptivist.

Surely you know how I feel about politeness and the bourgeoisie?

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

It definitely ended up different than I thought it'd be (not that I don't like the end product mind!). I initially figured it'd have ended up full of stuff like Creeper. You know a bit more raw, bit more Funky, bit more well, UK! As usual bloody people moving to bloody Berlin!

I wanted more tunes like "Creeper" too. Also, from what I read, I thought they were only in Berlin for two months?

Also, Exit Records recently put out an album by Consequence & Joe Seven, under the artist name They Live.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Toni, you realize it's a play on the classic John Carpenter movie They Live!, right?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Nah bruv, the only Carpenter film I know is that one where the dude with the magic sunglasses fights with the alien rozzers.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

I wanted more tunes like "Creeper" too. Also, from what I read, I thought they were only in Berlin for two months?

Also, Exit Records recently put out an album by Consequence & Joe Seven, under the artist name They Live.

Oh I thought they were in Berlin full time now? Ah well, 2 months is enough for the evil Berlin disease to take root. I swear everyone I know who moves to Berlin mutates over the course of the first few months into some freakish Techno worshipping, Berghain loving weirdo. I really wish I was joking.

Mike_V posted:

Toni, you realize it's a play on the classic John Carpenter movie They Live!, right?

No no no, see you're all wrong. It's actually the least middle class bourgeoisie album title in a good while. In the spirit of the proletariat the album title is actually a cunningly disguised pro-Leftist statement. Okay so, if you translate They Live into German you get Sie Leben. Now if you drop the Si and replace it with Ny, swap the b with the L and replace the Le with Va you get: Nye Bevan. Founding father of the NHS and the modern welfare state and staunch pro-Union and workers rights man.

Now some of you may think I just made that all up there this very second and you may possibly be correct, but really in todays highly politicised and ever right wing world it makes perfect sense Benjamin Damage and Doc Daneeka would use their fame to promote the welfare of the common man. ‘Hasta la victoria siempre!

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
New Burial EP is out digitally y'all http://www.hyperdub.net/

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

An0 posted:

New Burial EP is out digitally y'all http://www.hyperdub.net/

The vinyl should be out soon. And by soon I mean not really all that soon, but it is coming. Pressing issue misery they say. No idea what they mean by that, labels wrong way round, stampers done wrong, who knows?

Personally I'd have made people wait but it's probably important to remember I'm a very petty and evil, evil man.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

They said the test presses sounded like poo poo.

I'll listen to that later, but after the snoozefest that was Street Halo I can't say I expect much.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I like the new Burial a lot. Kindred and Ashtray Wasp both have a pretty weird structure, they almost feel like a bunch of sketches stitched together, but they still have a common theme running throughout and work as a cohesive whole. It definitely grows on you. A lot more expansive than Untrue.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Ras Het posted:

They said the test presses sounded like poo poo.

I'll listen to that later, but after the snoozefest that was Street Halo I can't say I expect much.

It's definitely sounding a bit more upbeat compared to the stuff on the Street Halo 12 inch, so I'd definitely give it a honest go. Bizarrely Ashtray Wasp sees him sampling from himself! I can never remember if that's a good sign or a bad sign however.

It's actually kinda - but still not really - fulfilling my want of Burial just to give up the inhibitions and just do an honest bangin' 4x4 filled dancefloor album. Not like what you'd blast out a Vauxhall Corsa, just something that's a bit more physical than the past. Of course maybe it wouldn't actually be Burial then though.

And I doubt it'd sell the 40k+ copies the past two albums have though, which might be an issue.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

:lol:

quote:

Hyperdub @Hyperdub

Any dropouts crackles etc are intentional #burial

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Hahahaa I wonder if people were actually complaining.

"This rip is lovely as gently caress!"

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Either way what is also important is that the eagle has landed and Cactus/Porcupine is out from Objekt.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Other releases of note this week include new Dbridge, Tunnidge x Distance, Hyetal and Ital's full length on Planet Mu.

I'll definitely be checking out all of those, especially Ital's album. I'm a huge fan of 100% Silk and both of his releases on the label have been great.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Just got my physical copy of Cactus/Porcupine in the mail! Picked up a couple of Hemlock releases I was missing with it and the sleeves sustained a bit of cosmetic damage (the Hemlock sleeves are really great so this makes me a bit sad)...the joys of international mail order.

Also Jackmaster is live on ustream at this very moment: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jackmaster-radio

Decline fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 13, 2012

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Loefah live now http://percussionlab.com/radio

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Another release from Off Me Nut, Phatworld (Tich from Squire of Gothos, and Dankle) Arctic Rollers EP. Rather than their last EP which was bassline / grime / mashup / what the gently caress, this one is out and out jungle, and surprisingly good at that and for two quid, it's bargainous.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Got me a residency at one of my favourite club nights which I'm chuffed about. They asked me to do a mix for them too, and the tracklist is now up so I thought I'd post it here. For the mix I used every headliner they've ever had, and no one else, which was a fun challenge, and I think it turned out fairly well. Have a gander!

http://soundcloud.com/fiftyone27/mix-002-aerial

Mosca - Tilt Shift [Fat City]
Kito - Sweet Talk (ARP101's Boogified Mix) [Mad Decent]
Kowton - Dirty Little Bomb [Teal]
Dillon Francis - Masta Blasta [Mad Decent]
Eliphino - More Than Me [Some Think Sounds]
Lone - Once In A While [Werk]
Synkro - Closed Doors [Millions of Moments]
James Fox - Put It Back [Take]
New York Transit Authority - Off The Traxx [Lobster Boy]
Jon Convex - Bump and Grind [Convex Industries]
Deadboy - Wish U Were Here [Numbers - run by Jackmaster + Spencer]
Hackman - Agree To Disagree [Ramp]
Disclosure - Tenderly [Make Mine]
Julio Bashmore - Ribble To Amazon [3024]
Kingdom - SFX [Dirtybird]
Midland & Ramadanman - Your Words Matter [Aus]
Boddika & Joy O - Swims [Swamp81 - run by Loefah]
Serani - No Games (Brackles Remix) [Rinse - home to Monki's radio show]
DJ Cra$y - That Amen Track (Breach Remix) [Dirtybird]
Katy B - Broken Record (Todd Edwards Angel Voice Mix) [Rinse]
Fantastic Mr Fox - If I [Black Acre]
Dauwd - What's There [Pictures]
Baobinga ft. Rider Shafique - Gun Talk [Build]
Untold - Come Follow Me [Soul Jazz]
Randomer - Lime Pie [Numbers]
Lo:tek - You Don't Know My Name [Super]
Leon Vynehall - Say 2 U [N/A]
Skinnz - Put It On [Well Rounded]
Koreless - Up Down Up Down [Pictures]
Rustie - Hover Traps [Warp]
French Fries - Champagne [Clek Clek Boom]
A1 Bassline - Falsehood [Tighten Up]
>> Bok Bok - Reminder [Night Slugs]
Ifan Dafydd - No Good [N/A]
Teeth - Shawty (FaltyDL Remix) [502 - run by Oneman]
Bwana - You Never Stop [Infinite Machine]
Lunice - I See You (Girl Unit Remix) [LuckyMe]
Canblaster - Triple Ring [Nightshifters]
Peverelist - Dance 'til The Police Come [Hessle - run by Ben UFO]
Boddika - 2727 [Swamp81]
Arkist & Kidkut - Vanilla Imitate [Hotflush]
Wiley - It's Wiley (Mickey Pearce Remix) [Prodigal]
Maddslinky a.k.a. Zed Bias - 50 Shades Of Peng ft. Skream [Tru Thoughts]
Kahn - Tehran [Punch Drunk]
>> Ikonika - Simulacrum [Hyperdub]
Sinden - G Like Me ft. G-Side (Mιlι Remix) [Mad Decent]
Loefah - Mud V.I.P. [DMZ/Planet Mu]
Jamie Grind - Without You [Fortified]
Hyetal - Pixel Rainbow Sequence [Reduction]
>> Taz Buckfaster - Au Revoir [Bleep]

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
New Burial is somethin fierce. It speaks to me.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Anae posted:

Got me a residency at one of my favourite club nights which I'm chuffed about. They asked me to do a mix for them too, and the tracklist is now up so I thought I'd post it here. For the mix I used every headliner they've ever had, and no one else, which was a fun challenge, and I think it turned out fairly well. Have a gander!

http://soundcloud.com/fiftyone27/mix-002-aerial

Looks solid, I'll check this out now. Congrats on the residency!

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

I've got it in for your girlf
Kindred EP is Burial's best work to date.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

kmag mix from Surge, repping Wheel & Deal.

Soap Dodgers, Sleeper, Widowmaker, LAXX, Surge, Kinzy, Taiki & NUlight - all producers bringing the fiyah.

http://audio.kmag.co.uk/editorial/features/surge-guest-mix/surge-kmag-mix.mp3

Tracklist
code:
Lost & Beezy – Untitled – Dub
Kinzy – Ganja – Dub
Fused Forces – Nebulous – Dub
N-Type & Surge – Triangles – forthcoming Wheel & Deal
Soap Dodgers – Ill Mind – forthcoming Wheel & Deal
LAXX – Darker – Dub
Beezy & Dubface – Godstone Killer – Dub
Surge – Swaying Mantis – forthcoming Wheel & Deal
Clue Kid – Into The Jungle – forthcoming Terrain
Widowmaker – Forgotten Ruin – forthcoming Wheel & Deal
Sleeper – Zombies – Chestplate
LAXX – Sound Of The Universe – Dub
N-Type & Surge – Mega-Tron – forthcoming Wheel & Deal
Mr Boogie – Steppin Flea Circus – forthcoming Sin City
LAXX & Soap Dodgers – High Roller – forthcoming Biscuit Factory
Taiki & Nulight – Unison – forthcoming Sin City
Kinzy – Alien Intelligence – Dub
Surge – Ctrl Alt Delete – forthcoming Wheel & Deal
Ipman – Raindance – forthcoming Wheel & Deal
Surge feat. Pyxis – Leech – forthcoming Wheel & Deal

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Porcupine and The Hope are some of the biggest records I've heard in a while, blowing my mind.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Kindred EP is Burial's best work to date.

Yes I'm enjoying it too, certainly draws you in.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Normally I'd wait those extra few days and include this in my Friday round up, but since I've been diggin' the sound of it quite a bit and I know there are a good few Randomer fans out there, his new single on Hemlock is pretty drat good.

And if you're a bit on the slow side like me and you've only just realised there is a video for Goth-Trad's Anti-Grid, well here it is. Probably not going to appear on an MTV near you however, all very arty farty. Personally not enough glamour models for my liking but hey, when you're on a budget you make do I guess.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Naturally as soon as I move away from Denver the local promoters announce a Deep Medi takeover. Mala, Quest, VIVEK, Commodo, Truth, and Silkie.

I've had opportunities to see a lot of shows here in New York, naturally, but school keeps me away. I missed Clicks & Whistles again :(

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I just got back from seeing DJ Manny b2b J-Cush, DJ Rashad b2b DJ Spinn, Loefah, and Falty DL b2b Dave Q in a tiny dark back room of a bar in Brooklyn.

Great sets all around. Footwork from the footwork DJs, then Loefah played some Swamp stuff then some garage, ending on Highland Spring. Not too much dubstep but he played a good hour of DMZ stuff when I saw him Monday so it was okay. He also played Pulse X and Ice Rink tonight and it was my first time hearing either on a system. Falty DL and Dave Q played some footwork then a bunch of jungle when the 20 or so people left started yelling for it. I went over to say hi to Loefah and he saw my Suburban Base shirt and asked "How do you know about Sub Base?" I told him I was really in to rave and he said "I'm gonna go play a Sub Base song for you right now." and put on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRtTkvhAxF0

Really incredible night.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

JamesKPolk posted:

Really incredible night.

Wow, that sounds really fantastic - I am very, very jealous. Sadly, I'll never see anything remotely like that - we get the occasional tour but nothing on that level.

Ice Rink and Pulse X are two of my favorite tunes, I buckled a few weeks ago and picked up both of those tunes on vinyl (although I suspect the Pulse X may be a bootleg, still sounds great though).

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Was browsing a new interview with Elijah & Skilliam and found this tasty bit:

quote:

Production-wise what else have you got in store for us in 2012? Any special collaborations?

Skilliam: We just did the Rinse 17 compilation towards the end of last year and right now we are working on a collaborative project with Greensleeves the reggae label to do some grime v reggae stuff later on this year. We are also working with a clothing label from New York called Mishka and doing some limited edition t shirts too.

The whole thing can be read here: http://www.wefearsilence.com/stuff/2012/02/music/elijah-skilliam-live-from-paris-mix-interview/

The Mishka x Night Slugs shirts were really well done so these will most likely be must purchases for me (I already have 3 butterz shirts and a jumper). The Live from Paris mix has some nice tunes, I cannot wait for Champion - Crystal Meth.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Just finished this one up. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avyZ7qbl04w

knox
Oct 28, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

I just got back from seeing DJ Manny b2b J-Cush, DJ Rashad b2b DJ Spinn, Loefah, and Falty DL b2b Dave Q in a tiny dark back room of a bar in Brooklyn.

Great sets all around. Footwork from the footwork DJs, then Loefah played some Swamp stuff then some garage, ending on Highland Spring. Not too much dubstep but he played a good hour of DMZ stuff when I saw him Monday so it was okay. He also played Pulse X and Ice Rink tonight and it was my first time hearing either on a system. Falty DL and Dave Q played some footwork then a bunch of jungle when the 20 or so people left started yelling for it. I went over to say hi to Loefah and he saw my Suburban Base shirt and asked "How do you know about Sub Base?" I told him I was really in to rave and he said "I'm gonna go play a Sub Base song for you right now." and put on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRtTkvhAxF0

Really incredible night.

Really awesome. I wish I was Loefah, loving coolest dude ever.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Decline posted:

I cannot wait for Champion - Crystal Meth.

Actually speaking of Champion, this has made me remember Crazy is out in a few weeks too on vinyl and digital for the ladies out there. You've all heard at least one of the mixes off it by now as it's been rocked by any half-decent DJ, but the Terror Danjah & DOK mix still is hype.

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011

isomerc posted:

Just finished this one up. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avyZ7qbl04w

I want to hear the whole thing! The bass is massive.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

mcstanb posted:

I want to hear the whole thing! The bass is massive.

Much appreciated. It's like 99% done, along with a few others Im getting ready for my 2nd release.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

JamesKPolk posted:

drat thats an insane lineup!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

New Jam City track + video. Quality as usual from him. http://vimeo.com/36447595

Dude has a 12" coming out at the end of the month and then an LP in May. Excited to say the least.

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

I've got it in for your girlf
Can this thread take a full page to just talk about Burial's work and how it's a mile above everyone else in the UK Bass scene. He might be a prophet.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Can this thread take a full page to just talk about Burial's work and how it's a mile above everyone else in the UK Bass scene. He might be a prophet.

You know what, if you asked this circa 2007 and Untrue/Ghost Hardware I'd have agreed with you. Now that definitely really shook up the Dubstep scene at the time, massively massively. Now though - as much as I like this new release and Street Halo before it(and I know some of you didn't) - I definitely don't think it he's as away out there as he used to be. Other people catching up maybe?

Like I said though I've been liking the sound of the Kindred EP, but it's definitely very Burial which does make me a bit worried for some reason. That's why I was saying earlier I'd love to hear him really shake things up a bit and be a bit more corporeal. On saying that though I can definitely hear him starting to do so at times with this release, gain a bit more presence. I wonder what the inevitable album will be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

You know what, if you asked this circa 2007 and Untrue/Ghost Hardware I'd have agreed with you. Now that definitely really shook up the Dubstep scene at the time, massively massively. Now though - as much as I like this new release and Street Halo before it(and I know some of you didn't) - I definitely don't think it he's as away out there as he used to be. Other people catching up maybe?

Like I said though I've been liking the sound of the Kindred EP, but it's definitely very Burial which does make me a bit worried for some reason. That's why I was saying earlier I'd love to hear him really shake things up a bit and be a bit more corporeal. On saying that though I can definitely hear him starting to do so at times with this release, gain a bit more presence. I wonder what the inevitable album will be like.

100% agreed. It's a great release but it's as outstanding or unique as others do.

• Locked thread