Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm making blts tonight. Is there anything I could put into homemade mayo to make it better? Or should I stick to the best foods?

Make your own mayo! or better yet, make aioli! It's easy.

Also, a good BLT is determined, arguably, by the quality of the tomato. So seeing as how it's winter....good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I've got either a 12 ounce can of corned beef or about a pound of fresh ground beef to work with. I've had my daily fill of vegetables, so dinner is mostly going to be fats/proteins. I'm trying to decide what the hell to do with it that would be simple and tasty, which I can split into multiple small, sensible portions. Are there any recommendations?

Googling about for recipes ends up with some pretty rich meals, or with a bunch of extra vegetables that I can't fit into my diet.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Splizwarf posted:

Holy crap, is it a textbook? And amazing? I mean, if it's actually worth the $450 I'm probably interested.

e: Oh, 6 volumes and a shitload of science magic. Yeah, that's probably worth the money. :allears:

I recommend McGee's "On Food And Cooking" for a cheaper (starter) option.

On Food and Cooking purchased. Modernist might have to wait until I have a bit more spare cash.

This book is good, I am currently learning more than I knew I wanted to know about milk.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Stupid question: why is the inside part of my pound of ground beef brown, while the outside is red/pink?

Just got home from the grocery store, it's a rough pound (500+ grams, every package slightly different), and I dropped it into the pan to make store-brand hamburger helper. Breaking it up with a spatula, I noticed the parts that were on the outside are red, but that layer is less than 1/4 inch thick; the inside is brown/grey.

Food colouring to make it more appealing to dumb consumers like me? Something to do with oxygen?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

ExecuDork posted:

Something to do with oxygen?

The outer part is red because it's been exposed to more oxygen. The introduction of a small amount of oxygen from the grinding process causes it to turn brown, but because the outside is exposed to more oxygen it ends up red.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

theflyingorc posted:

On Food and Cooking purchased. Modernist might have to wait until I have a bit more spare cash.

This book is good, I am currently learning more than I knew I wanted to know about milk.

I'm flipping through it as well now, this book is awesome.

Did you know:

Fin whale milk is 42% fat, where Cow milk is only 3.7%?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Have you ever been in the ocean? It's loving cold.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Have you ever been in the ocean? It's loving cold.

Depends where you are in the world. First time I went to Puerto Vallarta and jumped into the water having grown up in San Francisco, the ocean felt very very odd.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Dude I live in Denmark, no location in Denmark is further from the coast than 52 km (32 mi).

But imagine it. Milking a whale. Whale cream. What the gently caress, just typing that felt weird

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Darval posted:

Dude I live in Denmark, no location in Denmark is further from the coast than 52 km (32 mi).

But imagine it. Milking a whale. Whale cream. What the gently caress, just typing that felt weird

I have now learned how to make butter, a thing I had no idea I wanted to know. Seriously guys who recommended this book, you are awesome and this is exactly what I wanted.

Welp, off to milk a whale.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Lots of garlic. And throw some avocado on the blt because blats are better than blts.

this was awesome. Didn't have any avocado, but I'm sold on garlic Mayo on blts.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a basque seafood stew? Finding a lot of mediocre-looking crap out there.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

theflyingorc posted:

:hfive:

I really dug that section. I knew what koumiss was before I read it, and thought it seemed like a pretty nasty idea; after I'd finished the milk section I was like "well, it does still sound awful, but I gotta know". :3: Still haven't found a source so I guess I should try making it!

Also, try kefir if you've never had it, it's started showing up in normal grocery stores in the last year or two. It's got a lot of active cultures so theoretically it's really helpful for replacing gut flora if you're on antibiotics, and I think it's pretty great even when I'm not sick. Raspberry kefir especially has a particular acid edge that's delicious.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Awesome/Annoying Pro Pot Roast:

Part A: the meat
1. Sear big pieces of tough meat (bottom round, brisket, short ribs, etc) until very brown (this is like 80% of the flavor), set aside
2. Pour off excess fat, deglaze the cooking vessel with red wine/beer/stock/water :smith:. Hold onto this goodness somewhere.

Part B: the veg
1. Separately, roast/saute mirepoix until well colored
2. Add tomato paste to mirepoix, continue to cook until rusty colored. Set aside.
3. Same as above, deglaze with red wine/beer/stock/water :smith:

Part C: Construction
1. Put the mirepoix in your cooking vessel in one of two ways:
-on the bottom of the vessel with a layer of cheesecloth on top
-in a bag of cheesecloth
2. Put your meat in the vessel
3. Put a sachet in the vessel: tightly closed cheesecloth with thyme, bay leaf, blackpeppercorns and coriander
4. Put flavorful liquids in the vessel: all your deglazed bits, and ideally stock, but water works too :smith:

Part D: Cooking
1. Cover your cooking vessel and cook in the oven low and slow.. overnight at 275 is ideal, but 325 for... idk 6 hours? or 350 for 4 hours.. there's some graph that is temperature and time dependent. Just check the meat, the other end of a spoon should pass through easily.

Part E: The extra pro steps
1. Cool the pot roast in the cooking liquid, removing the veggies and sachet before you do. Yes sorry, if you want to be extra pro you wont eat it on the same day.
2. Remove the fat from the gelatinous goodness. If its completely cold it should come off as a giant hunk from the top.
(2b if you cant wait a day and still want to defat your poo poo quickly, through a poo poo ton of ice on top of the stock - it will solidify most of the fat and then you can just physically take it out with your hand.)
3. The next day, remove the meat from the hopefully super gelatinous stock. Trim any extra fat, cut it into portions if you wont eat it all at once, etc.
4. Reduce the cooking liquid until its just salty enough for your taste, you can slurry it up and all that if you like.

Part F: loving FINALLY
1. reheat your pot roast in a pan with some of the sauce and a bit of extra water -- basically in the amount of time it takes to reheat you want your thinned out sauce to return to its former saucy consistency.
=====

So that's how we would do Kobe pot roast at my restaurant, please feel free to make shortcuts where appropriate for you, serve over awesome mashed potatoes and roasted veggies.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I made I-tal stew on Saturday (totally inauthentically using chicken stock) and it's been in the fridge since. Smells fine, but my wife and I disagree over its safety. I say it's good, because it smells OK, but she says chicken stock in the fridge for four days is bad. If it makes a difference, the chicken stock was freshly made on Saturday morning.

What's the verdict?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Scientastic posted:

I made I-tal stew on Saturday (totally inauthentically using chicken stock) and it's been in the fridge since. Smells fine, but my wife and I disagree over its safety. I say it's good, because it smells OK, but she says chicken stock in the fridge for four days is bad. If it makes a difference, the chicken stock was freshly made on Saturday morning.

What's the verdict?

I say if it smells fine, it's fine.

If it bothers your wife that much, toss a touch of water in and keep it at a boil for awhile.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Halalelujah posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a basque seafood stew? Finding a lot of mediocre-looking crap out there.

Basque food is all about making the most of simplicity. So for a seafood stew, I would do like so:

Fry up some onions and peppers in olive oil. Bells would be okay if you can find GOOD bell peppers, but otherwise go with whatever is available that provides a fruity taste and not too much heat.

When everything is starting to brown a bit, add some tomatoes (use jarred if you have to). Cook for 10 or 15 minutes or until the tomatoes have broken down some.

Cover with fish stock or wine and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add a couple of roughly cut potatoes and turn down the heat a bit. Cook until the potatoes are almost soft, adding liquid if needs be.

Add your fish. You can use whatever tickles your fancy here - usually you see tuna in a recipe, but anything that's not too delicate would be fine. Add it in in chunks and cook until it's done.

Season with salt and pepper. If you need to thicken the stew at the end, use bread as the thickening agent. Before serving, add a little bit of extra olive oil on top. And if you want to be real authentic, you have to serve this with bread, a dish of beans, and wine served in mason jars.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Scientastic posted:

What's the verdict?

Eat it, its fine.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Is there a thread for candy making? I'm curious about making my own extremely sour candy (like warheads or super lemon) but I'm not sure how difficult it would be or where to begin. It seems a number of different acids are used in sour candy making, but I'm curious if it would be easy to make something more sour than commercial candies by simply adding more acid.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

MoosetheMooche posted:

Is there a thread for candy making? I'm curious about making my own extremely sour candy (like warheads or super lemon) but I'm not sure how difficult it would be or where to begin. It seems a number of different acids are used in sour candy making, but I'm curious if it would be easy to make something more sour than commercial candies by simply adding more acid.

It's usually just Citric or ascorbic acid. You can mail order these or buy them at a homebrew shop. Other than that, they're just hard candies.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Basque food is all about making the most of simplicity. So for a seafood stew, I would do like so:

Fry up some onions and peppers in olive oil. Bells would be okay if you can find GOOD bell peppers, but otherwise go with whatever is available that provides a fruity taste and not too much heat.

When everything is starting to brown a bit, add some tomatoes (use jarred if you have to). Cook for 10 or 15 minutes or until the tomatoes have broken down some.

Cover with fish stock or wine and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add a couple of roughly cut potatoes and turn down the heat a bit. Cook until the potatoes are almost soft, adding liquid if needs be.

Add your fish. You can use whatever tickles your fancy here - usually you see tuna in a recipe, but anything that's not too delicate would be fine. Add it in in chunks and cook until it's done.

Season with salt and pepper. If you need to thicken the stew at the end, use bread as the thickening agent. Before serving, add a little bit of extra olive oil on top. And if you want to be real authentic, you have to serve this with bread, a dish of beans, and wine served in mason jars.

You rock, thanks wiggles.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My recipe calls for bottled clam juice -- I have littleneck clams. Can I boil the clams in water and use that in place of the bottled clam juice? How much should I reduce it? til it looks sorta like the bottled stuff?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

My recipe calls for bottled clam juice -- I have littleneck clams. Can I boil the clams in water and use that in place of the bottled clam juice? How much should I reduce it? til it looks sorta like the bottled stuff?

Are they live clams? If so, cook the clams in a bit of white wine until they open then drain and reserve the liquid.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Are they live clams? If so, cook the clams in a bit of white wine until they open then drain and reserve the liquid.

Yep they're live. How much is a bit? Enough to cover?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yep they're live. How much is a bit? Enough to cover?

Not even that, you can cook them in a half cm or so of wine and cover them to steam.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
Hey, I'm looking for a recipe similar to something I've had before. A bakery near where I used to live had these super-thin lemon cookies. It was similar to a sugar cookie, except obviously with lemon flavor. They were soft and bendable. I know this isn't a lot to go on, but is this something any of you have heard of?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Not even that, you can cook them in a half cm or so of wine and cover them to steam.

OK. The recipe I mentioned is calling for 24oz of clam juice. Will the wine clam liquid be enough to replace it?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

OK. The recipe I mentioned is calling for 24oz of clam juice. Will the wine clam liquid be enough to replace it?

It really depends. Do they mean tomato juice with clam liquid in it, like clamato? What's the recipe?

24oz of "pure" clam juice is a pretty huge amount for a non-commercial kitchen.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

It really depends. Do they mean tomato juice with clam liquid in it, like clamato? What's the recipe?

24oz of "pure" clam juice is a pretty huge amount for a non-commercial kitchen.

its from a cooks illustrated cookbook. And I was wrong. It calls for 32oz!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Alright, I'm bowing out because that is an insane amount of pure clam juice.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I had some smoked ribs at a barbecue recently, and now I'm craving more. The ones I ate came out of a smoker the size of a trailer, but all I've got at home is a Weber kettle grill.

Is there a way I can smoke meat low and slow with this thing? I haven't really used it for much aside from high-heat grilling.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

GrAviTy84 posted:

Poaching in a court bouillon is a nice low fat and tasty way to poach a food. Honestly though, homemade marinades don't really add that many calories, why avoid them?

If you want a great and flavorful way to healthfully cook many proteins, check out cooking en papillote. This was a bit trendy about 10 years ago or so. I think reynolds pushed it with their foil, but it's a legit way to cook things. Because it's sealed the aromatics stay contained, if you use parchment paper, you don't need to add much oil at all.

Thanks, I'll try those out.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

chunkey posted:

Anyone have a recipe for some tasty poached chicken, without a lot of calories added in the form of marinade/gravy/whatever?

Probably not quite what you are looking for, but

Poach the chicken in water with a big chunk of peeled ginger, spring onions, and a halved and peeled onion. Reserve the cooking liquid and take the chicken out when done.

Use the cooking liquid to cook a pot of rice. If you have it, put a pandan leaf on top. If you don't, don't sweat it.

Mince ginger and spring onions (slightly more ginger than onions), add some of the reserved cooking liquid and a tiny bit of oil. You're looking to make a chunky paste of the ginger and spring onion inside a small amount of chicken broth. Taste it, and adjust it to your liking.

Chop up the chicken, and eat it with the rice.

Dips: ginger-spring onion as described, dark soy sauce, chili sauce.

All 3 are good individually, or all together. Don't ever use too much dark soy sauce unless you are super into salt. You only ever need to dip a tiny corner of the chicken into it to get the taste.

usually I just eat the ginger-spring onion with a tiny bit of dark soy, if any. The ginger bite is awesome.

This is more about the smooth texture of the poached chicken and its light taste combined with a bit of sauce.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

a handful of dust posted:

I had some smoked ribs at a barbecue recently, and now I'm craving more. The ones I ate came out of a smoker the size of a trailer, but all I've got at home is a Weber kettle grill.

Is there a way I can smoke meat low and slow with this thing? I haven't really used it for much aside from high-heat grilling.

Cheater way is cook low and slow in the oven and finish them on the grill.

Its harder, but you can smoke on a kettle. Put coals on one side and a pan of water on the other. For smoke put soaked chips on the coals and keep an eye on the temp cause it'll bounce around more than a larger smoker. Oh and put the ribs over the pan, not the coals.

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011
I'm trying to come up with bulk cooking ideas, because I'm pretty drat lazy but can't afford and/or can't tolerate lovely fast food or frozen fake meat.

My go-to item for now is tacos. Here's how it goes down.

1lb ground beef
2 cans corn
1 bell pepper
1 jalapeno
1/2 packet of McCormicks 27 ways to may or may not get cancer spice packet
Lots of brown rice
White tortillas
Canned refried beans and cheese dip (currently trying different brands because Great Value white queso is as bland as it gets)

The beans and queso are mixed together and kept separately.

This costs about 10 bucks and I eat lots of tacos for 2-3 days.

I'm going to start sampling different brands of mac and cheese and bulk cook that just to have something else to eat on. I still make sandwiches, eat fruit, cook pancakes, etc, but bulk cooking tacos has given me a great tasting meal that leaves me full and takes minutes to heat up.

Any ideas on mac and cheese? Figured I could throw some beef in there, but I'd like to avoid it, as its kind of expensive and not the best thing for me. Every batch of tacos I've made I've halfed the beef and its still been fine.

I've done spaghetti however I'm not a big fan of tomatoes and its kinda hard to make spaghetti that interesting. Its good now and then though. Anything else to bulk cook? I'll give chili a whirl soon and fart constantly for a couple days like last time.

I'd love to eat chicken instead of beef but it just microwaves so poorly. Would it still dry out and lose all flavor if I minced it into a near powder form?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Soups, stews, dals, chilis, etc. are basically designed for bulk cooking. Just multiple the recipe by however much space your pot has.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

a handful of dust posted:

What size of a kettle is it? If you have a bit of extra money, you can make a sweet little smoker out of a Weber smokey joe and a 25 dollar tamale steaming pot.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Where is the best place to get some fish for making sushi? I live in southern Arizona, so getting it from a fish market isn't possible for me. There are a few Asian supermarkets in town though.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I need some recomendations about how to stew boar

Last time I did the corsican boar stew with chestnuts, truffle oil, porcini and other vegs, but my wife found the boar taste overwhelming - I think the earthy mushroom taste just made it stronger. It was also quite greasy, but I still loved it

So, what other ingredients should I use to draw attention away from the boarishness of it all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Super Dude posted:

Where is the best place to get some fish for making sushi? I live in southern Arizona, so getting it from a fish market isn't possible for me. There are a few Asian supermarkets in town though.

If you're going to make your own sushi, you want fish that has been properly flash frozen to kill parasites. A fish market actually isn't necessarily ideal if it's all fresh off the boat, because you likely lack the ability to flash freeze it (which protects the texture better than the way it would slowly freeze in your freezer) and also freezes it to a lower temperature than household freezers typically get. What you really need to find is a fishmonger that you trust who can tell you what has been properly frozen. I find Asian markets to be difficult for that as there is often a language barrier that prevents good communication.

Also, "sushi grade" lacks any legal definition. It could mean that the fish has been properly frozen, but doesn't necessarily mean that.