Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This one. If you liked Timecrimes, I think it's safe to say you will also like Triangle.

I started watching Triangle last night, but went to bed after an hour, thinking, "well, I'll finish it tomorrow."

It's tomorrow now, and it's been pulled off watch instant. A lesson: Always finish your drat movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

IMB posted:

I started watching Triangle last night, but went to bed after an hour, thinking, "well, I'll finish it tomorrow."

It's tomorrow now, and it's been pulled off watch instant. A lesson: Always finish your drat movies.

This happened to me with Inland Empire :(

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lilyhammer is great! So far as of writing im two episodes in... Does the show only scale up as it progresses?

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
It's been mentioned before, but Arrested Development fans really need to give Running Wilde a chance. The jokes/wordplay are very similar. I feel bad for not watching it when it was airing :(

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Well, it's similar except the part where it's not even a little bit funny.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

maxnmona posted:

Well, it's similar except the part where it's not even a little bit funny.

Its funny..somewhat. Too bad it ended so abruptly. I'd say the first half is better than the last.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I find a lot of similarities between AD and Happy Endings. I thought Happy Endings was supposed to be showing up on instant back in January but whichever site I found it on was wrong.

So hopefully that'll show up soon.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

weekly font posted:

should i watch ITWAN i want to but i cant bring myself to be as uncomfortable as I was during Guys and Dolls

On the uncomfortable scale it's a solid 5 out of 10. The two creepy guys are pretty much harmless--although one seems borderline. It's an entertaining flick.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

IMB posted:

Son of a bitch I was going to watch it this weekend. I hate how stuff disappears. :(

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

They just added a bunch of Corman's New World stuff, including the awesome as hell Humanoids from the Deep.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

mod sassinator posted:

Son of a bitch I was going to watch it this weekend. I hate how stuff disappears. :(
It's weird how some things are removed immediately, and others will alert you weeks or even months in advance of it's removal. You would think Netflix would know ahead of time, too, but maybe they just get an email from the license holder telling them to take off something ASAP.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wilhelm Scream posted:

They just added a bunch of Corman's New World stuff, including the awesome as hell Humanoids from the Deep.

Humanoids from the Deep is an absolute must see. It is the scummiest, seediest monster movie imaginable.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Humanoids from the Deep is an absolute must see. It is the scummiest, seediest monster movie imaginable.

Seconding this, its really great.

Also, Mary and Max is a solid pick available on Netflix. It follows the penpal relationship between Mary, an unpretty Australian girl under the care of some questionable parentage, and Max, an aged man with Asbergers living in New York City. The film is done in claymation and switches perspectives between both characters as the film progresses, covering the passage of time and the aging/trials both characters experience.

I really enjoyed it, but its not a feel-good movie by any stretch of the imagination.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Plus motm Rock and Roll High School.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Just a reminder that Chinatown is on netflix and is one of the greatest movies ever.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
My wife and I watched the first three episodes of Lilyhammer last night. It's pretty good, although it is basically just Silvio Dante's Adventures in Norway (which isn't all in all such a bad thing). It also feels like a show made by Norwegians that happens to star an American lead, rather than a US show with WACKY Europeans, which I appreciate.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I'm on kind of a Gary Busey kick lately and noticed Eye of the Tiger is on instant. Is it as awesome as it appears to be? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW1kOerkFjI

-Cash-in on a one hit wonder
-Gary Busey
-nazi from Raiders as the villain

foodfight fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 16, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Popular Human posted:

My wife and I watched the first three episodes of Lilyhammer last night. It's pretty good, although it is basically just Silvio Dante's Adventures in Norway (which isn't all in all such a bad thing). It also feels like a show made by Norwegians that happens to star an American lead, rather than a US show with WACKY Europeans, which I appreciate.

I feel like this is a weird kind of dream series for me because I always felt like Silvio had so little to do on the Sopranos.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I feel like this is a weird kind of dream series for me because I always felt like Silvio had so little to do on the Sopranos.

I agree. Which is funny because Steven Van Zandt is not really an actor by trade. In fact before the Sopranos he had zero acting experience. He was pretty much awesome in every scene he was in in the Sopranos.

I really need to catch this Lilyhammer.

For those that don't know, Stevie is a guitarist/vocalist/mandolin...er? in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Correction: Little Steven.

Anyway, it's probably for the best that Silvio was, at most, a featured extra, because his portrayal of the character is so ridiculously over the top stereotypical that it might have been too much to deal with. Then again the same could be said of at least half the characters on that show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Correction: Little Steven.

Anyway, it's probably for the best that Silvio was, at most, a featured extra, because his portrayal of the character is so ridiculously over the top stereotypical that it might have been too much to deal with. Then again the same could be said of at least half the characters on that show.

The story goes that the entire reason he was cast as Silvio was because Van Zandt did his Italian Gangster impression on stage when Springsteen was inducted into the Rock and Roll HOF. One of the creators saw it and asked him to come audition for the show. So you're right in that the character genesis is based entirely on a stereotypical impression.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's one of the more awesome characters though -- always loved him on Sopranos, he never betrayed anyone.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm thinking today is gonna be a Wong Kar Wai triple feature! I haven't seen any of these, so it should be interesting.

Days of Being Wild

Ashes of Time

In the Mood for Love

Guess there's gonna be a lot of frowny people!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In The Mood For Love is an absolutely gorgeous film, ditto Days of Being Wild. I think I'll have to follow your lead with Ashes of Time.

In other news I'm refreshing my memory with Humanoids from the Deep and holy poo poo does this movie turn into Deliverance.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Seconding Beer Wars. It is a great documentary and gives great insight to the what some people already know about the big beer companies.

It was sad searching Moonshot beer and seeing it was effectively banned by the uproar caused by Four Loko being banned.

Highly recommended.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think its been on Netflix for awhile, but its the best Halloween movie I've seen in quite some time. Trick 'r Treat just popped up on my suggestions and it is a pretty cool and fun horror movie.

It is more fun than scary, but it is by no means a family film. It is very gory and they don't hesitate to kill young children which is why, I imagine, it never got a wide release.

It's basically 4 interweaving stories in a single town on Halloween. Lots of dark humor, lots of fun suprises, and overall good horror storytelling.

Check it out.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Seconding Beer Wars. It is a great documentary and gives great insight to the what some people already know about the big beer companies.

It was sad searching Moonshot beer and seeing it was effectively banned by the uproar caused by Four Loko being banned.

Don't be, Moonshot was loving awful.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Saturday the 14th was added on netflix recently which is a good early 80's pg comedy/horror movie with some pretty hilarious scenes.

It's pretty weird though in that it seems like it's a third generation vhs copy complete with video distortion during the video. Makes me wonder how they get some of these videos as it did have a dvd release.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Oh man how did i miss this? Was there no promotion or anything when this came out or were my friends and I under a rock at the time?

We had fun last night watching it. The story dragged a bit but the visuals more than made up for it.
Keep an eye out for Godzilla on the front page of the Japanese newspaper in the shot showing a stream of headlines.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bantaras posted:

Oh man how did i miss this? Was there no promotion or anything when this came out or were my friends and I under a rock at the time?

We had fun last night watching it. The story dragged a bit but the visuals more than made up for it.
Keep an eye out for Godzilla on the front page of the Japanese newspaper in the shot showing a stream of headlines.
I loved that movie, aside from some of the slow pacing at points. I think we are among the few, though. Everyone I knew at the time hated the title, the premise, the visual aesthetic, and wanted nothing to do with it, but I can't imagine why. It was essentially DC Comics' Blackhawks meets Marvel Comics' S.H.I.E.L.D. (including Angelina Jolie as a sexy female version of Nick Fury), set in the world of the '40s Max Fleischer Superman cartoons.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Bantaras posted:

No, it certainly got a lot of promotion, especially with the hooks that it was one of the first movies that was almost entirely blue-screened and was essentially built off the dream project of one guy who spent four years making a trailer for it. It just fared poorly at the box office and dissapeared pretty quickly, my guess is because the general public didn't find the visual style and tone it was going for appealing.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

In The Mood For Love is an absolutely gorgeous film, ditto Days of Being Wild. I think I'll have to follow your lead with Ashes of Time.

In other news I'm refreshing my memory with Humanoids from the Deep and holy poo poo does this movie turn into Deliverance.
I like Ashes of Time better than the other two, but apparently I'm in the minority holding that opinion. :)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I loved that movie, aside from some of the slow pacing at points. I think we are among the few, though. Everyone I knew at the time hated the title, the premise, the visual aesthetic, and wanted nothing to do with it, but I can't imagine why. It was essentially DC Comics' Blackhawks meets Marvel Comics' S.H.I.E.L.D. (including Angelina Jolie as a sexy female version of Nick Fury), set in the world of the '40s Max Fleischer Superman cartoons.

The fact that half the movie is in a rather disgusting soft lens sepia tone didn't do much for watching it. The universe was good, but the whole FULLY BLUESCREEN gimmick didn't really pan out well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad) is up.

It's about the BOPE favela Military police guys in Rio. Great flick. 2nd came out last year but is tough to find in the states.

I'm an idiot. It's the 2nd one. Go watch the first one before.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 18, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Christoff posted:

Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad) is up.

It's about the BOPE favela Military police guys in Rio. Great flick. 2nd came out last year but is tough to find in the states.

I'm an idiot. It's the 2nd one. Go watch the first one before.

The second one is a superior movie, IMO. It's nothing fantastic, but it's a nice action/police flick that has some depth - although much of it is very simplistic and has weird undertones if you take it too seriously/at face value.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I loved the 2nd but it was completely different than the 1st.

The 1st is mostly action and "YEAH KILL BAD GUYS!" and the 2nd is more politically charged with a lot more depth.

That being said watch both in order.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I loved that movie, aside from some of the slow pacing at points. I think we are among the few, though.

We really are. That movie is fantastic. Those robots are so creepy.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
Battle Beyond the Stars just came on today! Basically, Seven Samurai in space with the soundtrack from Star Trek 2. It is all kinds of awesome.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also Orca! I mean, I have it on DVD, but everyone else, you must see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modern villian
May 4, 2009
I just watched a documentary last night called Cropsey. It's about two filmmakers investigating an urban legend from their childhood in Staten Island. The actual investigation of folklore leads into the investigation of a man convicted of kidnapping mentally challenged children and murdering them. The story ends up having a lot to do with Willowbrook State School(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willowbrook_State_School), a school on Staten Island that housed mentally challenged children.

I found the actual storytelling of the two filmmakers to be pretty sub par, but the story itself was very interesting. They use footage of a investigative report by Geraldo Rivera on Willowbrook that is intensely disturbing.

• Locked thread