Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So wait, does GameCenter integration mean iOS games are playable on the Mac? I don't see how that would work with multi-touch or motion-sensitive games.

I don't want to have to rebuy Mac ports of all my iOS stuff. But I am psyched about the changes.

Edit: The Mountain Lion icon looks pretty tame compared to Lion, gotta say. I really thought this was a joke until I loaded it on Apple's site.

TACD fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

does the new Notes thing mean I have to use iCloud to sync it between iPhone and Mac or can I still use my google account (and have all the notes pushed to gmail)

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

bulbous nub posted:

AirPlay mirroring my MBP to my AppleTV is an instant day one purchase. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

This. Hopefully it means able to play videos on my Mac and have it mirrored onto AppleTV instead of having to convert them to an AppleTV-supported format.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TACD posted:

So wait, does GameCenter integration mean iOS games are playable on the Mac? I don't see how that would work with multi-touch or motion-sensitive games.

I don't want to have to rebuy Mac ports of all my iOS stuff. But I am psyched about the changes.

Edit: The Mountain Lion icon looks pretty tame compared to Lion, gotta say. I really thought this was a joke until I loaded it on Apple's site.

No, it probably just means that Mac games will get GameCenter integration like leaderboards, etc.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
1. iCloud. Have Windows Live ID and Live Mesh integration in windows for nearly 3 years now. Works across mobile devices already.
2. Messages. Windows Live Messenger has social integration already which is on par with this.
3. Reminders. Windows Live calendar does this and gives you alerts through windows live messenger and email.
4. Notes. NOTHING on this planet compares to Microsoft's OneNote.
5. Notification center. Windows live has one built in that you can integrate with. Oh and you also have the system tray.
6. Share sheets. Windows has had "sent to" since about 1996.
7. Twitter. Windows live integration.
8. Game center. We have shops for that and Steam and all sorts. It's an open market.
9. Airplay mirroring. Woo yay etc. Windows media player (!) does this with my Sony Bravia with no complaints. I can right click a video file and select "play on Bravia" and it appears on it straight away. This required NO CONFIGURATION and no special boxes. Both have wireless cards in them. No store or DRM available or required.
10. Gatekeeper. Windows firewall is actually on par with this and is an application AND/OR system level firewall. Microsoft security essentials is the rest.
11. Chinese features. Windows is the mainstream OS in china for a reason (i.e. excellent language support).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hahaha they loving stole Growl and made them into Notification Center banners, hilarious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kirk back to yospos with you :|

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Kirk posted:

1. iCloud. Have Windows Live ID and Live Mesh integration in windows for nearly 3 years now. Works across mobile devices already.
2. Messages. Windows Live Messenger has social integration already which is on par with this.
3. Reminders. Windows Live calendar does this and gives you alerts through windows live messenger and email.
4. Notes. NOTHING on this planet compares to Microsoft's OneNote.
5. Notification center. Windows live has one built in that you can integrate with. Oh and you also have the system tray.
6. Share sheets. Windows has had "sent to" since about 1996.
7. Twitter. Windows live integration.
8. Game center. We have shops for that and Steam and all sorts. It's an open market.
9. Airplay mirroring. Woo yay etc. Windows media player (!) does this with my Sony Bravia with no complaints. I can right click a video file and select "play on Bravia" and it appears on it straight away. This required NO CONFIGURATION and no special boxes. Both have wireless cards in them. No store or DRM available or required.
10. Gatekeeper. Windows firewall is actually on par with this and is an application AND/OR system level firewall. Microsoft security essentials is the rest.
11. Chinese features. Windows is the mainstream OS in china for a reason (i.e. excellent language support).

I don't see what the point of this post is? Nothing Apple is doing is totally new with 10.8 , it's just slick and refined, and people will actually use it unlike half those Windows features.

edit: oh I shouldn't have fallen for that

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

I hope Gatekeeper isn't going to be a pain for developers.

It's not. It's basically a checkbox when you compile your application. Check box, application will run on every Mountain Lion system with default settings.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OK Messages had better support MSN when 10.8 is released :mad:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do I dare install Mountain Lion on my daily driver MacBook Air? :ohdear:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

I was another one of those is this a really early April's fools joke when I saw the articles but when I actually read the Verge one I was pretty happy it wasn't a joke. Funny cause I remember telling my friend AirPlay would own if it was on the laptops. May have to finally get an apple tv and stop waiting for them to come out with an A5 update.

I would hold out for a bit longer, the aTV might be refreshed shortly, possibly with 1080p support, which you'd probably want with mirroring a computer display. Or at least wait until it works on the developer preview in case it's not all that great. (but apple tv is awesome right now anyway, so whatever).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do I dare install Mountain Lion on my daily driver MacBook Air? :ohdear:

Can't you just make a separate partition or something.

Actually, can you boot an Air from USB? Wonder if you can install it on an external drive then.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Can't you just make a separate partition or something.

Actually, can you boot an Air from USB? Wonder if you can install it on an external drive then.
ThunderBolt external. :slick:

edit: Download isn't going too slowly at 7 MB/s.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 16, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But seriously, if I can install this to an external USB drive then I will give it a shot tonight.

e: Does App Store actually tell you how fast the download is going? I redeemed my code and it's just .. downloading with no real status.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Manky posted:

I'll admit to basically total ignorance in terms of how MS dev signing works, but if for OS X it's tied to an Apple account, wouldn't that make it more unlikely for it to be misused? Even if Apple doesn't require serious verification, it should be easy to trace/blacklist stuff as it goes through their system.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if, with those gatekeeper settings, the first time you launched a non-mas, dev-signed app, it checked online (or a regularly updated local database) for the validity of the certificate. If it's flagged, it could warn the user. I don't know.

The approach Apple is taking to policing their ecosystem is interesting. On Windows, the burden is really on the user, and the best weapon is being informed of how to avoid risky behavior. Something bad happens, sure windows sucks herp derp, but it's still kind of onthe user. The way Apple is taking things out of the hands of users is - good, probably, since ideally one company can be much more effective by itself than the collective efforts of a mostly apathetic consumer base. But that's still a big responsibility, because in the future, if something goes wrong, people will blame Apple for telling them not to worry about it.
I probably should have clarified: I love this feature. Locking down application bundle execution is absolutely a good idea to have configurable.

I'd just like to see it expanded to Security Center Essentials levels. Not that the Mac malware landscape is really as large or as dangerous yet, but it'd be another bulwark that keeps us from running down the line that Microsoft has had to deal with for.. geeze... decades now.

Also: Kirk: :golfclap:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

But seriously, if I can install this to an external USB drive then I will give it a shot tonight.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't. I'm pretty sure drat near every Intel Mac can boot off of USB.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm pretty sure drat near every Intel Mac can boot off of USB.

Oh yeah. I forgot. Um. I guess I won't be trying this out tonight after all :smith:

subhuman hackintosh user

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

unruly posted:

I'd just like to see it expanded to Security Center Essentials levels. Not that the Mac malware landscape is really as large or as dangerous yet, but it'd be another bulwark that keeps us from running down the line that Microsoft has had to deal with for.. geeze... decades now.

Don't forget that the system already is downloading malware signatures on a regular basis and blocking applications—there's just not a pretty front end and an animated "Scanning..." bar.

It's not doing anything to stop the spread of Windows malware, but neither does MSE care about Mac malware.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat considering buying a developer account so I can run OS X alphas.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fren posted:

It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat considering buying a developer account so I can run OS X alphas.
As long as you submit quality bug reports, I don't see a problem with this.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That $99 could be better spent towards an SSD if you don't have one already.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah. I forgot. Um. I guess I won't be trying this out tonight after all :smith:

subhuman hackintosh user

How were you gonna install it anyway without having a bunch of hacked up kexts or however it is hackintoshes work. Think, McFly

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The .app file has a .dmg inside, just like Lion did so we could hack together a bootable install disc.

I guess I'll give it a shot!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kirk posted:

How were you gonna install it anyway without having a bunch of hacked up kexts or however it is hackintoshes work. Think, McFly

These will probably exist in 2-4 days anyway so :cool:

But yeah. Oh well, definitely looking forward to reading everyone's NDA-breaking reports :q:

e: Just finished the download. Was nice and fast :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If you guys haven't picked up the link from MacRumors there's a couple more interesting tidbits here:

quote:

Apple sees a fundamental difference between software for the keyboard-and-mouse-pointer Mac and that for the touchscreen iPad. Mountain Lion is not a step towards a single OS that powers both the Mac and iPad, but rather another in a series of steps toward defining a set of shared concepts, styles, and principles between two fundamentally distinct OSes.

iCloud document storage, and the biggest change to Open and Save dialog boxes in the 28-year history of the Mac. Mac App Store apps effectively have two modes for opening/saving documents: iCloud or the traditional local hierarchical file system. The traditional way is mostly unchanged from Lion (and, really, from all previous versions of Mac OS X). The iCloud way is visually distinctive: it looks like the iPad springboard — linen background, iOS-style one-level-only drag-one-on-top-of-another-to-create-one “folders”. It’s not a replacement of traditional Mac file management and organization. It’s a radically simplified alternative.

Apps have been renamed for cross-OS consistency. iChat is now Messages; iCal is now Calendar; Address Book is now Contacts. Missing apps have been added: Reminders and Notes look like Mac versions of their iOS counterparts. Now that these apps exist for the Mac, to-dos have been removed from Calendar and notes have been removed from Mail, leaving Calendar to simply handle calendaring and Mail to handle email.

The changes and additions in Mountain Lion are in a consistent vein: making things simpler and more obvious, closer to how things should be rather than simply how they always have been.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Molten Llama posted:

Don't forget that the system already is downloading malware signatures on a regular basis and blocking applications—there's just not a pretty front end and an animated "Scanning..." bar.

It's not doing anything to stop the spread of Windows malware, but neither does MSE care about Mac malware.
You're right. Though, I would like to have some sort of System Preferences > Security tab to either give me some basic information (last download, etc) so that I can be more aware of the functionality.

Also: ClamAV. Yes, I know that MSE doesn't give two shits about Mac malware, it's not like we can't be good citizens and remove/quarantine it when we find it. Again, this service doesn't need to be particularly in-your-face like MSE, but it should have a presence somewhere so that when some drooling middle manager or "TECH XPRT" comes by to deride OS X's apparent lack of security, they can be easily proved wrong.

Also2: Can we get a .pkg uninstaller?

Also3: If I install iMessage Beta, am I going to completely ruin iChat for the foreseeable future?

unruly fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 16, 2012

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
I am looking for a small script or app that will cause the backlight on the screen to pulse on and off when my macbook air is hooked up to an external screen with the lid closed, thus making the apple slowly pulse as well. Is there something like this already available? or at least somewhere with enough information on the basics of mac programming to let me create my own?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Gism0 posted:

woops.

Apple is loving with me.

Demos
Mar 4, 2004
Have you passed through this night?
Is there any real reason for someone without a iOS-device to use Messages over, for instance, Adium?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Demos posted:

Is there any real reason for someone without a iOS-device to use Messages over, for instance, Adium?

you can talk to people on iOS devices, isnt adium just a client for aim/msn/icq whatever networks kids use these days

Demos
Mar 4, 2004

Kirk posted:

you can talk to people on iOS devices, isnt adium just a client for aim/msn/icq whatever networks kids use these days

Most folks I know are on Android devices of one type or another. Adium is a client, yeah. But I mean, Messages seems fairly useless unless you actually use that particular network. Which I know next to no-one who does (even the ones with iPhones/iPads).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Demos posted:

You might not have an iOS device, but if you talk to someone who has one it might be easier to use iMessages than Adium.

I guess it depends on who you talk to. If you don't see a need to use it then I guess that's your answer right there.

Personally I hated Adium and used iChat exclusively. Thus for me Messages.app is amazing.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Demos posted:

Most folks I know are on Android devices of one type or another. Adium is a client, yeah. But I mean, Messages seems fairly useless unless you actually use that particular network. Which I know next to no-one who does (even the ones with iPhones/iPads).

if you have an iPhone and ios5 chances are you're set up for iMessage since it automatically uses it when talking to other people with iOS5

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

First annoyance with Messages is that clicking on the dock icon brings up the message window instead of the buddy list. I guess I could use the menulet, but buddies that are away don't show up there.

Demos posted:

You can still use it without having to use the iMessage service.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Demos posted:

How do you mean 'that particular network'? If they have iOS devices and are on iOS 5 then they can use iMessage.

I'm in California and right now am sending free text messages to friends back home in England. This is rad.

Google Voice, sorry but it's looking like you missed your chance to expand overseas and enjoy a worldwide monopoly on this sort of thing. (I wish Apple would offer number-forwarding and I'd be SET.)

Demos
Mar 4, 2004

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

First annoyance with Messages is that clicking on the dock icon brings up the message window instead of the buddy list. I guess I could use the menulet, but buddies that are away don't show up there.

You can still use it without having to use the iMessage service.

Yeah, I figured as much. But my question remains: what are the advantages of using this particular client over, for instance, a well-established IM application such as Adium? I mean, it can't hurt to try it out. I guess I'm just curious if anyone's actually switched to Messenger from other clients. It seems like it's main usefulness stems from making it easy to talk to folks with iOS-devices - which in itself isn't particularly useful to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also iChat/Messages will gladly talk over AIM/Jabber. I've got AIM and Google Chat buddies in my list right now. They just made the UI consistent with the iOS iMessages app and added iMessages protocol to iChat*.

* I mean outwardly. I'm sure they rewrote a ton of poo poo inside.

Demos posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. But my question remains: what are the advantages of using this particular client over, for instance, a well-established IM application such as Adium? I mean, it can't hurt to try it out. I guess I'm just curious if anyone's actually switched to Messenger from other clients.

It's just another messaging app. It's not themeable like Adium, and doesn't do as many protocols as Adium. If you don't need to use the iMessages protocol to talk to your iOS buddies then there is very little to entice you to convert unless you feel like trying it. Is that what you're looking for?

It is, however, a very nice messaging app that is (will be) stock in the OS.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 16, 2012

Demos
Mar 4, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Also iChat/Messages will gladly talk over AIM/Jabber. I've got AIM and Google Chat buddies in my list right now. They just made the UI consistent with the iOS iMessages app and added iMessages protocol to iChat*.

* I mean outwardly. I'm sure they rewrote a ton of poo poo inside.

It's just another messaging app. It's not themeable like Adium, and doesn't do as many protocols as Adium. If you don't need to use the iMessages protocol to talk to your iOS buddies then there is very little to entice you to convert unless you feel like trying it. Is that what you're looking for?

Yes, that sums it up. Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Messages is fantastic. I had tried iChat before and went back to Adium, but the integration of iMessage makes the transition a no brainer. The single window for everything is great.

The best part was when it kept a Google Talk & iMessage with the same person in one conversation.

I just wish you could shrink the text size in the buddy list.