Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Just finished reading Ultimate X-men 7 and... welp. I'm a little disappointed that they've decided to go down this particular route.

Also I burst out laughing when I saw there was that full body picture of Scarlet Witch. It is easily the most hilarious and needlessly cheese cakey panel I've seen in a long time and I read Vampire Vixens of the Wermacht (check it out, it's as awesome as it sounds). It honestly seems like as well as enhanced strength and added toughness the standard mutation that all mutants get are 'double d's at least'

Kind of annoyed that Ultimate X-men isn't going anywhere very fast. The first issue was dull but the line that was pretty much 'I'm Kitty Pryde and this is how I became the worlds most wanted terrorist' was enough to sell me on it. This issue might have been enough to make me skip next months unless it reviews well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Interesting detail: Look who is working in Wundagore to make the Nimrods.

Does this mean the Multiple Men built them BEFORE Ultimatum?

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

I think the simpler answer is that Wolverine didn't really kill Madrox.

Also, that scene has to take place after Fallout, as that's when the CEO guy and Quicksilver first met.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Mister Roboto posted:

It's always pretty easy to bring madrox back from the dead. There was just a version of him hiding somewhere! Done.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Sion posted:

Just finished reading Ultimate X-men 7 and... welp. I'm a little disappointed that they've decided to go down this particular route.

Also I burst out laughing when I saw there was that full body picture of Scarlet Witch.

I was really happy with UXM until now, because of this. The artist changed, right? The art, in general, looked worse this issue...

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I dunno I don't think so. I remember there being a couple of really awkward full body shots of Kitty and Rogue in pretty much the same place as Wanda. One thing that kind of annoys me is how far off model it is - Wanda was a skinny, dark haired girl with eurotrash leanings. I guess the first time that really started to go 'off' was when Joe Mad did Ultimates 3 and basically drew characters looking however the gently caress he fancied and in a way that made it seem a lot like he'd mistaken it for 616.

And now, because I can:

It's you, comics. She's talking to you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goddamnit.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I'm honestly tempted to put it in funny panels.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Her telling Pietro he was dressed ridiculous was the only thing that saved that sequence. :catstare:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Her telling Pietro he was dressed ridiculous was the only thing that saved that sequence. :catstare:

Nothing saved that. It was dead by the time eyes hit cleavage.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

"No more duck lips."

*Myspace vanishes*

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Hickman is leaving Ultimates later this year, due to getting a "job offer he couldn't refuse." (Avengers?) The new co-writer and future solo writer, beginning with #10, is Sam Humphries (Our Love Is Real).

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'll wait to see what this job is before I say "poo poo, that sucks." I hope the Marvel stuff doesn't impinge too much on his ability to write quality original books - I found Transhuman and Red Mass for Mars better than any of his mainstream books, and the ideas in them feel better developed. Actually, I'd love to see him write a more lengthy series of his own creation.

One minor question about the most recent issue which probably interested no one but me - Reed takes off his helmet and has some kind of conehead thing going on from evolutionary treatments. Yet a few panels later, his head is back to normal. I presume he chose to appear normal, but if so, why the hell would you walk around in anything but a normal shape? Because that head looked pretty gross.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Neurosis posted:

One minor question about the most recent issue which probably interested no one but me - Reed takes off his helmet and has some kind of conehead thing going on from evolutionary treatments. Yet a few panels later, his head is back to normal. I presume he chose to appear normal, but if so, why the hell would you walk around in anything but a normal shape? Because that head looked pretty gross.

You don't have to spoiler that, the book's been out for weeks. But anyway, to answer your question, I think the conehead is just him using his stretchy power to increase the size of his brain and be smarter. 616 Reed's done it before, although I think he said that it didn't actually help, but it's been so long since I've seen whatever actual comic that was in, maybe it did help. Beats me.

If it's not for that, than I'm pretty sure it's just to be regal and poo poo. After all, he's supposed to be the leader of the City. The one thing I'm wondering if they'll explain is the time distortion inside the bubble. Apparently, it's been generations inside the City, but Reed still looks the same. Of course, that could just be his powers, hell, he could effectively be immortal; but whenever Falcon went in, he didn't emerge years older and it wasn't some sort of amazing "You were only in there less than a minute" reveal. HOW DOES YOUR MAGIC CITY WORK, RICHARDS? :doom:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 19, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TwoPair posted:

You don't have to spoiler that, the book's been out for weeks. But anyway, to answer your question, I think the conehead is just him using his stretchy power to increase the size of his brain and be smarter. 616 Reed's done it before, although I think he said that it didn't actually help, but it's been so long since I've seen whatever actual comic that was in, maybe it was did help. Beats me.

I think Earth X came up with the idea of stretching the brain to stimulate intelligence and it's been mimicked in 616 a few times.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

TwoPair posted:

You don't have to spoiler that, the book's been out for weeks. But anyway, to answer your question, I think the conehead is just him using his stretchy power to increase the size of his brain and be smarter. 616 Reed's done it before, although I think he said that it didn't actually help, but it's been so long since I've seen whatever actual comic that was in, maybe it was did help. Beats me.

If it's not for that, than I'm pretty sure it's just to be regal and poo poo. After all, he's supposed to be the leader of the City. The one thing I'm wondering if they'll explain is the time distortion inside the bubble. Apparently, it's been generations inside the City, but Reed still looks the same. Of course, that could just be his powers, hell, he could effectively be immortal; but whenever Falcon went in, he didn't emerge years older and it wasn't some sort of amazing "You were only in there less than a minute" reveal. HOW DOES YOUR MAGIC CITY WORK, RICHARDS? :doom:

With regards to Reed being immortal, IIRC he said it was a result of his powers in the last issue. As for the time distortion, I think it was active only while Reed was building the city and preparing to invade.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Neurosis posted:

I'll wait to see what this job is before I say "poo poo, that sucks." I hope the Marvel stuff doesn't impinge too much on his ability to write quality original books - I found Transhuman and Red Mass for Mars better than any of his mainstream books, and the ideas in them feel better developed. Actually, I'd love to see him write a more lengthy series of his own creation.

The Manhattan Projects #1, his new Image ongoing, is out March 7.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/09/manhattan-projects-hickman-teasers-einstein-gagarin/

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TwoPair posted:

If it's not for that, than I'm pretty sure it's just to be regal and poo poo. After all, he's supposed to be the leader of the City. The one thing I'm wondering if they'll explain is the time distortion inside the bubble. Apparently, it's been generations inside the City, but Reed still looks the same. Of course, that could just be his powers, hell, he could effectively be immortal;

They did explain Reed, basically longevity is part of Reed's powerset, he just didn't know that as a teenager.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well the thing to remember is that Ultimate Reed is nowhere near biologically human.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Senjuro posted:

With regards to Reed being immortal, IIRC he said it was a result of his powers in the last issue. As for the time distortion, I think it was active only while Reed was building the city and preparing to invade.

Yeah, as soon as it opened up they were in real time.

It'd be interesting if any aging Reed does is entirely due to his subconcious idea of how he should be aging.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Only Ultimate Spider-man this week. It'd be nice if Marvel hadn't spoiled the covers for the different issues over the course of the last month or so too! Also, hasn't there been a Scorpion in USM before now?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sion posted:

Only Ultimate Spider-man this week. It'd be nice if Marvel hadn't spoiled the covers for the different issues over the course of the last month or so too! Also, hasn't there been a Scorpion in USM before now?

Yup, he was one of the Peter-Clones from the Clone Saga. There was Scorpion, Spider-Woman, Tarantula and the one with the messed up face that was kinda Ultimate Kaine.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Neurosis posted:

It's probably something his helmet does to increase his intelligence. He mentioned having to use technology to keep up with the city so the helmet is probably the result of that. As soon as the helmet is down his head starts shrinking.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dacap posted:

Yup, he was one of the Peter-Clones from the Clone Saga. There was Scorpion, Spider-Woman, Tarantula and the one with the messed up face that was kinda Ultimate Kaine.

And only Scorpion and Spider-Woman survived. The others were killed by Doc Ock.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It's too bad they're introducing a new Scorpion because a demented Peter clone could be an interesting villain for Miles

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Dacap posted:

It's too bad they're introducing a new Scorpion because a demented Peter clone could be an interesting villain for Miles

Well it would be but not right away. Give him time to get to the point where he's working his rear end off, idolising Peter and then pull the rug out from under him with the whole 'ah yes but this is what happens to you if you're a hero here is evil peter parker now what!'

Don't go all guns blazing at the start.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sion posted:

Don't go all guns blazing at the start.

Man, I really wish this comic had gone guns blazing at the start. It's soooooo slow. I know it's a deliberate storytelling pace being established so that we can know Miles better as a person but holy poo poo can I not wait for him to stop being in the "starting out" phase.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Lurdiak posted:

Man, I really wish this comic had gone guns blazing at the start. It's soooooo slow. I know it's a deliberate storytelling pace being established so that Bendis can sell more books per story arc, but holy poo poo can I not wait for him to stop being in the "starting out" phase.

Fixed that for you. I like the new USM, but it is crawling, which is what I expect from anything Bendis writes anymore (and why USM is the only book of his I'm reading anymore)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, fair enough. There's really no way to justify a two-panel conversation taking up two pages. I didn't mind USM's original slow start because, like everyone else I knew, I didn't give half a poo poo about the Ultimate line when it was announced and thought it was just going to be some horribly gimmicky sad attempt at being more current. So when I finally broke down and bought USM trades after hearing it praised so much, the insanely slow start was well over with and I was able to read it all in one sitting of half an hour.

Contrast to Miles, whom I loved as an idea as soon as he was revealed, which seems like a billion years ago by now. Why isn't THIS the Spider-man run that comes out 3 times a month? Then we might get a single issue's worth of story every month.

Derrio
Oct 13, 2010

That's not funny.
Do did anyone else smile a little when Miles stuns Omega Red with his venom punch, and then fist-pumps the air? After reading so many dour X-men comics, it's nice to have a panel like that.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Derrio posted:

Do did anyone else smile a little when Miles stuns Omega Red with his venom punch, and then fist-pumps the air? After reading so many dour X-men comics, it's nice to have a panel like that.

I did.

And the "You shut up" comeback.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I did.

And the "You shut up" comeback.

Even better than the comeback itself was his instant realization about how lovely a comeback it was. I miss Peter, but god drat Miles is awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I also loved how he came up with a line Peter had as well which ended pissing Omega even more.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TheJoker138 posted:

Even better than the comeback itself was his instant realization about how lovely a comeback it was. I miss Peter, but god drat Miles is awesome.

My thoughts exactly. I'm still sad Peter's gone, but if we have to have a replacement, I'm glad it's Miles.

The only complaint I have about USM is the speed at which it's coming out. I don't mind Bendis' long game plans and slow builds, but I wish it was biweekly.

I also love how the new Spider-Man "confirms" to the villains that Peter survived. That's a really nice minor plot point that I hope stays around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Myrddin Emrys posted:

My thoughts exactly. I'm still sad Peter's gone, but if we have to have a replacement, I'm glad it's Miles.

The only complaint I have about USM is the speed at which it's coming out. I don't mind Bendis' long game plans and slow builds, but I wish it was biweekly.

I also love how the new Spider-Man "confirms" to the villains that Peter survived. That's a really nice minor plot point that I hope stays around.

We need Bagley to return

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

bobkatt013 posted:

We need Bagley to return

Ew, no thank you.

What's wrong with Sara Pichelli?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ew, no thank you.

What's wrong with Sara Pichelli?

Nothing, her art is amazing. People are just bitching that she doesn't have a faster turn-around like Bagley did despite the fact that they have wildly different styles.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kaleidoscope posted:

Nothing, her art is amazing. People are just bitching that she doesn't have a faster turn-around like Bagley did despite the fact that they have wildly different styles.

I don't think anyone is bitching about it, we just miss getting the comic twice a month because Bendis' writing style reads much better that way.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't think anyone is bitching about it, we just miss getting the comic twice a month because Bendis' writing style reads much better that way.

We still get it twice a month, they're just using a bunch of different artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

d00gZ posted:

We still get it twice a month, they're just using a bunch of different artists.

Man, first the guy saying that we were lucky to get one issue every two months, now this. No. We have gotten exactly 1 issue of USM every month since the new numbering/debut of Miles, with the exception of that first month where we did get two issues. Unless you're counting all Ultimate stuff as one thing for some reason. Or unless they have plans on doing this in the future which I haven't heard about.

• Locked thread