Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I only used iChat for Facebook because not a lot of people have iPhones or Macs over here, but I'm hoping that Microsoft is going to update Messenger this year because MSN is still the go-to IM over here and the OSX messenger is pretty much from 2009. I'd use something else but aMSN looks like rear end, Adium drops messages like there's no tomorrow and Emesene crashes on load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
If I am messaging with someone, will my iphone buzz for every incoming message even if I have the messages client open on my computer? Or is it smart enough to only push to the device that I have open?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I'm so disappointed... it looks like my early 2008 white macbook isn't going to work with Mountain Lion (it has 32-bit EFI).

*sigh* I guess this is going to be a bigger upgrade than I imagined.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Tutu posted:

I don't see what the point of this post is? Nothing Apple is doing is totally new with 10.8 , it's just slick and refined, and people will actually use it unlike half those Windows features.

edit: oh I shouldn't have fallen for that

To be fair he was right on one thing, OSX really needs a OneNote.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Demos posted:

I guess I'm just curious if anyone's actually switched to Messenger from other clients.

Yo, that would be me.

Adium > Messages:
------
MSN support
Wacky skins

Messages > Adium
------
iMessage support (killer app for most people - answer texts from your pc? yes plz)
AV chat support
Way more attractive UI
Super-easy chat transcript search
Super-easy interface for sending messages (start typing name, it autopopulates from address book)

Neither Messages nor Adium
------
Skype support (Adium has it in a hack but all it does is echo from a running copy of Skype)

Adium is slightly better than iChat unless you need AV chat. Messages blows Adium away.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

dexter6 posted:

If I am messaging with someone, will my iphone buzz for every incoming message even if I have the messages client open on my computer? Or is it smart enough to only push to the device that I have open?
It pushes to all devices. Was testing out Messages in bed on my Mac and my iPhone next to me was buzzing merrily with each new message. However, once the messages are read the notifications tidily vanish on the iPhone :)

echobucket posted:

I'm so disappointed... it looks like my early 2008 white macbook isn't going to work with Mountain Lion (it has 32-bit EFI).

*sigh* I guess this is going to be a bigger upgrade than I imagined.
Where are you getting Mountain Lion tech specs from?

Demos posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. But my question remains: what are the advantages of using this particular client over, for instance, a well-established IM application such as Adium? I mean, it can't hurt to try it out. I guess I'm just curious if anyone's actually switched to Messenger from other clients. It seems like it's main usefulness stems from making it easy to talk to folks with iOS-devices - which in itself isn't particularly useful to me.
Like I said, if it integrates MSN (and ideally Facebook chat too) then I'll use it without question; I guess I don't have that much demand for killer features and I prefer stock apps when possible. If there's no MSN then it's useless to me and I'll use it for iMessages only and keep on trucking' with Trillian (waiting for the Digbsy Mac release :v: )

Demos
Mar 4, 2004
Have you passed through this night?

Lum_ posted:

Yo, that would be me.

Adium > Messages:
------
MSN support
Wacky skins

Messages > Adium
------
iMessage support (killer app for most people - answer texts from your pc? yes plz)
AV chat support
Way more attractive UI
Super-easy chat transcript search
Super-easy interface for sending messages (start typing name, it autopopulates from address book)

Neither Messages nor Adium
------
Skype support (Adium has it in a hack but all it does is echo from a running copy of Skype)

Adium is slightly better than iChat unless you need AV chat. Messages blows Adium away.

It's the lack of FB-chat and that MSN that kind of kills it for me. I just installed it, and while it looks really great, lacking support for the network where most of my friends are active doesn't cut it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Rough testing reveals:

If you have Messages.app open on your computer and receive a message while Messages.app has focus, your iOS device will NOT audibly notify
If you have Messages.app open on your computer and receive a message while an app OTHER than Messages.app has focus, your iOS device WILL audibly notify.

However all registered iMessages targets will receive the message to keep the conversation in sync.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo Safari 5.2 doesn't do a max tab size. This looks weird.

edit: more importantly, the search box is gone. It's a unified address bar finally.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Demos posted:

It's the lack of FB-chat

It supports FB chat.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

TACD posted:

Where are you getting Mountain Lion tech specs from?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5544/apple-releases-os-x-108-mountain-lion-preview

quote:

The list of supported Macs includes:

• iMac (mid 2007 or later)
• MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
• MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
• Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
• Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
• Xserve (Early 2009)

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

Martytoof posted:

Rough testing reveals:

If you have Messages.app open on your computer and receive a message while Messages.app has focus, your iOS device will NOT audibly notify
If you have Messages.app open on your computer and receive a message while an app OTHER than Messages.app has focus, your iOS device WILL audibly notify.

However all registered iMessages targets will receive the message to keep the conversation in sync.

That's kind of awesome. Adium used Growl to alert me to new chats; Messages.app uses my iPhone. Growl was a lot cheaper. :v:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Holy poo poo Safari 5.2 doesn't do a max tab size. This looks weird.

edit: more importantly, the search box is gone. It's a unified address bar finally.

I wish there was a way to back port the new Safari UI :( I hate not having unified URL bar -- also: can we finally customize our search engines?

Messages "fullscreen":

unruly fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 16, 2012

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Ever since Lion came out, iChat (now Messages I guess) has had support for plugins to add services.

There is an MSN plugin for iChat called Cocoon at the moment, but it's still a beta and has a lot of missing features (like avatars).

There's also a fairly limited IRC plugin that Apple made as a proof of concept.

But that's about it as far as iChat plugins go.

EDIT: also Facebook chat is just Jabber so all you have to do is add it as a jabber account. (<facebookusername>@chat.facebook.com or something like that)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

unruly posted:

also: can we finally customize our search engines?
You mean like custom queries/syntax? Doesn't look like it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does the new "omnibar" show proactive results as you type a URL/query?

e: Wait on second thought don't break NDA, nevermind.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

You mean like custom queries/syntax? Doesn't look like it.
More like I don't want Google, Yahoo! or Bing, can I choose a new provider (like DuckDuckGo)?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Does the new "omnibar" show proactive results as you type a URL/query?
Like this?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

unruly posted:

More like I don't want Google, Yahoo! or Bing, can I choose a new provider (like DuckDuckGo)?
Doesn't look like it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

e: Wait on second thought don't break NDA, nevermind.
Yeah I should probably shut up. I don't allow iOS beta chat in IYG, so it's only fair to keep quiet about Mountain Lion. :(

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Doesn't look like it.
:argh: AAAAAPPLLEEEEEEE!!!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That looks awesome, and cant wait to get home to try out Messages. So glad I can toss Adium, it seems to suffer from trillian-itis where it just keeps on getting bigger and more complex and annoying.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

priznat posted:

That looks awesome, and cant wait to get home to try out Messages. So glad I can toss Adium, it seems to suffer from trillian-itis where it just keeps on getting bigger and more complex and annoying.
Sometimes that's good. I was able to connect to our Lync server using a SIPE connection. The Mac Lync client has more features, but drat if I use them.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Adobe has updated Flash for a critical security flaw [download link].

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I have an odd situation with the doc at the bottom I would like a solution for. I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.2. There is a piece of software I use on my Mac that I now have two versions installed, and use both multiple times per day. I would like to have both in the doc, with an obvious marking of which is which, either different colors, or ideally the version number on top of it. I tried some googling, but I don't think I understand enough about Mac OS to build a good search string.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Instant Sunrise posted:

EDIT: also Facebook chat is just Jabber so all you have to do is add it as a jabber account. (<facebookusername>@chat.facebook.com or something like that)
Holy poo poo, this is good to know. I would have never expected Facebook of all things to use such an open and standardised messaging protocol.

Anyone else interested in this you can get the exact setup information from https://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php (click 'other' at the bottom).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Like this?

marty's hobbies

new google privacy policy already paying off

(thank you :) )

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I hope Apple will merge iMessages sent to your phone number with ones sent to your Apple ID by the time Mountain Lion is released. It sucks only having all iMessages on my iPhone and not on my iPad (and Mac from now on). Also, it would be great if text messages were synced as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you mean retroactively?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quick warning to anyone that wants to install on an Internet Recovery-only machine (new Macs that don't have restore media or can't like the Air and Mini): this should go without saying, but do a Time Machine backup first. Mountain Lion modifies Internet Recovery too and at first stab only wanted to reinstall Mountain Lion when in Recovery mode. Wiping out the SSD with Disk Utility and a reboot solved that though, and it's back to Lion.

For those wondering, the reason I'm going back is because ML needs Xcode 4.2 which isn't compatible with some of the other developer software I use, so back I go!

Thank you, fast Internet connection.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

FLX posted:

I hope Apple will merge iMessages sent to your phone number with ones sent to your Apple ID by the time Mountain Lion is released. It sucks only having all iMessages on my iPhone and not on my iPad (and Mac from now on). Also, it would be great if text messages were synced as well.

I think there's a trick to this. You need to go into Settings --> Messages on your iOS device and tell it to change the "Caller ID" to your email address instead of your phone number. Then when people reply, it'll be sent to all your iOS devices/Messages for Mac OS X instead of just your phone.

edit: I think that's how it works. I never actually did it.
second edit: It's actually Settings --> Messages --> Receive At --> Caller ID

Siguy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 16, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

For those wondering, the reason I'm going back is because ML needs Xcode 4.2 which isn't compatible with some of the other developer software I use, so back I go!
You mean 4.4?

(Also just curious what other developer software you're using, and if you recommend it.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

You mean 4.4?

(Also just curious what other developer software you're using, and if you recommend it.)
Er yeah, that.

4.4 seems to move everything (all the tools that used to reside in the Develop folder) inside of Xcode, so I assume that's messing with things. CodeRunner can't find my compilers. It's just a small program editor that I use for class projects since Xcode is a bit unwieldy for that sort of thing.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Er yeah, that.

4.4 seems to move everything (all the tools that used to reside in the Develop folder) inside of Xcode, so I assume that's messing with things. CodeRunner can't find my compilers. It's just a small program editor that I use for class projects since Xcode is a bit unwieldy for that sort of thing.
I always wondered why they didn't do that in the first place...

Though, I'll shut up about Xcode, it saves me from having to install git in addition to the rest of my dev tools.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

FLX posted:

I think it will get to the point where we will begin to use the email addressing by default. I'm not sure how the phone number addressing would work on other devices. I realized that setting my caller id in facetime and imessage to my email helps when people reply by default it will use the email addressing and get to all my devices. I never thought about it, but there's no email address authentication anyway, so what happens if I just put anyone's email to receive messages at? Now I'm curious.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Martytoof posted:

Do you mean retroactively?
While this would be great, I don't think it will happen. It could be done easily(?) though, if the Messages App would just show conversations by contact and not by email/phone number.

Siguy posted:

I think there's a trick to this. You need to go into Settings --> Messages on your iOS device and tell it to change the "Caller ID" to your email address instead of your phone number. Then when people reply, it'll be sent to all your iOS devices/Messages for Mac OS X instead of just your phone.

edit: I think that's how it works. I never actually did it.
I did that, but most people still message me to my phone number when writing from their iPhone.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

FLX posted:

I did that, but most people still message me to my phone number when writing from their iPhone.

I know some people who actually really don't want their text messages to be on their iPad or their computer. The reasoning was that they view their phone as a personal device that no one else should look at but their iPad is something that can sit out on the couch in the living room for other people to use.

With the way Apple is emphasizing the Apple ID now (even OS updates need it in Mountain Lion apparently), I'm guessing they'll eventually abandon the phone number conceit.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

4.3 does this too. Looking at the release notes, it looks like you can ask to install command line utilities. That might fix it for you?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Rough testing reveals:

Hmm. I have messages.app open and it has focus and my iphone is still playing the new text sound alert. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Anyone installed on a 2011 MBA yet? I'm so tempted to do so. Sucks that I only have iOS developer status on my Apple ID right now, though.