Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
KTM is making them but they're not being imported.

They are pretty uncommon bikes so expect to have to travel to find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I've only seen one 690SMC for sale on craigslist in the north Texas area in the past half year, and that one was only up for a few weeks at most

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

KTM is making them but they're not being imported.

They are pretty uncommon bikes so expect to have to travel to find one.

Truth. I drove 10hrs to pick mine up (and play in the mountains :hellyeah: )

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

Truth. I drove 10hrs to pick mine up (and playcrash in the mountains :hellyeah: )

FTFY :woop:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

TheDon01 posted:

While looking for a graphics kit for my DRZ I found this image.

:catdrugs:

If you find some good ones let me know, I'm not sure where to even look. Lots of sites want a lot of money for what ends up being some stickers. :(

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've been drooling over a DRZ since the creation of this thread and watching CL all over the state religiously. I was always told (by family) all dual sports suck, either buy a streetbike or a dirtbike. After reading about the DRZ in this thread and then hearing it all again on TT/Adv I wanted one badly, screw the haters.

Your family is right about dual sports not making good "real" dirtbikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A thing that strikes a balance between two things isnt as good at being either of those things as the originals are.

MY WORD! [img-faintingsouthernbelle]

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

BotchedLobotomy posted:

If you find some good ones let me know, I'm not sure where to even look. Lots of sites want a lot of money for what ends up being some stickers. :(

Yeah I haven't had very much luck either. The few actual kits I can find are either the wrong color (bike and gear are black/red) or they are cheesy/ugly as gently caress.

I'll def. post something here if I do find it though.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

FTFY :woop:

It's true :arghfist::(

I still hold the opinion that it was more fun crashing in the mountains than not crashing while not in the mountains :colbert:

PS mountains

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

needknees posted:

It's true :arghfist::(

I still hold the opinion that it was more fun crashing in the mountains than not crashing while not in the mountains :colbert:

PS mountains

Mmmm... mountains... Agree'd!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
The more I think about racing the more I want to be able to concentrate on going fast instead of worrying about crashing and screwing up something that will never heal properly (ankles, knees). So what is the general feeling on knee braces under leathers for people who haven't blown out their knees?

It seems like the only people who use them are those who already have knee problems, but I'd want to prevent that beforehand. It also seems like unless you have a supermoto specific suit or altered suit, they will not fit under your leathers and have lots of fitment problems anyway. Some even avoid leather suits just so they can use the braces. Also there is the money issue, I really don't want to break the bank on $600 braces.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I can't help with the cost or leathers fitment issues, but I remember an article in an old thumpertalk newsletter linking to or discussing a study done that IIRC showed a significant decrease in knee injuries through the preventative wearing of knee braces. I know there was a decrease in injuries between brace wearers and those who didn't, but I don't remember if they said it was correlation or causation that linked the two. I want to say it was in a newsletter from sometime in the last year.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Does anyone really use those collar braces? I know I'd want to if I ever did track days, though I guess it'd look pretty silly.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I've seen a few in WERA race vids.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phqJiYc3e7Q

Turbo Husqvarna SM510R Supermoto

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Engine life now measured in seconds.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Engine life now measured in seconds.

He had it apart to replace a stripped 6th gear in the first place. Things like this make me glad i bought a drz instead of a fancier sumo. Sure its not as fast or as cool. but its not as likely to explode and rape my wallet.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That guy lives more during the 40 hours between rebuilds on that bike than a DRZ will in 100k miles of faithful service. I appreciate the reliability of the DRZ too, but somethings are just worth wrenching for.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What the hell it didn't even have a video of it in motion.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

hayden. posted:

Haha yeah. "ok burnout test done, lets see how it rid.. oh it's over already"

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Spiffness posted:

That guy lives more during the 40 seconds between rebuilds on that bike than a DRZ will in 100k miles of faithful service. I appreciate the reliability of the DRZ too, but somethings are just worth wrenching for.
Fixed that for you...

reliability is probably not a word that's ever been used to describe that bike. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure this the only way to describe it.

http://youtu.be/6TlNOwwQQJk

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

hayden. posted:

Does anyone really use those collar braces? I know I'd want to if I ever did track days, though I guess it'd look pretty silly.
You mean a Leatt brace? They keep your helmet from giving you killer (literally) whiplash in a crash.
It's mainly a motocross thing but I've seen a few sumo riders wear em. I don't think they're silly, no sillier than a helmet or knee braces. Just a matter of comfort, I've even started seeing jackets on the market that have shoulders/collar shaped to fit the brace.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hayden. posted:

Thats coming after the required post-burnout engine rebuild

Spiffness posted:

That guy lives more during the 40 hours between rebuilds on that bike than a DRZ will in 100k miles of faithful service. I appreciate the reliability of the DRZ too, but somethings are just worth wrenching for.

Stop quoting Harley ads.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Stop quoting Harley ads.

I lol'ed.

The 510's get a bad rap for reliability, but for what they are, it's not bad. They're race bikes, race engines.

Let's have a serious discussion about SXV's and MPR (miles per rebuild)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I wanna step in here and say my Husky has been pretty reliable, but I'm afraid it'll blow up if I do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You hear that noise? No? Listen carefully.

Thats your valves going out of spec just sitting.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

That's why I just take the shims out when I'm parked. They're like the keys to a regular bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool and I saw a guy buy a used 510 from a Ducati dealer, and went up and started talking to him about the bike. His first bike turns out, and nobody told him what a maintenance intensive bike it was. It was fun to explain in great detail and watch his face sort of realize what he'd done.

"wheres the key?"
"There is no key"

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Spiffness posted:

Zool and I saw a guy buy a used 510 from a Ducati dealer, and went up and started talking to him about the bike. His first bike turns out, and nobody told him what a maintenance intensive bike it was. It was fun to explain in great detail and watch his face sort of realize what he'd done.

"wheres the key?"
"There is no key"

Hahaha holy poo poo, what dealer was this?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ducati Seattle.

We went on a few rides with the guy, he got the hang of it pretty fast. Took the proper amount of care with the throttle, but still... helluva first street bike.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Spiffness posted:

Ducati Seattle.

We went on a few rides with the guy, he got the hang of it pretty fast. Took the proper amount of care with the throttle, but still... helluva first street bike.

Ah, that's pretty much what I figured. That shop does not have a good rap.

They're probably going out of business. They've fired drat near everybody.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

TheDon01 posted:

You mean a Leatt brace? They keep your helmet from giving you killer (literally) whiplash in a crash.
It's mainly a motocross thing but I've seen a few sumo riders wear em. I don't think they're silly, no sillier than a helmet or knee braces. Just a matter of comfort, I've even started seeing jackets on the market that have shoulders/collar shaped to fit the brace.

They're coming out (or they're already out) with Leatt's for sport bikes that are slimmer and fit over the hump of race leathers. I'd expect to see them a lot more. All the motocross guys use them now and just a few years ago people thought they were goofy new technology.

With what happened to Simo I'd expect to see more people latch on to the technology.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Goddamnit guys, I blame you for the hooliganry that has started...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hooligan Ray, first cousin of Layer Dan and Stan Derrup.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Hooligan Ray, first cousin of Layer Dan and Stan Derrup.

I totally approve!
:mmmhmm:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Come on dude, Hue Leegan. Can't believe you missed that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who Ligans on first?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

If say I can't find a 690 SMC this year. How much penis envy will I have on a DRZ?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well you'll never see another 690 on the road, or really any other non-DRZ supermotos for that matter, so not much.

Thats me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

KidDynamite posted:

If say I can't find a 690 SMC this year. How much penis envy will I have on a DRZ?

Snag a DRZ and throw on exhaust, big bore, carb, airbox mod and a cam, you'll be running around 45-50 HP and still be out less than a new 690.

• Locked thread